Start by marking “The Crows” as Want to Read:
The Crows

The Crows

When broken-hearted Carrie Rickard falls in love with a ruined house, her life changes forever - especially since this house loves her back. Fairwood House, known locally as The Crows, is no ordinary ruin. As Carrie pours herself into its restoration, she learns that it comes with a curse and an unsolved sixty-year-old child murder... and a mind of its own.

As she digs into
ebook
Published January 4th 2020
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Crows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crows

Start your review of The Crows
Nita Pan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clever heroine who falls for a ruined house… and the house that has a mind of its own falls for her. When C.M. Rosens offered to let me beta read The Crows, I couldn’t be more excited. Curses, a murder, and a spooky town all wrapped up in a blanket of dark humor? A very emotionally unavailable monster boy from next-door with a penchant for cannibalism? Sign me the heck up!

To read the full review, follow this link: https://nitapanwrites.com/2020/01/02/...
Maria DeBlassie
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fantastic gothic tale! It's perfect for anyone who loves haunted houses, body horror, and a town with more secrets than residents. The characters are incredibly relatable, as they grapple with past traumas and current mysteries. All the characters are richly drawn and complex, making this a great story about found-family and magic.
For as creepy and horrific as certain parts of this story can be, there are other equally comforting parts, and often the two are mixed so well togethe
David Thirteen
I’m really developing a special love for stories that mesh fantasy with dark and horrific imagery. And although The Crows plays heavily with traditional Gothic tropes, it manages to build a lush fantasy world filled with the truly weird and grotesque. At first, it appears to be a straight up haunted house story, as Carrie finishes renovating her dream home, a dilapidated manor in Wales, and begins to have thoughts that are not entirely her own. But it soon grows into much more as she discovers n ...more
Varanda Writer
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Crows is a breath of fresh (fetid?) air on the miasma of contemporary fiction, with unexpected twists and turns (and tentacles!) blurring the line between horror and comedy. I honestly didn't know whether to hide under the covers or chuckle to death - but I know I did say "what the f---" quite a lot.

I must say I was a bit confused at times - there were so many characters, dead and alive, it was hard to keep track. The intriguing illustrations by Tom Brown provided a much helpful pause in the
Kerri Davidson
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is only May, but I have to declare this as my book of the year so far!
The story is bizarre, terrifying, funny, and gruesome. Yet, with all these mindboggling components, I found it to be 100% relatable, and I could not put it down. For real. Fairwood wouldn't allow me to.
Carrie is one of the most well written characters I've ever come across. She manages to live a half-assed normal life in the middle of drop in werewolves, ghosts, cannibals, not to mention the house itself.
And who could possi
Kat Caulberg
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, I don’t generally read horror. I had no idea what body horror was until I read this.

But let me tell you, Rosens’ The Crows absolutely blew me away. Her world-building is phenomenal, detailed, and terrifying. She knows each and every one of her characters inside out. Her writing voice is beautiful.

And just when you don’t think things can get any creepier, they do.

Five stars to this breakout book loved every minute of it.
Tucker
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The narration is so confident and smooth that I felt no skepticism of the supernatural events. The world is well designed and told through a particular voice. Weird, spooky, and graphic — enough gore for those with some tolerance for horror-violence without feeling gratuitous. Also, the ebook has lovely art. Ebooks are rarely so visually attractive.
Sam
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adore this book! I was a beta reader and now I own the arc in order to write a review! It’s a spiritual cousin to The Haunting of Hill House, the Uninvited, and the Hammer films. Full of Lovecraftian horror, dry British humor, and *lots* of body horror.

The book is about Carrie Rickard, a shattered young woman running away from a bad breakup, and buys a house in a small town in England. But not just any house: a living house that has seen more terrible things than a torture chamber. Also, her
Simon
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightfully weird and creepy. I think this is my first real exposure to body horror. There's a lot in this book + I don't think I tracked everything, but I enjoyed it - the characters, the town, the story. Am curious to read more. ...more
Heather Bane
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Crows is a really great book. The story grabbed me from the beginning and kept me hooked throughout. The characters are likable and well developed. The story is well written and interesting. A great book that I recommend reading.

Pat Eroh
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book captured me immediately into the story and I loved everything about this story. Excellent story with great characters, especially Carrie. This is a compelling story with action and perfect pacing.

Ellie Mitchell
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
~About:

When Carrie Rickard moves to an old manor, Fairwood House, known to locals as The Crows, she soon finds herself in the midst of a decades long supernatural plot that opens her eyes to the otherworldly goings on of the village.

~Characters:

Carrie was a down on her luck young woman, having recently separated from a manipulative ex boyfriend. Though cautious in nature, her mental strength and determination in the face of adversity were awe-inspiring. I found myself sharing in her various hig
Marion
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading this book before publication and I can tell you that it’s fantastic! There were parts that were so scary I had to turn on the lights to continue reading and parts that were so hilarious that I was laughing for 15 minutes straight. And then it made me laugh again when I thought about it hours later. And again when I read that part to my friends. In short, this book made me feel something, and that’s what I’m looking for in a book.

Also, something else that’s brilliant
J Mills
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Crows is a fantastic Gothic Horror book that has all sorts of twists and turns, which also has a macabre taste that's definitely dark in nature. The happenings among the little town is fun, especially with all the beings that come out at night that happen upon the protagonist when she least expects it. There's a lot of dark humor as well which is a lot of fun, so The Crows does provide plenty of giggles.

The lore of the The Crows is very extensive and its obvious that C.M. Rosens has taken a
HCF
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
No story is better than its characters, and it is a joy that the characters are well realised and fit within the narrative. The author makes you feel what the main characters feel without telling you directly. For example, I felt myself mirroring Carrie's shock and surprise at the beginning of things and then mentally adjusting to the new normal. Brava! I hope to see more stories in this world.

On a slight tangent: I was not expecting it to be as erotic as it had turned out, but that was a deligh
'trie
such a good read w amazing, nuance world-building, & characters that you're going to fall in love with & IMMEDIATELY question everything about yourself because how can you love these terrible people this much ...more
Caroline Duvezin
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[Full review coming after book club]
I really liked this weird Gothic book!
Ally Kersel
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really really damn good. All the creepies, humour and heart that I love to read.
Leanne Blakey-Novis
I was blown away by this book, I just couldn’t put it down (to the point my husband would go to bed, and I was left reading till midnight). There were so many twists and turns I didn’t see coming, I needed more.
Carrie Rickards finds herself head over heels in love with a total wreck of a house (Fairwood, but the locals called it The Crows), not realising that her life would change drastically forever! The Crows is cursed, and Carrie needs to find out why.
Well written and gripping from the start
Lucy
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book I really enjoyed but it’s weird and so hard to describe. There is an old house with a personality, a neighbour that’s a cannibal, werewolves and so much more. I liked the story and the mystery of the house. I liked the characters and at points it was a very weird book.
Abby Hindle
Dec 11, 2020
Lauren Smith
Nov 27, 2019
C.M. Rosens
Nov 29, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Pagham-on-Sea Tou...: THE CROWS: **NO SPOILERS** 1 3 Jan 05, 2021 12:05PM

• The Old Ones in the Old Book: Pagan Roots of the Hebrew Old Testament
  • Quesadillas
  • Don't Call Us Dead
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Sensing Chicago: Noisemakers, Strikebreakers, and Muckrakers
  • How to Write an Autobiographical Novel: Essays
  • NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field
  • The Silence of the Girls
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Remade (Remade #1)
  • The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • The Gilda Stories
  • Cemetery Boys
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
C. M. Rosens is an author and fairy godmother of two based in England and Wales, but is lucky enough to have family and friends all over the world. She is a lover of the Gothic, the Paranormal and the just plain Weird. She wanted to go into acting once but was persuaded to “get a real job”. As a result, she has a PhD in Medieval Welsh History, an academic alter-ego, and works part-time at a gym fo ...more