Start by marking “Between Enzo and the Universe” as Want to Read:
Between Enzo and the Universe

Between Enzo and the Universe

If Enzo listed his problems, being single wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. It might not even be in the top twenty list of problems that he faces on a daily basis.

His grandmother is dead. His parents are dead. His sister and brother are dead. He has no money. No friends. No job. He's all alone in a country that will always seem strange. Soon, he might not ev
Published January 14th 2020 by Lion Fish Press, The (first published January 13th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Between Enzo and the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Enzo and the Universe

Start your review of Between Enzo and the Universe
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will put this book at the topmost favourite of 2020 reads. And I don't think there's another book as prefect as this that I am going to read this year. It is so well-written and so well executed that I still cannot believe I have read something like this.

My head is floating at the moment because I just finished up reading this book like 2 seconds ago.

This book is so damn raw and real. I don't think I will ever read something this real ever again (if it happens it will be so rare, I believe).
Dean Cole
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read Chase Connor’s A Surplus of Light recently, I was keen to see what his latest offering was like. It's hard to pick a favourite, because both books are equally great.

Between Enzo and the Universe tells the story of hapless Enzo, a twenty year old French native who emigrated to Canada with his family when he was a child. Misfortune befalls this young man in spades, with serious illness, poverty and death shaping him into a wounded and disillusioned young man. This is the setup to an in
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

Until "Between Enzo and the Universe" I've never read anything by this author. I don't have the slightest idea what else he writes even BUT.. I'm really glad I took a chance on this.

AND: Chase Connor, if you don't write a follow up book about these guys I'm going to have to hunt you down and tie you to a chair until you do. (Not Stephen King style though but still, I'll probably force you to eat all your vegetables and things like that. It wo
Kent Schuelke
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a young writer’s masterpiece.

Twenty-something wordsmith and storyteller Chase Connor delivers his 18th novel and it’s an extraordinary one. This critic ranks it as his best. “Between Enzo and the Universe” is a highly entertaining and emotional (have tissues ready) existential meditation on family and a young man’s search for his place in the universe.

This novel deserves to earn Connor a large audience and wide critical favor. Pass the word, please. You read it here first.

At 220 pages,
Betsy Wilce
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In his latest book, Chase Connor’s, non-linear story, ostensibly presents us with two different stories. It is not so much as one written as flashbacks, but one where the past and the present glide seamlessly into each other, as Enzo and Peter navigate the twelve hours that will change their lives.
Enzo’s life is changed forever when his family of six emigrate from France to Québec. He and his parents, his Cambodian grandmother, and his two adopted siblings, both with special needs, try to fit i
Ronnie
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How is it that someone can so perfectly describe very specific emotions? Like the feeling of being estranged from the culture you’re only halfway a part of? Or the only way to repay unnecessary cruelty? Or the loneliness felt through responsibility? Or the unlikeliness of ever encountering happiness?
I could go on and on, but here I am truly left speechless

If you ever pick up a book again, which, if you are here you will, let it be this one next. You will never ever regret it.
Guy Venturi
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Universal truths about love and life.

Enzo is an enigma that tries to hide, but is far to special to be missed. His family is all gone. He is in a strange country where almost no one cares about him and his verbal language difficulties in two languages.

But his heart speaks a different language than his head. His sexy look is overwhelming but shadowed by fear. His ability to handle the hardships of his life have been exhausted. He fears for his future...

Then a stranger needs help and Enzo helps. T
Adam Wing
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can think of few books as personal, tender or heartfelt as what's offered in Between Enzo and the Universe. It's a truly touching story about hardship, despair, and hope. With language that is at once earnest and artful, it paints portraits of a life buffeted by the storms of its past, and adrift in the void of its present, finding a glimmer of something good, nurturing it, and carrying it into a future of what might be.

If you're looking for an emotional tale, or just a human tale, this book i
Bahar
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books, but rarely feel the need to write a review. But this is one of those occasions where a book touched me so deeply that I felt the need to tell others.

Between Enzo and the Universe broke my heart, made me laugh, and gave me hope. It exposed my greatest fears, losing everything and being alone. As I was reading this book, I was reminded that just a little kindness can make a big impact, and that I should be kinder to others. It also inspired me to call my dad.

The writing styl
Tony Williamson,jr.
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life lessons within

This book will make you think, feel and then ponder life. Not sure if there will be a book 2, and honstly, as much as I loved this story, I d!I not think it requires a 2nd book. Just use one's imagination.
Kirstin
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was more than just a book to read. It was an entire experience!

Told solely from Enzo's point of view, chapters alternate between his past and the current day/night that he spends with Peter, a man he meets by chance shopping for a new coat.

The few hours spent together affect both of their trajectories forever. Each one giving more of themselves than ever before to the other; trust, the potential for a better life, and hope bloom as the time they share passes.

I loved so many things about the
D. G. Alan
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply an amazing read!

I was sucked in right from the start and enjoyed digging through so many emotional layers of this fascinating book.
This book touches on so many different feeling and emotions and will pull at your heart strings in so many wonderful ways.
The book switches chapter by chapter between Enzo’s present time and his past.
There were so many touching concepts and ideas about life, death, and love in this book.
I feel like this book is a perfect read for just about anyone and eve
Martin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little bit like a modern fairytale. But dark. I liked the somehow optimistic end.
dani
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
when i finished a surplus of light, i was aware that chase connor was a terrific writer; however, between enzo and the universe was written in this beautiful way that even if the paragraph was about the description of a place, i was in awe. he has power in his words and i’m at his disposal.
(the age gap had me appalled but i still loved it, help)
travis
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"My family was dying. And I was gay."

This book utterly captivated me. At first, I felt for poor Enzo, but as the story progressed and I learned more about his backstory, I found myself relating to him way more than I had expected to. After recently losing both of my parents, I found what happened with Enzo's parents, the sudden death of his dad, and the prolonged death of his mom, hitting all too close to home. Despite that, I think the book was something that I needed to read at just the right
Tjpayne
Absolutely amazing. Now one of my favorites. Review to come.
Jessica Calla
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and touching. Sad and hopeful. Another wonderful story by Chase Connor.
Bob S.
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a heart warming story! Chase Connor is a wonderful story teller. I’ve read several of his books and this is one of my favorites.
Rebecca
Outstanding

What an extraordinary story. A story of love,redemption and finding happiness after when the universe has dealt you one loss after the other.Chase Connor demonstrates remarkable skill as a writer.This no run of the mill m/m story. It is beautifully written and very subtle.A very rewarding read.It is both heartbreak and uplifting.Highly recommended.5*+

Dave McGarvey
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gay male version of "Pretty Woman" but with amazing characters. Also, the older gentleman is not hiring Enzo for sex but is drawn to him when Enzo intervenes on his behalf. The time they spend together on their first meeting is enough to tell them they are meant for each other. Enzo has suffered the loss of his nuclear family and is just getting by on sheer survival instinct. Peter a successful businessman has been in relationships but none that have completed him. Well worth the read. ...more
Ada
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enzo
Whereever you, am hoping America.
I wish you the best.
Life dealt you an unfair blow, but you found love.
Take it and run with it into the arms of Peter.
Goddamm you Chase Connor for making me cry so much.
A.J. Stiles
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you read a book just for simple pleasure of reading to pass the time with a good story. Sometimes you read a book whose words sing to you from the page.
I did not know what to expect before reading Between Enzo and the Universe and this is my first book by Chase Connor; I can’t wait to read more from this talented author.
You know when you have just read a well written book, because the characters speak to you for days afterwards. The book touches on many themes: identity, acceptance, e
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I loved this story so so much. I just got lost in these characters and the lovely way they see and interact with the world around them. And for once I was ok with the alternating timeframes and the evolving information we are given about Enzo’s past. It was done so well.
Helen Whistberry
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-lit
Delicately quiet tale that juxtaposes the fateful night that follows a chance meeting with a fascinating American with Enzo's backstory and how he came to be alone and friendless in a city and a country that doesn't feel like home. Poignant exploration of family, love, loss, poverty, illness, loneliness, and ultimately, hope. Is there such a thing as a soul mate? Can one night with a stranger change the whole course of your life? After reading this thoughtful tale, I'd like to believe so. Well-w ...more
Mary Peters
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deep and Heartwarming!

What an incredible read, and hits close to home many times. Vivid details, deep thought characters, and I could literally see, smell, and salivate over the donuts.

I don't do Spoilers of any kind in my reviews but I will mention this: I loved how patient Peter was with Enzo, never doing anything that Enzo didn't want. Peter was very open-minded and valued Enzo's thoughts, words, and presence.

Enzo has such deep thoughts as he ponders life in general, wondering why he's been d
Carol Levitt
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy Toledo

A few years back I wrote a review of your first Jacob Michaels book. I loved it, but suggested editing would be helpful. I one hundred percent retract my criticism.

I don't know what happened between then and now, but your progress as a writer is stunning. This gem of a book flew by and I know I will begin rereading it shortly. (Goodreads' reading goal be damned) It was brilliant, touching, so sad yet full of hope. It makes me think of my dead parents differently, and that is a very go
Diane
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just an Amazing Night

This author is so talented. He brings the emotions of his characters to the forefront of a tightly woven story. You cry with them. Laugh with them. Feel their hope. Taste the sugar.

What he does best is let you experience the plot and immerse yourself in Quebec through your own dreams, hopes and memories.

I’m recommending this to everyone who loves lovers and life. Definitely an author I’ll be reading more from.
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chase Connor is one of my favorite authors and I absolutely loved his latest book, Between Enzo and the Universe! It is exquisitely beautiful, devastatingly sad, and profoundly hopeful. I highly recommend it!!
Rory Michaelson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Smart, thoughtful, honest, and beautiful.

I ate this book up in a few short reads, and would have finished it in a single sitting if I'd had the time. This was my first Chase Connor book and I know I will now be reading a lot more.
Daniella Dauria
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful love story

Such a beautiful love story that MUST have a Part 2 (please). So many things left open-ended so hoping and praying that Enzo and Peter’s love story continues wherever it may.

• Project Hero
  • Ghosting You
  • Rare
  • Stay
  • Have Mercy
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Lock & West
  • Let There Be Light (Twin Hearts, #1)
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Beautiful & Terrible Things
  • Love Always, Wild (For Him, #1)
  • There Goes Sunday School
  • Virgin Farm Boy: Bonus Story Max
  • Born Too Late
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • The Weird Sisters of Wynter’s Hill: A Malhaven Mystery (Malhaven Mysteries Book 1)
  • Follow the River (River of Rain, #1)
Chase Connor currently lives in Des Moines, Iowa with his husband, his dog, Rimbaud, and spends his days writing about the people who live (loudly and rent-free) in his head when he’s not busy being enthusiastic about naps and Pad Thai. Chase started his writing career as a confused gay teen looking for an escape from reality. Ten years later, one of the books he wrote during those years, Just A D ...more