Start by marking “10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed” as Want to Read:
10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  8 ratings  ·  10 reviews
10 Publishing Myths offers authors the chance to succeed in the publishing world by giving them practical tools they can use to succeed and dodge the myths of the industry.

The publishing world is filled with misconceptions and myths. Therefore, it is terrific for authors to have big ambitions as their book is being published, but, it is also important to be realistic and
Published December 17th 2019 by Morgan James Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of 10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed
Karen
Jan 03, 2020 added it
When I read Terry Whalin's book, "10 Publishing Myths," the first thing I thought of was one of the best-known quotes from TV, "Just the facts, ma'am," from the Dragnet series.

The book is jammed packed with myth-busting pearls of wisdom from Whalin's 25+ years in the book publishing arena as both an editor and writer. It's filled with just the facts.

"10 Publishing Myths" not only busts myths, it gives invaluable advice on how writers can get started, how to market themselves and their books, and
Deborah Lyn
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed” by W. Terry Whalin
Published by Morgan James Publishing, Morgan James
____

“10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed” is a must read for writers no matter where you are in your writing career. Each Myth is real and presented in an inspiring move forward, practical argument, from a writer who’s been there.

Some of my favorite parts include: take responsibility for your work, create your own marketing plan and make it
Linda Wilson
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve searched for books about publishing to help guide me as I prepare to self-publish my first children’s book. Fortunately, I found Terry Whalin’s book early, before the launch of my book. 10 Publishing Myths is chock full of helpful information gleaned from his extensive background in publishing, and lessons he and others have learned from their publishing experiences. Most helpful are the online and book resources generously sprinkled throughout the book, and the realization that the one ...more
Jeff Blumenfeld
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Authors: Get This Book!
I wouldn’t be an author today if it wasn’t for Terry Whalin’s how-to books on publishing. He helped me turn a collection of adventure stories into a popular book on travel funding; then did it again for my second book, this one about voluntourism – the art of lending a hand wherever one travels. 10 Publishing Myths was especially helpful in my journey to authorhood. It will temper your expectations of financial gain; make you less reliant on your publisher’s enthusiasm for
Nancy Hicks
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a new author, and this simple read is a helpful - truly helpful - guide to take your book and push it out! Terry has loads of experience and in this approachable, clear book of insights, it felt like Terry was coaching us along the way to move out the message of our book. Keep it where you work and refer to it often!
Jacquelyn Lynn
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best source for information is someone who has “been there, done that”—and when it comes to publishing, W. Terry Whalin has been there, done that, and generously shares what he knows in 10 Publishing Myths.

If you’re thinking about writing a book or if you’ve written one and are struggling with the publishing process,10 Publishing Myths will answer your questions, tell you how the business works, and give you clear action steps to increase your chances of a successful writing career.

Wherever
Victoria Smith
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10 Publishing Myths is insightful and honest, yet encouraging. Revealing pitfalls all new authors should know, it has enlightened and challenged me as I prepare to launch my first book. 10 Marketing Myths made it clear that the burden for marketing lies on MY shoulders, with solid guidance on putting together my plan. Big value in a succinct package. Thank you, Terry Whalin!
J.L. Callison
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I first met Terry Whalin at the Indiana Faith and Writing Conference in the fall of 2014. I had just written my first novel and had no clue what to do with it. When I registered for the conference, they told me I had a free interview with someone in the industry. When I said I had no clue what I was even doing there, they suggested Terry due to his experience--that he is an excellent teacher. To demonstrate my ignorance, I didn’t even know what an Acquisitions Editor was! He patiently answered
Shirley Brosius
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Author W. Terry Whalin states ten publishing myths, one per chapter. But he then offers valuable advice on how to become a published author rather than sit back and believe the myth. For instance in the opening chapter he addresses the myth “I Will Make a Lot of Money Writing My Book.” But he then explains how to promote your book to make it a profitable venture. I enjoyed his catchy quotes such as that of showman P. T. Barnum: “Without promotion, something terrible happens. Nothing.”

I
Laura Atchison
As an author I wish I this book had come out when I first published. It would have saved a lot of pain and agony and time spent going down the wrong way streets of the world of publishing. Terry Whalin knows his stuff and freely shares the myths and how to bust those myths in each chapter.

Each chapter is ripe with stories of the myth, the truth and how to excel in the business of being an author. I especially love all the resources you can link to that help you make connections and streamline
David Fessenden

• Priceless: A Devotional Cookbook Based on Proverbs 31
  • The Choice Is Yours: 52 Choices for Happier Lives
  • Dreaming of the Majors--Living in the Bush
  • Essential Oils: God’s Extravagant Provision for Your Health
  • Glimpses of God a Winter Devotional for Women (Glimpses #1)
W. Terry Whalin understands the editorial desk--as an editor and a writer. He worked as a magazine editor and his work has appeared in more than 50 publications. Terry is an Acquisitions Editor at Morgan James Publishing. He has written more than 60 books through traditional publishers. Terry's newest book releases on December 17, 2019 called 10 PUBLISHING MYTHS, INSIGHTS EVERY AUTHOR NEEDS TO ...more