Start by marking “The Snowman” as Want to Read:
The Snowman

The Snowman

Illustrated in full color, this is a wordless story. The pictures have "the hazy softness of air in snow." A little boy rushes out into the wintry day to build a snowman, which comes alive in his dreams that night. The boy invites him home and in return is taken on a flight high above the countryside.
Published November 12th 1978 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Snowman, please sign up.

Start your review of The Snowman
Annet
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
One winter's night, a snowman comes to life and a magical adventure begins....

A 'feel-good' Christmas story. It has been on my shelves for almost a year, waiting for Xmas time. A bit early, but I decided I could use this 'sidestep' from busy work and studies. Drawings are cute and beautiful. 'Narrated entirely through pictures, its dreamlike illustrations perfectly capture the wonder and innocence of childhood'.
I liked it, took my thoughts away from 'brand management' and 'customer
David Schaafsma
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wordless masterpiece, which I experienced first through the silent film, with this original introduction. If you are the least down today, see this now:

But I have the book right here, too. It's there story of a boy who builds a snowman that comes alive and takes him soaring through the countryside night air. I must have read and seen this first in 1999, when Sammy was born. This is one of the virtues of getting older and rereading favorite picture books,
Mischenko
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this week's wordless picture books please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

The Snowman by Raymond Briggs is a wonderful wordless book for children. The story starts with a young boy who sees the snow outside and rushes out of his home to build a snowman. As the boy sleeps, the snowman comes alive and is welcomed into the boy’s home to discover what it’s like inside. In return, the snowman will show him his home as well. A dream to be remembered forever.

This book is packed full of sketched
Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
Such Stuff as Dreams are Made On

This is not a review. How can one review a book like The Snowman, a story without words? It has to be experienced, that’s all, experienced through the eyes of a child. What follows is my own experience, my appreciation of a story that gave me so much pleasure over so many years.

There are stories and experiences from childhood that we all recall with some fondness. Even if we do not bring them to mind they are in our hearts, a warm glow that never dies. It is
Calista
A wordless beginner book that tells a magical story of a boy and his snowman. My Nephew loves this story and it might be why he still loves snowmen so much. The pair of the boy and snowman share a magical evening together exploring the world and flying through the night. It must have been a really warm day because that snowman melted away really really fast.

It is told in panels like a comic so I think this story was ahead of its time. I can't believe I've never read this before. My Nephew gave
Petra-X
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction
This was a beautiful, gentle story that translated into a magnificent cartoon with music but without words that airs on tv every Christmas in the UK. This book was a real sea change for Briggs whose previous cartoon books include a doleful biography of his parents to their death, nuclear war and creatures that love boogers - much more dark humour than this magical tale of the snowman.
Raha
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Truly beautiful wordless picture book.the story is about a little boy who builds a snowman which comes to live during the night.they spend a night together playing and having fun, then the snowman takes the boy on a magical journey to see the world...
I really enjoyed this book and would strongly recommend it to everyone.
Manybooks
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children who like snowman stories
Yes I know and more than well do realise that Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman is considered by most to be a modern children’s classic (and probably one of the first really universally popular wordless picture books). But while I do in fact find The Snowman somewhat and mildly amusing, both Briggs’ picture sequences and the resulting storyline have also never in any way managed to wow, to truly and lastingly enchant me. For to my eyes, since according to my aesthetics, the illustrations of The ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always really liked this book (so I should have voted 4 stars), but this past winter my 13-year-old son Alma (Down Syndrome, autism) fell in love with it. He reads it daily, and wants me to read it with him sometimes. He loves that we can pull out the video or turn the soundtrack on on Spotify. When I watch him, he adores the pages drawn comic-style, with 16 boxes of sequential art per page. But then the next day he'll be poring over one of the wide spreads with just one drawing! So now I love ...more
Shaina
I could never forget the form or face of this snowman from when I was little. I remember building one so similar when it actually snowed something like several feet and my sister and I were staying with Nana and Papa. Ours was shaped similarly but she was more like a female companion. This was one of the only snowmen then and now that don’t tick me off.

I saw him on someone’s feed and got a warm feeling and said, “Oh, I remember you..”
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
It's difficult to review a book of which there are no words, and instead the story is told through a series of beautiful illustrations. I remember being captured by the magical world of The Snowman, and equally impressed by the tv adaption. For younger children, the tv version is perhaps more suited until they are old enough to appreciate the beauty of the wordless story.
Manny
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
One of the great love stories. David spends a magical night with the Snowman; the next morning, he has melted. He'd think it was a dream, except that he still has the scarf in his pocket.

No words, they'd only complicate things.
Abigail
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Winter Lovers / Raymond Briggs Fans
English artist and picture-book creator Raymond Briggs, whose comic-book tale of a grouchy Father Christmas won the Kate Greenaway Medal in 1973, utilized the same style (sans words) in this story of a boy and his snowman, first published in 1978. Rushing outside one wintry day, the boy slowly builds a snowman beneath his window, but finds that, once it's time to come back inside, he can't take his mind off his creation. Waking up in the middle of the night, he discovers that the snowman has ...more
Shirley Revill
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favourite children's books of all time.
The book has no words but is a story told with pictures.
The artwork is beautiful and really catches a child's attention.
A very special book. Recommended.
Kirk
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I used to read this book to my son, who recently turned 21. I came across a copy recently and was reminded of just how devastatingly beautiful the story is. I'm no artist, but it looks like it was done in colored pencil, which gives the snow and sky a surreal, dreamy texture. The real innovation is the wordlessness. I remember how my son and I used to just look at the pictures without talking, like we intuitively (telepathically maybe?) understood the story. He was a big fan of the video, too, ...more
Matthew
To check out all my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

In the last few days I have been trying to get into the christmas festival mood because so far it doesn't feel like the christmas season. We have had terrorist attacks weeks ago, politicians who seem to approve the destruction of our government, and the nonsense that is surrounding our environment in this day and age. I am on major social media yet at the same time I am barely on it merely just to keep tabs on what is going on in
Tisha
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
So this would be my second time reading a silent book which is full of colorful sequential artworks. There’s no word written other than the pictures. Even though it wasn’t as detailed as Shaun Tan's The Arrival, I've enjoyed it. The story of a little boy and his snowman was truly heartwarming!
Hilary
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
A wonderful story of a boy building a snowman and a magical night time adventure. The book is wonderful and the animation is amazing. We watched this again on Christmas day and was even enjoyed by the two teenagers of the family. It's hard to believe it's the same animation I watched as a child. This is a Christmas classic in our house.
Kathryn
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was very curious to finally read Raymond Brigg's The Snowman as I know it's something of a classic, and the cover looks familiar so it's possible I was read this story as a child, though I did not remember it. I have never seen the film, though I have heard the song "Walking in the Air" (and never knew that's where it came from!)

So, I really enjoyed the story, overall. I love the sense of joy and wonder that glows from the page, first with the boy's creativity in building his snowman and then
Jamie
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute pictures. No words at all. The pictures tell the story of a nighttime adventure of a snowman and a boy. I liked the contradiction pictures of what happens with hot vs cold objects but the story itself is found to be boring quickly, even for the kids I 'read' this with. Play some of the things they do in the picture are things kids should not do without a mature adult and I do not feel a curious, naive, uneducated snowman counts. Still the storybook pictures aren't bad for a quick ...more
Belf
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this very hard to read, because all the way through, I KNEW.

Ronyell
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“The Snowman” is a cute story from the mind of Raymond Briggs and has been the most memorable classic book to ever grace upon the world of children’s books. This book is about how a young boy starts building a snowman and realizes that the snowman is magical and the true friendship he finds in the snowman. “The Snowman” is a true classic that everyone will love for many years!

Raymond Briggs’ story about a boy and his snowman is told through his beautiful illustrations as this is one of the few
Heidi-Marie
This is a kind of child's dreaming that I can enjoy. A snowman coming to life and learning a little about human life. I like his fascination with light. And I loved the humor of anything related to cold (like getting into the deep freezer!).

Being a wordless book (not good for storytimes!!!) and with the illustrations having a bit of a fuzzy crayon look to them, I may have misread some of the pictures. Was the snowman laughing at the boy's picture and the boy was upset? Why does the boy look mad
Lisa
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A boy builds a snowman that comes to life. The story is told completely in pictures so the readers must use their imaginations to follow the adventures.

I love doing artwork with children and I think these pictures would be a perfect springboard to making winter pictures. I love this one especially:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I would ask my child or grandchild, "What can we use to make a snowy day on paper like this? Maybe draw the picture and find a way to fling some snow on the paper?"

Try reading this book with your
Ivy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I only bought this because Tom Fletcher kind of recommended it and I think mentioned in the back of The Christmasaurus that he loved this as a kid. So of course I had to get this. I didn't know it was somewhat like a graphic novel though but loved it nevertheless. The Illustrations are absolutely stunning and the story is one of the cutest Christmas stories I've ever come across. This book will get you right into Christmas mood. Definitely recommend this, especially for children.
Fjóla
A charming wordless story, although somewhat sad. I was a bit concerned over how my son would take to the ending, so we kind of quickly brushed over it and moved on to the next thing. I remember seeing the animated version of the book, and I had pleasant memories from it.
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just love the story and the beautiful illustrations.
Emma
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wordless story book suitable for all ages. The beautifully detailed illustrations in a storyboard style tell the story but allow children to interpret the story with more freedom. Children could write accompanying text to go with a section of it or act out short sections and create an accompanying soundtrack. It could also be used to inspire children to create their own wordless story through the use of storyboards and to study seasons in science. It is suitable for all ages and is a ...more
Donna Gofur
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Suzy Davies
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first sight, this picture-story seems to be a very traditional celebration of Christmas, and of the Winter Season, with the magic that it brings.
However, it is indeed an allegory about loss, and the passing of loved ones.
The story helps children understand that loved ones may not always be with us, but that the joys of our relationships, and the special time spent with those near and dear, live on in memories.
Of course, younger children will understand the story on the former more literal

• The Snowman: Inspired by the original story by Raymond Briggs
  • Old Bear
  • Elmer
  • Busy, Busy Town
  • The Gruffalo
  • Good Dog, Carl (Good Dog, Carl #1)
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
  • Coming Home
  • The Tortoise & the Hare
  • The Space Walk
  • Funnybones
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both