Start by marking “Ghosts of Guatemala” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of Guatemala

Ghosts of Guatemala

Who can you trust when corruption and danger are a way of life?

The CIA never left Latin America, and is facing catastrophic blackmail at the hands of an erratic Guatemalan drug lord: the infamous patrón of Antigua – Pablo Puentes. Desperate for a swift solution, the agency calls in their black operative fixer: John Carpenter.

John is a cold-blooded professional ready for th
Published November 24th 2019 by NIMA

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Guatemala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Guatemala

Start your review of Ghosts of Guatemala
Stephen Millar
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written page turner. Very good debut novel
Rob Plevin
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghosts of Guatemala Glavac has some truly cinematic scenes, complete with gut wrenching violence and tense and snappy dialogue. Dialogue is probably Glavac’s best writing trait. He jumps around a bit at the beginning which was a bit confusing but once I got a handle on the characters it was great. Those last thirty pages or so just fly by with all the action! And the confession scene gave me chills…
Michael Treacy
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable story that interweaves CIA operations, the drug trade, Guatemalan politics, religion, and local culture into a riveting narrative. Glavac has interesting takes on some of the big issues that have affected political relationships and local cultures. He spends time setting up characters and events and then takes you for a thrill ride with a tale that really moves. I’m already looking forward to more!
Lewis Whiteley
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Glavac is Gripping

This book is exactly what you want out of a spy thriller: exciting violence, tense intrigue, and enough twists to keep even the most astute reader on their toes.

Ghosts of Guatemala, much like it's protagonist John Carpenter, is focused. No time is wasted on pointless asides or flowery rambling. It moves from beat to beat without hesitation, and with an excellent balance between action and tension that keeps the reader abate without wearing them down. Glavac examines questions o
Danielle Bourassa-Young
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic page-turner. Although the author's debut novel, it's written well, has a historical twist, and filled my air travel very well. It even distracted me from the turbulence until I finished my chapter. Any thriller/mystery buff will love it! ...more
Becca Heath
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story! I helped copy edit “Ghosts of Guatemala” for publication, and the story kept me hooked every step of the way. Great characters, an intriguing plot, and you end up learning a lot about Guatemala itself!
Michele Brooker
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spent the weekend in Antigua, Guatemala immersed in the dangerous world of the CIA and Latin American drug cartels. Quite a complicated plot and I had to re-read bits to make sure I was understanding it, but this was a cracking, fast paced narrative with an explosive ending. Its the first in a trilogy featuring CIA agent John Carpenter. Had a job getting past the fact that it was Antigua Guatemala, not Antigua West Indies, but got over that... Seriously, I enjoyed it when I didn't expect to. ...more
Robert Buchkowski
The thing I like about spy novels is the easy reading and addicting narrative. This book has that in spades and I read most of the book in just a few weeks. I am generally not a big fan of spy-thrillers, but the characters were deeper and more interesting than I expected. I'm usually a historical fiction/ non-fiction reader, so I'd have liked even more development of the history and issues arising from it--even if I get that is not the point. I’d also say this book is a safe bet for people like ...more
Henry Lotin
Remarkable debut novel that takes the reader into the murky world of espionage in an exotic mysterious locale. Evoking LeCarre, the plot thickens and suspense builds as we ponder alliances, morals and loyalties to determine good guys from bad. Worth the read.
Kate Bishop
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The CIA. Drug cartels in Guatemala. A ruthless killing. Is this a Jack Ryan novel? Le Carré? An episode of Narcos?
Collin Glavac's first novel, "Ghosts of Guatemala" starts out as a conventional thriller, but goes in much more interesting directions than the usual formula. One gets a vivid sense of Guatemala as a place, its poverty and politics. And did you know there is a Mayan-Catholic religion there? I was hooked by the story immediately and enjoyed the interplay between the CIA agents. I par
Peter M. Celestina
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Collin did a great job with his first novel. I primarily read this gendre of books and Ghosts of Guatemala falls easily in the category of the other authors. I looked forward to reading the book in the evening when I normally read to relax. Look forward to the next book in the series.
Louis Castrogiovanni
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A suspenseful and exciting read as well as an education on Central America.
Carl Brookins
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Here is a terrific idea with some interesting characters in imperfectly realized circumstances. The novel begins with a bang, the attempted assassination of a Guatemalan drug czar. The scene is potent, rife with tension and murderous action. Unfortunately, although the assassination is successful, the assassin also dies in the attempt.

We then switch to scenes of dissention, corruption, loss of confidence and general incompetence in an important US government agency, the Central Intelligence Agen
Mathew Mosher
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was just what I was looking for - fast paced with characters that I wanted to know more about. Colin has quickly developed a protagonist that you want to see in another book. I have traveled to Guatemala and specifically Antigua many times. During the read I could authenticate and when necessary imagine the scene for this story. The pace was consistent with a nice amount of cultural education seamlessly linked to the characters. This added depth and interest while not distracting from the T ...more
E.A. Briginshaw
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
With so many characters introduced at the start of the book, I initially found it a little confusing, but the story became more engaging after that. It is very well written, especially for a first-time author.
Jess
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable thrill ride. Excellent writing and character development. Kept me turning page after page to see what would happen next. Very excited to read the next instalment and learn what is next on John’s journey.
Christine
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, tensely written book about corruption, cartels and the CIA's shadow involvement in all things Latin American. ...more
Nancy Foster
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to give kudos to the person that assisted the author for giving him inside information about Guatemala to make his story as realistic as possible.

Forget James Bond, ignore the glamour and cool gadgets in Mission Impossible, chances are real spies are not going to be Kate Beckinsale dressed in skintight leather while she drives around in a Ferrari. In reality, spy agencies want to recruit people with a certain charm that can lure people in, but be physically unremarkable so that
Karen
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow talk about espionage, betrayal and secret agencies that work within their own rules! I loved this story and would love to read more. Its packed with action, betrayal, secretes and danger at every turn.

“In 1954, the democratically elected government of Guatemala was overthrown by the CIA.
More than 200,000 people were killed over the course of the 36-year-long civil war that began in 1960 and ended with the peace accords in 1996. About 83 percent of those killed were Mayan.”
1999 report writ
Jay Williams
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Our country has a shameful history in Guatemala. This story uses the continuing presence of CIA operatives in the country to tell a story of treachery and greed. The action is entirely consistent with our actions to support the wrong people. It begins with the death of an American assassin who was betrayed by his own people. The writing is taut and carries the action without getting too gory. The characters are well-defined and consistent. The tension is increased by the eruption of a volcano as ...more
Danielle Waugh
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have know Collin for over 10 years, so when I saw he had written a book I was not surprised. Collin has always been so intelligent and creative. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and *hope* this isn’t the last I see of this story, or Collin’s writing.

Bravo Collin, I’m so proud of you!
Maria Logan-Montgomery
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was invited by the publisher to read Ghosts of Guatemala, the debut novel by Collin Glavac, in exchange for an honest review. Ghosts is the first book of a trilogy. After a somewhat slow start, the action begins, and the story is realistic and entertaining.

Would a drug lord be so brazen as to attempt to blackmail a CIA agent? You bet he would. “The Company” sends their best covert operative, John Carpenter to work with another agent already undercover inside the cartel.

John navigates the comp
Linda Thompson
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It started with a dynamite prologue that gave an indication of what’s coming. Once you delve into the story you’ll find yourself captivated not only by the characters and the story, but by the writing and the depth of the story. This is not just your everyday thriller. Glavac’s use of word, description of characters, and how he weaves this story together to the conclusion is amazing. I loved this story and the characters, and I absolutely could not put it down until ...more
Douglas Williamson
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It is a mission like many he has done before, and yet something is different here. Our hero doesn't know who he can trust, even on his own side.

This is an action thriller story. The story is very well written and captivating, drawing you in from the start and never letting go. Both the characters and the plot are well developed and yet I never felt lost as I worked my way through the twists and turns of the story. I really liked our hero and watching him work his way through the puzzle that was
Kendall Brooks
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A riveting crime thriller. The CIA on a mission in Latin America, corruption...drug lords...can anyone be trusted?! A book that is gritty and realistic, that paints the Voldemort hard realities of the machinations of the CIA in Latin America and the philosophy that the ends justify the means....but who gets damaged in the process??!
A well written, gripping read.
Robert Bradshaw
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read and highly recommended for fans of anything spy or government espionage related. Glavac has a great sense of pacing, and for his debut novel has woven an action packed tale with believable characters and intriguing themes.
Tyler Faz
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great opening novel for Glavac. The witty dialogue and cut throat action pushed along an intriguing storyline that kept me turning the pages.
Corrie Foord
Dec 18, 2019
Debbie
Mar 27, 2020
Jennifer Enns
Dec 13, 2019

• Six-Gun (Royal Bastards MC: Sacramento #2)
  • A Year in the Life of Leah Brand
  • Nightflyers
  • The Black Freighter: A Caribbean Spy Thriller
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • The Other Woman
  • Papa Noel (Royal Bastards MC: Tonopah, NV #5)
  • A Ruthless Christmas (Ruthless Kings MC, #8.5)
  • Deadly Lies (Se7en Deadly SEALs serial, #10-12; Deadly SEALs, #4)
  • Viper's Vixen: Off-Limits Obsession, His Vixen (Dublin Falls' Archangel's Warriors MC, #7)
  • Leather and Chrome (Royal Bastards MC: Detroit, MI, #2)
  • Unbreak Me (Royal Bastards MC: Savannah, GA, #2)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Morning Star (Red Rising Saga, #3)
  • The Keepers: The Gamma Sequence Book 4
  • A Favor For a Favor
  • Redemption: Joker and Daisy (Serpents MC Las Vegas #4)
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)

News & Interviews