Start by marking “Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America” as Want to Read:
Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America

Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America

(Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)

The latest installment of the multimillion-selling Killing series is a gripping journey through the American West and the historic clashes between Native Americans and settlers.

The bloody Battle of Tippecanoe was only the beginning. Its 1811 and President James Madison has ordered the destruction of Shawnee warrior chief Tecumsehs alliance of tribes in the Great Lakes
Published September 15th 2020 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published May 12th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Crazy Horse, please sign up.
Sharon Tabor Considering that this generation is the most coddled in history, and are expected to achieve adulthood without knowing what being an adult actually…moreConsidering that this generation is the most coddled in history, and are expected to achieve adulthood without knowing what being an adult actually means, exposure to the worst part of life isn't a bad thing. You read it and decide.(less)

Start your review of Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America
Jeanette
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up for the historic accuracy. This one is disappointing. Not titled accurately either. First half is horrific histories of earlier periods. Second half reflects the title. Too wide a subject for this style of telling for me. ...more
Robert Melnyk
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book about the history of westward expansion and the conflicts between the Native Americans and the White American settlers. Although the title is "Killing Crazy Horse", the book is a lot more than just about the Indian warrior Crazy Horse. It is a history of much of the conflict with a number of Indian tribes from the earliest days of our country through the late 1800s. I have read quite a bit about this subject, and although many people paint the picture that all the Native ...more
Nathan Kwandras
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I was excited for this book. I have always enjoyed Oreileys Killing series. So I have to admit I am disappointed. I know that the book is supposed to be a broad look at Americas wars with Native American tribes, but when you read it, you can plainly see that the authors went into writing this with the intention of focusing on Custers last stand. If thats the case they should have focused on Custer, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, and Grant. The first 50% of the book covers a wide range of topics from ...more
Gerri
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five plus stars for a fantastic read! What a great novel about American history. As always with all the OReilly/Dugard books I so enjoyed and appreciated the many footnotes, the fantastic maps and then the Bibliography. Ive read many books about this period in our history and feel this one is the most honest and accurately written but also the most graphically violent in portraying the truth. Having read all the books in the Killing series Id put this at the top of the list as a favorite.

Christina Stroff
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
History....ugh...breaks your heart. Excellent research and delved into a part of history I dont often read about. ...more
~Bellegirl91~
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, first of all I just want to say the only reason this was hard for me to read was mainly because my grandpa who died January of this year (2020) had and read all these Killing books except for Killing the SS (Nazi officers of post-WWII) and now to get this new Bill OReilly, it made me want to cry overall because I cant physically talk to him about my excitement over this book and how amazingly well written it was. But to also get his full opinion on such matters on both sides of the coin of ...more
Shawn Durham
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, audio-books
Like ever other book in this series, I loved it!
Adrienne
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars listened via Libby

Finally, a Bill O'Reilly book NOT narrated by Bill O'Reilly. I have been dying to read his books but just cannot take his voice (or him for that matter). This book was equally eye opening and depressing. I now fully support the dismantling of certain statues around the US not only due to the treatment of African Americans but also the treatment of American Indians. I personally will spit on any statue I see of George Custer. It is AWFUL what man did to Indians. Like,
Scott
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another engaging and exciting look into a rather unsavory part of American history. Although the title references Crazy Horse, it's more of an overview of American-Indian relations over a span of nearly 100 years as American continues a westward expansion across the continent. It's a part of history that I wasn't too familiar with, aside from the names of people and battles, so it was a good, cohesive account.

Of all the books I've read on Native Americans, and frankly of all of O'Reilly's
Jordan Anderson
Despite OReillys blowhard style and clear narcissism, not to mention his penchant for being sexually inappropriate with his coworkers, you have to hand it to him (and Duggard) for authoring a series that is incredibly readable and gives more information in a single book than I learned in basic American History.

Killing Crazy Horse continues the tradition that OReilly and Duggard have been doing for the past 8 books, writing history in a way that reads like a mix of David McCoulough and Clive
Brent Soderstrum
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read all of the the "Killing" series and I enjoy how the authors give you nuggets of little unknown facts sprinkled in the rendition you have probably heard before. I am a big history fan. You need to know the stories of our country and O'Reilly and Company know how to spin the tale in an enjoyable way.

This book focuses on Native Americans, or Indians, and our treatment of them from the early 1800's till Chief Joseph and the last independent tribe was placed on a reservation in the lat
Blue Morse
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Like all of the Killing series this is another entertaining read. However, the title is somewhat misleading, as it should be Killing the Native Americans as the book is more of a broad description of US-Native American tensions, beginning in 1813 with the Fort Mims massacre and ending in 1890 when the American frontier is officially closed. Was a little disappointed Crazy Horse, Custer and Little Bighorn did not receive more of the spotlight as both the title and cover imply. Overall while its a ...more
Margaret
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nothing new here. O'Reilly neither sheds new light on events as they occurred nor does he provide much commentary on the social injustices which brought about the Native Americans plight during the westward expansion.

If you haven't read much of the history, then this bare-bones account would be a good start.
Scott Zichos
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing maps!!
John
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.65, if I may be so granular. I felt the last 1/3 of the book - including the coverage of the the titular character - was not as interesting as the first 2/3.

I did learn a couple of interesting things about Howard University and the Oklahoma Sooners in the closing pages, however.

On a personal note, the fort mentioned in chapter two where William Weatherford surrendered to Andrew Jackson, Fort Toulouse, is just a few miles from my birthplace.

Bonus editing error catch: in chapter 26, there is
Carrie Daws
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book, in part born from the fact that a dear friend was born Lakota. The authors didn't shy away from the reality of war or some of the horrific things done, and as such, I caution sensitive or younger readers. But it felt like a reasonably balanced view of events. The authors did well avoiding commentary, adding in important footnotes in appropriate areas. It's a good addition to the series.
Michael
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Perhaps I should have given it more stars, because it was well written, and seems to be well researched. But there is just nothing to like about the story. Its a tale of people treating others atrociously because they see each other as different.

What I find even more disturbing is that after a year of protests, and riots, by people who still feel marginalized by society. It seems like we have made no progress as a society in the 150 plus years since most of the events in this book took place.
Kat
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting history of the Indian wars. Lots of names and places, which became a bit confusing, but adding personality tidbits and background helped the history come alive.
Janine
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Definitely not my favorite book of the Killing series, but I found it interesting enough. I listened to it, and I was audibly gagging during some of the violent scenes. ...more
Janet Monks
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a terrific read! Brings you back to American history and what really took place.
Lydia Granda
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an eye opener! I have been educated on the Indian wars, Custer, Deadwood and the various brave Indian chiefs. I love Bill O'Reilly's writing style, he takes history and turns it from what could be boring to a book that you simply can't put down nor get out of your head. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have many of his others.
Recommend for anyone with an interest in our countries history told in an open honest way portraying both sides as they really were using well researched facts.
Robert Lester
Sadly disappointed. You could spend an entire book on this subject, but the author jumps all over the history of conflict between the Indians and the US Government. If I am correct the original title was Killing Custer, then was changed to Killing Crazy Horse. Even a book devoted to Crazy Horse would have been a great read.
Claudia
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The latest in O'Reilly and Dugard's Killing series, this one takes on the conflict between the U.S. government with the native indigenous population. As we already know, the arrogance of the white settlers who saw the Indian way of life with it's minimal impact on the environment and resources as their being lazy, indolent, ignorant and wasteful when there was money to be made either with widespread hunting of native animals, mining for gold and silver or even not utilizing the land to its ...more
Helen
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the first of the "Killing" series that I've read, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I give Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard credit for having done a ton of research and presenting it in an entertaining and readable way. I also think it's a good thing if the popularity of the series means that people learn about the Indian wars who only knew about them from movies and TV. However, I don't really care to read so much about battle strategy and which troops went where.

As many have pointed out,
David
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America by Bill O'Reilly is the latest addition to the "Killing..." series by Bill O'Reilly of which I believe I have read most or all of them. As I have stated in previous reviews, I am not a fan of the author's interviewing skills, as a host he has a bad habit of asking a question and then interrupting his guest who is attempting to answer. But the written word does not have that problem. Having said that, the author is a former college history ...more
Richard West
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again former Fox TV news personality and partner Martin Dugard take a look at American history in their highly successful "Killing" series. And it's not just about Crazy Horse as indicated by the title, what we get is a look at how the American politicians put the screws to the American Indian (or native American if you prefer) almost from the beginning.

It was always about land, land, land and in the mid-1800's, land where there was gold. Broken treaties, promises not kept - it's no small
Mike
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is an attempt to show the plight of the American Indian during the 19th Century. O'Reilly no doubt had his reasons for choosing the Tribes and battles that he did. He begins with the destruction of the Creek tribe and proceeds to cover the Trail of Tears and the destruction of the Sauk Indians. He describes the destruction of the Apache, though it seems a bit muddled at points as does his writing on the Comanche tribe. The sections on the Sioux is fairly good. The Nez Perce and ...more
Bob Ryan
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. O'Reilly/Dugard covers the period from the Creek Wars in 1813 to the surrender of Chief Joseph in 1877. Covering 60 years of history in 300 pages means a lot of it gets covers superficially. After the first descriptions of the brutality of the Indians and the Army that was fine with me. I'm not sure why the details of various battles were necessary, maybe that was Dugard's contribution, reading the US Army's historical record of these battles. I listened to the audio version. ...more
Stephanie Burkhart
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of O'Reilly and Dugard's "Killing" series books, so I was looking forward to the latest installment, "Killing Crazy Horse." This book is a poignant read and a hard, stinging look at the American/Indian wars picking up in 1813 and carrying through the 1880's.

The Revolutionary War is over, and now American settlers are venturing west. The Monroe Doctrine has challenged a nation to explore the continent and settlers go, only to find Native American Tribes already settled and comfortable.
Chad Simons
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
They should have titled this book "Killing Pretty Much Everyone From The Time Period Surrounding the Indian Wars."

( I do not use Indian with any sense of derogatory meaning in this review.)

Crazy Horse is a very small part of this book that is page after page of ambush, massacre, and the most inhumane of fighting on both sides. Indians were horrible to settlers and soldiers, soldiers and settlers were horrible towards the Indians. Treacherous, deviant, backstabbing (literally and figuratively)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Merle Haggard's My House of Memories: For the Record
  • Dead Sleep
  • Apropos of Nothing
  • Land of Wolves
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Dead Time (Hank Fallon #3)
  • The Land Beyond the Sea
  • They Came to Kill (Preacher & MacCallister #2)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • The Backstabbers (Red Ryan #2)
  • The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • Rising Fire (The Jensen Brand #3)
  • Shot to Hell (Perley Gates Western #4)
  • Pray for Death (Will Tanner #6)
  • Rope Burn (Those Jensen Boys! #5)
  • Killer Take All (MacCallister: The Eagles Legacy, #10)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan, #19)
  • Legends of Hollywood: The Life of Woody Allen
Bill O'Reilly's success in broadcasting and publishing is unmatched. The iconic anchor of The O'Reilly Factor led the program to the status of the highest rated cable news broadcast in the nation for sixteen consecutive years. His website BillOReilly.com is followed by millions all over the world.

In addition, he has authored an astonishing 12 number one ranked non-fiction books including the

Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series (9 books)
  • Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (The Killing of Historical Figures)
  • Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot (The Killing of Historical Figures)
  • Killing Jesus: A History
  • Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General
  • Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)
  • Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan