Start by marking “Making the Call” as Want to Read:
Making the Call

Making the Call

Dani
As a bestselling romance author, most assume my life’s glamorous, filled with combustible chemistry, and most of all, romance. Ha! I can only wish. With a deadline looming, I’ve escaped to my family’s cabin on Anderson Island to free myself from distractions. My plan's great, until a man, who could pass as a cover model on one of my books, comes to my rescue. Is there
Published April 14th 2020 by Amanda Shelley

To ask other readers questions about Making the Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Call

Start your review of Making the Call
lazybookconqueror
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020books
Dani and Luke are spending some time on the tiny Anderson Island. Luke just got the promotion of his life, he's now the youngest head coach on the league. Dani is a romance novelist writing under the name Charlotte Ann, and she needs all the time and focus to keep up with her deadlines.

On a morning that Luke is jogging through the island, he spots a woman falling from her bike. After he helps her, the meet-cute leads to a relationship between both.

Luke and Dani have great chemistry, but nothing
jos  (sportschicreads)
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

This was a low angst romance without a ton of action. The drama was basically nonexistent. I was waiting to feel something but I never really connected.
I think I was expecting something else. Or maybe something more.

It was interesting to read about an romance author falling in love.

The book was on the shorter end but I took longer to read it. I think that says everything.

This was my first book by the author.

I kind of wish we’d get more sport romances about coaches in general.
Johnaka- Amity Book Blog
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Making the Call by Amanda Shelley
“the author and the coach, 5 stars”

I have never read Shelley before; in fact, I’ve never heard of her before. But I can tell you that she is officially on my follow list. I adored Making the Call. It’s a sweet story that goes by fast. I swear it was like I started one minute and the next it was over. Shelley hit all the sweet spots a romance story needs. There was heat, there were ups and downs. The secondary characters perfectly supported the main characters. I
Jenifer Briggs
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This book definitely has some sweet moments and was really low on drama and angst, but I just couldn't connect to the characters. I'm happy that Dani and Luke got their HEA, but it took me so long to get into the storyline, and by the time the book was basically over.

I can definitely see why many people who pick up this book will love it, but it just wasn't for me.

**I received an ARC of this book and these are my honest opinions!**
Amy [Book Addict Reviews]
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Shelley is a new to me author and I can’t wait to read more from her in the future. The idea behind this book is what drew me to it. A romance author and a head football coach. Two people who seem so different from each other but they work so well together.

Dani and Luke meet on their small little island. When Dani doesn’t recognize Luke, he doesn’t give her all the details of who he is and what is job is. He loves the idea that this woman likes him for him, not for his money or career. H
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

Making The Call was a fun and cute read and I enjoyed the soft and easy flow of this book. I was intrigued by the premise of this story; a romance author and a head football coach. Two people, who on paper, are so different from each other but somehow they fit so well together.

Overall, this book was a great, light filled with a lot of sweetness and plenty of swoon with low drama and angst. The characters are made for each other from the start, and I loved how the secondary characters
Britt The Hatters
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

If you’re looking for a sweet low angst escape Amanda Shelley has got you covered with Making The Call. I’m sure for a ton of readers this will be a fantastic five star read and I genuinely wish that was the case for me but as much as I can objectively say I know tons of people will LOVE this, it just wasn’t the perfect book for me.
The writing itself is great, it’s clear this author knows how to tell a story I just couldn’t really connect with the characters. Especially Danika. I felt
Ebook Enthusiast
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Making The Call – Amanda Shelley – 4 stars

Making The Call is a new book by author Amanda Shelley. It follows Luke a young head coach of the Rainier Renegades and romance writer Danika. Luke and Danika have an instant connection, when they have a chance meeting on Anderson Island the chemistry is felt by both. Danika is living her dream as an author, she has everything she ever wanted, she just escaped to her grandparent’s place on Anderson Island to edit her newest book and start on a new series
Kari Hansen
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Becoming a professional football coach is everything that Luke has always dreamed of, but it also carries a lot of pressure. He decides to spend some time at Anderson Island so he can focus on ensuring that he is prepared for the beginning of the season and all it entails but meeting Dani becomes a game changer.

Dani plans on using her time on Anderson Island to meet her writing goals and not be distracted but the one thing she hadn’t planned on was Luke. The more time they spend together the mor
K.  Ramjohn
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Making The Call, the latest novel by Amanda Shelley is a sweet, easy to read romance with low drama and angst. I liked the idea of a romance author and a head football coach as the main characters as they seem to be so different yet fit so well together. I enjoyed watching the romance develop between Luke and Dani , they had great chemistry from the moment they met and this was a story of insta lust/love and how these two can merge their lives and really be there for each other with the demands ...more
Taya
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the characters, Luke and Dani you couldn't help but fall in love with both of them and fall in love with how they came together.
This book is on the sweet side that's why 4 stars, there's no drama but its also refreshing to read,well in my case.
Luke is now the youngest coach in the NFL, and Dani is an indie romance author who both go to Anderson Island for no distractions from the outside world such as the media.
They meet while Luke is out jogging and she had cras
The Book Lover
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, sexy and romantic story, it felt fast paced to me, but it worked for the story and the characters.
Apr 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 24%

I tried with this one. I really tried.

Generally, I enjoy when an author sets the scene or explains an action. But it's also possible to do this too much.

This book, instead of saying they had potatoes, asparagus and steak for dinner tells you that they grill the steak, cut the potatoes, get a pan with water and boil them. And that then they get the asparagus out of the refrigerator, cut it up, and put it in a pan to steam it.

I don't need that much information. And it actually pulls me
Menotah (Canadian Girl Book Blog)
description

Luke has just found out that he is being promoted to head coach of the Reiner Renegades, has become the youngest coach in NFL history and has some huge shoes to fill so he heads to his home on Anderson Island for a much-needed break before the season begins. While out for his morning run he witnesses a woman crashes her bike and runs to see if he can help her. Dani is so frustrated when she wrecks her bike and her hands are all scraped up because now she's going to have issues with getting her
Suzana
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

*ARC kindly provided by the author and I’m leaving an honest review*

Amanda Shelley is a new to me author and Making The Call is my first book by her but certainly will not be the last. The idea and the plot of this book are what drew me in. I think that this was completely brilliant, compelling, low angst, opposites attract, sweet, sports romance and such a wonderful, light hearted read. I liked everything about this book. The writing just flowed and had me engrossed to the story from sta
Luisa Rivas
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this story! Amanda Shelley is a new-to-me author and I love her simple, straightforward writing style. Just a man and a woman who meet, like each other, spend some time together and fall in love. There are complications along the way and they meet them head on. It made for a lovely read!

Luke is the youngest head coach in the NFL. In the week before his first season as head coach, he heads for his home in Anderson island, off the Puget sound. During one of his runs, he witnesses a woman f
Bookworm in Vegas Jai
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Okay, I’m a sports girl, I come from a sports family, but that being said, I live in Vegas, and we have (until recently) only had College Basketball - Go Rebels, and the Hockey. I’ve never been a football fan. At all. I won’t even watch the super bowl for commercials or half time. Once I went to Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday to avoid everything football. There has only been one other author of all time who has held my attention with a football book.

Well, thanks to Amanda Shelley and her new i
Norma
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

This is my first Amanda Shelley book and I adored it. Sports romance is my jam... and she took it and elevated it. She gives you all that you love about a great sports romance and adds in the depth and craziness that is a romance authors life... or any author's life.
Danika and Luke are so adorable. From the time they meet until the bittersweet end, I loved their story. I loved each moment they shared. This book had me smiling so big, crying lik
Christi
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Making The Call is by a new to me author, Amanda Shelley. I was intrigued by the concept of a sports romance revolving around the head football coach instead of a player thinking it would be a nice twist from the norm. Shelley has managed to create a fun sports romance with a little insight into the life of an author. Making The Call follows Luke, the newest head coach of the Rainier Renegades and romance writer Danika (Dani).

Dani is living her dream as an author. She is spending time at her gr
The Book Fling
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
What a cute story! I adore books with a romance author as one of the main characters. Then add in a sexy football couch, and you have an amazing steamy story. Amanda Shelley is a new author for me, but I will definitely be following her for any of her new stories.

Dani is a popular romance author, and she's living on Anderson Island writing her new book. Luke, the new head football couch, is taking a week off at his home on Anderson Island. When Dani has a bicycle accident, Luke is her knight in
Tammy’s  Timeout
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Making the Call by author Amanda Shelley is a 4 star read from me, of which I thank the author for the early copy I received.

Making The Call is the story of Luke, the youngest NFL coach in the history of the game, and Dani a bestselling romance writer. I loved delving into the world of an author, within a fictional contemporary romance setting, as well as the coaching side of football. Both were refreshing insights into these careers as well as the basis of this book.

Luke and Dani meet unexpecte
Sharon Moritz-rosenthal
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary ARC - early release copy of this book in Kindle format from the author for review purposes.

This is my first time reading a book by this author but I really loved this story and want to read more from her. It is a sports romance but also a sweet romance between two very different people who find love and romance with each other but also have very busy professional lives.

This story takes place in Washington state and both Luke and Dani aka Charlotte lives on an island. I
Gabriella Bell
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so thrilled to have met Charlotte Ann and Luke. This story rings so true in that life is messy and can get in the way. Nice to see something down to Earth that many of us have experienced.

My favorite part is when Charlotte Ann has a knee jerk reaction to social media then realizes she made a huge mistake. Fortunately, Luke is more than smitten and is more concerned about her state of mind than anything else. But let's travel back toward the beginning.

Romance author, Charlotte Ann lives unde
Ashton
Shelves: arc
* * I HAD BEEN GIVEN AN ADVANCE READERS COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW * *

This one is another amazing read by Amanda Shelley!

Dani and her character gives us romance reader fanatics a slight glimpse into the writing and publishing process but still loving the way she is and how funny she is as a person. A character you can relate to even though we are not writers.... Well at least I am not.

Luke is sweet and amazing and just is a true southern gentleman that his mama raised him to be. Ho
Jennifer Pierson
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dani is on tiny Anderson Island to meet some deadlines she has, as she's an author who needs no distractions to make those deadlines. Luke is also on said tiny island to just breathe, as he's now the youngest NFL HC in the league, and so fate throws them together in a meet cute. See, Luke is jogging when he sees Dani falling from her bike, and the journey takes off from there. These two have serious chemistry, and serious careers which put them in spotlight, so that's the push & pull. That's it ...more
Brittany from Can’t Quit Books
This book was a fun, cute read, but it took me awhile to get into it. I feel like it was definitely “It’s a me thing.” I know most people will probably really enjoy it and fall in love with the characters, but for me it just seemed like the story didn’t really get going until the halfway mark.

Dani is a romance writer, and I loved getting to see glimpses of how a writer goes about writing a book. The whole romance community plays a big part, and it was fun to see it from her perspective.

Luke is
Kathryn Linke
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Making The Call was my first time reading Amanda Shelley’s work and it was just what I was after. A sweet, low angst and engaging story with undeniable chemistry.
Dani and Luke are both career orientated individuals who have a chance encounter whilst living on Anderson Island. He’s an NFL coach, and she’s a romance writer. I loved that we get a glimpse into the mind of a romance writer, and all that’s involved in publishing a book. I could totally relate to Dani’s introverted tendencies and Luke
Ga Books LoverX
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Amanda Shelley, but won't be my last, I adored Making the Call and it was an interesting coupling of characters. I love that our leading lady is a romance author and her love interest is her complete opposite- a football coach! I am a huge fan of sports romances and Luke is definitely my type of main man!

The book moves at a fairly fast pace, but did not feel rushed in the slightest. The characters were real and not perfect, which is exactly what I liked to read. The chem
Larissa Rye
4-1/2 stars!!

I’ve never read any books by Amanda before & her writing style is different from many of the authors I’ve read in the past. But I really enjoyed this book!

Sports romances are always a favourite of mine so I really enjoyed getting some actual football scenes in this book & learning more about what head coaches do for their teams. It had a lot to do with why & how Luke was the way he was. I liked Luke right away, & only fell more in love with him as the book went on.

Dani... I loved
Melena Torretta
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

This book has a really fun concept! Dani is a romance novelist and Luke is a football coach. Both are spending time on a quiet island and meet when Luke comes to her aid. They connect fairly quickly and find that there's a lot of chemistry between them.

There wasn't a huge conflict or drama as the story moves along. I like that it wasn't too angsty, but did expect there to be a little more of a central conflict for them to overcome.

As I am a big football fan, it was interesting that it f
« previous 1 3 next »

• Worth the Risk (Worth It All, #1)
  • Second Chance Spring (Singletree, #4)
  • The Great Witches Baking Show (Great Witches Baking Show #1)
  • Worth the Wait (Worth It All, #2)
  • When We Let Go (Kings Grove #1)
  • Enticed (Emerson Falls #2)
  • Jock Blocked (Copper Valley Fireballs #1)
  • Baker's Coven (Great Witches Baking Show #2)
  • Try Me
  • Dragon Lost (Dark Kings #16.5)
  • Enchanted (The Accidental Billionaires #4)
  • Slow Dancing
  • Down and Dirty (Hot Jocks, #5)
  • Tangled with the Twins
  • Lines We Cross (Nickel Bay Brothers #1)
  • Hard Blow (Orlando Suns #1)
  • Big Ben (See No Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Kat, Knight Watch Badges (Iron Orchids #11)
Amanda Shelley writes romantic stories you can escape into. Some are steamy, others are sweet but all have strong characters with a little bit of sass.

When not writing, Amanda enjoys time with her family, playing chauffeur, chef and being an enthusiastic fan for her children. Keeping up with them keeps her alert and grounded in reality. She enjoys long car rides, chai lattes and popping her SUV i

News & Interviews