Start by marking “Contemporary American Poetry” as Want to Read:
Contemporary American Poetry

Contemporary American Poetry

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

This highly respected anthology presents the work of 66 poets who have "shaped the contours and direction of the mainstream of American poetry" from 1955 to the present. The alphabetically arranged collection provides a generous sampling of each poet with a photo, biographical sketches, and bibliographies.

Editor Michael Waters continues the careful selection process as A.

Published 1980 by Houghton Mifflin Co. (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Contemporary American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemporary American Poetry

Dayna
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own many books of poetry and a few poetry anthologies. It is rare that an anthology includes all of the poets whose work I admire, but this is one of those. As is the case for many anthologies, for those who are looking for samples of more experimental work, this is not for you. This includes the typical major players like Robert Hayden, Galway Kinnell, and Philip Levine, but it also offers work by culturally varied poets like Gary Soto, Kimiko Hahn, and Naomi Shihab Nye. There really wasn't a ...more
Rose
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating would have been higher but I'm not the biggest fan of poetry. This is an excellent collection of poets and their poems. I actually found this book in a pile that some of my college professors were giving away. I had just been in a Poetry class, and I felt the need to continue reading poetry even though it's not my favorite reading material. I am glad I read this collection of poetry, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a love for poetry.
Eric
Jun 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very difficult for me to find a collection of poetry that I can read most of the way through. This had good work from authors I never knew, and am now a fan of. Besides that, there were good bios and acknowledgements section to find a lot of books from. A good mixture of some poets; others, I have no idea how they got into publication at all.
C
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have said, I got this as a college textbook, but keep returning to it. At one point I lost my copy and had to find another. Hearing about the death of Adrienne Rich, I re-read her poems in this collection.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, scholarship
I loved this book when I first got it (first poetry workshop), and I love returning to it. The more years that pass, the more I realize it's a fantastic introduction to some of the most important poets we have. A great compilation!
Indy
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Indy by: Dr. Taylor
Shelves: poetry
Just re-read for the twentieth time at least. I love this compilation. Thanks Dr. Taylor!
Cassa
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-class
Read it for class. Don't read it all in one day like I did, you'll explode.

Good collection of authors, interesting enough work, nothing I found "spoke" to me.
Lisa
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a textbook in college, but I still pick it up every once in awhile and read some poems. This is the best anthology I can think of for modern poems. Amen.
Auntjenny
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suppose this is the book that introduced me to contemporary American poetry. I still read it (it's on my nightstand!). So many poets to keep falling in love with.
Mike
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. If you come across a copy, buy it.
Adam Dupaski
  • A New Selected Poems
  • New Selected Poems
  • I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl: Poems
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry