Start by marking “Pleasing the Dead (Storm Kayama, #4)” as Want to Read:
Pleasing the Dead (Storm Kayama, #4)

Pleasing the Dead (Storm Kayama #4)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Some nasty predators dwell in paradise, and they arenat all hiding in the azure waters. The day attorney Storm Kayama arrives in Kahului to help Lara Farrell set up her new dive shop, someone bombs a restaurant. When one of Laraas employees, a recent Japanese immigrant, kills himself and one of his young daughters, Storm begins to ask questions.
The tentacles of the Yakuz
Published February 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published February 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pleasing the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pleasing the Dead

Kathleen Hagen
Pleasing the Dead, by Deborah Turrell Atkinson, B-plus, narrated by Bernadette Dunn, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This book takes place in Hawaii. It is a good and fast read, described as follows by the publisher:

Some nasty predators dwell in paradise. The day attorney Storm Kayama arrives in Kahului to help Lara Farrell set up her new dive shop, someone bombs a
restaurant. When one of Lara's employees, a recent Japanese immigrant, kills himself and one of his young d
Jenny Hilborne
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve never been to Hawaii you’ll feel like you have after reading Pleasing the Dead. A mystery set in the islands intrigued me from the beginning. As Deborah Turrell Atkinson writes: some nasty predators dwell in paradise, and they aren’t all hiding in the azure waters. In such an idyllic setting, who would expect anything could go wrong? The combination of innocence and violence, weakness and power is appealing in Pleasing the Dead, the fourth novel in Atkinson’s Storm Kayama series.

The ac
Jodi
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
I may have enjoyed this more had I read all the previous novels in the series, but I never really warmed up to Storm. Storm is on Kahalui to help Lara Farrell set up the LLC for her new dive shop. It doesn't take her long before she's involved in something more. The problem is that it never really made sense that Storm was involved. She inserted herself into the situation. In fact, she was targeted almost immediately and that made no sense either. She wasn't a threat. The reading was excellent. ...more
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
Overall this book was good, but I had a very hard time getting into it. I also found it very confusing with the inclusion of all the Hawaiian words. I really like the main character Storm. She is very intelligent and caring, but has a tendance to get herself into scrapes. This book also kept you guessing as to how everything went together to the very end. I think it is definitely a book that mystery lovers would like.
Robert
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
From time to time, it's nice to break away from established reading material, and look into something different. This book has a decent glimps into Hawiian culture. It also has a decently gripping story. And for someone like me who can manage to figure the ending out by the middle of the book, this one thru my for a surprising loop.
Linda
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I like to start a series at the beginning and this wasn't. Maybe I would have liked it better if I knew Storm before this adventure.
It did not make me want to visit Hawaii. Also, I don't understand the
title. Although she did dream about a dead person and ended up doing
what she had said. But really.
Susan
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Due to the subject, it was a more difficult read than the others but it also had a compelling depth to it that makes you want to keep reading until you get to the resolution.

Does anyone know? Will there be anymore books in this series? I hope so.
Naomi Blackburn
Although this book had my 3 favorite "things" in it, Hawaii, books and Scuba Diving, I thought the story fell short and was simply "blah". Unless I need them for challenges, probably won't continue on in the series.
Janet Martin
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had started earlier in this series, but the book was decent as a stand alone--well plotted, good characters, believable detection, and a fine sense of place (Maui). I would give it a 3+ as it doesn't stand out from lots of other competent mysteries, but rounded it up to 4
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting plot twists but parts were very predictable. Don't know if I want to swim near Maui after reading this book.
Sherry
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading!

I got hooked on the first book and kept getting the one after Great to read and keep you guessing
Tammy Flanders
Jean Utley
Dec 28, 2014
Sheila
Feb 05, 2015
Inspired by Tony Hillermans stories of the Navajo, Deborah Atkinsons suspense novels expose not only the dark side of human nature, but the legends and folklore of Hawaii.

Debby lives in Honolulu with her husband and their two sons. A recipient of the University of Hawaii's Meryl Clark Award for Fiction, she is a graduate of the University of Michigan, the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and the author of
More about Deborah Turrell Atkinson...

Storm Kayama (4 books)
  • Primitive Secrets (Storm Kayama, #1)
  • The Green Room (Storm Kayama, #2)
  • Fire Prayer  (Storm Kayama, #3)