Start by marking “Cheater's Game” as Want to Read:
Cheater's Game

Cheater's Game

(Jake Lassiter #13)

Jake Lassiter Tackles the College Admissions Scandal

Rich parents will pay anything to get their kids into college...

Kip Lassiter can get you a perfect score on any test...

And Kip's heartbroken uncle Jake must defend an unwinnable case.

CHEATER'S GAME dives deep into the true-to-life college admissions scandal with an explosive federal trial that rocks the courthouse.

Suffer
Published April 20th 2020 by Herald Square Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cheater's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheater's Game

Start your review of Cheater's Game
Kathi Defranc
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Timely Read As Jake Lassiter Faces Off With A Shyster Who Heads An Admission Scheme For College

Another fantastic story with my favorite lawyer, the fun,always thinking Jake Lassiter. I have enjoyed this author's series often over the years and he doesn't miss a beat in this intriguing case! The nephew Jake raised when his sister dropped him off years ago has become a 20 year old. He is very intelligent but seems quite naive when dealing with people daily. Somehow he has taken the words of an
Rebecca
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some authors lose their edge as they write about the same character over many years., but not Paul Levine. I've enjoyed every one of his Lassiter books, and was delighted when I saw there was a new one in the series.

Cheater's Game proved to be just as well-written, exciting, humorous, and intriguing as the other Lassiter books. Levine writes a tight story and is a master of word usage. He packs a lot into every paragraph and keeps the action flowing.

A former Miami Dolphin, Jake is suffering from
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
CHEATER’S GAME is a welcome surprise. I wasn’t entirely sure that there was going to be another Paul Levine novel, particularly one featuring defense attorney extraordinaire Jake Lassiter. Yet here we are, and it turns out to be one of the best installments in this long-running series. Readers of these books are aware that Levine is incapable of writing badly, but this latest entry turns things up a notch by putting literally everything on the line for Lassiter.

One of the reasons that I always r
Ben
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read and enjoyed most of Mr. Levine’s books but never so much his most recent , “Cheater’s Game.” I recommend it without reservation to anyone who likes a taut, suspenseful courtroom drama.
The story is drawn from recent headlines in which wealthy parents used a college preparatory company’s scheme to get their less than super achieving children into prestigious universities. That was done, you recall, by bribing admissions officers, faking the applicant’s credentials and qualifications ,
Jenny
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, usa, legal
Cheater's Game is book thirteen in the Jake Lassiter series by Paul Levine. Kip Lassiter though he had the perfect job until he was pushed off the side road by another car and ended up in the hospital and arrested for fraud and other federal charges. Kip's Uncle, who Jake no longer stand up in court, took on the case to free his nephew. The readers of Cheater's Game will continue to follow Jake and Kip to find out what happens.

Cheater's Game was the first book I read of Paul Levine, and I enjoy
Nick Stika
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh how I've missed Jake Lassiter. Loved this story. A flawed hero everyone can cheer for.
Eddie Tucker
May 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is no way that Jake Lassiter is believable as a successful attorney. I stopped at less than a third of the way through. The story's focus, a nephew taking a wrong path, is a yawn. Lassiter's self-blame about the kid's bad choices is a bore and silly. The narrative repeatedly has his wife thinking of her husband as wonderful, big, strapping, loving and perfect in every way. Not once, but all the time. Gave up on this guy.
Rob Cohen
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable, glad to see Jake back in action. A compelling and layered read tackling an interesting and current issue. It was tough to see Jake's physical issues on display and I am certainly concerned for his future. But with Melissa and Kip with him, it seems like he has all that he needs.
Hobart
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
★ ★ ★ ★
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
When it comes to my conduct in trials, I have only two rules. I won’t lie to the court or let a witness do it. Other than that, batten the hatches, because I sail straight into storms.

Bolden spent a few more minutes talking about the judge’s wise instructions and the jurors’grave responsibilities, then thanked them all and sat down.

I got to my feet, nodded to the judge, buttoned my suit coat, smiled warmly, and said my six favorite
Kent Winward
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jake Lassiter, my guilty pleasure.
Beth Birnbaum
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's been a horrible summer so far, coming after an equally horrible spring. I'm in Queens, NY, where everything COVID hit first, and the sound of ambulances racing by was constant. We may be relatively quiet now, but much of the rest of the nation is going through what we did. One of my daughters has recovered from the virus, but has lost friends.
So when a new Paul Levine book came out, it's an even greater thrill than usual! A few hours off from thinking about our current situation is a mini-
John McKenna
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Levine is at the top of his form in Cheater’s Game—his fourteenth Lassiter novel—which covers the timeliest of subjects in this period of such income disparity . . . the ability of the haves to purchase what the have-nots can only dream about. In this case, it’s admission into the country’s most prestigious and elite universities.
As the novel begins the brain-damaged ex-pro football player, Jake Lassiter, has quit trial lawyering and taken a job with the Florida Bar Association, going after
Shomeret
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheater's Game by Paul Levine is the third book I've read in the Jake Lassiter series of legal mysteries and thrillers. I gratefully received an ARC of Cheater's Game from publicist Wiley Saichek.

In Jake's defense of his nephew Kip, he brings forward some issues that will cause readers to think about justice, and whether juries should consider fairness. If the law is enforced unfairly, how can that be redressed? We have laws about various types of discrimination, but there are other forms of unf
Ann
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

Suffering brain damage from his football injuries, Miami lawyer Jake Lassiter says goodbye to the courtroom...until his nephew Kip desperately needs his help. Kip has been working for millionaire Max Ringle in a shady scheme to help rich, entitled kids gain admission to elite universities.

Ringle, the mastermind of the fraud, shifts the blame to Kip who's charged wi
Debra Kay Gerik
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the twists and turns.

Jake Lassiter retired defense attorney, now prosecuting fellow lawyers for the Florida bar ends up defending his nephew in Federal court. Tough judge, tough prosecution, willing to go to any lengths to obtain a guilty verdict against someone (a kid) who refused to cooperate in gutting his boss. Underhanded tactics by a powerful government entity of flesh eaters combatted by good old integrity and care about what's truly right and wrong. In this shark eat shark world th
D. Jane Akins
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Jake Lassiter books.

Paul Levine is an excellent writer and his books are well edited. That’s a winner right there for me. It’s hard to read about his brain damage from concussions playing football because I have a grandson whose favorite sport is playing football. In this book, additional stress is put on Jake because he’s defending his nephew who he’s raised as his son. He’s engaged to the doctor who’s treating him for the brain damage. His courtroom antics are legendary but he’s
Thomas Begley
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

What started as an enjoyable but somewhat lighthearted series has developed into a remarkable set of stories. As the years have progressed there has been increased depth to the writing and the characters. The handling of CTE has been so poignant it pulls at the heartstrings in a sincere manner enhancing the reader’s connection with the main character. After so many books in a series, it might be expected that a character would be wearing out or becoming too routine. Yet Paul Levine has
Thomas R.
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story, ripped from today s headlines. A major College Cheating scandal, where Rich people cheated to have their kids get into some of the most prestigious schools in America. The book also illustrates how the Rich and powerful are above the law and how the Federal Government can indict anyone by stretching the law. For example their isn't a Federal Law for cheating to get into a College. So the Government uses the Mail Fraud Statute to arrest people. Sadly this story illustrates ...more
Susan Pratt
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I have read one of his books and I have to say, I love his sense of humor. I laughed out loud more than once while reading this book. Good, easy read. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I honestly think they needed to make his girlfriend, Melissa a little more REAL. She was a little too perfect. She never has a doubt about Jake, she works all day at an amazing job yet she is always home to cook a perfect dinner/drink for her and Jake and a vegetarian dinner for his nep ...more
Laura Stokes
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jake is aging, Kip is maturing and Melissa is the balancing force

Everyone and everything is changing in the Lassiter family. I did not like that Doc Riggs and Granny Lassiter are no longer in the storyline. I missed their advice and wit! I hope there will be more Jake Lassiter stories.
Richard Miller
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another 5 Star Rating- You betcha!

Cheater’s Game takes us on a fictional journey into a topic that has been national news. Examining many of the legal aspects of the admissions scandal makes extremely interesting reading. Levin’s delightful characters are at their best (or sometimes worst) in keeping the story moving rapidly. I enjoyed every minute.
Andrew
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome back Jake Lassiter! We missed you.

Paul Levine is a great storyteller. His courtroom knowledge and experience make Cheaters Game more fun than the real thing. Another win and must read from Paul and Jake.
Jo Anne
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I Am a Lassiter Fan

First time reader of Lassiter series. Thoroughly enjoyed writing style, serious story with great humor. A very good courtroom drama. I will now start with the first books or the series. Definitely recommend.
Vivek Joshi
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book in the Lassiter series; full of emotions as well as unexpected twists and turns. The way in which this book has panned out, it seems that Paul Levine has written the last of Jake Lassiter series! Will surely miss daredevilry & court room antics of Jacob Lassiter!! ...more
Linda
Jun 06, 2020 added it
Terrific. Funny but covers two serious topics in novel form. The main character has CTE, he's a lawyer and he defends his nephew in the college cheating scandal. I recommend it. Intricate without being bogged down by too many technicalities--just enough to be a little more than light reading.
Sandy
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a page turner. I realize a series must move forward but I missed Granny and Doc Charlie. I felt sympathy for Jake and his deteriorating condition, but his trial presence was as usual impressive. This was the end, I assume, of the Lassiter series and I enjoyed each one.
Steven Blais
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Good as always with Paul Levine and Jake Lassiter, but the book did seem a little tired, perhaps reflecting the age of the protagonist. Hopefully there will be more to come and Jake will take action again.
Jerry Esterbrook
Absolutely fantastic

This book is going to capture you from the first few pages and control your life until the last page. I recommend this book to all readers who enjoy beginning and ending content and questioning of one's own choices of right and wrong opinions and judgement.
Nancy Simmons
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! My first book by Paul Levine, but it won’t be my last. I simply read until I finished it. It kept me enthralled until the last page.
Doug Abbott
A thrill a minute!

This is real interesting read after the very real College Admissions Scandal. The tempo is very fast and the page turning just as quick.

• Lethal Defense (Nate Shepherd Legal Thriller Series Book 1)
  • Mob Lawyer: A Legal Thriller
  • True Intent (Nate Shephard Legal Thriller Book 2)
  • The Dreamer (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery #11)
  • Deadly Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 4)
  • The Guilty Die Twice: A Legal Thriller
  • Judge and Jury (Daniel Pike Legal Thriller Series Book 5)
  • Mob Lawyer 2: A Legal Thriller
  • The District Attorney (Lettie Portman, #1)
  • The Ninth Inning (Miami Jones #13)
  • Stolen Power (Jack Valentine Book 2)
  • The Post Office (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thrillers #14)
  • I Swear To Tell (Cadence Elliott Legal Thriller Series Book 1)
  • The Unlikely Spy
  • Lethal Innocence (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers Book 7)
  • The Debriefing
  • Imminent Harm (Cass Leary Legal Thriller Series Book 6)
  • Twisted Justice (Daniel Pike Legal Thriller Series Book 4)
NEW: Jake Lassiter tackles the college admissions scandal in CHEATER'S GAME, Paul Levine's latest legal thriller.

"Clever, funny and seriously on point when it comes to the inequities of society and the justice system, CHEATER'S GAME is top-notch stuff from Paul Levine. His Jake Lassiter is my kind of lawyer!" - Michael Connelly

CHEATER'S GAME is a stand-alone entry in the Jake Lassiter series.

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter #1)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)

News & Interviews

“As much as we prize our commitment to the individual and pay lip service to the presumption of innocence, it’s the government’s courthouse, the government’s prosecutor, and the government’s judge. Every time you go to trial, you are the Miami Dolphins playing an away game against the Patriots in a January blizzard.” 0 likes
“In a society without shame, where faking it is making it and deceit trumps virtue, integrity is for losers and cheaters win. Fairness? Forget about it! A meritocracy? In your dreams! Earn your diploma? Why bother, when you can buy it?” 0 likes