Start by marking “King of Lies (Empire of Lies, #1)” as Want to Read:
King of Lies (Empire of Lies, #1)

King of Lies

(Empire of Lies #1)

The man I fell in love with is a f*cking liar...
I don't have much time to reveal all the details, but I will say this: The "Woman disappears after wedding" and "Woman flees before honeymoon" headlines are lying.
I'm not missing.
I didn't run away after my wedding.
I would've never run away right before our scheduled honeymoon.
My husband has taken me.
No, correction: He's
Published January 30th 2020 by WGW Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about King of Lies, please sign up.
Marishka From her newsletter - Parts 2 & 3--Queen of Lies & Legacy of Lies, will release in the coming weeks. (No, you won't have to wait forever for…moreFrom her newsletter - Parts 2 & 3--Queen of Lies & Legacy of Lies, will release in the coming weeks. (No, you won't have to wait forever for this couple's conclusion. (less)

Start your review of King of Lies (Empire of Lies, #1)
Lien *semi-hiatus*
2.5 Stars

I'm not sure how I feel about this book...

I'd say Whitney G. is famous for writing rather blunt and straightforward sex talk. I always found it pretty hot and entertaining but now I think it's a bit OTT.

The before was quite boring. Their relationship building was nonexistent so I didn't feel the connection between them. Who are these people? How do they work together outside of the bedroom? I know this is not the focus in this book, with it being darkish and having a more important,
Phuong ✯
description

When Whitney said it's something different from her usual books, she meant different. King of Lies is part of a series and is pretty short. My feelings are summed up in that one gif. Still undecided about the rating.

I was torn between giving it 2 or 3 stars, but then I made a list of pros and cons and decided to rate it with 2.75, rounded up 3 stars.

NAY :
If these protagonists were bread, they would be toast. I didn't really connect with the character, especially Meredith. I think I liked her
Carvanz
Oh my gosh! This book is delicious and dark and it totally blew my mind before dropping me off one serious cliff!

’The man I married no longer exists. The king of my heart is long gone, and he wears a new name. He’s the king of lies.’

With a few time jumps, we meet Meredith and learn of her unsuccessful Tinder dates/hookups. When Michael interrupts one such date, this has all the makings for a wonderfully, sexy rom-com. Except that’s not what we get. Things take a decidedly darker turn and the
Carol
2.5 stars.

I struggled a lot with this opening book to the authors new trilogy.
The storyline felt scattered and I wasn't able to become really invested in a lot of it or it's main characters. It all felt very one dimensional to me.
Just too many "wild flights of fancy" going on here!!!!
I have always been such a big Whitney G. fan but for some reason none of her recent releases have really gelled with me. Clearly, she has a very active imagination but I think sometimes less is better. I feel
Coco.V
Jan 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE pre order on Amazon today (1/29/2020)! ...more
aniryllis
Dec 04, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: 01-2020
Previous blurb, which is interestingly from hero's POV:

First and foremost, I need you to know that I'm not the hero of this story.
I never will be...
I lied to Madison Tanner on the first night we met.
More than once. More than twice.
The moment her sexy red lips touched mine, I told her that I was a good guy--that she could trust me.
What she thought was a whirlwind, six-month love affair was all part of a highly calculated plan I'd drafted behind closed doors.
When she said yes to marrying me, my
Tianna✸loves books✸
The h is is not my favorite character. I just hated her personality and attitude.
She is going through a bad dry spell. She is looking out for getting a good f*ck but all she gets are lousy guys.

“It’s a tad bit longer than one of my lipstick tubes. And don’t even get me started on the unkempt gorilla hair he has going on down there.”

She sees the H first in some dating profile. She likes his profile and uses his photos to come with the help of her vibrator fantasizing about him. The next day he
Timitra
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 Stars

King of Lies was fantastic. It kept my attention from beginning to end and left me wanting more. It contains my fave things in this author's books, cocky hero and strong heroine who gives as good as she gets plus it's a bit dark and twisty. I can't wait to see what happens next and yes I highly recommend it.
Cynema
SO MANY TASTY UNDERCURRENTS TO THE KING OF LIES AND HIS TARGET

“The man I married no longer exists. He’s the king of lies”

What is a man-for-hire to do when he falls for his target? That’s the burning question plaguing rich guy Michael Anderson when he’s tasked with “handling” errant heiress Meredith Thatchwood. It’s sexy, but far from a sweet romance.
There are devious forces at play, schemes and deceptions … but to what end? Not only is this edgy and tense romance something new and different
Cristal
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Since this is a serial trilogy, then I'm viewing this like the first third of a full-length novel. At the 33% mark, I can say that I'm not surprised, but I'm also not bored. I hope the next third will intrigue me more and pull me in enough to want to read the conclusion.
Nina Life of a Bookworm
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was good

Saw some things coming but overeall it was good and fast read. I love the easy way Whitney writes the stories
R Rais
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hotdangit!

I'm screaming " I knew it!"at the end of the book
A little predictable for the end of this first book but still the why is still a big guess. Can't wait to read the next installment.
For the characters, I understand Meredith's pain loosing her mom and the way she try to Cope. Maybe that's why the way Michael charm her got her easy. For me personally his way is too charming to be true. Like they said, something too good to be true, usually are too good to be true.
And that's Michael.
I
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
Whitney G. is one of those authors who ALWAYS brings the angst to whichever story she writes and I absolutely LOVE that!

This short story has more angst than most full length novels out there and I loved every minute of it. I loved all the twists and turns and how intriguing the story is. I cannot wait to have more because I'm not only curious, but I'm also completely HOOKED!!!

The characters were super relatable and the story is so engaging that I didn't want it to end. I really can't wait for
Carissa
OMG. This book sucked me in! I'm so glad Whitney went in a different direction with her writing as this story had me on the edge of my seat. I LOVED the cliffy and I can't wait for the next two installments.

I received this book at my request and have voluntarily left this unbiased review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Izzie d
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Before and after the Hero and heroine meet scenes.
Multiple POV.

Warning at the note before the book from author that this ends on a cliffhanger so respect to the author for that.

It seemed short to me.

It's difficult to tell how good it will be just on this book.

Cliffhanger end.

Lindy
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Edgy

This book was quite edgy. The back story helped answer questions but raised even more. The reader feels sorry for Meredith and wants her to be set feee.
zaraa
Jan 31, 2020 added it
I don’t know how I feel about this.. the concept was interesting, but what annoyed me was how short this book was like why couldn’t it be just one long book instead of several short ones?
Sam
Jan 30, 2020 added it
I don’t read “dark” romance so this was wild for me. Looking forward to the next part because that was entertaining
Becky
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
The heroine in this book was so weak and annoying. I could not relate to her at all. I’m hoping that she grows a pair and learns her value and worth. I get daddy issues but seriously...
The hero/man-candy in this one has a dark side I like but I need more back story and more info on the identical twin situation.
This book is not typical Whitney G. style. I’m a bit disappointed
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 STARS

Heed the warning! The author makes it very clear that this is a different book than what we're used to from her and ends on a major cliff. She ain't lying, people. This is certainly edgier than anything I've read of hers in the past. And having read her entire backlist, I really do mean that. It also held notes of the vintage Whitney G that I've missed since reading
Dali
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With King of Lies, Whitney G. produces a sizzling hot, thrilling and unputdownable romance that will transfix the reader from start to finish and them wanting more.

Whitney G. knows how to write hot and captivating stories. No matter their length, I know I’ll get scorching sexy times, characters that will intrigue me and a plot full of secrets and twists that guarantees I’ll be glued to my eReader.

All you need to know about this book is in the summary. Vague much? YES. But I’m a firm believer
Amber
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beyond devastatingly HOT and intoxicatingly enthralling, this story sizzles and crackels with unrealized expectation and intoxicating danger. The hazy fog of unease that weaves thoughout these pages is like a silent evil that bides it's time and waits to strike until the most vulnerable only grows thicker as the journey unfolds. Nothing is as it seems and learning to stay one step ahead of the game is the only thing that just might save your life. I dare you to play chess with this master and ...more
Mariℓina
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
King of Lies, marks a change in the repertoire of Whitney's stories.
Although this is far better than the previous Never Got Over You, it's still to be decided if it will turn into a good New Era or a bad one.
I absolutely love the way she writes and always devour her new releases like an addict and hopefully, this new mini-series will end up on my "favorites" shelf.

In the meantime though, the secrets and questions this installment left me with, are far too many to be ignored and that's a big
Luisa Rivas
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Here’s my review: short and stunning, and I am gobsmacked. I found Michael Anderson fascinating, as I always find this author’s male characters. They are a mixture of enticing and a-hole, they seem like they don’t care but inside they do, they also seem like they don’t need the women they fall for, but inside, they do. Very intriguing.

Meredith lost her mother two years ago and seems to have lost her way. She’s been drifting between one-night stands, using Tinder a lot, but she’s aimless and
Marce
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. I think it’s fair to say this is very different from other books written by this author. If you like her previous work and don’t feel like trying something different this is not your cup of tea, sorry but it’s the truth.

If, I’m the other hand you feel like reading something different give it a try. I say go with an open mind, this is a dual POV story, in the prologue we get to meet Michael who is telling you about being an anti hero and sound extremely cocky for my
Babel
So unapologetic in her unlikable, intense, utterly compelling characters. I love this author’s style.

The first few scenes in this part one of a trilogy are quite intriguing. He introduces himself as a bad man, then we have a woman in peril fighting for herself, and then a look into the past where the female character is built in bittersweet, relatable, surviving-on-the-edge strokes.

Michael and Meredith waltz around each other in a provocative, harsh, yet undeniably sensual dance. I loved the
Jess
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I immediately loved the cover! Suited men are always great.

Now the story. It is very different to what I normally think of when I think of Whitney G and her books. But you what? I enjoyed it. There were quite a few twists and surprises in the story. Michael was a mysterious individual who seems to have many secrets. He was my favourite character. Meredith wasn't a bad character but I did find her irritating in places. I think this had to do with her naivety and her ability to constantly choose
Melody
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
King of Lies Leaves Me Wanting More!

"There’s something he isn’t telling me. I suddenly feel like I’m on the set of a dark film, the only actress who doesn’t have access to the script. I also know that there’s something darker, deeper to this, and I’m not sure if I should push him for more." This line describes this first book in this series perfectly. King of Lies is Whitney G's first dip into romantic suspense. Even though there is a major cliffhanger, I loved it! Meredith and Michael hit all
Beverly
Wow.

Just wow.

It's a serial. It has a cliffhanger and you MUST read it. I am not kidding.

“I’ve always known that the best player is the man who has nothing to lose”

Whitney decided to write something different and I must say I absolutely loved this. A dark/thrilling romance with an absolutely hot as hell anti hero and a heroine that has lots of secrets (our anti hero as well) i can't wait to discover. The characters and story are great, so it's the pacing of the story. Right now it's a freebie
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Cruelest Stranger
  • Credence
  • Ward, A Dark Romance
  • Lover (Betrothed #3)
  • Devious Lies (Cruel Crown, #1)
  • Even If It Hurts
  • The Donor
  • Code of Silence
  • Dirty Girls
  • Liar (Voyeur, #5)
  • Release
  • Darker Than Love (Darker Than Love, #1)
  • Hidden Truths (Truths and Lies, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement
Whitney G. is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author. Her books have been published in twelve languages.

Whenever she's not penning a new novel, you can find her blogging about self-publishing at The Indie Tea, drinking hot coffee, or traveling the world in sweater boots.

You can connect with Whitney on Instagram and Facebook.
Instagram: @whitneyg.author