Start by marking “Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology” as Want to Read:
Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology

Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology

For fans of American Horror Story, Shirley Jackson, and Creepshow.

You know them. Those girls that aren't quite like everyone else. Those girls who stand out in the crowd. Those girls that dare to be different. Those girls are dangerous.

In Strange Girls, twenty-one authors dare to tackle what makes the girls in this collection different. Vampires, selkies, murderous
Paperback, First , 272 pages
Published February 18th 2020 by Twisted Wing Productions

To ask other readers questions about Strange Girls, please sign up.
Azzurra Nox I believe there should be an option to add the book to your list, if you're having trouble shoot an email to the goodreads IT peeps and they can fix…moreI believe there should be an option to add the book to your list, if you're having trouble shoot an email to the goodreads IT peeps and they can fix it up for you!(less)

Start your review of Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology
Robin Bonne
I love anthologies of women writers and I love horror, so of course Im going to pick up a book that combines both. I decided to rate each individual story and average them together for my final rating of 3.09. Overall, these stories were quite entertaining. Although I enjoyed some stories more than others, it was a solid collection and I would recommend it to people that enjoy horror.

24 Hour Diner by Charlotte Platt, 2/5 - a guy meets a girl in a diner, they exchange some awkward dialogue. One
Amber
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author, publisher, and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Do you like Vampires, creepy dolls, things that go bump in the night and more? Then this short story collection is for you. Its a short story collection about strange girls in horrifying situations. Want to read more? Check this book out for yourself and find out.

I thought this horror short story anthology for Women in Horror month was good. Out of all of the stories featured
Kristy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Twisted Wing Productions for a free e-copy of Strange Girls in exchange for an honest review.**

I really, really wanted to like this anthology. Unfortunately, it just fell short for me. A majority of the stories were mediocre at best and not even very scary or creepy. There were also quite a few typos and grammatical errors throughout. Such a bummer!
KC
A digitized ARC of this collection was provided by the author/publisher through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the work in any way.

24 Hour Diner - Seductive and steamy, though it suffers from confusing storytelling at points.
Sideshow - Dark, horrifying, and unrestrained in its subject matter. One of my favorites.
The Doll's House - Okay, but falls short of its potential through inadequate information and a handful of grammatical/syntax errors.
Blood
Corissa Buehner
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Strange Girls," edited by Azzurra Nox is an interesting and unique horror anthology. I was given the opportunity to receive an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The tales of this anthology center around so-called strange girls and is a collection written entirely by women. This alone made me interested in the collection as women are often needlessly left out of the horror genre, both as authors and as main characters. It is largely a male-driven genre.

Going into
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
February is Women of Horror Month!
"I myself am strange and unusual."

Overall some great stories in here, some enjoyable ones that needed more, and only a few that wasted my time.

24 Hour Diner by Charlotte Platt ⭐⭐⭐
-vampire
Sideshow by Jude Reid⭐⭐⭐⭐
-Remember boys, if a girl doesn't say YES she is saying no, even when she says nothing at all.
The Doll's House by Alyson Faye⭐⭐⭐
-crazy Franny running the house
Blood by Claire Hamilton Russell⭐⭐
-I feel this story is unfinished, might be better as a
Kim
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I made some reading goals for 2020, besides setting my Goodreads goal at 100 books this year, I also want to read more horror and anthologies. When Strange Girls : Women in Horror Anthology curated by Azzurra Nox, popped up on social media, I was super excited. Not only is the book horror and an anthology, but every one of the stories is written by women, which is a wonderful bonus!

All the stories were good, but some were great. The ones that really stood out to me were; Leda and the Fly by
Greyson | Use Your Words
When I requested this book I was super excited. I love anthologies and an anthology about strange girls in the horror genre sounded interesting. Unfortunately this book was a disappointment.

I got about 30% of the way through before I knew for certain I didn't want to waste my time any longer.

A few of the stories just didn't make sense, even when they were nothing but an info dump and some of the dialogue was really clunky. Add on top of that a story where the author seems to misgender their own
amanda
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
ts unfortunate that this is a book that has more misses than hits.

This collection of stories seems undone as though held up by a single strand and slowly its unraveling.

A few of these stories are well done and creepy but a majority are meh and left me confused if anything.

I ultimately had to DNF at the 42% mark.. This would be a great book for young adults just getting into horror perhaps.

Thanks very much to Netgalley and the publisher for this copy of my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
I couldnt pass up this women-in-horror anthology! What especially intrigued me was that I had never read any of these authors before, and I am always on the lookout for new authors to watch.

That said, I didnt enjoy this collection. I gave each story a try, but I ended up skimming at least half of them. There wasnt much in them for me to sink my teeth into and get invested.

There were also issues with the editing that I felt were unnecessary and should have been resolved, from grammar and styling
Victoria
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this big chunky book full of horror! These are A list stories and I have discovered new authors to look up and add to my never ending tbr list.

February is Women in Horror Month where we celebrate all the amazing female authors and their scary stories.

Having read tons and tons and tons of horror, not a whole lot can scare me and I felt uncomfortable and nervous in quite a few of these.

Thank you Netgalley for being awesome and letting me grab this ARC
Rachel
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love horror anthologies and this was one of the better ones. There was only one story I hated. That being said, one of the best is "Sideshow". It really held my attention. I love that these were written by all women. Usually I just go for the male writers like Stephen King or Dean Koontz. This really is a must read for women who like horror.
Alyson Rhodes
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I do have a story in this anthology; but I will not be commenting on that one obviously. This was a varied and mixed anthology, with stories ranging from horror, to YA fantasy, with magic and what I think of as more 'extreme' content, all included. There were some stories which did not click or sit with me as well as others, but that is often the case in anthologies I've found. Three I particularly enjoyed, all were strong and well written were Charlotte Platt's opener, 24 Hour Diner and the ...more
Sage Knightly
Michaela (Journey into Books)
This is a horror Anthology written by women and focuses on female characters. This collection is ful of creepy and unusual stories that really showcase the talent of women in the horror genre. Like most anthologies some of these stories fell a little flat for me however, others I loved such as "The Doll's House", "The Eyes of the Dead" and "Cracked".

Overall, I gave this 3 out of 5 stars.
Marleen
24 Hour Diner by Charlotte Platt - 2 stars
Pretty basic story, didnt bring anything new or interesting or particularly scary to the table.

Sideshow by Jude Reid - 5 stars
Original, loved the message and how it played out

The Dolls House by Alyson Faye - 3 stars
Yep, pretty creepy. Way too easy/cheesy of an ending though.

Blood by Claire Hamilton Russell - 2 stars
Yes, female-centered and positive, but too short to make anything of it. Not quite spoopy either

Self-Portrait with Pears by Rachel Bolton -
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This will be available on February 18th.

Theres a reason Im posting this review so far ahead of the books release date: it is really, really bad. I hate posting a negative review right before a release date, so Im posting this earlier. My final feeling on this anthology is: YUCK.

I went into this book with excitement, looking forward to horror stories where women are
Stephanie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology, edited by Azzurra Nox is a collection of tales by female writers with, in theory, women as the main characters of the story. The genres spanned recognised horror tropes but also veered into fantasy and YA which might not suit all tastes. From the title, I was hoping for dark tales with strong, central female characters. Unfortunately, a number of them had the male as the lead character with the female very much as the supporting role, even if they did ...more
Tamera
I really wanted to love this book. As a horror-loving feminist, it seemed right up my alley.

While some of the stories were gripping and fun to read, others felt completely incomplete (as if they just leave off) and the majority are in need of some serious editing. From basic grammar and punctuation - to the not so basic. I found myself highlighting things I wanted to fix way too often, editor's brain kicked into overdrive.

For example, I was really enjoying Personal Demons by Angelique Fawns,
Lisa Ann Kissane
It took me a while to really enjoy this book as the range of writing was so vast. There were some flash fiction stories of 1 or 2 pages as well as some longer tales that I could really get my teeth into (pun intended!)

Reading a book written exclusively by women was, understandably, rather empowering and this is something I would definitely like to see more of, so hats off to Azzurra Nox for putting this together.

In terms of the content itself, it was very hit or miss, with some stories being
Sara
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
24 Hour Diner - 2 stars, awkward writing but fun premise

Sideshow - 4 Stars, a solid story that really fit the collection

The Doll's House - 4 Stars, another good one.

Blood - 2 Stars. A very short fantasy story that just sort of ... stops.

Self-Portrait with Pears - 3 Stars. Well-written but I didn't really get how this fit the collection's theme.

Personal Demons - 1 Star. Liked the non-binary character, but wow that writing was bad.

Friends with Benefits - 2 Stars. Very cheesy, not well-written.

Juan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, short-stories
The average of my ratings for these stories came out to a 2.8, which I rounded up to 3 just because it came so close.

With any anthology theres always going to be some hits and some misses, however I found many of these stories fell in the just okay range for me, which made it hard to want to press through to get to the few stories that truly stood out. Many of these stories play off common horror/monster tropes and just dont put enough of an original twist on it. I could guess the plot of at
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Anthologies are usually a lot of fun for me. I love that authors can create within the confines of the short story. I was expecting Strange Girls to be similar to Betty Bites Back, a female-centric feminist anthology that I recently read. Betty Bites Back featured women who were fed up with the misogyny of the system and were "biting back". Azzurra Nox, who selected all the stories in Strange Girls, also had a story featured in Betty Bites Back.

Unfortunately, while I enjoyed all of the stories
Annette Jordan
A mixed bag of stories, some better than others, but all with a common theme of women who are a little bit different and sometimes very dangerous. The book contains stories of magical creatures like vampires and mermaids as well as more traditional horror fare like possessed dolls. The quality of the writing is very variable, some stories were very well crafted while others left a lot to be desired. Particular standouts for me were The Dolls House and Night Terrors. The Eyes of the Dead while ...more
Georgi_Lvs_Books
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
And in a world where everyday womens choices are dwindling or are at stake, this anthology serves to celebrate these girls choices

This is a short story collection containing 22 stories.

I rated each story individually:

* 24 hour Diner - 2.5⭐
* Jennys Bono - 1⭐
* Extinguishing Fireflies - 2.5⭐
Amy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a strange girl. I am also currently reading Shirley Jackson, Joyce Carol Oates, and Neil Gaiman.
I found the Gothic genre this year. It brings me an unsettling glee. Atmospheric. This genre builds a suspension of reality that slowly blossoms from the cocoon as reality.
I absolutely love anthologies and this book delivered. Yes, some stories came up short. Does not mean that they did not hold merit.
Complete enjoyment.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this digital ARC in return for
Carola | booksanddpaws
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*I received a copy from NetGalley. All thought and opinions are my own.

When I saw this book I thought I would give anthologies a try.
I always wondered how short stories could be fun to read, as it was so short.
I gave this book a fair try, but I had to force myself to continue reading.
It is not the stories that are not interesting, but that I don't like the stories to be so short.
I feel like I'm just reading random scenes from bigger books, and it makes me uneasy that this is all there is to the
Shay
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That cover... gorgeous!!!

As with most anthologies, this one was hard to rate because the writing and content was as diverse as the 20+ authors who included a piece. Even though I definitely didn't know what to expect from the title, I think my favorite had to be Jenny's Bobo by Hillary Lyon. Other stand outs include Patterns of Faerytales and A Song Only She Can Hear (great title, and I'm always team mermaid!).
Shereen
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was wonderfully given this title from Netgalley and the publisher to give my honest opinion.
*******************************************************************************
I really enjoyed this book of short horror shorts. However there were only a few that I was not able to go to sleep after reading them since it creeped me out a bit to much, which kept me reading more of the book. There was one that I wished there was more to the story to understand it a little better. I would recommend this
Julia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this book!
This anthology is a pretty mixed bag. Some of the stories are definitely creepy and atmospheric while others I could not understand what was supposed to be so horrifying. I can appreciate the variety of horror included. It was not just campfire ghost stories but also had some sci-fi and fantasy. The book was pretty inclusive with representation which was refreshing to see in the horror genre.
The cover is absolutely gorgeous!
My personal

• The Only Good Indians
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Nineteen
  • Taaqtumi: An Anthology of Arctic Horror Stories
  • Hollow
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • True Crime
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Quiet Boy
  • The Twin
  • The Water Voices: A Paranormal Thriller
Born in Catania, Sicily, she has led a nomadic life since birth. She has lived in various European cities and Cuba, and currently resides in the Los Angeles area. Always an avid reader and writer from a young age, she loved entertaining her friends with ghost stories. She loves horror movies, cats, and a good rock show. She dislikes Mondays and chick-flicks. CUT HERE, her debut paranormal urban ...more