Start by marking “Awakening (Wild Oak #1)” as Want to Read:
Awakening (Wild Oak #1)

Awakening

(Wild Oak #1)

A prophecy, a True Alpha, and fated mates. Can Ascha accept that his life has changed forever?

At twenty-one, Ascha Stanton has it all: a wonderful family, great friends, a long-term girlfriend, and a promising career as an NFL star.

The appearance of three unknown men in his small town changes everything. Not only his life and future but also what he always thought
Published November 23rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening

Start your review of Awakening (Wild Oak #1)
Ζωή Παππά
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ascha has it all. He’s in college, he’s a great football player and scouts are coming to his next game. He’s about to get everything he’s been working for his entire life. On his 21st birthday everything changes. He finds out he’s a wolf shifter, he has a fated mate and there’s a prophecy about him being the true alpha.
I discovered omegaverse books a few months ago and I’m hooked! It’s all I want to read. What I liked the most about this book was the dynamics between the two main characters. I
Jamie Lee Zonneveld
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awakening is the first book in the Wild Oak series by J.J. Harper. It was my first read by this author.

Awakening is about 21 year old Ascha Stanton who has a long term girlfriend and a promising career at the NFL. But everything changes when 3 new guys arrive in town not only his life and career but also he finds himself attracted to Thaddeus, one of those 3 guys.

I really liked this book. I loved Thaddeus and Ascha. Can't wait for the second book.
The Quille and Lampe
What I Think: This is my first tale by this Authoress and finding new writers to love is the best part of being a reviewer. Now, you all know I avoid YA romance like the plague but I go weak for paranormal romance and this just had so many elements I love put together. Shifters? Check! MM romance? Check! Magic? Check! Prophecies that are about to be fulfilled? Check! These were the promises that tempted me into reading this arc. Let’s see how it fared?
Ascha is a simple guy from a small town
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review by: Jennifer
(4 stars)

Twenty-one year old Ascha has no clue that there is another world out there. A world that he is destined to be the leader of. For years the wolf shifters have waited for the prophesied leader to be born. When the time came for them to make themselves known to Ascha, they had to be very careful and wait for him to realize when something …. more was happening to him. Ascha's life turns upside down in the matter of twenty-four hours. He went from being an NFL hopeful and
R
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ascha is a college football star, headed for the NFL. Football is his whole life. When he turns twenty-one his life changes. Thaddeus is a wolf shifter. He’s known that there may be a fated mate somewhere in the world for him. When he meets Ascha and the mate mark appears he thinks he’s the luckiest man ever.

The path to happy ever after isn’t an easy one. They have to deal with an interfering coach, parents, a vengeful neighboring pack, a small act of nature called knotting, and oh
Erica Chilson
DNF = automatic 3 stars

I struggled with the opener sounding wooden, hoping once we were in present day that the story would grab me. I tried for a few chapters, and felt it not fair to the author to review for our blog, as this is definitely the case where we're not a good fit, reading-wise.

With the mentality of someone over 50, yet the stunted maturity of someone in their early teens, I felt as if he was blaming Erin for him not wanting her, like how dare she wear cherry lip gloss because she
Katie Townsend
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awakening was such a beautiful incredible intense and moving story

Thaddeus and ascha stole my heart from the moment i met them

I was hooked and addictive from the first word to the last i did not want to put the story down

My heart broke at times but also got put back together again

Every word was moving and meaningful and also sweet i loved the storyline and the characters so much

This is something different to what jj harper shares with but i think she did a beautiful job with awakening im so
Patricia Nelson
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an amazing, intriguing, engaging, interesting, sexy, fascinating, and totally awesome start to what looks like a fantastic new series. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Kathryn Manzella
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awakening is the first book in the Wild Oak series by JJ Harper. This is a m/m romance with wolf shifters that occurs in a universe where mpreg is possible. Ascha is thrown into a whole new world when his w1st birthday comes and secrets come to light. Ascha and Thaddeus are fantastic characters- I love their interactions and connection. The story had action, drama, humor and steam. It held my attention and made me want more. I can not wait to see what is next up for our shifters.
Karolina Cebula
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

Ascha has had big plans and dreams concerning his future and football career. Unfortunately, as he turns twenty-one, his life goes awry. It turns out that the young man is a shapeshifter and can take the form of a wolf. But that's not all. He's the long-awaited legendary True Alpha, and the fate chose Thaddeus as his perfect mate. Unfortunately, not everyone benefits from Ascha's awakening. There are those who don't want to give away the power they possess to anyone, even to the True
Maggie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second wolf-shifter paranormal novel that I read and I really enjoyed it. The world building is wonderfully executed, introducing readers to the Wild Oak pack and their nemesis the Black Tors. Since it’s the first book in the series, there is a slight cliff-hanger (or more like a “promise”) of what’s to come next.

JJ Harper is a new author to me, and her writing is excellent. She did a great job developing the two male protagonists: Ascha and Thaddeus.

Ascha, as stated in the blurb,
Karen Edwards
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caroline
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This paranormal romance was different from your normal contemporary romance normally written by JJ Harper and was a great read.

I loved everything about this book. The storyline, the instant connection between the main characters, the chemistry all combined in a well written book was thoroughly enjoyable. As the blurb tells, a college footballer discovers that a paranormal world exists around him soon after his 21st birthday and that he is the center piece of prophecy which makes him a long
Pamela Cunningham
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a normal young man who finds out that he is descend to be the Alpha of Alphas

This was a good read although this was very fast moving story with the usual Alpha finds his mate and it's instant love . Not a fan of that I get that this formula is popular but I like when there's some getting too know the mate first before they mate and have kid's . This is just the first book so I'm looking forward too how this plays out .
Ulrike Apel
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, mpreg, shifter, pack
I am a big fan of JJ Harper's books and a big fan of shifter / mpreg.

I was very curious about the new series and was absolutely not disappointed.

A great new WElt, with very interesting aspects like Shifter living with non Shifters, like Packs living in the hidden and yet not in the hidden.

Ascha is the prophesied alpha who will change his shape for the first time on his 21th birthday. And that is exactly what is happening.
He meets Thaddeus, Omega, son of the present alpha of the pack.

The
Keith
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Left Feeling Lost

An interesting plot idea which is poorly executed. This is a prime example of why an editor is needed when publishing a book. The storyline is choppy and disconnected, events happen without introduction or preamble. It’s just sad. There is a gem of an idea here and a new shifter world view but the prose lacks polish and refinement. The story as presented is mostly awkward and difficult to follow.
Kellie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this first book in the new and upcoming series. I am a very easy to please reader and I like all books. This is a great start to what can be an awesome series! I loved how Ascha acclimated to being the True Alpha quickly instead of dragging it out and his feelings for Thaddeus even though he has been straight his whole life and that he listened to his inner self and his wolf. I like the side characters and it opens it up to new additional pieces!I like how this was a fast paced read ...more
Marshalee Francis-Brady
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story

Great book , love characters.I lol so much.should be longer . Hope series continue to be great. Would definitely recommend
Sue
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! WILD OAK PACK!!! MY NEW OBSESSION!!!

This new PACK!!!! This has become my new shifter OBSESSION!!! JJ HARPER I'M SOOO HOOKED!!! Great introduction, Superb Writing, Fantastic Story, Amazing Characters!!! The awakening of Ascha as The One True Alpha and his meeting with Thaddeus as his Omega was exciting. Thaddeus was awesome. Everything that happens in this story is EPIC!!! I'm going to be pacing until the next book is due for release!! This is a hit!! I HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS
Fadheelah Rahmtoola
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Aschas life changes after his birthday, he didn’t expect it to change so drastically.
He stumbles into a world of paranormal, fated mates, action and drama. Thad was a surprise but a lovable one.
This was a promising start to the series. For the authors first venture into shifter writing, she did really well. There were issues in the plot that niggled, but they could be forgiven.
The characters were entertaining with their banter, I liked the whole GFY, fated mates aspect of the story.
I’m
Rachel
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to the series. Ascha and Thad story is unique and a fantastic look into this universe. With any first book there is a lot of Lore/Pack information to take in and how it wraps around the plot for these guys. Loved the chemistry between these two and a insta-love vibe that I feel works with Shifter stories more then others so it flowed well. Don't want to give away too much but it leaves me wanting book 2 right now. I voluntarily reviewed an 'Advance Author’s Copy' of this book.
Caz
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive this book as an arc for an honest review. I wish they had more stars to give. Another amazing book by an amazing author. If you love shifter books then you need to read this. Can’t wait for the next book.
Al Parker
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It kept me interested throughout the whole book, I didn’t have to skip or skim over it cuz there were no boring parts.
I love fated mates and shifter books so I’m probably biased but I definitely recommend it!!!
AL
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great start to what can be an awesome series! Some unusual twists make it different from other shifter stories. I liked the characters and there is a lot of promise in this series! Will definitely look out for part 2.
Rachel Magadan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good start to a new series

Really liked this book. It’s different than your regular shifter books and has a little more manic side to it. And ofcourse I couldn’t turn down the GFY fated mates troupe. Can’t wait for the other characters stories.
P Leslie
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, m-m
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no elses*

4 stars

A great start to the series!

Ashca’s life changes drastically within 24 hrs and shockingly, he took things a lot better than I thought he would. His bond with Thad was intense and beautiful.

I look forward to reading the next book to see how Ashca copes under the pressure and what’s expected of him.
Coley
Kaila
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
amazing
J.J. Harper
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mildred
Nov 17, 2019
mado
Nov 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fixing Little Red (Different Hearts #2)
  • The Christmas Dragon's Mate (Lonely Dragons Club #1)
  • Unbreakable (Heaven and Hell Club #0)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • His Protective Mates (Broken Oaks Pack Book 1)
  • Fall Again (The Rock Gods Book 10)
  • Bear Secrets
  • The Christmas Deal
  • A Pebble for Lewis
  • Adore (On My Knees Duet #2)
  • Twice Shy (Javier Coven #2)
  • Caring For Little Ollie (Different Hearts, #1)
  • Fall Deep (Kinley Island, #3)
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • James (Gates of Heaven #3)
  • Without Warning (Cobalt Security, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)
  • The Heat Professor (Nerds Who Knot #4)
Hiding behind a quiet unassuming facade J J reads and writes hot sexy stories. Stories of men loving men as well as women loving men.
What would the neighbors think!!

As long as the men are hot alpha's and the women are strong in their own right then they have a place in J J's books.

JJ also has a kinkier side and writes under the name of AG Silver. So, make sure you look out for those books too.