Start by marking “Tank Girl: The Gifting” as Want to Read:
Tank Girl: The Gifting

Tank Girl: The Gifting (Tank Girl)

In these days of ultra-serious mega-crossovers, comics gets exactly what it's been needing -- a jolt of adrenaline courtesy of the too-long-absent Tank Girl!
Co-creator Alan C. Martin is back to offer redemption to anyone who sat through the Tank Girl movie, and what's more, this time the book's art chores will be handled by artist/painter Ashley Wood! Get ready for a fun
Published November 20th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tank Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tank Girl

Marissa
Jan 06, 2015 Marissa rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
I finally got around to reading some of the Ashley Wood issues of Tank Girl after loving the series for such a long time. While I was really psyched to see what a female artist would do with her, I just have to admit that I found myself really missing Jamie Hewlett's one-of-a-kind, anarchic punk style. Ashley Wood's art feels more muted 50's mod than technicolor punk and it's just hard to get used to in a character whose entire substance is that singular style. I do appreciate that in most of th ...more
Nov 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I could have liked this book. The art was charming. I admired the variation in writing styles (and I particularly liked the inclusion of hiaku and other verse throughout). I guess it was the overwhelming crudity of the stories (so, so much fecal-centeredness and meaningless violence) that turned me off. Also, I actively disliked the characters. It's difficult to determine which group of associates is more deplorable: Tank Girl's or the gang from It's Always Sunny. Maybe 13-year-old me w
Rachel
Jun 16, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Just kind of mediocre. The writing isn't bad but the art style doesn't suit Tank Girl at all. It's too constrained and forced, without any of the liveliness found in older Tank Girl. It was almost too serious, and often dragged. I skipped some pages because the dialog was going nowhere, and the action scenes unreadable.
robomatey
Jun 26, 2008 robomatey rated it did not like it
Shelves: sucked
ashley wood makes these awesome sexy paintings of nekkid girls and robots (together at last!) this though, not so much. the art sucks and i could beat up this version of tank girl. sheesh. look to D'Airain Aventure or his art books instead.
Reggie Kray
Apr 26, 2016 Reggie Kray rated it really liked it
I have never read Tank Girl before - surprisingly. Deranged, unconventional and humorous. The plot(s) didn't really make much sense. I do believe that was the intention. Loved it!
Shanna
It starts off a bit dry, but once getting to the end of the second issue, I at least ran into the best quote I've ever come across that totally relates to my personal life. "I'm a whole different kind of cunt from what you're used to dealing with.. I'm from The League of Extraordinary Cuntywomen." This phrase resonates with me at the moment.

Despite that little fun factoid though, it does get more fascinating after realizing I hadn't missed an issue and I w
Ari Eris
Jan 25, 2013 Ari Eris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I am SO happy that Tank Girl & Co. are back, aren't you? This volume was just as much fun as the originals. I miss Jamie Hewlett's raunchy art but Ashley Wood and Rufus Dayglo make a pretty good team. The pencils and colors are excellent, and I'm happy to report that there is a cover gallery in the back. Damn, this book looks good! And Martin is still at the top of his game as a writer. He really makes the characters who they are; Tank Girl just didn't feel the same in The Odyssey and Ap ...more
Michael B Tager
Feb 08, 2016 Michael B Tager rated it it was ok
I can see why people like Tank Girl: it's irreverent, violent, amusing. But I didn't find it particularly clever or subversive, it had weird gender stuff going on that I didn't dig and there was a lot of anecdotal humor that didn't sustain me. Maybe I need more narrative and continuation of storyline. Shrug. Maybe I'll check out the old stuff sometime.

Also, the art killed me. Seemed amateurish without being simple. It was cluttered and really interfered with my enjoyment.
Jamil
Dec 30, 2007 Jamil rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
i think i've decided tank girl as a concept is just lost on me. or maybe i'm just not steeped in scatalogical brit humour (like benny hill?) enough to actually get it. that said I really dig the cartooning by ashley wood & rufus dayglo. yeah, sure, they ain't jaime hewlett, but i think the lads make a go of it.
Alice Urchin
Nov 17, 2013 Alice Urchin rated it really liked it
The art is totally fantastic. I love all of the different panel layouts, the drawing style, and the way it's colored. It makes me want to experiment more with the way that I draw and layout comics. The stories are mostly short and funny—a little too much bathroom humor for my taste, but Tank Girl is still pretty awesome.
Lindsay
Dec 05, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, titan-books
Illustrations are beautiful, story line... not anywhere near as good as the older Tank Girl comics.
Nicole
Nov 20, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, but the first half felt out of touch.. The action and dialogue livens up in the second half of the book and you start to feel like Tank Girl has come back.
Darian
Nov 29, 2013 Darian rated it it was ok
Disappointing.

The toilet humour (of which there is aplenty) is lame.

Ashley Wood does nice covers, but he sucks at interiors and rendering action. Perhaps if he used a few more colours instead of a monochromatic approach, it might improve the visual clarity of the panels. As it is, it's a mess; that's true here, and it's true also of Zombies vs Robots.

Can't believe I made it through the whole volume, but then again I skipped plenty of pages. It's a steaming pile of sh*te (with only a few hidden
So it’s completely psychotic, so what? It requires ridiculously long set-ups for the most retarded jokes, and it’s all done with a certain flair and disregard for the human race. A lovely blend of satire, ultra-violence, semi-nudity and humor borne of elementary school play yards.
Furu
Aug 13, 2007 Furu rated it it was amazing
I was weary of this new Tank Girl incarnation, but I like Ashley Wood's style, and it's nice that Jamie Hewlett had to be replaced, he was replaced with a talented lady! Pretty awesome!
Tomas
May 17, 2015 Tomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
osom
Tara Heilman
Tara Heilman rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Edd Macdonald
Edd Macdonald rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2017
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Kavisha
Kavisha rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Jessica Morris
Jessica Morris rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Bex
Bex rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Brittani Cormany
Brittani Cormany rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Nohbody
Nohbody rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Samuel
Samuel rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Clare Bear
Clare Bear rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Joe Chouinard
Joe Chouinard rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2010
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Medusa Jones
  • Uncle
  • Heroes: Volume One
  • The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • Itty Bitty Hellboy
  • Emily the Strange: Rock Issue (Dark Horse Comics Series 1, Issue #4 - The Rock Issue)
  • The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon
  • Captain Freedom
  • Tales from the Clerks: The Complete Collection of Comic Stories!
  • 1872
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Justice League of America, Vol. 1: The Tornado's Path
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Heavenly Nostrils, #3)
More about Alan C. Martin...

Tank Girl (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Tank Girl The Collection
  • The Hole of Tank Girl
  • Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1)
  • Tank Girl 2 (Tank Girl, #2)
  • Tank Girl 3 (Tank Girl, #3)
  • Tank Girl: The Odyssey
  • Tank Girl: Apocalypse
  • Tank Girl: Visions of Booga
  • Tank Girl: Dark Nuggets
  • Tank Girl: Skidmarks

“4 million volts course like lovers through her body. Eerie rays eliminate from bulbous cathodes to caress her skin penetrating deep. Also somewhat like lovers, actually. Chemicals so secret they don't even have names and bubbles and spurts in her vein.” 5 likes