Start by marking “The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump

The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump

What if there's a hidden dimension to Donald Trump; a sensitive, poetic side? Driven by this question, Rob Sears began combing Trump's words for signs of poetry.

What he found was a revelation. By simply taking the 45th President of the United States' tweets and transcripts, cutting them up and reordering them, Sears unearthed a trove of beautiful verse that was just
Audiobook
Published March 23rd 2018 by Canongate Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump, please sign up.
Erre Yes and no. It's a compilation of actual fragments of his speeches, put together in a more coherent, sometimes poetic, and mostly satiric way.

Start your review of The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump
Harrison
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys satire
Folks, this book is great. These poems are fantastic. That I can tell you. And I am really smart. Believe me, I know words. I know the best words. Everyone agrees. That's a true fact.
Look at Will Shakespeare. Look at Emily Dickinson. And you count their words. And it's too many, folks. Too many words. Too many!
Now, look at Goodreads. Smart people. Smart people who like books. Maybe books not written about Trump. But that's pushing it, folks. Because these poems are enough.
Trump is poetic. So
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
The first time I saw this book in a Goodreads feed I thought it was actually serious, if but for a minute, and I was genuinely flabbergasted at the concept. This book can’t be for real. Poetry? Trump? No, you're having a laugh.

And thankfully Rob Sears is.

He’s pieced together all manner of quotes from Trump over the years. Quotes from twitter, from television interviews and radio broadcasts, it’s all come together to form a rather random bunch of poetry. And some of them are gold.

“I won!
Well,
Lori
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My initial reaction when I heard about this book: Well, I don’t know a lot about poetry, but that sounds like a bad idea. Russell Brand’s take on reading the comment that “Ian Huntley’s voodoo dolls should be taken away and burnt!” specifically sprang to mind for some reason.

It’s smart, you can finish on the bus, and it’s good for a laugh. That’s what my friend said when she lent it to me. She’s right. If nothing else, “People of the world, thank you” from the 2017 inaugural address by the 45th
Jon Nakapalau
Lines taken from what Donald Trump has said over the years and rearranged to form (mostly) short poems. I liked the book because I think it speaks to a much deeper issue: supporters of President Trump will look at this book and claim that it is contextually constructed to make him look bad; opponents will say the opposite - that the 'crystallization' of the lines shows a very egotistically motivated individual who is now the most powerful man in the world. I leave all interpretations to you - my ...more
Lea Dokter
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical.
I can only imagine how much time went into creating this, and for that, Robert Sears, I applaud you.
Stephen Robert Collins
I spotted this in Waterstones today WHAT !!!
Well as staff said if I am short of toliet paper this great if have some body you hate this Christmas this perfect book for them .The mother in law book pressy.
Julie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, poetry
I happened upon this book in a quaint bookstore on a recent trip to London. No, Donald Trump is not a poet, at least, not as far as I know. This book was created by Rob Sears using actual words or phrases Donald has spoken, written or tweeted to form poems. It is what's known in England as tongue-in-cheek humor and it is slyly funny. A citation for each line appears immediately after each poem, which informs the reader of the origin of the word or phrase. The words "strictly unauthorized" are on ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Not a lot to say about this book of poetry, which was a popular stocking stuffer this year it seems, alongside my dad's received copy of The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America, and the "People of Wal-Mart" adult colouring book I got (which for the record, I will not be using). More of a novelty book than anything else, what can be said for it? The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump knows its audience - fans of Trump will be offended or mildly bothered, those who hate Trump will find it the ...more
Matt Hooper
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am the least racist person there is;
I've always had a great relationship with the blacks;
I remained strong for Tiger Woods during his difficult period;
Oprah, I love Oprah. Oprah would always be my first choice;
Kanye West - I love him;
I think Eminem is fantastic and most people think I would like Eminem;
And did you know my name is in more black songs than any other name in hip-hop;
You are the racist, not I."

Rob Sears is an American hero who lives in Great Britain. At some point either during
Daley Porter
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as beautiful and poetic as I was led to believe.
Yusra  ✨
Aug 17, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
...... where can i buy this
Paula M.
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We are going to make poetry GREAT again! " I promise".
"I am what I am" and "I am your voice!" This is a GREAT poetry book." "Believe me!" " I know words" , "You're going to love it"! The others don't write good, not even Maggie Haberman ! "Total losers!"

"I'm the world's greatest writer of 140 character sentences". "Mark my words". Bob Sears had this great idea of putting them together and the result is this GREAT compilation, " despite the constant negative press covfefe".

"Russia, if you're
Kristína Hana
3,5*

Good genes
All men are created equal
Well it’s not true
Some are smart, some aren’t

Do we believe in the gene thing? I mean, I do!
I'm blessed with good genes
Good (great) brain. Good-sized hands. German blood.

We have people that are stupid
They cannot help the fact that they were born fucked up
Slow horses don’t produce fast horses

A teraz potrebujem to isté - len pozliepané z Dankových výrokov.
Helen Marquis
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The insane ramblings of President Trump are collected in this splendid tome in the form of poetry after some extremely good research by Robert Sears. To avoid any cries of Fake News, every quote used has its associated source - from campaign speeches, to radio / press interviews, to Twitter storms and beyond. And while there may not be a lack of source material spuffing forth from the orange anus, the way Sears arranges it is truly wonderful, creating a beautiful silk purse from a putrid maggoty ...more
Kate
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adultnon-fiction
Hilarious and yet totally depressing.
Julia
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually sad and hilarious at the same time!
I can definitelly recommend the audiobook, which read by Jon Culshaw makes the whole thing even funnier.
Wastrel
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago, the President of the United States was a moron who couldn't navigate from one end of a sentence to the other without cocking the whole thing up like a right eejit. People made fun of this, and published many volumes of the 'wisdom' or 'poetry' of George W Bush's fatuous statements, pretending to take them seriously.

Compared to that, this book is lazy.

See, the problem with trying to do the same thing with Donald Trump is that most of what Donald Trump says is not prima facie
Miglė
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short and funny book of poems composed of real quotes by Trump (with sources provided).

I am the best

I predicted Apple's stock fall
I will build a great, great wall
I build buildings that are 94 storeys tall
My hands aren't - are they small?

The author also provides a sensitive analysis of Trump's work in the foreword, making it a brilliant satire, only rarely letting the open critique shine through.

Slowly the hair dries

It's a process that can take 18 months to two years

I also like the idea of
Debbie Young
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This inventive way to satirise Donald Trump's unique approach to the English language makes entertaining reading. I think the author may have started a whole new form of comedy here.
Ellen Hayhurst
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, at least something good came out of Donald Trump.
Sara
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. Compiling Trump’s tweets into poetry is a brilliant idea. Insanity and humor reign supreme!!!
Eeva
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First it made me laugh, but then I realised that none of it is made up and that made me cry.
Paul T
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing work, and I don't use that term lightly. Any more amazing and it would change you.
Samuel Allen
I laughed, I was moved. I am scared that laughing at this buffoon will make people less scared of him (because they should be).
het meisje zonder naam
I don't often read poetry and I don't follow Trump on twitter, I also don't live in the US and English is not my first language. so I might not be the best person to review this book, but I am going to anyway.

As the book states in the beginning "You do not have to accept one to appreciate the other". This is a statement I agree with. Just to clarify, when talking about this book I do not in any way mean to talk about the politics behind it. I will not go in to depth about my feelings on the
ForenSeek
If you're burning with hatred for Trump 24/7, you will find this book satisfying. If you don't really care about the guy all that much, you will probably find this collection of Trump's most infamous utterances to be fairly pointless.
Heather
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Hilarious. And yet...so fucking depressing.
James
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, poetry
A clever idea - taking the tweets, speeches and interviews from Trump and managing to turn something so repulsive as Trump's rhetoric into something that is genuinely, almost poetry. From amusing haikus about his hated figures of Ted Cruz and Lord Sugar etc. to the more poignant juxtaposition of the Access Hollywood tape and his speech on National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month to create the poem: You can do anything.
Makayla
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Absolutely hilarious. When I saw the cover for this book, I laughed and ordered a print. This can be read in under an hour, and it's full of satiric "poetry" compiled from President Trump's tweets, interviews, speeches, or quotes. Next to the "poems" are references in footnotes, which only heightens the comedic effect and absurdness of the laughable contradictions.

I giggled while reading the poems, and the footnotes just made me want to bury my face in my hands. If anything, this juxtaposition
Helen
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults.
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
In this book, which can be read in about an hour (or less) the author has created satiric "poetry" from Donald Trump quotes and tweets - to hugely humorous effect! Sort of like making lemonade from lemons -- the lemonade being the guffaws and laughs! I definitely recommend the book for its comedic value..

All the quotes are meticulously referenced in footnotes - which appear on pages facing the "poems" - an effect which only heightens the ridiculousness of Trump's "utterances." This is a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Kuuttoman yön jättiläinen
  • Pitääkö olla huolissaan? - Elämänkoulun kymppiluokka
  • Kaverin puolesta kyselen
  • Koira nimeltään Kissa tapaa kissan
  • La historia de Greta: ¡No eres demasiado pequeño para hacer cosas grandes!
  • Uutismies
  • Kauheimmat joululaulut: ja muita runoja talven juhliin
Rob Sears is a creative director at McCann Erickson advertising agency, has written comedy and fiction for McSweeney's and (with his brother) wrote a sitcom for Audible. He is the author of the hit humor title The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump. He lives in London with his wife.

“I won! Well, we've had some disasters, but this is the worst.” 0 likes