Jump to ratings and reviews

Just Bunny and the Great Fire Rescue

Just Bunny is Francesca's right-hand stuffy who has been with her through thick and thin since day one.

Nothing can tear these two apart—except, maybe, a fire! Thankfully, one of New York’s Bravest is on the scene to prove that selfless acts of kindness happen every day.

38 pages, Hardcover

1 book1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books).
1,394 reviews103 followers
January 11, 2020
What I Loved:
Just Bunny and the Great Fire Rescue is a true story of the loss and rescue of Just Bunny. Jeanne LaSala Taylor wrote this as a thank you to the New York Fire Department, and firefighters everywhere. It’s a beautiful way to share their story and gratitude.

How I Felt:
The Story was written in a way that allowed a young reader to understand the problem and resolution. The fire was not scary for my child as the family is evacuated quickly and I appreciated that. She was worried about Just Bunny and so happy that he was rescued in the end.

The Illustration was really great. It had a hand-drawn feel to it and was just beautiful! There’s a version of Just Bunny hiding on each page in the book for the reader to find. My daughter had SO much fun with this!

Overall, this was a wonderful story that we enjoyed greatly. The daughter and Just Bunny are easy for a young child to connect with. The entire story and the interaction of the hidden Just Bunny on each page made the book perfect!

To Read or Not To Read:
This is a great book for a preschool to middle elementary school. It is a great “thank you” to firemen and women everywhere.

What's This Book About Anyway?
Francesca’s favorite stuffed animal friend is Just Bunny. Just Bunny goes everywhere and does everything with Francesca. When Francesca and her family are out to eat one day, a kitchen fire starts in the restaurant and they must evacuate. Once outside, they realize Just Bunny has been left behind!

Francesca’s mom finds a NYFD fireman and asks him for help. He goes into the building and saves Just Bunny, returning him to Francesca.

I was provided a free advanced reader’s copy of this book by the publisher, Mascot Books. I am leaving this honest, unbiased review voluntarily.

My review of this book will post to my blog on 1/15/20. All of my reviews can be found at: https://shejustlovesbooks.com/
February 1, 2020
Just Bunny and the Great Fire Rescue is a story about a little girl named Francesca and her stuffed toy called, "Just Bunny". They've always been together till the day when the fire fell them apart. Fortunately, there are still people for whom the beloved child's toy is an important part of the family- Captain Matteo, the firefighter who saved Just Bunny.
It might sound simple but the book is based on true stories. Not only was the author a fire victim but also her daughter's stuffed bunny was rescued from the burning building.
Who else can write better about the fire-related experiences, if not a survivor?
___
There are many reasons why the book is worth being read. First of all, it honors firefighters, gives us a lesson about trust, respect, kindness and shows what a good firefighter does. Secondly, the book is interactive, it engages children to find another stuffed bunny called DJ Big Apple on each page and that is really Theo's favorite part! Thirdly, it is written in a poem and that's what kids and parents love the most! Last but not least, illustrations by Ana Sebastian show everyday life, true proportions and they are just so real which is a great addition to the story.
Profile Image for Angie Quantrell.
1,297 reviews6 followers
February 16, 2020
This is such an enjoyable story! Just Bunny accidentally gets left behind when Francesca has to leave a restaurant due to a kitchen fire. One the tragedy is discovered, she and her mother and sister return to the restaurant where a brave firefighter helps recover Just Bunny. I love the lovey and how true this type of attachment is for young children. Told in rhyme, Just Bunny is a fun story about brave firefighters in New York City. I love that a part of the proceeds will go to a fire burn foundation. Fun read, great illustrations.
Profile Image for Baby Bookworm.
1,641 reviews91 followers
June 14, 2021

Hello, friends! Our book today is Just Bunny and the Great Fire Rescue, written by Jeanne LaSala Taylor and illustrated by Ana Sebastian, a sweet tale of a girl and her very special bunny.

New Yorker Francesca’s best friend in the world is her stuffed gray rabbit named Just Bunny. After a day of play at the park with her mom and little sister (and Just Bunny, naturally), Francesca and her family stop at a restaurant for dinner. But shortly after their chips arrive, the waiter appears to usher everyone out of the restaurant – there’s a fire in the kitchen! Safely out on the street, the family moves to another restaurant, but Francesca quickly realizes that someone was left behind: Just Bunny! Rushing back to the scene of the fire, Francesca and her mother implore a kindly firefighter to look inside for the plushie, explaining that he’s not simply a toy, but Francesca’s best friend. The firefighter understands, and braves his way inside to search… but is it too late?

Very sweet. While the rhyming text often loses meter and can be a little clunky when read aloud, the slice-of-life plot if simple and relatable, especially for any family who is familiar with the importance of a little one’s special toy. Indeed, the moment in which the firefighter asks if Francesca needs Just Bunny to sleep absolutely rung true to me, and was a heartwarming and realistic moment of a one parent understanding another family’s needs based on personal experience. The way this also celebrated the work and compassion of firefighters was a wonderful and unexpected theme. The art is colorful and lively, and the length is fine. One complaint, however, is the inclusion of a tertiary character named DJ Big Apple, a bunny identical to Just Bunny with the exception of sunglasses and a watch who, after an introductory page, appears in the background of each two-page spread, up until one scene where he… IS Just Bunny? Even though they both appeared in previous scenes? It’s unclear and feels like an unnecessary addition to an otherwise well-rounded story. Still, JJ enjoyed the tale of Just Bunny, and we can recommend this one. Baby Bookworm approved!

(Note: A copy of this book was provided to The Baby Bookworm by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.)

Be sure to check out The Baby Bookworm for more reviews!
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.