Start by marking “Foundations Of Western Civilization II: A History of the Modern Western World (Great Courses, #8700)” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
DVD
220 pages
Published by The Teaching Company (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations Of Western Civilization II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations Of Western Civilization II

Erick Njenga
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best lecture I've ever read/attended. Prof. Bucholz managed to condense 600 yrs of European history into 48 lectures in a very comprehensible and fun way.

High recommendation.
Peter Mcloughlin
Very good series of lectures running about 24 hours of video is a good intro to modern European history from about 1500. It has the standard political bent of an American academic but very well done in the execution of the series.
Scott Ableman
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely anybody
I got this course directly from The Great Courses on audio CD and it is fantastic. As much as I enjoyed the predecessor course Foundations of Western Civilization I, I absolutely devoured Foundations II with Professor Bucholz. He is a completely engaging teacher, and his style is perfectly suited for a broad survey course of this nature.

History, particularly modern history, can of course be explored endlessly. The shortcut versions memorized in high school (the reformation began with a note on
Gary
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything in the world is the way it is because it became that way and is a past function of things which came before it. Nothing ever happens without a reason. This lecture looks at all the pieces that went in to making us who we are and will explain how we became that way.

The real focal point for this lecture series is why did "The Great War" happen? He'll take the listener past that point into WW II and through the Cold War, but to understand those events he must first take the listener on t
jeffrey
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not knowing about this course I picked up the second set of lectures in this series at the local library, as a kind of fill-in while waiting for other audio books I had ordered online. I expected a dry, fact-filled recitation of the usual topics I had heard throughout high school or maybe a college course or two. I was wrong. Professor Bucholz made this interesting, informative and fun. I couldn't wait to get into my car to drive somewhere just to continue with the story. Now I've ordered the re ...more
Void lon iXaarii
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
On the plus side this course is so very fascinating and exciting, it's hard not to get excited by the speaker's passion and knowledge. I admire a lot his great research and passionate telling of events through history.

On the minus side i found he often fell into the typical traps of historians and got into soft logic and well meaning/sounding things in attempts to either extrapolate causes or propose solutions. He also tries very hard to be politically correct, not offend anybody, call all cult
Annikka K
Heh, aikamoinen I have a dream -nostatus tossa lopussa, tässä minä nyt niin nöyränä seison ja oottelen myrskyisiä suosionosoituksia. Oottaa saatkin ainakin jos täältä päin oottelet, sillä vähän meni puolella korvalla toi paatos. Mikä siinä on että historian opiskelu tekee monista ihmisistä ihan sietämättömiä? Kai se vaan on niin vaikee olla nöyrä, kun kerta kaikkiaan tietää paremmin. Mulla ei o kyllä siitä pelkoo. Toivottavasti tosta jäi nyt edes jotain pientä päähän (ainakin se great chain of b ...more
Ilinca
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
It seemed quite a great intro. Heavy on some topics, rather light on others, but overall very enjoyable. Except, I must say, for his readings out of various authors, which came out with weird emphases. Anyway. So, it all seemed great.
And then came the last chapter, where he basically spewed out all kinds of inflated self-evident half-truths and emphatic bits of wisdom. I had to tune out. His silly philosophizing on the meaning of civilization left me cold.
Other than that, and up to that point, i
JP
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook. The professor, Robert Bucholz was incredible. I was sad to hear the course end and would definitely recommend this course to all interested in Western Civ type courses. Bucholz teaches another Great Course called History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts which I have not listened to yet. Highly recommended.
Richard Temple
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great. Perhaps he could have focused a little less on wars and more on artistic and social changes, but it is still a great listen.
Jerome
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Western history communicated in a well researched, at times humorous way. Highly recommended!
Alli
Jan 09, 2016
Rich
Oct 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert O. Bucholz (D. Phil., University of Oxford, 1988; A.B. Cornell University, 1980) is a professor of history at Loyola University Chicago, where he teaches courses on the history of early modern Great Britain, the city of London and Western Civilization.
More about Robert O. Bucholz...