Start by marking “Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)” as Want to Read:
Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)

Watching Over Me

(Crime After Crime #1)

Sometimes secrets are better left buried...

Amy Penrose knows how it feels to grow up in a home where your parents harm you more than raise you.

Now an adult, she’s newly qualified as a child psychologist and hopes to help children who’ve gone through struggles of their own.

Published December 5th 2019 by Warwick House Press

To ask other readers questions about Watching Over Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watching Over Me

Start your review of Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
Kathi Defranc
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! OUTSTANDING Psychological Thriller!!! Review To Come When I Can Breathe Again!!!
A thrilling story that once once started can NOT be put down, through amazing twists and ripping scenes, until the surprising end!! A new psychologist, Amy Penrose, lived a very tough life with her obsessive-compulsive mom, and hopes her trials and education will be able to help so many children in hard situations who become her patients. Her office experiences have been stomach churning due to the 'hands
Linda Strong
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

Child Psychologist Amy Penrose has a new client .... a referral from Social Services. Edward and his father, Robert present for their appointment and immediately Amy notices the bruises on the quiet 12-year-old boy.

As she delves into the family’s past, she discovers that the child's mother disappeared 2 years prior and has never been seen or heard from since.

As Edward's father displays his anger, Amy begins to wonder if there is more to the story than what he's telling her. Is Edward
Linda Prather
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The feeling you get when you open a book thinking you’ll read a chapter or two only to find you can’t quit and the morning passes quickly as you continue page after page, chapter after chapter.

Amy Penrose immediately captured my attention and left me in doubt many times to her sanity. Was she the therapist or should she have been the patient? A lot is going on. Doubts about her relationship with Gary, the weekly call with her mother, the touchy feely boss and then a new patient that tugs at
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What’s better than a favourite author bringing a new book out? Two of your favourite author’s bringing one out together! Was very excited with this pairing and could not wait to see what they had come up with.

Right from meeting Amy, it’s obvious that whilst she maybe where she wants to be in her career, the same can’t be said about her relationship. There are certainly signs of cracks showing which deepen when Amy becomes embroiled in her new client, Edward.

I have to say I was as intrigued as
J.A. Schneider
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

What a stunning psychological thriller. Watching Over Me, co-written by two hugely talented authors, is one of those grab-you-fast stories that you won’t want to put down. Amy Penrose, now a child psychologist, grew up knowing too well the horrors of child abuse in her own life. Immediately, she spots trouble when a father brings his young son Edward into her office for treatment. The twelve-year-old is withdrawn and covered with bruises. Amy wants to help.

Her involvement brings trouble. She’s
Simon Farrant
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was keen to read this book. Both Farrar and Comley’s previous books have been favourites of mine, so when I heard that they had jointly written a book... I was very excited.

The setting in the 80s for this book is interesting, and the difference that made over the events had they happened in the current times is crucial.

I definitely recommend this book, with no hesitation at all. It’s a builder of tension, which steals time from you...

I’m keen to read the next book in the series.
Ami-May
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
• Plot

Doctor Amy Penrose is a Psychologist for children\teenagers faced with eating disorders, mental health disorders etc. She became a Psychologist to help children\ teenager patients who like her grew up with a mother who is compulsive, obsessive etc. Her mother still wants a weekly phone call without fail, Amy does so even though she is uncomfortable doing so because of their unhealthy relationship.

Amy is living with Gary her partner although cracks are beginning to show in their
Karolyn
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book is a collaboration between M A Comley and M K Farrar. It’s a psychological thriller series called Crime After Crime, this is book one in that series. Watching Over Me is the title.
It is set in London.

A father brings his twelve year old son into Amy’s office. She instantly recognises the bruises and how the boy withdraws into himself, she wants to help. Edward had been expelled from school as the headteacher finally decided they couldn’t deal with him anymore. He had a history of
Felicity
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cracking book this is. Once started I could not put it down until it was finished. The determination of a young psychologist to get to the bottom of the problems of a young patient, together with weird happenings in her personal life , kept me riveted to the very last page. In this book you have everything and more. From a newly qualified psychologist hoping to make a good impression in her first job, to a broken down relationship where Amy can’t see any future with Gary. She is happy to ...more
Maria Lee
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The pairing of these two brilliant authors is just genius! It is a thrilling read and one I couldn’t put down. The characterisation of Amy Penrose, a young psychologist and her 12–year-old client, Edward, is excellent.

Alongside the story of Amy’s psychologist role, we have the background tale of her relationship with her partner, Gary, and her strange connection with her mother.

All in all, this is a fantastic book and highly recommend. Cannot wait for more.
Dee Groocock
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a child psychologist, Amy Penrose wants to help 12 year old Edward Swain when he turns up with his Dad at her office for an emergency appointment. Amy feels part of the problem lies in the disappearance of Edwards Mum 2 years ago. Did she up and leave or did something more sinister happen? Amy feels something is wrong and is determined to look further into the family.
With this going on, Amy’s relationship with her partner is not working well. Can they sort out their problems? Why does Amy
Jaime Radalyac
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read pretty much all of MA Comley's books but am new to MK Farrar. What an introduction to her. The both of them together know how to make you think and keep you flipping pages.

It's a twisted read, worthy of my ID Channel shows LOL. I don't know whether or not to be excited to meet them one day, or completely scared out of my mind.
If this series was a tv show, I would watch the heck out of it!! Brilliant ladies!!!
Susan Angela Wallace
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watching over me by M.K Farrar and M.A Comley.
Omg. Two of my favourite authors coming together. Couldn't wait to read this. A brilliant twist and suspense read. Didn't let me down. I was pulled in right until the end. Looking forward to reading book 2. 5*. Highly recommended.
Julie Simon
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! So full of suspense it makes it hard to keep reading at times, you find yourself wanting to know what’s going to happen but you’re almost too scared to carry on reading!
Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to more from this great partnership.
Kath
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When two of my favourite authors come together to collaborate on a new series I know it's something I need in my life! And oh my days! What a cracking opener this book turned out to be.
Amy Penrose is a child psychologist. When we first meet her she has just had a referral come in. A young boy, 12yo Edward, has been expelled from school and social services have insisted he get therapy. He comes in with his father for his first appointment and presents as quiet and subdued. He also has bruising
Diane Secchiaroli
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Psychological thriller

A good psychological thriller that has an unsuspecting twist towards the end. Edward is a troubled 12 year old who is expelled from school and needs to go to therapy. His father Robert brings him to a psychotherapist, Amy, who feels there is something wrong in his household. Edward’s mother had supposedly run away from home 2 years prior and Amy thinks this is the root of Edward’s problem along with his probably abusive father. Amy suspects there is something else going on
Jen
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book one in the Crime After Crime series. Meet Amy Penrose, she is a child psychologist now and her dream is to help troubled children. She is not only qualified with her degree but her childhood was not easy so there is actual experience to draw from if need be. Amy has a boyfriend, who wants to get married and have her stay home and raise the children. Her boss wants her to work late but not for work. She gets a new patient, a twelve year old boy that she recognizes his experience and ...more
Livia
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy Penrose is a child psychologist..When Robert Swain brings his 12 year old son Edward to see her..Amy suspects there are deeper issues here ..and finds herself being entangled in what happened to make this child so disruptive. From his past history she finds the boys mother left two years previously ..but with her boss Timothy being a little too hands on , and a boyfriend she is drifting away from ..Amy is just trying to do the best she can for a child that seems lost and alone .But when ...more
Jane
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Meh.

When will some authors realize they need to have some likable, relatable characters? The “heroine” in this easy read is a complete nitwit, yet has advanced degrees in psychology. I wanted to smack some sense into her. Her boyfriend is a grouchy overbearing twit, and the rest of the players are shallow. Pretty predictable. The concept and plot are decent, but could really be fleshed out more. I will try the others in this series, hoping they get better. Glad it was free.
Marla
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This book kept me intrigued and had a very interesting storyline. I enjoyed reading it, but felt like I knew what was going to happen from the beginning. I think the synopsis of the book gave it away - “As she delves into the family’s past, and starts to feel unsafe in her own home, she starts to wonder if this is one child beyond her help.” - They told you who did it before even reading the book. Even though the killer was obvious, the book itself was a good read and I may start the second in ...more
Pat Eroh
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a teacher and I also work part-time in the evenings and summers with children with emotional and behavioral disorders. I see abuse in both fields and I am a mandated reporter (required to report it). I also have a history myself with some abuse as well so this story really struck home with me. Reading this book, I really commiserated with the main character, Amy. I was captured in the beginning and that was it, I was hooked. Now, I am really looking forward to the next book in the series.

I
J.K. Radalyac
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Michelle
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watching Over Me is a book that you don't want to start reading if you can't finish in one day. Amy's story had me captivated and reading non-stop cover to cover. The writing is well done, the characters are intriguing and this riveting psychological thriller is so good there should be a movie made about it. I look forward to reading the next book by this fabulous author duo. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Lin Robertson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really into this story, from the start.
Amy Penrose, the child Psychologist, was there to help children with problems.

We meet a young lad, who was referred by Social workers. Couldn’t help but feel
sorry for him. I really didn’t like his dad.
Amy was determined to find out what was causing his problems.

I was determined to find out why the school had excluded him.
A story that will keep you guessing.
Loved. Can’t wait for the next story.
Katrina Gradias
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Not bad

I have to admit I couldn’t really get into this book until I was like three fourths of the way into it and that’s when the action happens. The characters are great and the idea is great but it was just really slow and hard to hold interest in it. I definitely liked the twist of The Who did it and how it ended though but I was only able to give it a three stars.
Derek Sanderson
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping thriller, a marvellous page turner!!

I enjoyed this book from the first page. It really draws you in and holds your interest. The plot is not complicated, but, in this case, who would care? There is more than enough excitement to keep you reading!As well, derogatory language was minimal, making the experience all the more pleasant.
Nan Christine  Borton-Smith
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid read!

I thought this novel was solid but found the premise of the investigative psychotherapist to be far-fetched. While Dr. Amy Penrose is “new” to private practice, she knows the core values of her profession.. so for me just to far to reach.
The novel has a great storyline and the authors’ characters are interesting.
aymcb
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
The worst book i’ve read. I’m so disappointed i wasted my time on this book. The book was already dragging from the start but I have hope that it will be good in the end, but to my disappointment. I’ve read it for a month because it’s boring in the beginning. It’s a shallow story, the build up of the characters are so weak.. I’m sad i wasted time on this.
Valerie Boik
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down

While the beginning of the book was a little slow, it quickly progressed. About half way through I found I couldn’t put it down. Although the book is kind of creepy, it’s very suspenseful. Overall it’s a really good book.
Billie
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes secrets are better left buried...
When a father brings a twelve-year-old boy into her office, she recognises the bruises and the way the boy withdraws into himself. And she wants to help.
But life is never that simple. With a boyfriend at home who believes her

• It Was Always You
  • Murder at the Hotel
  • Murder by the Sea (The Carmel Cove Cozy Mystery Series Book 3)
  • A Simple Lie
  • Criminal Actions (Hero series Book 5)
  • You Are Mine
  • Justice at Christmas 2
  • The Guilty Spouse: A Private Investigator Mystery Series of Crime and Suspense, Lee Callaway (Unknown Suspect Series Book 21)
  • Deep Dark Secrets
  • The Woman Who Destroyed Christmas
  • Damaged: a heart-stopping psychological thriller
  • What She Forgot
  • Murder At The Wedding
  • She's Missing
  • The Perfect Son
  • Living the Dream
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • Her Last Steps
Pseudonym for author Marissa Farrar.

Crime After Crime (2 books)
  • Down to Sleep (Crime after Crime #2)