Start by marking “Butchers” as Want to Read:
Butchers

Butchers

Kidnapped, turned, and locked away in a concrete basement, high school student Sey-Mi is taught the ways of the damned. Her captors, beautiful and malignant, cruel and insane, torture her until she pledges allegiance to the Gwanlyo, a secret organization of vampires now obsessed with bringing her into their ranks.

Enter Cheol Yu and Hyeri, rogue members who want to liberate
Published November 21st 2019 by Nightmare Press

To ask other readers questions about Butchers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butchers

Start your review of Butchers
Well Read Beard
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books

Butchers drops you into a fully developed vampiric society in South Korea. For me, it felt like there is a grander world here, but I was only getting the opportunity to experience a very small part of it. This novella represents a single story from this vast world. This was my first experience with Todd, I enjoyed his style and flare for story-telling.

Yes, I am on record stating that I am not a big fan of vampire fiction. That being said, the novella format, the quick chapters, Todd's t
Maggie Herrera ☾ (Witching Reads)
3.5

A short and bloody novella about secret societies, vampires gone rogue and vengeance. Sullivan manages to create a bond between the reader and characters in such a small amount of time, never slowing down, always prepared with a bloody surprise around the corner. We experience the different sides to the vampires, from the ruthless, to the sexy and the vengeful.

I do wish this novel was a little longer (a good thing) for I enjoyed my time in this world and crave more. It is an amazing concept t
Bookmark Beth
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
My initial reaction: How did Todd create so much of a story within 83 pages?!

This gruesome, dark story about a secret society of vampires who select and capture humans to transform into one of their own to do their bidding is spellbinding, fast-paced, and downright terrifying—with a little humor to boot.

This novella is described as “extreme horror” and I can attest to it. It definitely makes you shift uncomfortably with its relentless continuation of bizarre events that leave you wanting more.
Amanda
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

A secret vampire organization, extreme violence, and a tense, fast-paced story, BUTCHERS by Todd Sullivan is a deliciously wicked novella.

Set in Seoul, South Korea, the story unfolds in a brief 80 pages. Sullivan does not waste a single word - each page is jam-packed with action. In such a brief time, he’s created characters as vibrant as his prose.

I especially loved his female characters. Maniacal Hyeri, who just wants to drink blood and watch the world burn, and Sey-Mi, who maintains her wits
Jamie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
When it comes to vampire stories, BUTCHERS has a unique premise. It’s one of the things that first caught my interest, aside from the eye-catching cover art. Reading this book was a new experience to me in several ways. I think that it’s the first horror story I’ve read about Asian characters; I’m aware of quite a few Asian horror films, but can’t say that I’ve been exposed to many of these stories within literature before. This particular tale is set in South Korea, and I enjoyed the snippets i ...more
Brennan LaFaro
Butchers, by Todd Sullivan is primarily the story of Sey-Mi, a young woman who is chosen to be turned into a vampire and brought into the ranks of the Gwanlyo, a secret vampire society. The story revolves around Sey-Mi's initiation, learning curve, and torture at the hands of current members. There are also elements within the order attempting to police it and others trying to bring it down.

From the word go, it is clear that Sullivan has spent a great deal of time in the far east(he is, in fact
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sey-Mi is offered employment with the Gwanlyo or death, not much of a choice if you ask me. The reader is not given much information about what the Gwanlyo does besides turning humans into vampires against their will and using them to police other vampires using fear and torture. The author uses the novella format to trim all wasted words away, leaving only the action, throwing you from one scene to the next with little time to acclimate. This keeps you on edge, which helps you feel as off cente ...more
Angie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read my full review at: https://mediadrome.wordpress.com/2020...

Sullivan has built an interesting world filled with vampires that aren’t quite like the vampires I’ve seen up til now. I really, really enjoyed it.
Joe Scipione
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon to horrorbound.net but I really dig this book.
Shane Blackheart
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I dived into this book with certain expectations, as I'm a huge fan of vampire fiction, and I was pleasantly surprised at the unique take the author had on them. This was a wild ride full of gore, grossness, and vampires who are truly immortal and equally immoral. (This review will not be completely spoiler-free.)

The story begins with an intense fight between vampire members of an organization called Gwanlyo. The rules are strict for them and meant to keep vampires in place -- existing among hum
Becca
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Todd Sullivan for providing me with a copy of Butchers in exchange for an honest review!

Trigger Warnings: Rape, Violence, Gore. Butchers is considered extreme horror -- so there's a lot of extreme content.

I guess I didn't 100% know what I was signing up for by reading Butchers; extreme horror and I apparently aren't as good of pals as I originally thought. Who knew? But even with my lack of extreme horror love, I still found myself wanting to flip pages. Each character was written
Cristina Isabel
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical run-of-the-mill vampire novella. It gets quick into action and doesn't disappoint. In a world where vampires exist so do rules. Rules that must be obeyed and if they aren't, then you have to deal with the Natural Police, an order within the organization known as Gwanlyo. Min Gun is part of the Natural Police and is known for "butchering" vampires who get out of line. His current mission is to hunt one of their own named Cheol Yu. But things get complicated when Sey-Mi, a ...more
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is an extreme horror vampire novella. The book centers around vampire society in South Korea called Gwanylo. In this world, there are two opposing groups of vampires; those that want to rule and those that want to remain hidden. That aspect of this story reminded me of the Death Eaters from Harry Potter. These factions of the vampire world are constantly battling each other and the reader is dropped immediately into this battle right from the beginning of the book.

Sey-Mi is a character that
Gloria
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in the urban city of Seoul, South Korea, Butchers lives up to it's harsh and violent name. Following Sey-Mi as her life is thrown into disarray Sullivan weaves a tale of brutality, power, and control. A seventeen year old girl chosen to join the ranks of the Gwanlyo, an ancient vampiric organisation that expects compliance to their rules and will employ the harshest of punishments for anyone foolish enough to cross them, fights to see her family again.

Sey-Mi is dragged into an immortal life
Diversity Horror
Not for me.

I was expecting lots of gore going into this story, what I didn’t expect was all the sexual violence. Against an underage girl no less! Rape can serve a narrative purpose when handled well (which this was not) but here it just felt exploitative, unnecessary, and gross. It bugged be that the only two female characters were sexually assaulted, and both were teenage girls who were described in a sexualized manner.

I don’t mind splatterpunk or extreme horror, but books that enjoy sexuall
Tonya
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great story. Giving four stars only because my brain had a hard time trying to pronounce the characters names...which is another reason it took me a couple of days to read this. I would absolutely recommend that you read this especially if vampires are your thing. I will say this much....it gets a little graphic. Thanks for a great read. Looking forward to more.
Andretta Schellinger
Mar 19, 2020
D.G. Sutter
Sep 15, 2020
Todd Sullivan
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristen

• Painless
  • Saint Sadist
  • Itzá
  • Carrie
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 10 [Tokyo Guru 10] (Tokyo Ghoul, #10)
  • My Name is Seepeetza
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Food DISHionary (Book 3)
  • The Lovely Wild In Me
Todd Sullivan attended his first serious writing class in 1995 at Stanford University. Between 1997 and 2002, he participated in the National Book Foundation's 10 day summer writing retreats. In 2006, he graduated with a Bachelors in English with Concentrations in Creative Writing from Georgia State University. He moved to New York that same year, and received a Masters of Fine Arts from Queens Co ...more

News & Interviews