Start by marking “Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business” as Want to Read:

Can business activity in itself be morally good and pleasing to God? Sometimes business can seem so shady-manipulating the "bottom line," deceiving the consumer, or gaining promotions because of whom you know.

But Wayne Grudem introduces a novel concept: business itself glorifies God when it is conducted in a way that imitates God's character and creation. He shows that all
Published November 6th 2003 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Business for the Glory of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business for the Glory of God

Start your review of Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
Natalie Mangrum
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who wrestles with guilt from owning a profitable business. Excellent!
Jonathan D
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent articulation of the Bible’s perspective on what constitutes God-pleasing business. Grudem is not articulating they ethics of good business, specially, but he is defending such elements as possession and ownership/stewardship, profit, money, borrowing and lending, and even inequality of resources. He remained very balanced in articulating the intrinsic value of business without making it an issue of the great commission or transformationalism.
Adam Calvert
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
As the title suggests, this book is about doing business for the glory of God. While not as full as I'd wished it was, it still contained some really good insight from the Bible about the morally good nature of business - that God created it to be a good thing. Man, as a sinner, can (and does) certainly corrupt it into something bad; but contrary to the belief that business (or even profit) is a "necessary evil" Grudem shows that it is truly a good institution that God uses to bring glory to Him ...more
Josh Crews
Aug 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Grudem brings the heat at how awesome business is (or can be) glorifying to God.

The main thesis is that business is considered by many Christians to be morally neutral: neither inheirantly good or evil. (Or sometimes it considered outright evil). Grudem brings the biblical case hard that it's morally good and God glorifying and runs through all these topics and how it's God's design/mandate: ownership, profit, productivity, employment, money, inequality of possesions, competition, borrowing (an
Ryan Watkins
This book was given to me by a good friend of mine. Very short, basic book on the goodness of business. The chapters on Inequality of Possessions and Effect on World Poverty were especially good. For those already familiar with the Protestant work ethic there probably isn't anything in here that you are not already aware of.
Marney
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's poorly written and repeats three things throughout the course of the book.
1) The ability to complete the activities of business separate us from the animal kingdom.
2) The activities of business are not evil in themselves.
3) They can be used to glorify God.
Judah Cofer
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little book for any Christian in business. My wife also loved listening to it as well.
David Carroll
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finance
While not exactly a bad read, the book's chapters were quite redundant and gave the impression that a short one-page essay could convey the same information covered by the entire book.
Ryan Yoder
Meh

I had to read it for school. Not exactly deep and the arguments were surface driven. Tho, in his defense he seemed to task himself with pointing out the obvious.
Justin Tapp
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business This is one of a series of books I am reading related to the theology of work. However, Grudem's work would tend to fall more into economics than it would work/labor or even business. This book is more an extended essay, but Grudem calls it a book and sells it as such, so it's a book. I teach economics to undergraduates and non-traditional college students on Christian campuses and would gladly use this book in ...more
Robert
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of like a Reformed version of Fransisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian D'anconia's money speech.

1. "Owning possessions is fundamentally good and provides many opportunities for glorifying God, but also many temptations to sin."
2. "Producing goods and services is fundamentally good and provides many opportunities for glorify God, but also many temptations to sin." "The distortions of something good should not allow us to think that the thing itself is evil. Increasing the production of
Keren Threlfall
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it

In his brief book (just under 100 pages), Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business , Wayne Grudem asks readers to consider that business is not intrinsically evil, but an important means of glorifying God.

Grudem wants readers to know that business, standing alone, can glorify God — not just when it's harnessed as an evangelistic tool (though he agrees this is can also be beneficial to the kingdom when used in such a manner). This is a helpful m
Christian
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
To his credit, Grudem argues that business, possessions, money, profit, competition, and all the rest are not evil or even morally neutral, but fundamentally good. As in, blessed by God. (Exempli gratia: the commandment against stealing implies private ownership; the Proverbs 31 woman is commended for earning profit.) Grudem admits that all created goods can be used for evil, but he goes to bat for them, which is commendable.

I part ways with him in two places. First, he says that the free market
Rob Brock
This is a short book on a big topic, but I had hoped the book would deliver so much more. I appreciate the authors encouragement to intentionally seek to glorify God in everything we do, including all aspects of business. But I was not convinced by his arguments that many of these activities are fundamentally good and ordained by God. I understand arguing that they are not fundamentally evil, but he stretches the scriptures at many points to try to suggest that the activities of business in a mo ...more
Joshua
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, short book on God’s perspective toward all things business and economics — ownership, productivity, employment, profit, money, inequality, competition, borrowing and poverty.

Grudem dispels the notion that money is inherently bad, theologically, but asserts that all economics are fundamentally God-given and we can use them for good or for evil. Too often for evil, in fact, but that doesn’t make them fundamentally bad.
Gina Mcandrew
Excellent read with solutions

Wayne Grudem’s book should be a supplement to introductory business classes in Christian schools and universities. HIs insights are thought-provoking and profitable for group discussions. His solution to world poverty is excellent, and if used by entrepreneurs worldwide, we would eradicate oppression and poverty.
Nicholas Lewis
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
It's got some interesting points and provides a basic theological groundwork for business but that's about it.
Kingsley Layton
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
In a world that expects subjective morals and situational ethics, this is a must read for any Christian running or involved in running their own business.
Andrew Mulnix
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish this was longer
Justin Cho
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good!

It is simple book but change a lot of misunderstanding on the business. We can wok for the glory of God! We can overcome various temtations related to the business!
Franklin D. Sears
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Good quick easy read. Would of like more explanations and more focus on solutions to negatives in business. God can bless you through reading this book.
Dennis
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and to the point. Simply said and with reference to back up his points
Mary Jo
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Had to read it for my Business Law class. It was an easy read. Grudem made a lot of good points and I would say it is overall theologically accurate.
Bryan Bridges
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Not as detailed and extensive as I expected it to be. Still good though.
Joel Gass
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short little book, good for a daily read. Encouraging.
Kavin Kramer
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Good but I hoped there would be more time spent on why these concepts around money and mutually beneficial economy are "gifts from God".
Matt Lewis
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grudem explains the basic moral principles that ought to guide a Christian's attitude towards business. It is in places repetitive, but the content within is a broad and solid foundation to the subject.
Russell Gehrlein
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed reading this book. I highly recommend it. It was short but had a lot of impact. Grudem was biblical, consistent, practical, and at times humorous. He was able to break down some very complex economic ideas into language that the average reader would be able to understand and accept. He did an excellent analysis of various aspects of business such as ownership, profit, competition, and borrowing and lending. He carefully presented how each of them was created not morally neutral, ...more
Jun Sung Lee
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The point that various aspects of running a business are not evil or morally neutral but good is made repeatedly, but it doesn’t come across as redundant; rather, it serves to drive the message home. A concise work that serves as a primer for Grudem’s later release, The Poverty of Nations.
Julie Stroud
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are in business and you are a Christian, this is a must read. It's short, too, so it won't take long! This book is rich with theology regarding the purpose of work and profit, and the biblical way to engage in the marketplace. Sets your thinking to biblical standards. I will probably be recommending my business coaching clients read this!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • Ethics 101: What Every Leader Needs To Know
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • Unashamed
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Reasonable Faith
  • Orthodoxy
Wayne Grudem (PhD, University of Cambridge; DD, Westminster Theological Seminary) is research professor of theology and biblical studies at Phoenix Seminary, having previously taught for 20 years at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Grudem earned his undergraduate degree at Harvard University, as well as an MDiv from Westminster Seminary. He is the former president of the Evangelical Theologica ...more

News & Interviews