Start by marking “Restorative Yoga for Beginners: Gentle Poses for Relaxation and Healing” as Want to Read:
Restorative Yoga for Beginners: Gentle Poses for Relaxation and Healing

Restorative Yoga for Beginners: Gentle Poses for Relaxation and Healing

Relax, relieve, restore—a beginner’s path to healing with restorative yoga

Recovering from an injury, an illness, or just interested in a natural way to relax? Restorative yoga focuses on simple poses in supported positions, encouraging deep relaxation so your mind can enter a peaceful, meditative state.

Dive in with an introduction to the spiritual origins and rejuvenat

Published December 3rd 2019 by Rockridge Press

To ask other readers questions about Restorative Yoga for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restorative Yoga for Beginners

Start your review of Restorative Yoga for Beginners: Gentle Poses for Relaxation and Healing
Sophia
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yoga can be intimidating especially for a novice with health complications so I was eager to try this book and the course it offered when I read through the blurb and thought this gentler version of Yoga just might be me speed.

Restorative Yoga for Beginners is a quick read and happily gets into the poses and sequences of poses for various purposes as the main body of the book. There is an intro to what Restorative Yoga is, how it will benefit those who practice it, and how the book will proceed
Nicole
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Amazing “why” for anyone interested in balancing their lives and yoga practice. Also great for those of us who know restorative yoga but need new ideas. Julia makes things approachable. Wonderful read and teacher!
Annie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Restorative Yoga for Beginners is an illustrated tutorial guide for restorative and relaxation yoga. Due out 17th Dec 2019 from Callisto on their Rockridge Press imprint, it's 180 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook format (ebook available now). It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links and references throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with intera
Jessica Rodrigues
I suppose I had the wrong impression of what this book would be when I went into it. It's not for improving flexibility or losing weight or anything like that, it's just for instruction on doing relaxing poses.

It is a well laid-out book with simple instructions and helpful illustrations that will appeal to those interested in learning more about relaxing poses for meditation, etc.

arc received from the publisher
Amy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I live with Fibromyalgia so keeping limber and exercising is very important to me. This book by Julia Clarke is simple to understand and relief of undue stress has been fantastic. Restorative Yoga for Beginners has helped me to begin moving in the right direction.

Thank you to NetGalley and Julia Clarke for the ARC in return for an honest review.
Melissa Borsey
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read on why yoga is so important, props needed, the best poses with pictures and instructions on how to do them, with precautions to take, benefits of said moves, and tips. There is also a helpful chapter on breathing and meditating. Highly recommend! I thank Callisto Publisher's Club for the opportunity to read and review this book. ...more
Jill
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: callisto
I love yoga. Or maybe I just love the idea of yoga. I did some yoga when I was younger, when I was more active, before I spent my days sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer. Now I think about getting back to it. But mostly I get intimidated and just continue not doing yoga. So when I saw Restorative Yoga for Beginners, I thought maybe this was exactly what I need to get back into it.

Author Julia Clarke has been teaching restorative yoga for years and has all the information you need to ge
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
This book begins with an explanation of the restorative yoga style, and how it affects the body, calms the mind, and provides stress relief. Then some general information with Do's and Don'ts about props, clothing, and how much time a restorative yoga practice should take.

The second section of the book gives details and instructions on performing each individual yoga pose. Each pose is listed with the benefits of the pose, and precautions for the elderly, injured, or pregnant women. There are a
Diane Estrella
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world of, go, go, GO, you have to be very purposeful to take time for yourself, to shut down and relax!

I have been practicing yoga for a few years now and find the "doing," or physical movements of yoga very beneficial for my health and fitness. There is another side of yoga that is being mindful, or slowing down and being in the moment. Both sides of yoga have definite body/mind* benefits that can compliment each other. This book is a great tool for stopping physical work and just allowing
Sharon
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book for review is “Restorative Yoga for beginners” by Julia Clarke. This falls in the genre of health and fitness.

Are you recovering from an illness, injury or have always been interested in yoga?
Restorative yoga’s definition is the practice of asanas, each held for longer than in conventional classes, often with the support of props such as folded blankets, to relax the body according to Google.

Inside these pages you will find in the beginning an overview of what this form of yoga is , how
Claire
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never really practiced yoga (unless you count the Wii Fit 😂) but I’ve been adopting more and more natural ways to manage my fibromyalgia & other chronic illnesses. After spending Christmas in hospital, along with my husband, with Covid 19, self-care & healing both physically & mentally have become more of a priority. Research led me to restorative yoga, which then led me to this book.

On first read through, I feel motivated in the sense that I feel like this is something I can incorporate i
joyce w. laudon
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With chapters that describe restorative yoga and tell what one needs to know to begin, readers are prepared to work on the poses that follow.  Next is a chapter on "the basics" which includes nine poses.  This is followed by chapters on poses for stress relief, pain relief and other poses for healing.The  book then has a chapter on sequences and one on breathing and meditations.  So, as you can see, this book is pretty comprehensive, especially as each chapter includes multiple poses. The book e ...more
Amy Navarre
Thank you to Callisto Publisher's Club and to Rockridge Press for this free book. The following review contains my honest opinion.
All the poses listed in this book call for props, I prefer a more simplistic practice. I have used props during prenatal yoga and even in the earliest days of mommy and me yoga: at the time I was working with an instructor who was very comfortable with the use of props and under her guidance, I felt confident. However, on my own I really prefer a more minimalist appro
Lisa B.
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have taken restorative yoga classes. Unfortunately, not long after the classes were over, I failed to continue practicing the poses on my own. I'm to blame for this. But eventually over time, I would forget which pose would provide what benefit and how to do them properly.

Lucky for me I now have this book. I allowed myself a few months before posting a review because I wanted to take the time to work through some of the poses. I found the book to be well laid out and easy to understand. There
SOMDReigel
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Restorative Yoga for Beginners is a very well done guide that is excellent book for beginners and beyond. It teaches you everything you need to know to start restorative yoga but also to deepen your existing knowledge. Anyone can do restorative yoga (including those with stress, beginners, people dealing with illness, people with disabilities, people with injuries, pregnant women, older adults). Very little equipment is required to start, and the author details how to fold blankets to make cost- ...more
Sarah Isenegger
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book a year ago and return to it all the time. I was a restorative yoga beginner and to be honest, I was a little nervous as I have always been more comfortable in movement than in stillness, but my concerns were unnecessary. I appreciate how the book is easy to follow and accessible without being patronizing and, as I've progressed over the year, I feel like I have learned something new each time I open it up. I've used the poses and breathwork to rest, to calm myself, to grie ...more
Lecy Beth
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This is a fantastic resource for someone who is new to yoga or looking for some yin poses to relax and recuperate from stress, chronic pain, or illness. The book had two sections. One, broke down each pose with an illustration, instructions, precautions, and benefits, along with a tip for getting the most out of the pose. The second part was dedicated to sequences of three to six poses that form a flow. The book is simple enough for a person of any age to follow along and learn about the basic r ...more
Valerie
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully helpful for this new yoga teacher that is just introducing herself to restorative yoga! I am starting a restorative yoga teacher training in a few months and this has been such a great tool for easing into that world with confidence. Highly recommend for people first starting restorative yoga, or for someone who would like to refine and really hone in on the foundations of their restorative practice.
Kerrie Hoar
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for beginners. The poses grow in difficulty - each with an illustration and detailed instructions. In addition, each pose includes a set of precautions and benefits - along with tips for best practice. I would recommend this book to anyone new to yoga - such as myself.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.
Witch-at-Heart
This book is beautifully illustrated and easy to understand. If you're seeking a go-to guide for restorative yoga, I highly recommend this book it has sone great information.

I recieved this book from Calisto Publishing and Rockridge Press for an honest review.
Tracy Sagriff
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the perfect introduction to restorative yoga. You will quickly be ready to jump right in and begin your practice. The clear instructions, simple tools and easy to follow diagrams make it simple to master several poses. I highly recommend this book.
Tracey
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Perfect for those who are just beginning their restorative yoga journey, but also for teachers in support to sequence classes. Julia's voice conveys a true love of the practice and intelligently speaks to why it is that we would all benefit from a restorative yoga practice. Loved it! ...more
Joann
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Essential text for Restorative Yoga

Very thorough,thoughtful and comprehensive. Will be a great asset to me personally and as yoga teacher. I am so grateful to have been led to this book!
Alice Teets
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

As a very beginner yoga practitioner, this book gave excellent instructions and pictures to help to learn helpful poses! I hope to get a lot of use from it!
Jenny
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good detailed information on many poses, but was hoping there would be more (and longer) sequences.
Stargazer
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This form of yoga helped me a lot when i was really ill and if i was buying a book, i'd be happy to buy this one. ...more
Rebecca Noran
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga-books
Haven’t made it through all the poses yet but I feel solid I’m saying this is a solid guide for solid relaxing nap yoga. Solid.
Brittney // brittysbooks
Thanks to Netgalley and Callisto Media for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have never done yoga before but have been told multiple times to try it to help my lower back pain. I loved that this book shows me what I equipment I need, where this position stretches/helps and a simple explanation about how to do the position. I found it beneficial for a newbie who knows nothing about yoga. It helped my lower back a lot and an easy stress reliever.
Deepa Patel
Jul 05, 2020
Amanda Yeo
Jan 23, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• After the End
  • Everyday Bread Baking: From Simple Sandwich Loaves to Celebratory Holiday Breads
  • Hidden Places: An Inspired Traveller's Guide
  • WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game
  • Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed-Media, and Travel Pages
  • Spy School (Spy School, #1)
  • The Test
  • How to Cook for Beginners: An Easy Cookbook for Learning the Basics
  • 5-Minute Mindfulness Meditations for Teens
  • Super-Quick Colorful Quilts: 35 Vibrant Designs for Fast Quilts
  • Santa's Secret
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt: Christmas Activity Book
  • The Way of All Flesh
  • The Universe in a Nutshell
  • Chocolate for Beginners: Techniques and Recipes for Making Chocolate Candy, Confections, Cakes and More
  • Last Breath (Good Daughter, #0.5)
  • The First Christmas Jumper and the Sheep Who Changed Everything

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...