Start by marking “A Doll For Navidades” as Want to Read:
A Doll For Navidades

A Doll For Navidades

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Renowned Puerto Rican author Esmeralda Santiago remembers a poignant Christmas from her childhood in this heartwarming story of giving and understanding.

Las Navidades are coming. The house smells of cinnamon and coconut, crepe paper festoons the yard, and best of all, the Three Magi will soon bring presents to all the children. Esmeralda hopes they will bring her a baby do
Published October 1st 2005 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about A Doll For Navidades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Doll For Navidades

Lisa Vegan
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
So, the illustrations get 5 stars from me, including the two (front and back) cover pictures. Lush and colorful and evocative; they’re lovely. I love all the details.

I found the story enjoyable overall, but it is hard for me to rate as it is based on the author’s and her sister’s actual experience when they were 7 and 5. How can I argue with that?! This is basically a true story. But I found myself arguing with it. (view spoiler)
Emelda
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
So, any excuse to use what little Spanish I absorbed as a child I try to take. And I totally throw a Three Kings' Day party every year, so I grabbed this book quickly. This should have been a great way to start a conversation about how people celebrate Christmas different ways (and talk about Puerto Rico!). But I wouldn't read it to my kids because of one reason: the object of affection is this super white, blonde haired, and blue eyed baby doll and I'm super bothered by the white euro-centric s ...more
Josianne Fitzgerald
The illustrations are beautiful and the depiction of Navidades reminds me of my own Caribbean Christmases, but the story doesn't resolve in a satisfying manner. Lots of beautiful build up and then it falls a little flat.
Kristin
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book to include for diversity text sets. Includes Sspanish and English words, with a Spanish glossary. The beginning of the book starts off with a baby doll with blue eyes, reminding me of Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye.
Yulidy Decena
This is good to help children learn to be grateful for what (santa) or the 3 wise man bring you. Loved the story because she didn't get what she wanted and that is how it is sometimes.
Adela Bider
Iris
Aug 31, 2012
Narmin
Feb 06, 2017
Esmeralda Santiago (born 1948 in San Juan, Puerto Rico). Is a renowned Puerto Rican author In 1961, she came to the United States when she was thirteen years old, the eldest in a family that would eventually include eleven children. Ms. Santiago attended New York City's Performing Arts High School, where she majored in drama and dance. After eight years of part-time study at community colleges, sh ...more
More about Esmeralda Santiago...