Start by marking “Blind Eye (High Priestess Iliona, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blind Eye (High Priestess Iliona, #1)

Blind Eye (High Priestess Iliona #1)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A new series set in Ancient Greece - 466 BC - Blackmailed into spying for Spartas hated secret police, High Priestess Ilionas investigations keep turning up the same stories of a one-eyed giant that lives in the hills above Sicily: the legendary Cyclops. But soon Iliona comes to realize that the threat to her country doesnt come from the so-called Cyclops, or even their ar ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Severn House Publishers (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Eye

Phair
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this one. The setting/period was interesting but I found the story hard to follow. The pov & time kept changing and it was hard for me to keep the characters straight. The central character did not stand out for me. Not sure I will revisit this series.
Arlene Allen
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay she isn't Claudia, and it isn't as funny, but I did enjoy it and will definitely read the next one...
Charles Stephen
I wanted a satisfying story about Greeks that was set in ancient times. One like Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles. I'll keep looking. [Found it: Mary Renault's The Last of the Wine (1956)]

Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
‘The young stallion tottered to his feet and stretched the long night from his legs.’

Sparta 466 BCE: Lysander, the commander of the Spartan secret police known as the Krypteia, coerces Iliona, high priestess of the river deity Eurotas into gathering intelligence for him. Sent to Sicily to investigate, Iliona keeps coming across a story of a one-eyed giant living in the hills above Sicily and preying on inhabitants. Iliona quickly comes to realise that the threat to Sparta does not come from the
Julie
Annoyingly modern slang used in dialogue, though I'm finding it easier to ignore as the book progresses. I understand that it's difficult to put a casual conversation in ancient Greek into dialogue without it sounding funny.

Eh. It felt convoluted and spacey. The story wasn't that complicated, so the confusion was a deliberate attempt by the author to make things feel more involved. I don't have any interest in pursuing the series.
Irene
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed most of the Claudia books. I read the first book in this series and I wasn't sure about it. When the second book came out I re-read the first one to remind me who was who, and I have to say that on second reading I enjoyed it more. This second book was also good.
Rosemary
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
A new series by the author of Claudia Seferius books. While I'm always ready to read more about Claudia, Sparta's Iliona is another terrific female character negotiating pitfalls of politics, religion, and human failings. Also proves that Sparta is far more interesting than one famous battle.
!
Jan 10, 2016
Nikki
Oct 01, 2014
JJonty
rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2011
Nov 04, 2009
Ray Ramsay
Mar 29, 2014
Jan 29, 2013
MARILYN TODD lives with her husband on a French hilltop, surrounded by vineyards, châteaux and vines. As well as sixteen critically acclaimed historical thrillers, she's a prolific writer of short stories, most of which are crime, but range from commercial women's fiction to comic fantasy and all points in between. When she isn't killing people, Marilyn enjoys cooking. Which is pretty much the sam ...more
More about Marilyn Todd

High Priestess Iliona (3 books)
  • Blood Moon (High Priestess Iliona, #2)
  • Still Waters (High Priestess Iliona #3)