Start by marking “Ashes of Onyx” as Want to Read:
Ashes of Onyx

Ashes of Onyx

They stole her magic.

They killed her friends.

Nothing in the multiverse will stop her quest for revenge.

Kate Rossdale once held all the promise of becoming Baltimore’s greatest sorceress. But promise is a hard thing to hold when your coven is murdered, your magic is stripped away, and the only solace left to you comes one powdered line at a time.

When she’s offered the
Published January 28th 2020 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Ashes of Onyx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes of Onyx

Start your review of Ashes of Onyx
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/02/09/...

Seth Skorkowsky is back tackling a little something different from his Valducan series, of which I am a big fan. Ashes of Onyx has a bit of a lighter feel, a tone that is more distinctly urban fantasy and is less heavy on the horror elements, but make no mistake, it still has all the hallmarks of adventure, excitement, and grit that makes the author’s work so enjoyable.

At the center of this novel is a young woman who has
Jesse
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like fantasy and pulp adventure stories, you should be cracking this book open immediately. There’s something inside no matter what flavor of pulp you lean toward.

Although the overall narrative arc might be loosely described as urban fantasy or portal fantasy, there is a lot on offer through each section of the story. Like gritty noir detective stories? The opening 3 or 4 chapters are directly in that vein. Like world-traveling spy adventure? The following portion of story strongly
Lukasz
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge fan of Skorkowsky’s Valducan series, I was excited to check his newest book. Ashes of Onyx begins as Urban Fantasy but it contains elements of High, Portal, and Epic Fantasy, mixed with more than a bit of Horror.

Kate Rossdale is a sorceress, and she comes with a lot of baggage. She blames herself for the accident that killed her friends and made her lose her magic. When we meet her, she’s a junkie. She justifies her behavior in a way that makes sense (the need to feel magic again),
Clay Sanger
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three stories walk into a bar. A leggy, sexy urban fantasy - this one is all flash and flare, a sorceress in a blood-red vinyl trench coat. She takes a tequila shot off some speechless boy's table and downs it as she walks past with a flicker of a smile. Then comes a dashing, adventurous portal fantasy - this dude has traveled WORLDS, and the exotic weather-beaten hat and those three gold rings etched in alien glyphs he's wearing on his right hand shows it. Last comes a dark, sultry Lovecraftian ...more
Kevin Brown
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
We start the story with our hero trying to numb the pain of loss in a seedy bar. Only it turns out that not everything is her fault and the person that stole her magic, killed her friends and laid all the blame on her is still alive. From there the story follows our hero reclaiming her magic and unraveling the killer's motive and ultimate plans. In a smart bit of writing the author uses every problem and obstacle into an opportunity to do some world building. It all flows naturally letting the ...more
Morgan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly fun book. References to Lovecraftian lore, metaphysics, and I’m pretty sure a couple of calls to “The Devil Rides Out”.
Jorge Soto
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I knew how to write good reviews. The kind that tell you how great a book is without giving away the plot, but gets you excited to read it. I cannot do justice to how good this book is.

Ashes of Onyx has everything I love in a good story. Kate, the strong female lead is just trying to get by. She's living her life as a junkie, chasing the next hit, after a horrendous tragedy stripped her of her magic, friends, and mentors.

My favorite thing about Seth Skorkowsky's stories is how he can
Mikael Cerbing
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An entertaining, easy and quick to read urban-fantasy book. Or portal-fantasy as it sopposed to be, didnt know about that sub genre before. Fantasy has to watch out, otherwise it will soon have more sub genres then hevay metal...
In any case, there was a lot to like in Skorkowskys latest offering and a few things I didnt like as much. I liked the genereal premise, even if portal-fantasy probably wont be one of my go to genres, of the magicans in our world, the other worlds but mostly about the
Cindy
rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2020
Sam
Cindy
Colt4u
Seth Skorkowsky
Nov 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Lndavidson
Clipinchick
Shannon Stults

• Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • Sin & Salvation (Demigods of San Francisco, #3)
  • Sin & Magic (Demigod of San Francisco #2)
  • Sin & Chocolate (Demigod of San Francisco, #1)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • Unbound: A Masks Supplement
  • Secrets of A.E.G.I.S.: A Masks Supplement
  • The Tenant
  • The Hollows (Kinship #2)
  • Halcyon City Herald Collection: A Masks Supplement
  • Masks: A New Generation
  • Stalwart (Kris Longknife, #19)
Raised in the swamps and pine forests of East Texas, Seth Skorkowsky always gravitated to the darker sides of fantasy, preferring horror and pulp heroes over knights in shining armor.

His debut novel, Dämoren, was published in 2014. He has now released four urban fantasy novels and two sword-and-sorcery short story collections. Seth's next novel, Ashes of Onyx, will release in 2020.

When not