Start by marking “The Truth About Love” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Love

The Truth About Love

Where most stories end, this one begins. Nina and Shane are already married and have a special needs baby. Life isn’t the fairy tale she imagined. Their happily ever after has never seemed so far away. Then one October, everything falls apart. Years of addiction result in Shane having a complete breakdown. Nina must decide whether to keep the family together, or keep Kylie ...more
Published November 12th 2015

Start your review of The Truth About Love
Raj
Nov 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*************Major Spoiler Ahead*************

This book had me spinning on my head miserably.The wife lived in sporadic denial 50% of the book causing me to have constant Linda Blair episodes.

I loved the part where the wife hid in a motel with her abusive ex who she had a restraining order placed against while her friends who supported her during her separation were going crazy with worry.She ended up berating them wildly for contacting the police to search for her.

The author could not decide
Coco.V
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/26/2019)! ...more
Ana Laura
If this author or anyone really believes this is really the truth about love I feel and seriously recommend therapy. This is not love, this is a toxic relationship of codependency. If you are in something like this do not look for excuses to romanticize this type of garbage. Run to the best therapist you know and treat yourself.
Robin Andrews
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is amazing

This is very honestly one of the best books I have ever read. I read an average of 500 books a year and this one is one of the best. Emma Nichols has out done herself with this one. I enjoy her books in general but this is the best I have read of her work. I would say it is definitely a must read.
Joy Whiteside
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Nichols has written another amazing story that once you start reading you will not be able to put it down. It moves along at a great pace, has amazing characters and a wonderful story. This book needs to be on your TBR list, you will not be sorry that you did so.
Becky Baldridge
This book was an extremely emotional read for me, and those emotions ran the gamut. I felt everything from empathy to anger, and even some happy when sweet little Kylie would reach another milestone. The story can be looked at in several different ways. Shane moves through several different types of addictive behaviors throughout the story, which could just be seen as an addictive personality with no desire to change. But, speaking from my own experiences, what I saw was a man with emotional and ...more
Gladys
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not an easy book to read. It is not light, or sweet, or anything faintly resembling a fairytale. What it is raw, harsh, painful, ugly and very realistic. Nina and Shane's story begins as many stories do, girl meets boy, attraction flares, passion ignites, emotions grow and they are on their way to a HEA. Ah, but this is no fairytale and real life decides to through a curveball at them and this couple starts down a dark an twisted path. This is a book that for the most part will evoke ...more
Marbea Logan
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is the absolute best! Even for a fiction story, the storyline was real. Sometimes you need more than love to build and maintain a happy balanced relationship. There's a quote that Shane said in the book.

“Today, we’re gathered here to celebrate love. Two people have vowed to spend their lives together. It’s a reckless endeavor, fraught with challenges. Love will be tested. Through time and experience it will evolve into something, which often looks nothing like the relationship that
Shermaine Dowling
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about making this work

I have to admit that this is the first Emma Nichols book that I didn't madly love. For some reason I just couldn't t get into the characters. Neither Shane nor Nina seemed to gel in my mind. Nina , I knew had one main goal and that was her daughter, KYlie, who had some special needs due to her premature birth. Shane, however, through the entire book, only had the goal of himself in every aspect of his behavior, actions, and words. Even after his deviousness resulted
Modern
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teeters on the border of non fiction, simply because of the reality in which the story is told. It’s not fluff, big gestures or all consuming love. It’s about the reality of the situation and the gritty truth in human reactions. While my stomach turned at the actions and reactions of the characters, I appreciated the reality of it.
This is not your typical love story and I pray it never will be.
I received this book for s voluntary, completely honest and non incentivized review.
Katie Knapp
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was hard to put down. It's definitely not your typical romantic story. I loved Nina. She is such a strong character. This book really shows what happens to a relationship when drugs and addicti p n become involved. I was very pleased with the story line. I seriously would recommend this to everyone. I'm sure I'll read it again.
Kimberly
Not my favorite E. Nichols book

I love Emma's books, but this one just fell flat for me. How someone could continuously live with someone who is abusive verbally and physically is beyond me. Yes I know that people do it on a daily basis. Yet through it all, Nina kept defending her sick husband, Shane, when her baby and herself should have come 1st!!

Josie Beckmann
I’m not usually one to give negative reviews, but this one just didn’t do it for me. Yes, addiction and abuse are horrible. I would have walked away. Hell, I walked away from a marriage that wasn’t nearly as bad ... so, meh.
Mary Quire
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review

I read this book for my local book club. It kept me on my toes and unsure what to hope for in way of the ending. I found myself as emotionally involved as Emma's characters and recommend it to anyone who enjoys high emotion reads.
Andrea
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

I enjoyed this book! Shane and Nina’s story was interesting! It was broken beyond what seemed like repair but things changed. This book promotes hope!
Jodia-Ann
This book had a very touching storyline but the story and characters didn't flow or deliver that punch I was expecting.
Cyndi Becker
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The thing about love is sometimes you have to decide if you want to be right, or if you want to be happy.”

Ever the romantic I’m always rooting for a couple to reconcile. This second chance story about true love took my emotions for a chaotic ride. For once, I couldn’t want that, right? But darn it all if the author didn’t sway me, she made me go there and I’m still not sure if I should find that frightening or comforting.

Centered around the marriage of Nina and Shane, we join the story as Nina
Michelle Ferrari-Johnson
Emotionally Grabbing

An honest look at the true feelings of love, marriage and addiction. So many emotions, half truths and those that think they know what's best for you. Marriage takes two to work and that makes it challenging to do what is necessary for your health and safety.
SouthernAngel
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not one for everyone, the plot leans more towards realism than most. Nina and Shane are happy, until they have a premature baby. The emotions and how they each deal with the situation they have been thrown into is life altering. The book is full of anger, addiction, inner strength, discovery and persevering love.
Ms. Nichols honestly writes about the most truthful and hardest subjects she can find. All I can say for this book is this: If you have ever wondered what it is like to live with a person who is addicted to drugs, then read this. The struggle is real. It is not as easy as packing and leaving. It is not as simple as turning your back on the person you thought you would spend your life with and starting over. It really isn't, even though the writing is all over the wall. You keep hoping, praying ...more
Theresa Natole
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Emma nichols does it but she stories are so believable. she is amazing and I was unable to put this one down. Sometimes love and marriage isn't the fairytale we grow up thinking it is. Sometimes life gets in the way. Addiction and a special needs child is not what Nina thought her life would be like. But sometimes life throws you curveballs and you have to choose how you live it. Nina loves her husband but he is not the same man that she fell in love with now because of his ...more
Rebecca Austin
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - such an amazing and heartbreaking book about love and addiction.

Nina Powers believed she had married an amazing man and thought they were magical together. Yet soon Shane was battling addictions and spiraling out of control. Nina had a daughter to be concerned about and so she did what she thought was right and left.

This book looks at the struggles that Nina faced as a single mother of a daughter with disabilities and whether or not she trusted Shane and his attempts to stay clean. This
Becky Claxon
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Emma Nichols writing. This book was a little depressing to me. The writing was wonderful, it was just the subject. Nina and Shane dated for awhile, and Shane said he never wanted to get married. He finally decided that he wanted to marry Nina. They were married, had a miscarriage, then had a preemie that needed special care. Shane started changing by drinking, then he got on pills. He would have some blow outs with Nina.

Nina was level headed and totally in love with Shane. She tried
Sioms
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings throughout this book. I'm not sure what to make of the heroine. Stupid? Martyr? Brave? Weak? Strong? I think she's all of them at some point in the story.

Finishing this book has been a struggle for me. I don't know, maybe this book is not just for me. I know how difficult it is to have an addict in your family. But you know, there's a big difference between enabling and helping them overcome the addiction.

I also believe in giving people another chance. If I were in her
Aline
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Whiplash, I've never experienced it in my life
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book, though my heart is heavy I'm blessed to not have experienced any of type of abuse in my life. Or addiction.
Emma is very gifted with this journey of tough times,verbal abuse, drug abuse, et forgiveness at its best et second chances. All with love at its foundation. It's a emotional book, I loved how Nina et Shawn survived. Its a book some of the secondary characters could
Captivating  Cakes
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About time....

It truly is ABOUT TIME someone laid it out there, like it really is! We may not all have an "exact" Shane, but I'm sure we all noticed some faults here, maybe even our own, that we can compare with our own life.
The truth hurts but needs to be told. Although I feel this was well written I don't believe in a magic prescription out there that fixes love and life. Reinforcing proper medications and therapy and family counseling needs to be integrated into the story.
Four stars!
Sarah ~Book Addict~
There were minimal editing errors, mostly an occasional missing word. Outside of that, this book was an intense emotional roller coaster ride all the way through. It’s not an easy read by any means, but it gripped me in the beginning and didn’t let me go til the end. I was fully engaged with the story. I felt so deeply for Nina and Kylie and for Shane as well. I will most definitely be reading more by this new-to-me author.
Patti
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say that love conquers all but it's never a clear and easy path. This heart wrenching story bares the grey areas of love and marriage. The storyline is Far different from the Nichols books I have read so far yet still written in Emma's masterful way. My emotions were all over the place struggling with the main character. For the true roller coaster ride that love is, this book takes you on that journey.
Sophie Koufes
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about Nina and Shane who are already married and have a special needs baby. This second chance romance story about true love is very well written. This is a profoundly moving story depicting the dissallusion of a marriage that revolves around chemical addiction/abuse, & mental ilness. The character's are realistic with raw emotion. This is a very powerful read. I highly recommend reading this as you will not be dissappointed.
Lindsey
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love, abuse, weakness.

This is the story of an abused wife. I hated the weakness of Nina, the main character. The abuse bestowed on her by her husband was ridiculous. Yet she continues to make excuses for him until she finally doesn't. Even when her life is going well and she is strong, her need for him still surfaces. I guess it's a story that shows people can change but I am not buying it!

• Pretend Wife
  • Crushed
  • Something About a Hot Guy
  • What He Always Knew (What He Doesn't Know, #2)
  • Cold As Puck (Cold Love #1)
  • Checked (Boston Terriers Hockey #1)
  • Between Now and Always (Forever Trilogy, #3)
  • Emphatic (Soul Serenade #1)
  • Assured (Soul Serenade #2)
  • That Girl
  • Insistent (Soul Serenade Book #4)
  • With This Ring
  • Burned
  • What He Doesn't Know (What He Doesn't Know, #1)
  • Something So Perfect (Something So, #2)
  • Between Now and Heartbreak (Forever Trilogy, #2)
  • The Plus Ones
  • Auction Time (Bad Boy Bachelors of Orange County, #3)
What made her decide to be an erotica author?

Simple.

How else was she going to parlay her two favorite past times into a career?

Emma is single and loving it. Like her first character, Alysin, Sin for short, she doesn't believe in settling or in settling down. She loves to indulge in her passions whenever the mood strikes and enjoys keeping all of life's cliche moments spicy.

Known for her sense of