Start by marking “Her Secret Past” as Want to Read:

Her Secret Past

(Detective Jessie Blake #3)

Jean Angus pours the last of the lukewarm tea into her chipped cup, shivering as she looks outside into the dark night. Her eyes are drawn to a slow movement not far from her cosy farmhouse. She’s not expecting visitors. And as the back door opens with a bang, she doesn’t even have time to shout for help.

On a dark winter night, the bodies of Malcolm and Jean Angus lie
Published January 22nd 2020 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Secret Past

Start your review of Her Secret Past
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'I'm Alice Connor,' she began. 'When I was fourteen, along with my boyfriend, we murdered my grandparents in our farmhouse on Skye. We hit them with hammers until they were dead.' She said it rapidly as if ripping off a plaster quickly to get it over and done with, then sighed as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: On a dark winter night, the bodies of Malcolm and Jean Angus lie cold and still in a pool of blood in their kitchen. Detective Jessie Blake is
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quote:

Benito Capello had the knack of making her feel like a teenager again. It was his brooding Latin looks. The way his big brown eyes twinkled like he was sharing a naughty secret when he smiled.

My Review:

This tale was jam-packed with itchy twists, oddly peculiar and intriguing characters, compelling storylines, and a full slate of dark secrets and hidden agendas. The storylines seemed unlimited, as were my wild theories, and each was ingeniously complex and cleverly crafted -both
Linda Strong
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

She was only 14 when she and her 19-year old boyfriend slaughtered her grandparents with hammers.... just because they told her she couldn't see the boyfriend anymore.

She is now an adult, married to a man who knows her past. There's not a day goes by that she doesn't remember and feel remorse. While the boyfriend went to prison for 25 years, she had her name changed and she was free to go.

Detective Jessie Blake and her partner are called to a gruesome scene. Malcolm and Jean Angus have been beat
Mark
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Those of you who have read the previous Detective Jessie Blake books will need no persuading to read this one, those that haven’t this book is great to read as a stand alone (and then am sure you will be wanting to read the others )

I love Jessie Blake, one of my fav Police character's, she is vibrant and determined and yes has a past but is working through that and what I like the most is that she makes police procedurals accessible and easy yet interesting to follow, she seems genuinely a good
Lou
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Her Secret Past is the third book in the Detective Inspector Jessie Blake series set in scenic Perthshire, Scotland. When elderly couple Malcolm and Jean Angus are shot to death in their remote Perthshire home Jessie and colleague DC Dylan Logan are immediately called to the scene of the crime to investigate. When they enter the property they are both bemused to discover the couple's grandson Gordon who is plonked right next to his grandfather's body seemingly without a care in the world. After ...more
Deb✨
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
By Kerry Watts
A completely thrilling and heart-stopping crime thriller.

This was an intense thriller! It definitely keeps you guessing! 'Her Secret Past' was a very well crafted story of not one but two horrific murder crimes, set 30 years apart. I loved seeing how the story unfolded and how all the different characters worked into the story as the plot unfolded. It was very suspenseful and had plenty of twists and turns! So just when I thought I knew what was going on, or had it
Shalini
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had always thought that author Kerry Watts wrote a police procedural with a heart. But this book was more than that. It was brilliant, a complete thriller, which compelled me to read the book from beginning to end in a single sitting.

Never had I read a book so fast in this year. Two sets of murders one which occurred in 1990 and the other in the present time where all the victims were an elderly couple. Detective Jessie was called to investigate with her partner Dylan.

My third book by this
Bridget
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Combine a good sprinkling of mystery, menace, abuse, gossip, drama and justice and you end up with Her Secret Past by Kerry Watts.

Having read the second book in this series (Her Missing Child) but not the first one (Heartlands), I had great expectations and I am pleased to say that I found Her Secret Past completely intriguing and compelling!

Reclusive married couple Malcolm and Jean Angus are very happy living in their cosy farmhouse, in a small town in Perthshire, Scotland. They don't have
Monnie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third in a series featuring Detective Inspector Jessie Blake, but it's a first for me. Happily, this one seems to stand on its own well - at least I didn't feel at a disadvantage for not having read the other two. Better still, it's good enough that I won't hesitate to grab the next one.

The prologue is set in 1990, when a man and his wife are brutally murdered - admittedly by their teenage daughter and her older boyfriend. Fast forward to the present, when Jessie and her partner
Andi
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first read of 2020!

Just WOW! You know when a book grasps you by the first sentence and pulls you into the author's world? That!

I loved the twists and turns, the details that Kerry had obviously researched and then explained well.
I did think that the emphasis on mental health was excellent as well as touching again on domestic abuse. These taboo subjects in books need highlighting to help people feel confident to discuss openly.

A definite 5 star read for me again and I can't wait to see
Lusie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A fast paced thriller about Detective Inspector Jessie Blake, She is trying to solve the murder of an elderly couple. There were a few unexpected twist. The plot was great and I loved the ending. This book can be read as a standalone.
Susan Johnson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jessie Blake is a detective in Scotland. She and her partner are called in to investigate a murder of an elderly couple. It turns out the neighbor who has a beef with them was a convicted murderer or her elderly grandparents when she was 14. Could she have struck again?

As they follow the clues, it turns out nothing is was easy as it seems. There are plenty of suspects some with compelling motives. The creepiest is the couple's grandson who is on the autistic spectrum and calmly eats breakfast
Deanna Walker
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely loved it! Great storyline!

Omg! I can’t believe it that happened to them, must be very awful! That was a really good secrets to keep from them..Those poor elderly couples who was murdered and left alone in the house..

Looking forward to read more books soon....

Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy....
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Ms Watts never fails to amaze me! This is the third book in the Jessie Blake series and it shows no signs of slowing down! Each story has so many mini-stories to keep you guessing to how they are all linked with the main story. I guessed a couple of things in this book but rather than it disappoint me, it made me so happy!

After such a brutal beginning, exposing us to the horrific murder of an elderly couple that happened in 1991, I just couldn’t see where we were going with this. Fast forward to
Hanlie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
1/2

"It hardly seemed real now that they were carrying out their plan. The plan that would free them. Free from judgement "

What made the 14 year old Alice and the 19 year old David kill her grandparents? What impact will this brutal act have on her life?

Exactly 29 years later an elderly couple is shot dead in their home. Who would have done this and why? How can their grandson sit next to his dead grandfather eating a turkey sandwich as if nothing has happened? Quickly evidence start pointing
peggy
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
DI Jessie Blake is back. I absolutely love this series. A double murder what is the connection between another double murder years ago. This book had me hooked from the first page, so many twists and turns to this story. It led me down so many wrong paths. Not just dealing with two horrific murders her ex husband is back in town. Read this book in one sitting and finally turned the last page in the wee hours. Another crime thriller par excellence from this author. A MUST READ and highly ...more
Julie Lacey
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Jessie Blake series.
Jessie and Dylan are called out to a remote farmhouse where a couple have been found murdered. Their son is in shock but soon turns to the bottle, so is not much help with the investigation.
Suspicion is placed with the neighbour, Rachel, who has had a difficult life and soon the evidence points her way. However, Jessie’s gut feeling is that it’s not that simple.
Dan is still trying to get back in to Jessie’s life, but the abuse she suffered when
Susan Hunter
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great instalment in the Detective Jessie Blake series. This book had such an intriguing and shocking plot. An elderly couple are murdered in their farmhouse and Jessie Blake is in charge of the investigation. There are so many possible suspects I couldn't put it the book down until I knew the outcome.. It's one of those thrilling reads when you think you have it all worked out , but then discover you are completely wrong. A 5 star read!
Tracy Wood
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2020
Alice Connor was only fourteen when she and her boyfriend committed a heinous crime, but that was almost thirty years ago and Alice doesn't exist any more. Integrated back into the community with a new identity her secret is safe, or so she thinks, but then an elderly couple are gunned down in their own home and her past comes hurtling into the present threatening everything she'd worked so hard to achieve.

Detective Jessie Blake, called to the isolated farmhouse with her partner, DC Dylan
Marion
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like psychological thrillers and police procedurals this latest book in the Detective Jessie Blake series is perfect for you.
From the very start we are exposed to a horrific murder of an elderly couple at their farmhouse, Jessie and her partner Dylans investigations point to a dispute over land with their nearest neighbour, Rachel Ferguson.
On closer examination Jessie discovers Rachel is not the person everyone thinks she is, a previous murder conviction makes her Jessies prime suspect.
As
Susana Rio
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Jean Angus pours the last of the lukewarm tea into her chipped cup, shivering as she looks outside into the dark night. Her eyes are drawn to a slow movement not far from her cosy farmhouse. She's not expecting visitors. And as the back door opens with a bang, she doesn't even have time to shout for help.

On a dark winter night, the bodies of Malcolm and Jean Angus lie cold and still in a pool of blood in their kitchen. Detective Jessie Blake is called in to find out what happened to the
Celine Godfrey
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first two in the Jessie Blake series and was looking forward to another. This third one has been the best yet. Maybe that's because I've already established a relationship with the main characters, primarily Jessie Blake and her police partner Dylan, both of whom are likeable characters. Was also looking forward to finding out more of Jessie's back story with her ex husband, who's also back in this one. Not such a likeable character! And is he up to his old ways again? He's ...more
Jill Burgin
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in the Jessie Blake series and I thoroughly loved it! We know of one of the characters ‘Secret Past’ early on in the book and that adds to the development and richness of the story. A double murder, similar to one in the past, needs to be solved and there are several people in the story we keep switching from and to, whether they are guilty or not. Meanwhile our Jessie is focused on the case, although fondly distracted by a new beau and scarily distracted by an abusive ex ...more
Lynsey
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Her Secret Past by Kerry Watts

Publication date - 22 January 2020
Publisher - Bookouture
ARC received from @netgalley and @bookouture

Description
On a dark winter night, the bodies of Malcolm
Claire Watson
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wanted a good book to end 2019 and Her Secret Past was just perfect. I’ve read one of Kerry Watts previous books and this book has made me realise I need to read more. This novel is explosive, gripping and you’ll be addicted within the first few pages. Loved it!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author for the chance to review.
Annette
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author and although it's part of a series it works well as a stand-alone. There's lots of characters to keep up with but I managed to stay on top of the story and enjoyed it. I did, however, find that the ending was a bit muddled but overall a good crime thriller and I will definitely read other books by this author
Tanya
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the Jessie Blake series, and wow, I can't believe how well the series is going. I just love Jessie, her interaction with her partner Dylan, and there was one specific scene in the book where she helped Dylan deal with a personal issue with so much love and compassion that my heart just melted.
This book was well written, jumping a little bit between the present and the past, but it doesn't distract from the story line, instead it enhances the fantastic reading experience.
Elisabeth Soane
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2019
This is the third outing for Detective Jessie Blake and her team. A retired couple are murdered and their neighbour appears guilty bu5 how is it all linked to a previous murder. The case was interesting and I enjoyed the characters but was definitely more interested in the evolving story of Jessie’s ex and his devious nature.
This was an enjoyable read and I look forward to book four.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
#HerSecretPast #NetGalley
AnniE
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read any of the rest of the series. Not a problem because this seemed to be standalone .. I enjoyed this book and the twists and turns in the story . It might have helped if I had known more about the detectives, but I felt that I knew them quite well by the end.
Well written and a believable story . My only criticism is that it seemed to be wrapped up too quickly at first sight .... as the book went on that was not the case. I will definately look for more by this author
I received an
Roberta
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced ebook. This is the first Kerry Watts book I have read - I didn't know that this was part of a series featuring DI Jessie Blake. It reads well as a stand alone but I did have some questions about Jessie's past which if I read her previous books I would get the answers.
Her Secret Past was a good read - kept me in suspense and trying to guess who did it. There are quite a few characters to keep track of - I sometimes had to think back on who someone was. I am
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Stranger's Wife
  • The Man She Married
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • The Liar’s Daughter
  • Her Daughter's Cry
  • Little Boy Lost (DCI Anna Tate, #3)
  • The Leaving Party
  • The Perfect Sister
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Her Last Goodnight
  • The Nowhere Girl
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Strangers
  • The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • Why She Ran
  • The Good Mother
.Kerry Watts was born and grew up in a small town in the East of Scotland where she still lives today. She is always writing and carries a little notebook and pen with her wherever she goes because at her age ideas need to be captured before they disappear.
Kerry specialises in crime fiction because she enjoys pushing the boundaries of what it is to be human. The nature versus nurture debate

Detective Jessie Blake (3 books)
  • Heartlands (Detective Jessie Blake #1)
  • Her Missing Child