Start by marking “Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)

Starcrossed

(Magic in Manhattan #2)

When everything they’ve built is threatened, only their bond remains…

1925 New York

Psychometric Rory Brodigan’s life hasn’t been the same since the day he met Arthur Kenzie. Arthur’s continued quest to contain supernatural relics that pose a threat to the world has captured Rory’s imagination—and his heart. But Arthur’s upper-class upbringing still leaves Rory worried that
Published May 18th 2020 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Starcrossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starcrossed

Start your review of Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
Cadiva
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Full review later when I'm at the laptop.

***

This series is shaping up to be among my favourites, not only on the historical front, but also the urban fantasy/paranormal side of things.

I absolutely love the world-building and sense of magic that Allie has created with her series, it's 1920s Prohibition New York but with a very definite twist in the tale (yes I spelt that one right 😉 )

This absolutely is not a standalone book, it picks up pretty much where book one left off with Rory and Ace still
Evie Drae
In case any of you are living under a rock and never heard of Spellbound—Allie Therin’s first book in the Magic in Manhatten series—I’ll let you know where my head was as I dove into Starcrossed. Basically, brimming with expectation and on the very edge of my readerly seat. And—can confirm—Ms. Therin did not disappoint.

I adore this author’s voice. She has such a delightful way of weaving wit and humor into her prose that leaves the reader unsure of what to expect next—in the best of ways. One mi
aarya
2020 Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo: ‪Bootleggers

I didn’t like this as much as the first book. I agree with the other reviews that say there’s not enough backstory/explanation about book one, thus making it hard to figure out what the hell was going on. I was confused at several points, especially the Gwen/Ellis backstory and how subordinate magic works. This was all explained in greater detail in SPELLBOUND and unfortunately my book memory is useless after a year.

I confess that I’m growing wea
Caz
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

Allie Therin’s  Magic in Manhattan  series continues with book two, Starcrossed, which begins shortly after the climactic events of the previous book (Spellbound) and finds Rory and Arthur facing off against a powerful and terrifying enemy intent on forcing Rory to unlock the secrets of an incredibly dangerous relic.

Starcrossed is a direct sequel to Spellbound, and the author doesn’t spend much (if any) time recapping the events of the previous book, so it doesn’t st
Eugenia
I was so excited to read this book! I truly enjoyed the first one in the series and thought that a second book would work out some of the kinks I found in the first. Unfortunately, I encountered a new set of strains and aches, ones that simply didn't go away the more I read.

Let's begin with what I liked:
-I LOVE the premise of the story: magical artifacts; a team of roaring age magical detectives; love between opposite social classes.
-The Roaring 20's!
-NYC & Harlem
-New scenes that had no need for
Cristina
Another beautiful instalment to Allie Therin's Magic in Manhattan series.

Set immediately after the events of Spellbound , the novel gives another turn of the screw to the overall plot of the series and provides at the same time further insight into all the main characters.

Needless to say it, Rory and Arthur are a real delight to read. Rory is an adorable combination of fierceness, grumpiness and shy behaviour and Arthur, a real knight in shining armour, is a wonderful protector, generous and
CrabbyPatty
Starcrossed is the second book in the "Magic in Manhattan" series, and you definitely need to read the first book - Spellbound - as this is not a stand-alone. I read and reviewed Spellbound in June of 2019 and struggled at first to recall all the plot points as I began this book.

Starcrossed returns us to NYC in the Roaring Twenties, circa 1925, with Arthur (Ace), Rory, Jade and Zhang trying to track down Baron Zeppler's operatives and the magical relics. As the story begins, Rory and Arthur are
Roberta Blablanski
Another fabulous installment of grumpy Rory and cinnamon roll Arthur!

Once again, Therin transports the reader to 1920s New York City. The attention to detail, the fascinating settings, and in-depth world-building all make Starcrossed a fabulous read. I loved the insight into Rory and Arthur's evolving relationship., along with the introduction of new magic and magical devices.

I (im)patiently await the audiobook and the third book!

***ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a
Joyfully Jay
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
Updated for audio review:
Read Camille’s audio review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

Starcrossed is the second book in Allie Therin’s fabulous Magic in Manhattan series and picks up shortly after the end of Spellbound. The first book just blew me away and I was eagerly awaiting this next installment. The books build on one another and knowing the story from the first book is important for understanding events here, so you will definitely want to read the stories in order.

Fro
Amanda
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Starcrossed is the second book in the Magic in Manhattan series and it’s just as good as the first. Even though it took me a while to remember all the last events of the first book, I was a bit lost in the beginning so I’d say I liked Spellbound just a tiny bit more.

I really missed how adorable Arthur and Rory are with each other. They are equally so in love it’s amazing. And also ‘funny’ since they both have doubts about how the other feels.
Rory was always very insecure about his place in Arth
Santy
Since this series had quite a strong series-opener in Spellbound, I had reined in my expectations for this book when I started reading it (view spoiler). So, you can imagine my glee when I not only enjoyed this book but found it to be even better than Spellbound. I simply could not put this book down once I started.

The events of this book started a number of days after the events of Spellbound and just
Alex
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG *flails* 😍😍
Dumbledore11214
A.E. Bross
Ace and Rory are back in the newest installment of the Magic in Manhattan series, and I can assure you that Therin hasn't lost any of the enchantment, chemistry, or momentum that we saw in book one. In fact, one could easily see that she has instead built on the fabulous foundation from the first and not only show us more of the world, but give it even more depth and nuance than we had previously known.

Therin, I've learned, is good at this.

Starcrossed picks up not long after the end of Spellboun
Maria Rose
I thoroughly enjoyed this continuation of Rory and Arthur's story. I did find it helpful to do a quick skim of Spellbound first as I'd forgotten most of the other characters and main plot points (really, Rory's magic was the part I remember the most, the ability he has to 'scry' objects to see their history is my favorite part of the worldbuilding) as this continues from the end of book 1. I wouldn't recommend this one as a standalone.

The setting in 1920's New York adds a special kind of magic
Tavis
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5/5

Starcrossed almost picks up immediately where we left off from Spellbound with Ace and Rory. I'll admit that I did have a bit of trouble remembering some characters and details of the first book (it's been a while), but I did eventually get back into the groove of the story.

It starts off with a small lull in the beginning but soon kicks off into some paranormal action and mystery with our heroes trying to find out who's behind a string of gruesome murders in NYC. I'm a sucker for po
Erika
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2020
Thanks to Netgalley for a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in this series and continues right where the first one left off with Arthur and Rory's adventures as they try to keep the world safe, depending on magic and their friends.

As the plots get deeper, an enemy from Arthur's past comes back and his family's in the crosshairs. Arthur's also trying to navigate his new relationship with Rory all while Rory's trying to maintain control over an ancient art
Bookish
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌕
The moment this book started the plot started shaping itself into this such a gripping story that i couldn't put it down at all. From the Start the action got into place not even a moment to breath and let the steam get low. And still in between all this we got to see how beautiful and in love authur and Rory were.
Chemistry was soo on point in this book. As in book one i felt something was missing and this book just servers evrything that i missed from fantasy to secrets to chase to cr
Nicki Markus
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-lgbt
Starcrossed was a great continuation of Rory and Arthur's story. It was wonderful to spend time with these characters again and the book was packed with plenty of action and romance. The plot continued to hold my interest and I turned the final page eager to know how things would finally work out for all the characters and whether they would defeat the evil plans afoot. Rory and Arthur's relationship development was well handled and I found their private interactions a joy to read. I am certainl ...more
Annika
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook review

4,5 stars

There’s something addictive with this series that makes me want to live in 1925 New York. At least in theory, I am spoilt with modern day amenities and conveniences that I think I’d have a difficult time living in the past. However, I love the adventures that Rory and Arthur always seem to end up in. I love the characters and the plot. I also really enjoy the time period; I don’t read or listen to enough historical romances.

Starcrossed is mostly character driven, and wh
Taryn
Spellbound, Allie Therin’s debut fantasy romance, was one of my favorite books of last year, so you bet your biscuits I pre-ordered this follow-up. It continues the story of Arthur, a wealthy and privileged son of high society, and Rory, an orphaned immigrant with the power to see the history of objects just by touching them. I love that the book is set in 1920s New York—it’s refreshing to read a historical not set during the Regency, of course, but it’s also such a rich setting to draw from, an ...more
gimmethosebooks
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just keep rereading just keep rereading

I loved everything about this. Rory is still grumpy; Arthur is still a hovercraft; Jade and Zhang and all the others are frickin delight. I love that the villains are complicated. I love that the ex bf...wasn’t the distraction that plot device normally is and that Rory’s jealousy didn’t cause friction in their relationship...but it did cause interesting consequences.

Rory becoming the most powerful paranormal is scary and funny, and yet he maintains his ado
Solly
I loved this as much as the first book in the series! I remember being taken by surprise by how much I loved the first one, but this time I expected it to be good and I wasn't disappointed.

For real, Allie Therin creates amazing characters you want to root for, and I usually am wary of series that follow the same pairing through several books, but it works so well here because there's so much to explore in Arthur and Rory's relationships, and they're both super lovable characters. The secondary
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Starcrossed opens where the previous book, Spellbound, left off. Rory and Arthur are at Arthur’s brother (Harry)’s home. Mrs. Brodigan and Rory are there to authenticate some of Harry’s collection, while they keep their paranormal friends safe on Harry’s land. Meanwhile back in Manhattan, Zhang and Jade are investigating Mansfield’s death. Although this is a “Carina Press Romance Promise” book guaranteeing an HEA/HFN, the series reads like a historical urban fantasy with a significant story arc ...more
Henna
With Starcrossed, Magic in Manhattan becomes one of my favourite series. I loved Spellbound and expected great things, the same adorable characters, high stakes, and engaging relationships as before, and I'm happy to say that the sequel delivered everything and then some.

An absolute page-turner with plotlines weaving together seamlessly, but with enough moments where Rory and Arthur's relationship developed and deepened. Rory's still the same firecracker, shy but also ready to take down anyone w
Jessica
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have successfully finished my first audiobook! Strangely, it makes it hard to assess my overall opinion of the novel, because I'm not sure if things would leave the same impression if I were reading. Some scenes seemed to drag for me, but if I were reading I think I might have skimmed faster and not noticed.

This novel picks up shortly after Spellbound, with Rory at Arthur's brother estate in upstate NY, making terrible choices and therefore necessitating some heroic rescuing by Arthur. In an
Hart_D
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you liked Spellbound, you'll enjoy this too! I love these two together, and this plot is intriguing. The romance is in a great place at the end of the book, but aspects of the other plots remain unresolved, as they did at the end of Spellbound. I look forward to the third book. ...more
Bev
4.5 stars from me.

Nice gentle paranormal/urban fantasy series with two delightful MC's...rich, suave and debonair [but unfailingly kind] man of the world Arthur Kenzie [known as Ace], and innocent, young Italian immigrant Theo Giovacchini [but posing as Irishman Rory Brodigan to stay one step ahead of immigration]. Teddy/Rory's magical powers seem to have come on in leaps and bounds in this instalment, and Ace is obviously smitten. I loved the little jealous moments that Rory had, trying to calm
Ami
Susan
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, glbtq
3.5 stars. A lot of fun, but a few things kept me from giving it a full 4. First of all, this is definitely not a standalone novel. Therin doesn't spend anytime recapping Spellbound; she just dives right in. So make sure you familiarize yourself with the events of the first book before you start Starcrossed. Frankly, a few phrases here and there to allude to characters and events from Spellbound would have helped me feel fully engaged in this one right from the start.

I love Arthur and Rory so m
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan 2) by Allie Therin 1 1 Jan 13, 2021 10:28AM

• The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Unhallowed (Rath and Rune, #1)
  • The Engineer (Magic & Steam, #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Best Laid Plaids (Kilty Pleasures #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • Master Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #2)
  • Harvester of Bones (SPECTR Series 3, #4)
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • The Last Kiss
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Seeker of Truth (SPECTR Series 3, #3)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • Requiem for Mr. Busybody
Allie Therin is a writer and avid reader of sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. She also is, or has been, a bookseller, an attorney, a Parks & Rec assistant, a boom operator, and a barista for one (embarrassing) day. She grew up in a tiny Pacific Northwest town with more bears than people, although the bears sadly would not practice Spanish with her.

When not researching odd questions for her 1920s roman

Magic in Manhattan (3 books)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)

Articles featuring this book