Start by marking “A Simple Lie” as Want to Read:
A Simple Lie

A Simple Lie

"more twists and turns than a high-speed roller coaster."

What harm can one small lie do?

Forced to give up her career as a dentist, and still unemployed a year later, Valentina Knight has finally run out of options. With foreclosure looming she acts in desperation, lying to get a position as an assistant to the county medical examiner. Val’s relieved. She won’t be

Kindle Edition
Published November 27th 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Lie

Start your review of A Simple Lie
Sue
A SIMPLE LIE is a psychological thriller by author Mary Bush.

Just one little lie. What harm could that do?

Valentina Knight is forced to give up her career as a dentist, due to an injury. Still unemployed a year later, she now has finally run out of options, with her debts rising and foreclosure looming she lies to get a position as an assistant to the county medical examiner. But this lie could soon trap her in a treacherous game with a killer.

Val is hired and now works in the County Medical
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One simple lie leads Val down a tricky road of covering her back to ensure that no one discovers the truth about how she really came into her new job as a medical examiner. However, with a gruesome case that is intensifying, Val has to ensure she can secure her new job without outsiders guessing her past.

This is a pretty gruesome novel with regards to the murders being committed. If teeth being ripped out of victims is not for you, you probably will find this read quite squirmish! Val witnesses
Linda Strong
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Valentina Knight is a doctor without a profession. Due to an injury she received from a patient, she is unable to continue as a dental surgeon. Bills are mounting up and she's just A hair breadth away from losing her home.

She tells a small lie to gain the position of assistant to the country medical examiner. Her medical training will hold her in good stead.

She rapidly becomes embroiled in the deaths of three women. One disappeared from her home and was discovered six months later. It seems
Lynn
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story to really get your teeth into!

Dr Valentina Knight was a successful doctor in dentistry, until an injury to her hand ruined her career.

Now unable to perform some the more intricate dental surgeries she is unable to practice, and has gone from earning almost six figures to nothing; with debts mounting, Valentina is at risk of losing everything including her home.

Searching on the Internet she sees an opening asking for an assistant death scene investigator at the County Medical Examiners
Ruth Matheson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive" The opening lines of Sir Walter Scott's 'Marmion' encapsulate this story. We find Valentina Knight unemployed after being jobless for a year through no fault of her own, desperately seeking a job so when one appears that she's not really qualified for, then telling a little white fib on your CV isn't that bad...or is it? She quickly becomes caught up in 3 women's deaths which have the hall mark of a serial killer and one who ...more
Ruth Parker
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just one lie. How much harm can one little white lie do?

This book is based around one simple little lie which opens doors for Valentina Knight in a brand new career after an accident prevents her from continuing to be a dentist.

The lie she tells allows her to step into a new career but what else is she stepping into?

This book was really good. I enjoyed it a lot. Amazing twists and turns. I guessed the ending by about half way through but I still felt satisfied with the conclusion. Worth a read
Amanda
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A Simple Lie' is the debut novel of Mary Bush and blinking nora what a debut novel it is too. I read the synopsis for 'A Simple Lie' and it certainly sounded like the sort of read I love at the moment - a psychological, serial killer thriller with a twist. Oh my word, 'A Simple Lie' was one hell of a fantastic read but more about that in a bit.
I had mixed feelings about Valentina Knight. Don't get me wrong, I really did feel for her as she suffered an injury which meant that she had to give up
Danny Matheson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a serial killer on the loose as women are getting killed off in a gruesome manner. All that is left at the crime scenes are the women's teeth. The crime scenes are cleaned up after the murders but the blood stains are still identifiable by the police. The style is the same in all murders and have left the police department, private investigators and the medical examiners office all baffled. Its it left to a former dentist to solve them?

The book is fast paced and has more twists and
Shelby Findley
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent murder mystery. I honestly didn’t expect who it turned out to be at all. I gave 4 stars because I was kind of confused about additional character details being given with no follow up. It was stated that Val was attracted to Gavin (and vice versa) and then just drops that he has a wife. And then Val states her attraction to Jack. I’m just wondering why these details were ever included? Just to make it more than just a murder mystery but making them have realistic ...more
Nan Borton-smith
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ENGAGING & BRILLIANT

Fans of psych-suspense, crime, and forensics will LOVE This novel.
This debut novel is one of the most engaging novels I’ve read this year. Mary Bush knocks it out of the (Orchard) Park. The book was set in area I am very familiar with and I know it enhanced how much I liked the book but it wouldn’t matter where it was set. The plots twists and turns will leave you breathless, the characters are absolutely brilliant and the end will have you picking your jaw off the
Sharon Munson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kept me intrigued!

I tried to make several attempts to draw a conclusion to “ who done it” but failed. I almost didn’t download this story because there were so few reviews, but the one review that cinched it was the comment about cuss words. Silly as it sounds, I appreciate a little profanity, it is truer to life. By the way, there is very little bad language and who doesn’t say” Jesus or oh God” now and then .. Don’t let that throw you off a good read!
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
A crime thriller to make your toes curl! Valentina is an unemployed dentist and decides that one simple lie is nothing in the grand scheme of things. She gains the position of County Medical Examiner, but to her horror a number of murders start, with just the teeth left...being a dentist (off course), she feels confident enough to investigate deeper...until she is in so deep it's terrifying!
A great story, plenty of details and past paced too! Loved it
Karen
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good except for one thing that did detract from the story for me. This is the reason for 4 and not 5 stars. I’m probably the only one that feels this way but I hate when authors think they have to use all the cursing and the Lord’s name to make a good story. I love psychological thrillers and wish the authors knew that all the cursing in a story does not make it a better story. Other than this, I really enjoyed the book. A lot going on. A lot of twists.
Diane Warburton
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I found this book a little complex and long winded in a couple of parts it was still a riverting read and the plot and story line held together really well and had quite a few twists. Some really interesting characters.... I was suspicious of everyone! Believe me, trust no-one in this book. Some very tense moments throughout, especially towards the end which was extremely satisfying. Thank you to Bloodhound Books for giving me the ARC in return for an honest review.
Bobbi Wagner
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by this author, I enjoyed it. I was pulled into the story with ease and kept engaged until the last page. This book is full of action and suspense. The characters are connectable and made the story feel realistic. The twists and turns had me turning pages fast and I couldn't put it down. What happens when a lie turns into danger? I highly recommend reading this book. I don't regret picking up this book and neither will you.
Angela
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't Read Fast Enough!

If you like a good murder mystery, this book is for you! And I do hope to hear more from Val and the gang. And the background workplace of the morgue is intriguing. Loved, loved, loved this book!
Helen McDonald
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great book filled with intrigue and lies and murder and crazy deaths! Characters are well developed all with problems. I looked immediately to see if she had other books. Highly recommend. Surprise ending.
judy
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
!!!Fantastic!!!

I was looking something different that would keep me interested and by George I definitely found it!! This was fabulously written. The twists and turns that hooked you from the first paragraph. I highly recommend this book!! VERY UNPUTDOWNABLE!!!
Josh Weaver
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read!

One of the greatest psychological thriller I’ve ever read! I would highly recommend this book, especially if you love crime, mystery, and a story the truly comes together wonderfully.
Chris
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I admire someone finishing and publishing their first book, unfortunately in this case I don't think anyone should spend their time reading A Simple Lie. Even for the low bar that A Simple Lie sets to clear (soapy, schlocky, Lifetime-esque murder mystery), it manages to fall well short.
Barbara Williams
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Had it's moments

There were moments of intense interest followed by times of skim worthy dialogue. Contained more twists and turns than even a top rated rollercoaster has. Crazy line of reasoning to follow but not heart stopping.
J.K. Radalyac
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty good

I stepped out on my normal authors and found this one. I wasn't disappointed in the least. A new career based off a lie while murders are going on. Give it a try if you like psych thrillers.
Sherrie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was amazed to find out this was Mary Bush's first novel. This has to be one of the very best debut novels EVER! It was captivating and the characters had substance i could sink my teeth into. Very original story line. In one word . . .Impressive.
Deborah Mack
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Still waiting for the "heart stopping" drama to happen. Very different to finish.
Linda
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this book. It was well written, believable and easy to follow. I would enjoy reading more books by the author.
Charis
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this, it flowed well, was fast paced and am looking forward to more by this author
John F Carozza
Couldn't put it down completely surprised by the ending can't wait until the next Dr. Knight book comes out. Finally a novel involving a dentist.
Dr. John Carozza Buffalo class 1972
April A. Woods
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Was a good book until the ending, which turned out to be a total confusing cluster. Totally lost my attention.
Susan Murphree
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Susan

This grabs your interest from the start and you will not be able to stop reading -this is a book you will be glad you got.
Nicola
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this storyline and didn’t actually see the twist in the book until i read about it lol. Never was form this author either before but I will be reading more from Mary.

• It Was Always You
  • What She Forgot
  • Devotion
  • The Perfect Son
  • You Are Mine
  • Dark Deception
  • The Woman Who Destroyed Christmas
  • The Midnight Wife
  • Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • Dying To Tell