Start by marking “How to Disappear” as Want to Read:
How to Disappear

How to Disappear

You can run, you can hide, but can you disappear for good?

Lauren's daughter Zara witnessed a terrible crime. But speaking up comes with a price, and when Zara's identity is revealed online, it puts a target on her back.

The only choice is to disappear.

From their family, their friends, even from Lauren's husband.

No goodbyes. Just new names, new home, new lives.

One mistake -
Published July 9th 2020 by Penguin

Start your review of How to Disappear
Paromjit
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gillian McAllister's latest psychological thriller is dark, tense and utterly gripping that thrusts the reader into the human experience of the witness protection program and the emotionally devastating impact that it has on a blended family living in London. 14 year old Zara is to have her and her family's life derailed when she witnesses the murder of a homeless man, Jamie, by two Holloway FC youth footballers. A year later, she is the key witness in their trial, she is Girl A, giving her evid ...more
Ceecee
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phew, let me catch my breath! Gillian McAllister is one of my favourite authors but I think even by her high standards she’s excelled herself with this one! What a rollercoaster, breathtaking, phenomenal read. I don’t want to say too much about the plot but the story starts when Zara witnesses a fight in which a homeless man dies. Two young men, about to sign up for the full squad of Premier League Holloway FC are charged with murder. It goes to court but the case falls apart as Zara gives evide ...more
Javier
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
No good deed goes unpunished, and that's never been truer than in Gillian McAllister latest book "How to disappear". This was a tense and gripping read and if I didn't read it more quickly was because it gave me major anxiety as I had an uneasy sick feeling all throughout and had to stop reading sometimes.

This is mainly a story about love, family and the sacrifices you're prepared to make for your child. It also gives a glimpse into the witness protection program and the impact it has not only o
Gillian McAllister
Feb 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Coming soon... you can't run, and you can't hide. How To Disappear, out July 9th, 2020.
Louise Wilson
When London teenager Zara witnesses a crime she has to give evidence for in court, she is only known as "Girl A". But now there are people who are determined to find her. Zara and her mum, Lauren must change their identities and start afresh somewhere new. Lauren's husband Aiden had to make the difficult choice to stay behind and support his daughter Poppy who cares for her mother who has MS. But he longs to see his wife and step-daughter.

This is another one of these books that the less you know
Gary
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The new stand alone psychological thriller from author Gillian McAllister.

One things for sure when you read a Gillian McAllister novel, you are on to a winner. This is another excellent psychological thriller following on from the success of ‘The Evidence against you’ and I really couldn’t put this book down reading it in virtually one sitting.

Excellent characters, addictive plot that was so well paced and keeps you in constant suspense.

Lauren’s daughter Zara witnesses a terrible crime and after
Michelle
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph for How to disappear by Gillian McAllister. I have read several of her books and I think this is her best one yet.
Teenager Zara lives with her mother Lauren and her stepfather Aiden. Aiden has a daughter Poppy from a previous marriage and who is a carer for her invalid mother. Zara witnesses the murder of Jamie a homeless man that she knows, where two young boys from the local football team is accused of his murder. But when she stands on the witnes
Tracy Fenton
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG – my heart is still pounding, my sphincter is still clenching and my breath is still ragged and I can’t express how much I loved this book, but as I am a blogger and you are here to read my reviews I will try….

This is Gillian’s latest standalone books and like her previous books How to Disappear has a clever and unique legal theme with a major moral dilemma. In How To Disappear the author creates the most unimaginative situation that you can’t help but imagine.. does that even make sense? (I
Maureen
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I’m definitely on a roll recently, with terrific books from some of my favourite authors - Gillian McAllister being one of them.

When 15 year old Zara witnesses the murder of a young homeless man Jamie, by two up and coming footballers about to sign with a Premier League club, she believes that the evidence she gives at their trial will put them behind bars for a very long time, but everything turns on its head during the trial, leading to threats on Zara’s life, so she and her mother Laure
Gary
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new stand alone psychological thriller from author Gillian McAllister.

One things for sure when you read a Gillian McAllister novel, you are on to a winner. This is another excellent psychological thriller following on from the success of 'The Evidence against you' and I really couldn't put this book down reading it in virtually one sitting.

Lauren’s daughter Zara witnesses a terrible crime and aft
Lou
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Disappear is bestselling author Gillian McAllister’s latest standalone psychological thriller and is a witness protection thriller. It is part thriller and part account of adjusting to a completely new and foreign way of life as part of the witness protection program. It highlights the fact that one seemingly inconsequential decision or good deed can have severe consequences and impact a wide range of people.

On her way home from school 14-year-old Zara witnesses an event that will inevita
Liz Barnsley
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How To Disappear is another rip roaring tale from the pen of Gillian McAlister, an edge of the seat yet deeply emotional thriller that I read in one sitting.

I've always loved this authors blend of legal and psychological drama - the characters are always full of depth and highly relatable and the storytelling razor sharp with a huge quality of writing.

This was no different as a family unit falls apart when two of their number have to go into hiding after witnessing a murder. From there on in thi
Margaret
I’ve read three books by Gillian McAllister and enjoyed each one so I was delighted when I saw that she has a new book, How To Disappear published today. But, I have mixed feelings about this book, because although it is so tense in parts and is compulsive reading – I really wanted to know what happens next – I did have difficulty in suspending my disbelief for a large part of it. I liked the originality of the story – a murder mystery that is not a police procedural or an amateur detective stor ...more
Kirsty
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Olivia Thomas for sending me a copy for review.

Well, where do I begin. What a roller-coaster that was. I initially strugged to settle down into the book but by page 80 I was engrossed and the pages turned themselves. As with all of Gillian's other novels I failed to find something to complain about. There was nothing I didn't like about it.

So without giving to much away let me introduce you to the main plot of the story. How to disappear is a story about a girl named Zara who witness
The Book Club
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I Loved this book and I couldn’t put it down!

Zara after witnessing a murder decides to testify in court, but the trial didn’t really go the way she imagined and with her life being threatened she has to go into the witness protection program. Will she be able to disappear?

I loved that the book was constantly bouncing between four different story tellers: Poppy, Zara, Lauren and Aiden. In this way you could really get drowned into the story and see how the four characters where dealing wit
Danielle Dent
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. I am lost for words after finishing this book. I feel like I’ve been through the emotional wringer. This is by far Gillian’s best book and I’m not even going to say a single word about the plot or the twists so I don’t spoil it for anyone but all I can say is there is no better way to spend lockdown than to read this book. You will not regret it. Thanks to the author, Penguin and Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kay Cugini
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very very well written thriller, flawed characters who are very relatable, really enjoyed this and great ending
Mellisa
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling, interesting read!

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. I was hooked straight away. I felt so many emotions. Lauren's character is exactly what was needed for this book to have such a huge impact on the reader. Through the book there was a mix of sympathy and dislike for Zara. Aidan was another main character who was so essential for the book. The twists I never saw coming. Not one part of the book was disappointing.
Vikki Patis
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading her debut, Gillian McAllister quickly became one of my must-read authors. But how to describe this book? I could use so many words, but none would do it justice. Her characters are so rich and realistic, her prose flawless, and the pace is perfect. I simultaneously wanted to race to the end, and to pause and savour the story.

Put simply, this book is heartbreaking, gripping, and utterly brilliant.
Debbie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sensational!

I read this book in two sittings over the weekend and I haven't read anything else since, it was just that good. I LOVED it! This will be in my top reads this year.

Lauren's daughter, Zara, witnessed a terrible crime and now people are out to get her. The family's only option is to disappear. No talking to friends or family, just living their new lives. One wrong move or revelation about their old identity could cost them their lives. As the synopsis indicates, this even means leaving
Tea Leaves and Reads
Just when you think that Gillian McAllister cannot possibly get any better....she does. An author that will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish, Gillian is a truly excellent writer. She combines family life, drama, mystery, police procedural and so much more into one book that makes her almost unique in her ‘genre’ style and the creator of something completely different.

This book. This book this book this book. THIS BOOK. I honestly, will never do this book justice in my revi
Suzisue13
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A solid 5* was literally on the edge of my seat and feel like I have lived this story!
Jodie (whatjodiereads)
I really struggled to keep going with this book. I found it a bit slow going at times and a bit far-fetched. Some parts just seemed quite extreme and unrealistic. I don’t think I really got hooked with this book. Although I did start to enjoy it more towards the end, I still wasn’t hooked. I didn’t love the characters, and thought that Zara was very unlikeable. I found myself feeling irritated by her and a lot of the things she did really annoyed me. The last 50 pages of this book is what made t ...more
Adele Shea
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Gillian McAllisters books. How to Disappear didn’t grip me like all the others but what a fantastic ending that was. 3.5*
Rebecca Katie McCann
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
It appears I am an anomaly when it comes to my thoughts on this book. I unfortunately just didn’t seem to love it as much as everyone else did.

Lauren's daughter Zara witnesses the murder of a homeless man, and after an unsuccessful court trial, Zara's identity is revealed online, putting a target on her back. A group is formed and target Zara. After an attempted abduction and further threats, their only choice is to disappear. Leaving behind her husband and step daughter Poppy, Lauren and Zara e
Jacob Collins
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book! I still can’t believe that ending. Gillian McAllister has become one of my go-to authors; I don’t even have to read the blurb before I click that pre-order button. How To Disappear is her best book to date. This book will take you on a whirlwind of emotions, and I don’t think I’ll be forgetting about it any time soon. I think this is one of those books where you will want to talk to someone else who has read it straight away; it’ll make the perfect book club read.

Zara is fourteen
Honestmamreader
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Zara is just an average teenager. She goes to school, she lives at home with her mother, Lauren and stepfather, Aidan. But her life changes dramatically when she was a witness to a heinous crime. She testified in court to get justice, something that took a lot of strength for someone so young to do. But, when a twist in the court case proceedings occurs. This is when Zara's life is put in danger. The only option for her and her family is to go into witness protection and disappear from the life ...more
Tasha
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
How to Disappear is a psychological thriller centred around a mother and daughter going into witness protection. I don't think I've ever read a book that talks about witness protection very much and although McAllister admits some of it is basically made up due to research being quite hard(understandably), I actually found it to come across as quite believable and realistic.

So, Zara, or Girl A as she becomes known, gives evidence in a trial and is meant to be a protected witness, unfortunately
Lisa
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, tense & twisty!

An emotional rollercoaster, you don't want to miss! I was totally emersed in this unique storyline how would you cope in witness protection? What happens if you have to leave your husband to protect your daughter? Could you really leave it all behind?

I really loved how this book was written. The characters are so relatable, down to earth, and believable. You really feel for them, fear for them. It's funny, frustrating and nothing will prepare you for the jaw-dropping exp
Mandy
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren’s daughter Zoe witnesses a murder, and as a result the family have to be taken into witness protection. There are very strict rules to this and the family are warned not to break them as there could be serious repercussions and a danger to their safety. But is it as easy as that to leave your life behind you?

I really enjoyed this book, I loved the writing style and short chapters, and the fact that the chapters were telling us what different characters were up to.

My review is spoiler fre

• Just Like the Other Girls
  • The Hit List
  • Truth Be Told
  • Keep Her Quiet
  • The Stolen Sisters
  • Invisible Girl
  • The Catch
  • The Other Passenger
  • Never Look Back (Criminal Profiler, #3)
  • I Made a Mistake
  • Where the Innocent Die (DI Ridpath #4)
  • The House on the Lake