Start by marking “With Her Fists” as Want to Read:
With Her Fists

With Her Fists

Clarice "Shocker" Ares retired from a sensational pro-boxing career to focus on her family and growing mechanic business.

In an instant, everything she has worked for is shattered, when the police find a shipment of drugs in their shop, and wrongfully send Clarice and her husband to prison. Incarcerated and desperate after court appeals are denied, Clarice must become the

Published November 24th 2019 by Terminal Velocity - A Next Chapter Imprint

To ask other readers questions about With Her Fists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Her Fists

Start your review of With Her Fists
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This very exciting novel, by for me a new author who goes by the name, Henry Roi, was my first encounter with this author and this book was certainly an amazing reading experience.
It's a very well structured novel, set in three parts, with a great storyline and it's filled with fast-paced action-packed dramatical occurrences from start to finish.
Storytelling is of a superb quality, for the author brings the American justice system come alive with all its corruption and briberies, and he's establ
Rory Costello
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Uneven but generally enjoyable -- the label "popcorn movie" fits it well. It reminds me a little of the '80s cult film "Buckaroo Banzai" -- but here, instead of a male neurophysicist/test pilot/rock musician, we have a female boxer/mechanic/driver/tattoo artist. It's a mélange of story lines, and the tone swings wildly from violence to ultraviolence to goofy humor. There is a fair amount of good stuff in it, though. The scene that stood out for me was the construction and use of the homemade tat ...more
Lel Budge
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clarice ‘The Shocker’ is a boxer, a mechanic, tattooist and mother. When a car is brought into her shop for diagnosed repair, she gets to work but what she finds hidden in a seat turns her life into a nightmare.

Clarice is a strong woman who tries to make the most of a horrific situation using her wits and determination.

At its heart this is a crime novel with drug cartels, corrupt cops and the dark US prison system. There is also boxing with plenty of fights and tough injuries. This is a tale of
Joni Martins

Author: Henry Roi
Genre: Crime/Fiction
Part of a series? No
Order in series:
Best read after earlier books in series?
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Overall score:
I scored this book 4/5
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Short Summary of the book:
In this book we meet Clarice. Clarice is also known as ‘Shocker’, a champion female boxer. Now retired, Clarice wishes to spend time in her garage and tattoo parlour while spending time with her husb
Mani
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Firstly, let me start by saying a big thank you to Henry Roi for sending me a digital copy of this book and also an apology for taking so long to read it.

With Her Fists is a crime novel full of police corruption, drug cartels and an interesting US prison system, which I found interesting to read about.

This was a well written fast paced book, with lots of action to keep you turning the pages. I really liked the in depth descriptions throughout the book, however, at times they do get a little too
Isobel Blackthorn
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
With her Fists is a gritty, action-packed thriller featuring a strong female lead. The author clearly knows his stuff when it comes to boxing. Themes of police corruption, sadistic prison guards, drug cartels and one female boxing champ determined to take on whatever she's dealt and exact revenge are woven into a narrative laced with violence and a healthy dose of wit. Puts prison fiction into a class of its own. ...more
Kamaya Tarpley
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was nice and refreshing to finally see a female lead written without any stereotypes or made to appear inferior. Clarice is a really strong character mentally and especially physically. I enjoyed following her and her husband as they attempted to prove their innocence after being framed by corrupt cops.
Valerie
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This starts off with a female boxer Clarice “ Shocker” Ares fighting her last fight-retiring! Because of corruption in the police force her and her husband are arrested and sent away on drug charges. Putting his electronic wizardry to good use he manipulates the system so they are able to escape and exact revenge on the two officers that started this nightmare!

This is a book that the action continues throughout the story! Great characters who fight to get their life back! There were a few parts
Zach Abrams
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wrong time, wrong place and a system riddled with corruption.

Champion boxer, tattoo artist and business woman, Clarice "Shocker" Ares has her life torn apart. She’s wrongly accused and incarcerated, when her only mistake was trying to be a good citizen. Despite overwhelming odds, she’s not ready to yield. She relies on her developed skills: her wits, strength & speed, to confront the worst that the new community she finds herself in, can throw at her.

Henry Roi’s portrayal is accomplished. It’s
Sahani Perera, The Book Sherpa
If you are an avid reader with an insatiable hunger for a prison fiction that pumps your adrenaline, then With Her Fists wouldn't fail to surprise you. As a début novel, Henry Roi creates scruples and quasi-moments, making you itch and question the realistic nature of the character's circumstance. One must take a stand as this read isn't for sensitive readers who find gang life, drugs, religious discrimination, and profane language intolerable.

Segregated into 3 parts, it consists of 26 chapter
De Gevallene
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From start to rip-roaring finish, With Her Fists is a vibrant rule-breaker of a novel that picks you up by your ankles, swings you round and takes you to all sorts of places you never planned to go. (I don’t think Henry Roi much cares whether you go through the book kicking-and-screaming or laughing-and-crying. About that, he’ll let you take your choice, but once you start he’s not going to give you any choice about finishing.)

This is definitely five stars but it isn’t standard crime writing. I
Meredith Rankin
Thanks to the author for a copy of With Her Fists in exchange for an honest review.

Before you pick up this book, brace yourself. It's a gritty and wild thriller. Roi takes us into the violent world of prisons and drug cartels, corrupt police and sadistic prison guards and aggressive ex-boxers with nothing (and everything) to lose. It gets violent. Pack your bullet-resistant and stab-proof vest just in case. And stay alert. You don't want to be on the receiving end of Clarice Ares's fists.

Claric
Steph Warren
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

With Her Fists is a brutal crime thriller, featuring a corrupt, unjust system and a family that comes out fighting and refuses to go down.

Clarice Ares is a devoted wife and mother, a skilled mechanic, a dedicated and creative tattoo artist, and – under the name ‘Shocker’ – a prize-winning fighter. So, she was never going to go quietly when framed as a drug dealer and thrown into pr
D.K. Hundt
DNF – I hate not finishing a book - it pains me to no end - but it does happen, unfortunately.

WITH HER FISTS - I wanted to love this book, you have no idea how much I wanted to love this book!!

The book opens with an intense scene with a wee bit of corruption and then moves onto the protagonist - pro-boxer, Clarice ‘Shocker' Ares, who kicks ASS! during her last televised fight on HBO - Yeeessss! Roi does an excellent job describing the fight scene; it felt like I was actually there.

Unfortunately
Iseult Murphy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is about Clarice ‘The Shocker’ Ares and her husband, Ace, who are wrongfully imprisoned by corrupt cops, who work for a drug cartel.
I enjoyed the parts of the book that depicted Clarice’s boxing career and her preparations for fights.
Unfortunately, the majority of this book follows the main characters when they are in prison. It doesn’t seem such a bad place. They make friends, easily get illegal contraband and Clarice makes a professional quality tattoo machine and goes into busines
Eddy Wu
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An exhilarating read from beginning to end.

Clarice "Shocker" was set up and sent to prison for a crime she didn't commit. The book details the preparation and some other miscellaneous details of a prison life. With help of a geek husband who was able to hack into the communication system, she managed to get out and has her eyes on retribution.

Great character and plot development, recommended.
Robert Ullrich
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenge
Intriguing and thought provoking

This is the first book I've read by Henry Roi. With Her Fists is a complex and I think, well written story of overcoming adversity and a crooked legal system that can make a case against the innocent. I won't say anything else, lest I spoil it. I'm glad I made the time to read it. There's always time for a good read, you simply need to take it.
Janet Burris
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!

Thank you for a great book...I loved the characters...wow..:) I will be watching for other books that are written....wow!! I recommend this to anyone..😊
Ian Maconachie
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2020
Feb 02, 2020
Cynthia Vissers
Feb 06, 2020

• Sinner's Cross
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
  • Fire Queen (Shakespeare’s Queens #2)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • Crocodile Tears
  • The Ghost Of Villa Winter (Canary Islands Mysteries Book 4)
  • Time Tells All
  • Death of a Young Lieutenant (The Jake Reynolds Mysteries, #1)
  • Purple Kitty: A Serena McKay Crime Novel (Serena McKay Crime Novels Book 1)
  • Sons of the Pope
  • The Hangman Box Set (Hangman #1-3)
  • Hidden in the Shadows: An unforgettable WW2 novel (Untold WW2 Stories)
  • Of Myth and Shadow
  • Highway Twenty
  • A Prison in the Sun (Canary Islands Mysteries Book 3)
  • The Devil's Disciples (Matthew Bartholomew, #14)
  • To Kill or Cure (Matthew Bartholomew, #13)

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...