Start by marking “Primer” as Want to Read:
Primer

Primer

Primer introduces a brand-new superhero with a colorful array of superpowers to explore.

Ashley Rayburn is an upbeat girl with a decidedly downbeat past. Her father is a known criminal who once used Ashley to help him elude justice, and in his attempt to escape, a life was taken. He now sits in federal prison, but still casts a shadow over Ashley's life. In the meantime,
Expected publication: June 23rd 2020 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Primer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primer

Start your review of Primer
Meghan
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from DC Entertainment - DC Comics in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was smiling from ear to ear from reading this book that I could not stop reading. The concept was genius and the plot was so intoxicatingly exciting that a lot of our young readers will be looking to read this book. Ashley is struggling to fit in with her new family and new life but remain upbeat during the process. One day
I received an ARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Bad guys beware, the world's newest superhero is also the world's most colorful!

Nearly 13, Ashley has been in foster care since her father was arrested and put in prison, and she has been labeled trouble ever since. Still, even from behind bars he finds ways to control Ashley and her happiness, and her recurring nightmares of the night of his crime haunt her. A talented artist and football fan, Ashley is initally
Charlemagne
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I adored the first half of this book. Primer really takes time to establish all of its characters before introducing the superhero element, and it works! Ashley is a fun and energetic protagonist who is flawed, but likable enough for you to always be in her corner.

Ironically, the action-adventure elements of this book are by far its weakest points. So much time has been spent on slice-of-life development that once things really get rolling there's very little time left for all the pieces to fall
Alana
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, ala, jri
ARC - My review does not reflect finished content.

Art is wonderful, story is rushed but cute--basically, DC put out something so Marvel you'd think it was about to cross over with Power Pack. Excited for the next villain, and to recommend this to my friends' kids.

Side rant: I could once again live without the lazy slam on vegan food--why bother? What's the point? I'm not vegan but this is so unnecessary. I grew up in the 80s with books always knocking tofu and was shocked to find out as an adult
Sara Doyle
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

The artwork and cover are absolutely stunning, and the vivid colors are perfect!

Primer is a brand new type of superhero. Our superhero is Ashley, a 13 year old graffiti artist entering yet another foster home. She's snarky, feisty, and is very upfront with her pranks and schannagiens.
Her new foster parents are super quirky and accepting. I love that her foster dad is comfortable with his scientist wife bringing
Marie
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
So fun! Very appealing to tweens and teens. Ashley is a foster kid that is paired up with a young couple. One is an artist and the other is a scientist. As Ashley navigates her new world and builds a relationship with her guardians she comes across a top secret suitcase of paint- one that grants her superpowers. Now Ashley must figure out how to be a teenager and the town heroine at the same time. Of course there is a villain close to heels. Contemporary and lovable.

Thanks for the ARC DC kids!
Katie Lawrence
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, graphic-novel
I just finished Primer! I love it so much!! What a great concept for a superhero! The paint aspect is really fun and adds a cool artistic spin, especially since Ashley is a graffiti artist. Ashley/Primer is so fierce, totally a hero to root for! I love that she is a foster kid with an incarcerated parent, I have so many students that will relate to her experiences. Love all the quirky, delightful supporting characters and the vibrant color palette too! I hope there’s more to come!

Christina Burbage
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Primer is a cute coming of age story about a girl who is being fostered and having to fins her way. I loved the way that it was written that I could connect with the characters. Some of it could have been developed a bit more. It seemed to jump around a bit but over all a great read and a fantastic lesson that there are still good people out there that care about others.
Heather Love
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Colorful, heartfelt and fun. This was a delight to read. I loved how spunky, yet vulnerable, the main character was, and the supportive cast of characters she had surrounding her. I look forward to reading more of Primer's adventures.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2020; I also accessed a digital review copy through Edelweiss.
Justin

• You Are Light
  • Our Favorite Day
  • Go with the Flow
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • A Treasury of Classic Fairy Tales: Includes Pdf (The Land of Stories)
  • The Women Who Caught The Babies: A Story of African American Midwives
  • Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #1)