Start by marking “After You Fell” as Want to Read:
After You Fell

After You Fell

Creepy, disturbing and genuinely thrilling, this is one page-turner you won’t be able to forget!

As one life ends
Louise Lovett’s death was a tragedy. But questions still swirl about exactly what happened to Louise that day. Did she fall … or was she pushed?

A new life starts
Helen Matthews’ donor heart saves her life. But as her new heart beats inside her, Helen feels the p

Kindle Edition
Published December 13th 2019 by One More Chapter (first published October 31st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about After You Fell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After You Fell

Start your review of After You Fell
San
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Helen Matthews has a medical problem with her heart. When she finally after many years of waiting receives a heart transplant, she is determined to find donor’s family and thank them. But she find devastated family after possible suicide of her donor. Because of, what she believes, her psychic ability to communicate with the dead, she can feel in her new heart that it wasn’t true. Helen becomes obsessed with finding the truth.

This is such an unique suspense story, with great characters, many plo
Bridget
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a brilliant thriller!

Helen Matthews believes she has the ability to communicate with the dead, but her family and friends think otherwise, as she is also bipolar. Having been unwell all her life with a heart condition, she finally receives a donor heart that saves her life. Helen has always known she possesses psychic talents, being able to see the aura of others and to sense their spirit around her, but she has learnt not to share this knowledge with her nearest and dearest - particul
Yvonne
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life hasn’t been easy for Helen Matthews, to say the least. She’s always been sickly, has been diagnosed as bipolar, her boyfriend left her and now she needs a heart transplant. After her surgery, she feels as if someone else is inside her body with her. She’s sure it’s the heart donor. Helen is obsessed on finding out about this person’s life.

She reads through obituaries for people who passed away before her surgery and discovers the heart belonged to Louise Lovett. Louise had a tragic death un
Nursebookie
Oh my goodness!! I LOVED THIS READ!! It is definitely a spine tingling thriller, that gave me goosebumps and that I highly enjoyed very much.

Jane Lark is a new author to me and I am so thrilled to have read this book in this book tour. Her writing style grabs and captivates the reader right from the start. There are so many great things about this book - from the pacing, the writing of the vantage point, the great cast of characters and the amazing plot - that is indeed Lark's absolute genius a
April Taylor
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I like ghost stories and the paranormal, but not when they’re mixed with an otherwise real-world thriller and also come with frequent mentions of spirits, auras, orbs, angels, etc. By the time I reached the 5% mark, I was already rolling my eyes about the main character’s repetitious thoughts and commentary. I really don’t care what color every other character’s aura is.

Those who are attuned to the more woo-woo side of life will probably enjoy this book, but it’s just not for me.

Elaine
This is definitely a very different, enthralling read that I really didn't want to put down.

Helen Matthews has been ill for all her life but a heart transplant gives her the chance to life a fuller, more active life filled with possibilities. Helen has always believed she has psychic talents, being able to see the aura of people and sense spirits around her, but she has learnt not to share these because others do not understand. However, she becomes somewhat obsessed with just who her donor was,
Jen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun- it centers on Helen, who was sick most of her life but receives a heart transplant and becomes obsessed with finding out who the heart came from, then embedding herself in that person's family (Louise is the one that died and Alex is her husband).

It;s no secret that I love an unreliable narrator- Helen talks about ghosts and auras but the reader knows she also suffers from mental issues so you'll go back and forth on determining what is really true. I had alot of thes
Shalini
One life transplanted into the other and connected by the heart.

This was Leslie’s story who died and Helen’s who received the heart. Helen was a bipolar who saw auras, and after careful research, she was sure that the spirit of the heart had a message. And then she made her way into delivering the message.

My first book by author J. S. Lark was embroiled with twists as the story progressed down the pages. The ending was completely fun which took me unaware. Helen as the main character was quite d
Misfits farm
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helen has been given a new heart. She has been ill almost as long as she can remember and this now gives her a new start and maybe more than anything the children she craves. She has just left her live in boyfriend and now lives with her brother and his family. Whilst recuperating she takes it upon herself to try and find out who the donor heart belonged to and being bipolar she gets rather fixated on this and so tells no-one else what she is doing. She inveigles her way into Louise’s family to ...more
Kirsty Bookworm86
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review for 'After you fell' by J.S.Lark
Read and reviewed via NetGalley

This is the first book that I have read by this author and I must say it certainly won't be my last. The storyline was brilliantly thought out and very unique which is just what I love in a book.

The story captured my attention from the beginning and continued to keep me on the edge of my seat throughout the roller-coaster ride. A true page turner.

I would classify this book as a unique, dark psychological thriller with a tou
Tasha Mahoney
After you fell was an outstandingly chilling thriller and I didn't want to even blink. I read as fast as I could and absorbed each word with excitement and suspense. I had to know what happened next.

The pace of this tale kept my interest piqued throughout and excited to get to the end. Of course, then I wished that I had read slower and savoured the story. You can only experience a book for the first time once!

I read a lot of paranormal stories but not many thrillers that have a paranormal aspec
Jessica Belmont
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I had to pick one word to describe After You Fell it would be atmospheric. Gripping, dark, exciting, creepy…really, everything I wanted it to be. J.S. Lark has crafted a brilliant novel that I read in one sitting. I could not put it down.

I love everything about this novel. I’m having a hard time doing this review because I honestly just want to pick the novel back up. It’s so good. I think you should just take my word for it and grab yourcopy.

This novel is going on my favorites of 2019 list.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love to discover new authors and I especially love discovering books that give me the heebie jeebies. I know that sounds bad but I don’t mean it that way. If I enjoy a story so much that it sends a shiver or ten down my spine, then I know that’s a sign of a good book. I read the synopsis for ‘After Your Fell’ and it certainly sounded like a different sort of read and I mean that in the nicest possible way. For me, the synopsis made the book stand out from others in the same genre. I ...more
Lynn Cheryl
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review
Helen Matthews is given a new lease of life. This sickly woman who has been ill as long as she can remember receives a donor heart, allowing her to finally make plans and have hope for the future. She believes she can communicate with the dead, so it's important to her to find out about the person who's heart beats inside her…

The death of a woman, falling from a car park. How did it happen? Is it a suicide, an accident or was the poor victim pushed?

The author keeps the pace as we count the days
Sharon
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This chilling novel with a twisted plot and startling end has blown me away!  I was holding my breath throughout while Helen's life kept getting more and more entangled and complex.

The need for love in humans is a terrible thing. It destroys people. It has tried to destroy me lots of times. I need others. I need to belong. I need to be wanted. I need to be needed.

Helen Matthews had suffered many years waiting for a heart and when she finally receives one she is determined to thank the donor'
Julia
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
After You Fell has a very intriguing premise and is a slow-burning and claustrophobic tale of obsessions.

Helen is our – for various reasons – somewhat unreliable narrator and the inside of Helen’s head is often an uncomfortable and unusual place to be. The book is full of descriptive prose and I very much felt I was there with Helen and the other characters throughout their collective journey. There is a lot of emotion in the book and I sympathised with many of the feelings and thoughts, which w
Lisa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen Matthews has been sick most of her life. It's the reason her and her brother Simon ended up in foster care. When Helen is finally lucky enough to get a heart transplant what should be the start of a new life turns into the start of an obsession. You see, Helen believes she is psychic and can talk to the dead. Her family and friends think this is all a manifestation of her bipolar disorder.
Louise Lovett falls from the top of a car-park and ends up being the donor heart that Helen needs to ...more
Billie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As one life ends
Louise Lovett’s death was a tragedy. But questions still swirl about exactly what happened to Louise that day. Did she fall … or was she pushed?
A new life starts
Helen Matthews’ donor heart saves her life. But as her new heart beats inside her, Helen feels the pull of its previous owner – despite what everyone is telling her, Helen is certain she has one final message to pass on.
And a dark obsession begins
As the lives of Helen and Louise become ever more entangled, Helen’s obsessi
Lorraine
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
After You Fell took me on a great, atmospheric and unpredictable rollercoaster ride,

Helen Matthews believes she's psychic, but her family and friends think it's because she’s bipolar. When Helen receives a new heart from Louise’s Lovett, she makes a connection with the donor, who died in a fall. Helen becomes obsessed with discovering whether Louise's fall was accidental, suicide or murder. Helen has to deceive her own family and friends as she becomes more and more involved with Louise's family
Kayleigh Brown
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow what a book! It really packs a punch, it has so much going on. A new heart a new start. Having lived with a heart condition all her life Helen receives a donor heart and life can really begin. Simply wanting to find the donor's family to thank them turns to obsession. The author really delved into this characters mind and told her story and all the raw elements of human experience from all points of you in a chilling yet captivating way that you yourself become obsessed with were the story w ...more
Claire
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-book
#poorpoorHelen. What a bar steward of an ex she’s got. Thank goodness she has brother Simon and bestie Chloe to help her recover from her life changing heart transplant. I can’t imagine how it must be knowing you’ve got part of another human inside of you. Can it affect you?

As the story developed, Helen’s narrative became more unreliable. I’ve been cooped up and housebound following a major surgery and during maternity leave so I sympathised with her overactive imagination. But then she starts t
Kathleen Gray
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen Matthews has a newly transplanted heart and the conviction that the donor- Louise Lovett- is trying to tell her something. Told in Helen's voice this is the story of a woman with mental health as well as physical health issues who sets off to find out whether her donor fell or was pushed to her death. Is Helen a reliable narrator? Well, she sees auras, she's sure she's got psychic capabilities, and she's becoming obsessed with Alex Lovett, Louise's husband, and their children. She's also n ...more
Vikkie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been an interesting read away from my usual genre. This was definitely a book that kept me thinking about it after I was finished.
I’m not going to give any spoilers but the way the lives of Helen and Louise become tangled, really engaged me and kept me gripped.
This is definitely well written and kept me hooked from the beginning. I found I was sucked in and couldn’t put it down.
This is my first read by this author, but I’m certain it won’t be the last. I really enjoyed this chilling sto
Sue
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
After you Fell is a tale of obsession, in this case with the children of a widower, following his wife’s death.
Helen has always been unwell and at last received a new heart, but with the heart comes the sixth sense that the donor is living on within her and is out to cause trouble.
It’s hard to say too much without giving anything away, but for me it wasn’t so much page-turning as too long and drawn out. I didn’t like Helen, which didn’t help either.
Give me ‘The Twins’ by the same author any d
Kimberly
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Gallery and Harper Collins Publishing for providing a free digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Wow, just as I thought I was right about the ending, I am proven wrong on the very last page. A fast passed thriller that follows heart transplant patient Helen on a journey that some might just say is crazy. While I felt a few parts in the middle of the book were a little blah, overall a good book. Looking forward to more thriller from L.S Lark.
Lynette
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well after reading the other reviews, it seems to be just me who didn't particularly enjoy this novel! I liked the idea of it and the ending but oh it seemed to be such a tedious ride getting there! I really did find it rather boring and that it took a long time to go anywhere fast . At the same time, it did arise my curiosity enough to keep reading, so can't have been all bad! ...more
Jill Burgin
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really clever and interesting read. Helen needs a new heart and her donor died in a tragic way. So why does Helen feel the need to follow her new heart and investigate the death of Louise? A thrilling suspenseful story that I really enjoyed.
Donna Ryan
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My children

While reading this book, I just thought Helen was kind of a psycho. But by the end I felt so much more aware if bipolar disease. The last chapter had quite a twist. Highly recommend.
Fiona BookWorm4Life
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Saw one of the twists but not the other. I liked that things got sorted. I like having it tie up in a neat package at the end.
Marie Inglee
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story was very riveting but much too slow and long in parts.

• The Passengers
  • Unfollow Me
  • The Retreat
  • Hunter's Force (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #3)
  • The Child On Platform One: Inspired by the children who escaped the Holocaust
  • Regretting You
  • Proximity: If the police always know where I am... How do I kill you?
  • Lost Shadows: A Novel
  • The Stranger in Our Bed
  • New Beginnings At Glendale Hall (Glendale Hall, #2)
  • Earl of Darby (Once Upon A Widow, #4)
  • Rabbit Heart
  • Only You
  • Awa and the Dreamrealm (Dreamweavers, #1)
  • The Scorched Earth