Start by marking “Ghosts of Guatemala” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of Guatemala

Ghosts of Guatemala

Who can you trust when corruption and danger are a way of life?

The CIA never left Latin America, and is facing catastrophic blackmail at the hands of an erratic Guatemalan drug lord: the infamous patrón of Antigua – Pablo Puentes. Desperate for a swift solution, the agency calls in their black operative fixer: John Carpenter.

John is a cold-blooded professional ready for
Published November 24th 2019 by NIMA

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Guatemala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Guatemala

Start your review of Ghosts of Guatemala
Stephen Millar
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written page turner. Very good debut novel
Rob Plevin
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghosts of Guatemala Glavac has some truly cinematic scenes, complete with gut wrenching violence and tense and snappy dialogue. Dialogue is probably Glavac’s best writing trait. He jumps around a bit at the beginning which was a bit confusing but once I got a handle on the characters it was great. Those last thirty pages or so just fly by with all the action! And the confession scene gave me chills…
Michael Treacy
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable story that interweaves CIA operations, the drug trade, Guatemalan politics, religion, and local culture into a riveting narrative. Glavac has interesting takes on some of the big issues that have affected political relationships and local cultures. He spends time setting up characters and events and then takes you for a thrill ride with a tale that really moves. I’m already looking forward to more!
Michele Brooker
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spent the weekend in Antigua, Guatemala immersed in the dangerous world of the CIA and Latin American drug cartels. Quite a complicated plot and I had to re-read bits to make sure I was understanding it, but this was a cracking, fast paced narrative with an explosive ending. Its the first in a trilogy featuring CIA agent John Carpenter. Had a job getting past the fact that it was Antigua Guatemala, not Antigua West Indies, but got over that... Seriously, I enjoyed it when I didn't expect to.
Lewis Whiteley
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Glavac is Gripping

This book is exactly what you want out of a spy thriller: exciting violence, tense intrigue, and enough twists to keep even the most astute reader on their toes.

Ghosts of Guatemala, much like it's protagonist John Carpenter, is focused. No time is wasted on pointless asides or flowery rambling. It moves from beat to beat without hesitation, and with an excellent balance between action and tension that keeps the reader abate without wearing them down. Glavac examines questions
Danielle Bourassa-Young
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic page-turner. Although the author's debut novel, it's written well, has a historical twist, and filled my air travel very well. It even distracted me from the turbulence until I finished my chapter. Any thriller/mystery buff will love it!
Becca Heath
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story! I helped copy edit “Ghosts of Guatemala” for publication, and the story kept me hooked every step of the way. Great characters, an intriguing plot, and you end up learning a lot about Guatemala itself!
Nancy Foster
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to give kudos to the person that assisted the author for giving him inside information about Guatemala to make his story as realistic as possible.

Forget James Bond, ignore the glamour and cool gadgets in Mission Impossible, chances are real spies are not going to be Kate Beckinsale dressed in skintight leather while she drives around in a Ferrari. In reality, spy agencies want to recruit people with a certain charm that can lure people in, but be physically unremarkable so that
Mathew Mosher
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was just what I was looking for - fast paced with characters that I wanted to know more about. Colin has quickly developed a protagonist that you want to see in another book. I have traveled to Guatemala and specifically Antigua many times. During the read I could authenticate and when necessary imagine the scene for this story. The pace was consistent with a nice amount of cultural education seamlessly linked to the characters. This added depth and interest while not distracting from the ...more
Christine
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, tensely written book about corruption, cartels and the CIA's shadow involvement in all things Latin American.
Jess
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable thrill ride. Excellent writing and character development. Kept me turning page after page to see what would happen next. Very excited to read the next instalment and learn what is next on John’s journey.
Corrie Foord
Dec 08, 2019
sue aime
Dec 28, 2019
Collin Glavac
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marjan Glavac
Amanda
Feb 14, 2020
Gail Fogarty
Feb 21, 2020

• Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • The Other Woman
  • Oh! Canada? The Departure
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Morning Star (Red Rising Saga, #3)
  • MIND: Two Short Tales of Horror
  • Extreme Medical Services Box Set Vol 1-3: Medical Care of the Fringes of Humanity
  • Extreme Medical Services Box Set Vol 4 - 6: The Saga of Supernatural Paramedic Dean Flynn Continues
  • A Shattering of Glass (The Riven Realm #3)
  • Gods Behaving Badly
  • Instructions for a Heatwave
  • Bracing For the Storm (Coastal Defender #1)
  • Last Secret Keystone: A Historical Mystery Thriller
  • A Pirate Looks at Forty (Jake Sullivan Series, #4)
  • Havana Daydreamin' (Jake Sullivan Series, #3)
  • One Particular Harbour (Jake Sullivan Series, #5)
  • The Paramedic's Witch (Extreme Medical Services #5)
  • The Magdalene Conspiracy: The Apostle Jesus Loved (First book in the Nicolina Fabiani series) Revised Edition