Start by marking “Here the Whole Time” as Want to Read:
Here the Whole Time

Here the Whole Time

The charm and humor of To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Dumplin' in this body-positive YA love story between two boys who must spend 15 days living with each other over school break.

What would you do if you had to spend the next 15 days with your lifelong crush?

Felipe gets it -- he's fat. Not chubby. Not big-boned. Fat. And he doesn't need anyone to remind him, whic
Published November 10th 2020 by Scholastic Press (first published June 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Here the Whole Time, please sign up.
Jamie Lynn Lano There is kissing and some non-graphic petting. I would find this appropriate for any teen and up.

Start your review of Here the Whole Time
daph pink ♡
What you do when you find out that you love a book that was first published in 2017 and you are reading it now ??

a) Feel happy that you atleast got to read it or

b) decide to learn Portuguese so you don't have to wait for three years , to read an awesome piece of literature written by Vitor Martins , to get translated in English!

If you are option B , welcome to the fanclub.

OHHHH MYYYY GODDDDD !
where do I even start ? Finally literature god answered my prayers that I’ve been requesting to read a
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
This book was an absolute delight from start to finish. Do yourself a favor and add this phenomenal queer story to your 2021 TBRs immediately!!!

TW: fatphobia, homophobia
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need a second part. Like pretty seriously!

I mean I need to know what happens to them. It's just the beginning of the story, don't you think?

I mean I need to know Caio's mom's reaction to this whole story. I need it.

But otherwise this is the book that I really needed!

Forget Red White and Royal Blue. Forget Heartstoppers. Forget Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda.

For a while I mean.

Just read this cute, funny story!

I love the two main characters so freaking amazing! Cute wise, slow burn romance
Snjez
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet and heartwarming story. It deals with some serious subjects, such as fat shaming, body image, homophobia, bullying, insecurities and anxiety, but it never felt too heavy to me. I actually found it very relatable and I loved how positive and uplifting it was.

This is mostly due to our main character Felipe, whose POV we're reading. He is such a fun and quirky character, but also very authentic. His insecurities with his body image felt very real. It wasn't always easy to rea
Larry H
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Here the Whole Time literally made me happy cry.

From its dedication, which read, “For anyone who has ever gotten into a pool with their shirt on,” I knew this book was for me. I haven't found a book that spoke to me so directly in a while.

At school, Felipe is teased constantly about his weight. He knows there are people in his home country of Brazil with bigger problems, but he can’t think about those because of the constant abuse he takes from his classmates, even the stares from people on
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
This book has such a high rating that I'm really getting curious about it!
I mean it's LGBTQ+ and features two boys (or at least one) falling in love.
Also I think Felipe might turn out to be one of the most relatable characters ever.
I mean just look at that quote from the blurb:

If that's not relatable af then I don't know. *lol*
I
Marieke du Pré
Sometimes I fall in love with a book and I fell head over heels with this one. I’m totally utterly smitten! I couldn’t put it down on a quiet Saturday night and a rainy and windy Sunday. It’s cute, I laughed out loud, like almost every page, and the writing is flawless and captivating.

Felipe is a fat seventeen-year old. He’s not chubby, husky or big boned. He’s heavy, takes up space (for two people) and people look funny at him on the street. He’s self-conscious as hell, shy and being bullied be
Lauren Lanz
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, young-adult
Just thinking about this book makes me want to cry with joy, especially knowing its made so many readers out there feel seen. I'm so happy that its been translated into English!

“For anyone who has ever gotten into a pool with their shirt on.”

This dedication alone gave me a pause; even before beginning I knew it was going to be incredibly important.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Felipe is a seventeen year old constantly battling with himself over his body image and weight. His mother anno
Emma
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review HERE

I'm so happy that this book got translated and that I got the chance to read it!
First of all, let's talk about the cover. It's perfection, have you ever seen anything more beautiful?
But I know you're reading this review to know more about the book, so here it goes.

This book is about Felipe and his long-time crush on his neighbor Caio. Felipe is a fat boy who just can't wait to fin
Kai
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
Ever since I heard about this gay YA book being translated into English I needed it in my hands. We don't get a lot of YA translations, and even fewer queer YA translations, but I'm super curious about what growing up queer is like for teens around the world. No experience is the same, and I feel like most YA lit is very americanised, so it's great to see non-English language writers being given a wider audience.

I thought this was a beautiful and quick read with a main character who's easy to lo
Katie B
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By the end of the first chapter I had already fallen in love with the main character. One of the great things about reading is sometimes you just totally click with a fictional character even though you might not have much in common with them. Felipe is someone worth knowing and I strongly encourage all the young adult fiction fans to give this book a look.

Felipe is 17 years old and lives with his single mother in Brazil. He gets picked on at school for his weight so he is thrilled a school brea
Sakshi
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
5 stars

Reading this book didn't feel like reading, it felt like i was talking to someone and they were telling me their story, about a new and unusual experience they had a while ago. It felt familiar, i don't know why but i loved this book more because of it.
When Rainbow Rowell recommended this book, I knew I had to read it and I'm so glad I did because this book is a must read.

There are so many things I love about this book, so I'm just gonna talk about them here.

First of all, the way Martins
Berry
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
I fucking deserved this book.

(This is not your regular five stars book, but it was exactly what I needed it to be)
Diana Bautista
Jul 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
"His plans include catching up on his favorite TV shows, finishing his to-be-read pile, and watching YouTube tutorials on skills he'll never actually put into practice."

Tell me something more relatable than that, I dare youu

Ps. that cover? Y E S
Charlotte
I was a fat queer kid and I wish that this book had been around when I was a teen! There is so much in this book that I can relate to but the one thing that stood out was watching the other kids .... in the pool.

Let me back up a bit. "Here The Whole Time" is about Felipe. He's about to begin a holiday from school... where he's bullied and name-called... and his mother surprises him by announcing one morning that their neighbor, Caio is going to be sharing his room for a few weeks.

This wouldn't b
Anniek
I received my Rainbow Crate yesterday, so I finally had my copy of this book I've been so highly anticipating, and I dove in right away. I heard such good things about it, but I was not prepared for how incredibly relatable this book would be. It starts off super awkward and ends up being extremely sweet and wholesome, and I loved the entire experience.

But the main reason for that is the fat masculine representation. This was probably my first time reading about a fat queer boy in YA, and I was
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
Sooooo this brazillian book is actually going to be published in the US by Scholastic in 2020 with the title HERE THE WHOLE TIME (which is legit a taylor swift song reference) and I'm over the moon because this is one of my FAVORITE books of all time, so y'all are going to have to deal with me YELLING at everyone to read it. Okay thank you bye.

oh also this is about a fat gay boy who's had a crush on his cute neighbor since forever and then he finds out that said neighbor is going to have to stay
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This book had me at “Hello”. Wait. Scratch that. Even before that! The inscription was my first clue of this book’s special-ness.

“For anyone who has ever gotten into a pool with their shirt on.”

And then the opening three words hit--“I AM FAT.”

Three little words and my heart knew I had found a friend to loop arms with. Here the Whole Time by Vitor Martins takes on body image, bullying, anxiety, and longtime crushes in such a warm, funny, loving way. All told in one of the sweetest and at the sam
Lance
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
“I like being touched when I feel like being touched. I've always treated my body like a grenade that's about to explode, as if no one one ever wanted to come close to me, and even if they did, it would be best not to touch me. But my body is not a bomb."

"For anyone who has ever gotten into a pool with their shirt on.”

4 stars. Here The Whole Time is the kind of warm, body-positive, and sweet love story that I will never not enjoy reading. As someone who grew up being the heavy gay kid, this
Anna
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It has queer fat rep and that's something we just don't get, especially in YA. Even more wonderful is that it's queer fat boy rep which is almost non-existent. I can name a handful of books off the top of my head that have queer fat rep in them but they are almost always queer girls. While that's amazing and you know how much I love fat queer girls, body diversity needs to happen for all genders.

Here the Whole Time is told from the POV of Felipe, a fat gay teen who is just looking forward to
TJ
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a near perfect novel. I wanted to live inside of it for as long as possible. I related to many of the themes, such as being fat and accepting yourself, falling in love for the first time, etc. This book really sucked me into the love story, and it made me feel like I was falling in love for the first time again. I’d say that’s magical! 5/5 stars and a new favorite.
eli
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i would literally do anything for felipe and caio (and felipe’s mom omg i LOVE this woman)
Shannon
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-ya, 2021
OH THIS WAS SO CUTE AND IMPORTANT AND CUTELY IMPORTANT TO READ I LOVED IT
Sara
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this for so many reasons!!! I shall list them!!!

1. Fat insecure protag learning to love & stick up for himself. But he also notices the ways he will always face people's prejudices no matter how much self love he possesses!!

2. Protag is also gay!!

3. In therapy just for the extra guidance! How fucking refreshing!!! Let's normalize this please!

4. Sweet af romance

5. The characters have these little weekly rituals and celebrations like "musical Wednesdays" and "cake Saturdays" and they made
Jane (whatjanereads)
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely wonderful book! 🥺
First of all I loved the style of writing! It is written from first-person perspective and I know most people are not a fan of that, but it was outright perfect for this book.
Felipe has a lot of body issues, very low self esteem and anxiety. His thoughts and comments in his head were so so relatable and I felt so close to him reading this book. For me it felt 100% like real teenager thought (and also a lot of thoughts I had back then and also sometimes even no
Mariah
I'm a wreck. RTC ...more
Linn
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Be prepared, this is going to be one very loooong review! And the reason for this is, that I love "Here the whole time" so much and I actually don't know where to start because I don't want to miss out on any of the important stuff!

So whenever I start reading a book with a fat main, I'm a bit anxious. One the one hand I'm afraid that there might be a lot of scenes where the fat character gets humiliated, which is, no matter the intention, something I just can't read. On the other hand I'm afraid
Kate (GirlReading)
3.5* I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book but I think most of that comes from how it was marketed.

On the one hand, this is a truly lovely exploration of body image, sexuality, first love and self acceptance. The writing is simple but engaging, relatable, funny and incredibly sweet. The cast of characters are gorgeous, as are the relationships (I especially loved the mother/son relationship, which was just everything!!). The pop culture references were A+, as was the positive therapy r
Anabell
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 that was wholesome, cute and relatable 🥺
JohnnyBoy
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am happy😍❤🌈

• I'll Be Home For Christmas (I Wish You All the Best #1.5)
  • Be Dazzled
  • A Complicated Love Story Set in Space
  • Conectadas
  • The Summer of Everything
  • Darius the Great Deserves Better (Darius the Great, #2)
  • As Far as You'll Take Me
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • How It All Blew Up
  • Cemetery Boys
  • Yesterday Is History
  • The Friend Scheme
  • Adivinha quem não voltou pra casa?
  • Where We Go From Here
  • Princesa adormecida
  • Boyfriend Material
  • A garota do banco de trás
Vitor Martins lives in São Paulo, Brazil, and works as an illustrator and book marketer. He believes that representation in young adult literature is a powerful weapon, and his main goal as a writer is to tell stories of people who have never seen themselves in a book. Follow him online at vitormartins.blog and on Twitter and Instagram at @vitormrtns.

Articles featuring this book

“Acho que eu sempre me mantive tão ocupado tentando não ficar mal, que eu acabei esquecendo de tentar ficar bem.” 4 likes
“I swear to you that one day things will get better. One day you’ll learn to like who you are a little better, and that’ll be reflected in what other people see when they look at you. There will always be assholes, but we learn to fight back. That’s the most important thing—to not put your head down, to fight for the right to marry who you love, for the right to have your body respected regardless of what it looks like or what you’re wearing. To fight for the right to walk down the street without being attacked for the color of your skin.” 1 likes