Start by marking “Primer” as Want to Read:
Primer

Primer

Primer introduces a brand-new superhero with a colorful array of superpowers to explore.

Ashley Rayburn is an upbeat girl with a decidedly downbeat past. Her father is a known criminal who once used Ashley to help him elude justice, and in his attempt to escape, a life was taken. He now sits in federal prison, but still casts a shadow over Ashley's life. In the meantime, As
Published June 23rd 2020 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Primer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan Go to your closest library and ask a librarian. If they don't already have the book, they can request a copy from another library and have it sent to …moreGo to your closest library and ask a librarian. If they don't already have the book, they can request a copy from another library and have it sent to them so you can borrow it!(less)

Start your review of Primer
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Gah! That was super cute and I loved the art! I borrowed it from the library but I added the paperback to my Amazon wishlist 😃. Here’s some graphics

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG: https://melissa413readsalot.blogspot....
Chad
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ashley has been bouncing from foster family to foster family since her dad went to prison. When she meets her new quirky foster parents things begin to click. He foster dad is an artist like herself and her foster mom is a scientist. When her mom brings her work home, Ashley mistakes it for a present and spills this special paint on her, each color giving her a different power. She secretly becomes Primer and fights crime.

The art was great, reminiscent of a cartoon with bright colors that popped
Drewthereader20
This was really cute and fun graphic novel! Kind of wish there's a second one but I don't think there is!): ...more
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun story, and kept me interested all the way through. Ashley is in foster care, and has been brought into just one more foster family, but they seem to click, and then she finds some cool paints, that turn out to be more than paints, and she gains superpowers from them.

But, in the back of my mind, I think this diminishes how foster care really works. That it would be so easy to fit into this new family, and that Ashley would not have more problems.

But, if you just read it on the surfa
Cadence
"I really liked it. Ashley likes art like me. Her jail dad is scary. I want to read another book about Primer." -Cadee, age 7 ...more
Stay Fetters
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Primer takes a unique spin on being a superhero. Paints that can give you superpowers and a girl kicking ass, I couldn’t ask for more. This was just awesome!
Rory Wilding
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Published as an original graphic novel, Primer tells the story of Ashley Rayburn, an orphan who has been through the foster system since the imprisonment of her criminal father. When she gets another chance to be part of another foster family, Ashley finds a new home with the Nolans: the adult hipster, Kitch, and his more sophisticated wife, Yuka.

Adjusting well in her new family, despite the fear of her father clinging onto her, Ashley discovers a briefcase that is secretly kept by Yuka, who is
Kadi P
This was total perfection! It was funny, it was cute, it was completely and utterly unique. The emotions portrayed weren't hyperbolic or superficial like they usually are when it comes to DC graphic novels.

The graphic novel's only downfall was how short it was, but even then it managed very well. It built up perfectly to a climactic fight and a cliffhanger ending that left me wanting more.

The art was simply sublime. Absolutely beautiful. But I knew it would be. I followed the artist Gretel Lusky
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Rod Brown
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good for a superhero book aimed at the elementary school market. Ashley Rayburn is spunky and creative. Her first adventure is nothing really original, but it is very solid in execution. The only missteps occurred on the last few pages when some emotional moments were rushed, an unlikely status quo was established, and a hideous costume was introduced to replace an already great look for DC's newest hero. I'd gladly pick up a sequel. ...more
Celeste
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so stinking cute. The story, the art style, the relationships, the concept, were all simply adorable. I was captivated and charmed. I would buy this for any child in my life in a heartbeat. But honestly, my adult self enjoyed it immensely.
izzy
cute, but a little flimsy in plot development. i enjoyed the art style.

(my sister got this for xmas and i picked it up on a whim)
Brandon
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Primer is an incredible OGN starring a young middle school girl named Ashley. She's constantly going in and out of the foster system while her father is locked away in prison when she's finally adopted by two loving foster parents who want to encourage her free spirit and love of art. Ashley stumbles upon her scientist foster mother's superpower-giving-body paints, Ashley becomes a superhero of her very own!

It's really such a wonderful and colourful book. Every page is exploding with vibrant col
Shannon Rochester
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Outside of the Archies, I have never really been into comic books/graphic novels. For whatever reason, though, this one called to me the day I was choosing books at Netgalley. I can't say I was disappointed. The storyline was a good one, yet somewhat typical. Ashley is going from foster family to foster family while her Dad is in jail. None of them really stick until she meets her newest family. They s
˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
“Aw dont worry pal. Maybe someday you’ll grow up to be as big and strong as a girl too!” Exactly Ashley!

This was a great read and not only was it great fun but it was also super colorful and cute! Lots of girl power here <3
Amber
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook ARC from the author, DC entertainment publishing and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ashley is a young girl who is stuck in foster care. When she finds some spray paint cans in her foster parents room thinking it's her birthday present, her life changes forever when she obtains Superpowers from them. Now she is being hounded by dark forces. Can she save the world and those she cares about from them? Read on and find out for yourself.

This w
Darla
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This new series from DC Comics ticks all the boxes. Sassy, confident heroine - check. Supportive sidekick -- check. Interesting set of superpowers -- doublecheck. A secure home base -- check. Somewhat dark back story -- check. The presentation does due justice to the narrative. There were chunks of panels in my DRC that were not yet inked in, but less than half. I am intrigued by this new superhero and the use of body paint (only three at a time) which give Primer thousands of different combinat ...more
Lost in Book Land
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Happy Tuesday! (Also called new book day)!

I have been keeping busy reading and playing tons and tons of animal crossing (I recently got super into terrforming and now my island is not only a hot mess but I have a million ideas that all take hours)! I am also slowly getting back into watching some television shows (I kind of stopped watching stuff for a little bit there) but I am currently enjoying season two of Good Girls and really excited to pick up season two of the Politician. Something els
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Primer by Jennifer Muro and Thomas Krajewski, 136 pages, GRAPHIC NOVEL, DC Comics, 2020, $10. 978-1401296575

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Sixteen-year old Ashley Rayburn has been in and out of foster care since her dad is in prison. She seems to have struck gold with the Nolans, especially Mr. Nolan who shares her love of art. Things get interesting when Mrs. Nolan, a scientist, tries to protect the top-secret weapo
Meghan
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from DC Entertainment - DC Comics in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was smiling from ear to ear from reading this book that I could not stop reading. The concept was genius and the plot was so intoxicatingly exciting that a lot of our young readers will be looking to read this book. Ashley is struggling to fit in with her new family and new life but remain upbeat during the process. One day sh
Philip
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
5 stars for the artwork - really nice stuff - and close to 4 for the overall superhero concept. But only 3 for the story, especially the origin part, in that she basically gets her powers by being a sneaky jerk and betraying the trust of the only people that really care for her. Even for a 13-year-old, not cool.

(Like Scottie Young's excellent if really warped series I Hate Fairyland, this was recommended by my son, who works at Barnes & Noble)
Stefanie
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This new DC Comics Kids graphic novel is a masterpiece!! I just adore Primer- she’s a rad artist superhero that so many kids will connect with!! The illustrations are stunning and I can’t wait to add it to my classroom library!
Readingwithnori
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say that this has become of my favorite illustrations because Wow! It’s beautiful. I know this is for a younger age but as an adult I still really enjoyed it.
Victor The Reader
Definitely Colorful. Wild child Ashley, whose father is in jail and with a string of failed foster homes, warms up to her new foster parents and hopes it’ll bring some good in her already rough life. But a big change happens when she snoops in her foster mom’s briefcase and discovers a array of enhanced body paints that let her have practically any type of superpower and when she uses them for her own creativity, she’ll attract some attention that could mean trouble. A fun and solid super-read d ...more
hayes(*☻-☻*)
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
it was super cute 🌈
Reem Kobaisi
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
First book for the reading rush
A BOOK THAT MATCHES MY BIRTHSTONE :
Opal : white with some bright colors ✔
Bianca Escada (planningwithlove)
What a fun read! I loved all the colors and illustrations!

Also, this had a great message. You go Primer!!
Artemis
'Primer' is a drop-dead gorgeous original DC graphic novel for kids. Seriously, the artwork is some of the best I've ever seen in any comic, and the characters are fully realised. It is dynamic, dramatic, hilarious, touching, and it contains explosive paint superhero action.

Seriously.

Ashley Rayburn is a twelve-to-thirteen-year-old foster kid with an upbeat and energetic personality big enough to burst through the pages. There is nothing small about this literally colourful girl. Her criminal fat
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so fun, from the uniqueness of the story to the colorful artwork. I found myself wishing that the comic was much longer. I would love to get to know the characters more in future installments. Not to mention I always loves a parade heroine, and Primer delivered on that front. If you’re looking for a fun superhero comic with a totally fresh take, check this out!
Theresa
I received an ARC through NetGalley from DC Comics. Primer is a cute middle grade superhero graphic novel. The back cover of the ARC lists the main character as 16, but the text describes her as 12 going on 13 and I hope that’s true because this reads young and is perfect for the 10-14 age level. Ashley is in foster care and a new couple has taken her in. Kitch is the cool, artistic dad and Yuka is a scientist who makes the mistake of bringing some super hero abilities home from work. Soon Ashle ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Anti/Hero
  • Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Mañanaland
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • The Women Who Caught The Babies: A Story of African American Midwives
  • The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles, #2)
  • I Kill Giants
  • Lumberjanes #69
  • Junko Tabei Masters the Mountains
  • The Book Rescuer: How a Mensch from Massachusetts Saved Yiddish Literature for Generations to Come
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Cast No Shadow
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7)
  • We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)