Start by marking “Then She Vanished” as Want to Read:
Then She Vanished

Then She Vanished

(Roland Ford #4)

What if the client who's hired you can't be trusted...and the woman you're looking for doesn't want to be found? With Then She Vanished, three-time Edgar Award winner and New York Times bestselling-author T. Jefferson Parker delivers a new and pulse-pounding thriller.

Published August 11th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Then She Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Then She Vanished

Start your review of Then She Vanished
Dave
Parker’s San Diego PI Roland Ford, Iraqi War veteran and ex Sheriff’s Deputy is tasked with finding a missing political spouse. Ford, however, finds himself in the middle of marijuana wars in the hills and the return of Patty Hearst and the bombing of government buildings. And the solution to the missing spouse may not be what it first appears.
3 no 7
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roland Ford walks alone as the world implodes around him.

“Then She Vanished” unfolds as a first person narrative by Roland Ford, a private investigator who finds things other people cannot. He lives in Fallbrook, California, the avocado capital of the world. Parker creates a frantic story of anger and violence in an age of chaos, complete with a hotly contested political election, bomb threats, a missing woman, and the pitfalls and complications of a legal cannabis operation. All this would mak
DP Lyle
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roland Ford rocks. A great series character who continues to evolve. This, the 4th in the series, lives up to and surpasses the previous ones. Great story, well written. Can't wait for the next in the series.

DP Lyle, award-winning author, lecturer, story consultant
Brett T
Unlike many modern detective and crime fiction writers, T. Jefferson Parker hasn't chosen to stick with a single series for his entire career -- a decision probably lamented by his publisher's marketing department. When he finished his six-book run with LA County Sheriff's Deputy Charlie Hood in 2013's The Famous and the Dead, he switched to a new sleuth -- private investigator Roland Ford, an Iraq War veteran and former cop himself working in the San Diego area. Ford debuted in 2017's The Room ...more
Larry Fontenot
T. Jeff writes good books and I love his characters, in this case the PI Roland Ford. T. Jeff has good dialogue, interesting plots and plenty of action. But after a while, these T. Jeff books begin to resemble each other. Now I know that this similarity is what draws some people to books like these. We like a good guy who we understand, who perhaps shares some of our passions and anxieties, and whose history we are familiar with. But lately I've been reading several books, each from a well-regar ...more
Darcy
Alisa
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review to come
Harry
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the Roland Ford series. As always Parker populates the story with fascinating characters and a compelling plot.
Sheldon
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parker’s protagonist, Roland Ford, is worth your time. This is a tough guy like a Spenser, but with an even quirkier crew surrounding him. If you haven’t discovered the series, it is time.
John McKenna
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel begins when Ford is hired by state representative Dalton Strait—who’s in the midst of a tight reelection campaign—to find his wife Natalie, who has disappeared without a trace. She suffers from bipolar disorder . . . and she’s done it before . . . eventually turning up in Las Vegas, 100 grand in the hole. It ought to be a simple and straightforward missing persons case, but it isn’t, because the more we learn about Dalton Strait, the more complex and deadly Ford’s job becomes.

Like a lo
Ray
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Then She Vanished" is T. Jefferson Parker's 4th book in a series featuring Private Investigator Roland Ford. In this book, Ford is hired to find the missing wife of Dalton Strait, a California politician representing the eastern portion of San Diego.

If sometimes wondered how authors come up with ideas for their characters. In this case, the answer is easy. The California Assemblyman is clearly based on former California Congressman Duncan Hunter who was forced out of office in 2020. Both polit
Steve
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalton Strait is a member of the California Assembly representing a district in the San Diego area. Roland Ford is a private investigator, who is approached by fellow Marine Strait to help find his wife, Natalie, who has gone missing. Natalie has some psychological issues, so the question is: did she just walk out or was she abducted. At the same time, a series of bombings occur in Strait’s district, escalating from property damage to deaths of public officials. Responsibility for the bombings i ...more
Joyce
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
352 pages

3 stars

Private Investigator Roland Ford is asked by a former Marine acquaintance named Dalton Strait to look for his missing wife Natalie. She apparently has gone missing for a few days before, but showed up eventually. This time, she has been gone for two days and her politician husband is worried about her.

While Ford is looking for Natalie, there are a series of bombings going on in the city. The Chaos Committee is claiming responsibility. Ford soon learns that the bombings may very
Kathleen Gray
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit up front to being a fan of Roland Ford, a Marine turned private investigator who specializes in finding people. He's got a lot of determination and a good heart. Now, an acquaintance who is a state legislator- Dalton Strait- has asked him to find his wife Natalie. Natalie has mental health issues and she's often disappeared but this time, Strait's really worried. He's also dealing with bombings in his district and the Chaos Committee, a group advocating change but doing so by claiming re ...more
Richard Thompson
From the Goodreads Blurb: Private Investigator Roland Ford has taken a job for a fellow Marine and a rising politician, Dalton Strait. Strait is contending with unexplained bombings of government buildings in his district...but that is not why he hired Ford. Strait's wife, Natalie, has gone missing, leaving behind a cryptic plea for help. Strait has made many enemies during his time in politics--including some of his own family members--all of whom could be looking for revenge. But as Ford digs ...more
Kavita
This is the first time that I have picked up a mystery written by this author as a review copy from Edelweiss plus.

The story is about a political representative of a district in San Diego area. he hires Holland Ford who is a War veteran and currently working as PI to look for his missing wife. This case takes Roland into the midst of the drug wars in the are and amidst a gang that is involved in bombngs in the city and with so many things crossings his path Roland ford has to look for Natalie S
Kathy
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book up until around p. 298. Good, twisty plot, allusions to concerns of the modern world, murder, mystery and budding romance. However, I am not a fan of vigilante justice. It perpetuates the myth that the world will be a better place if "us good guys" would just man up and kill the bad guys. It proclaims the same attitude that the Chaos Committee was declaring: government (including the police) is too big, slow, dumb to protect the interests of its citizens. It reinforces the be ...more
Stacy Bearse
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This new entry in Parker's Roland Ford series devolves into a complicated mess until loose ends are so neatly tied up in the final chapters. Ford, a private investigator working in the San Diego area, accepts a missing person case. In a nutshell, the story is about a missing woman who doesn't want to be found; her husband (Ford's client), a state politico who cannot tell the truth; a group of terrorists devoted to anarchy; and revenge served ice cold. An entertaining - if confusing - read.
Dan Downing
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides a fine thriller, a couple of love stories and an extension of a superior series, Mr. Parker has handed us a meditation on public violence and fear. While there are a few questionable legal maneuvers the fact is, after considering our enhanced understanding of legal miscarries of justice in civil shooting cases, the shenanigans of the court system, DAs, FBI and so forth can be forgiven or recognized as business as usual.
Recommended.
Willa
Nov 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
T. Jefferson Parker phoned this one in. Any other author I'd give this book 2.5 stars, but because Parker is such a good writer, I've got to dock the stars, he's capable of writing a much better book.

I could feel the writer searching desperately for a plot. What we get is so implausible even the writer couldn't fake it, especially in the action scenes. Little specificity or description.

I will still read his next book, he's usually a good writer. One more chance, Mr. Parker.
Ryan Mishap
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
If you want to know what an expertly wrought detective series should be, look no further lovers of sleuthing stories.

Engaging, topical plots--check
Companionable, complicated hero protagonist--check
Well-written in dialogue, plot, and characters--check
Unafraid to deal with the political and social complexities in our society so as not to simply reinforce dominant narratives--check

Go forth and enjoy.
Michael Bell
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books that I have read this year. Roland Ford is a relentless PI who was pretty much working off of his own money to solve a case. Dalton Strait is an alcoholic Congressman with financial and flashback issues. He lost a part of his life in Fallujah and also created an enemy with a non-heroic rescue. His wife disappeared and he then did some idiotic bait and switch. I loved the plot twists.
Don Gorman
(2 1/2). This is my second foray into the world of Roland Ford. He is a top notch protagonist, engaging in every way. A damn good thing, because this story is so over the top in so many ways you could turn it off in a second. But Roland gets us through. Weird family happenings, really insane terrorists, drug cartels, Vietnam flashbacks and so much more. The pace is good, the writing is reasonable and the action is pretty non stop. It all keeps rolling with Roland. Decent stuff.
Jackie Stanton
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, an enjoyable T. Jefferson Parker Roland Ford thriller, complete with marijuana growers/sellers/outlaws and a group of Chaos terrorists. Roland finds love, albeit briefly, and Parker’s prose is vivid and evocative of not only the actions but also the feelings of then protagonists. This would make a great movie.
Alan Perlman
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good effort by T. Jefferson Parker. Characters you love, characters you hate and some you can't make up your mind about. Great plot line, great portrayal of the reality of what some of our wounded veterans went thru and what the effects are. I liked it a lot, but at times I got confused (maybe because of my age!) . Highly recommend this book.
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: Roland Ford; a shady politician's wife is kidnapped and he hires PI Ford to find her; at the same time, California is rocked by domestic terrorists, and they might be connected; in the meantime, Ford becomes involved with the politician's sister, a rising entrepreneur in the marijuana business
Bruce Hopkins
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parker usually bases his books in San Diego County which makes them more enjoyable to locals. The Assemblyman who he profiles here has a lot in common with Congressman Duncan Hunter who was convicted of misuse of campaign funds. Parker adds a chilling reference to the extremist right-wing groups that seem to surfacing more frequently in today's charged political climate.
Valerie
This one didn’t really do anything for me. I like Roland’s character and the Irregulars but there was not much of the Irregulars involvement in this one! And the other characters weren’t very interesting either. Just sort of blah...
Lee Lipps
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding though a teensy bit implausible at the end. I started the book at 2 am and finished it at 8 pm the same day. It's been a long time since I did that. Self quarantining has some beneficial side effects.
Larry
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parker's fourth Roland Ford novel is very good. It's two defects (an interesting but repellent client and a fairly obvious set of kidnappers/terrorists) are offset by expert pacing, high level writing, and an attractive main character.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 7 Aug 23, 2020 05:19PM

• The Revelators (A Quinn Colson, #10)
  • The Palace (Simon Riske, #3)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise (A Jesse Stone Novel Book 19)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
  • Dead West
  • A Private Cathedral (Dave Robicheaux #23)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • Next to Last Stand (Walt Longmire, #16)
  • Over Tumbled Graves (Caroline Mabry, #1)
  • The Holiday
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)
  • Lone Jack Trail
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • From the Grave (Mac McKenzie, #17)
  • Under Pressure (Lucas Page #2)
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California

Roland Ford (4 books)
  • The Room of White Fire (Roland Ford #1)
  • Swift Vengeance (Roland Ford #2)
  • The Last Good Guy (Roland Ford #3)