Start by marking “Always the Last to Know” as Want to Read:

Always the Last to Know

Sometimes you have to break a family to fix it.

From New York Times bestselling author Kristan Higgins, a new novel examining a family at the breaking point in all its messy, difficult, wonderful complexity.

The Frosts are a typical American family. Barb and John, married almost fifty years, are testy and bored with each other...who could blame them after all
Expected publication: June 9th 2020 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 09, 2020
    Sometimes you have to break a family to fix it.

Format: Print book

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Always the Last to Know
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I love this heart melting, tear jerker, emotional, riveting and realistic family story! You can find a part of yourself written in this story. The dynamics between mothers and daughter, daughter with father are so familiar.

So far I think this is one of my favorite Kristan Higgings books tells about life, happiness, dreams, realities, betrayal, lies, thin red line between life and death, childhood sweethearts, resentments, infertility, lack of communication.

The story is told by POVS of four
    Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
    Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020
    I loved Good Luck With That. I have read several other of Higgins books and none have compared to Good Luck With That. Always the last to know seemed to drag on it was slow going. I had to push through to the end to find out about Noah and Sadie.
    I gave this book 3 stars.
    The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
    Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
    I love Higgins books, they are always so relatable, fun, humorous and full of all the feels. It's with little trepidation that I pick one up, even ones that seem different from her happily ever after norms.
    Which is why I didn't even hesitate to pick this up and give it a go and while I did like it, I sadly didn't connect with it in my usual way.

Was it the characters that were a little harder to love than usual? Was it the different POVs? I'm honestly not sure because why I could relate on some
    Jamie beauty_andthebook_
    Ever have one of those weeks where you know you need your next book to be a guaranteed 5 star? Well, given the current international pandemic, this was definitely one of those weeks and for me, Kristan Higgins is ALWAYS a 5 star read for me - Always the Last to Know was certainly no exception.

Higgins is at her best here in what she does best - family drama, enough to pull at our heartstrings while also restoring our faith in humanity simultaneously. Juliet and Sadie are two sisters who couldn't
    Amy
    Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I swear no other author writes about family dynamics with the grace, humor, charm and humor like KH does. Shes one of my absolute favorite authors and her latest just shows me why yet again. I always say her newest book is her best and thats true again here. This follows the Frost family; mom Barb and her daughters Juliet and Sadie. Families are complicated no matter what and KH does such an incredible job of exploring the relationships between mothers and daughters, fathers and daughters and ...more
    Andrea Arterbery
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    ***Thanks to my friends at Berkley, Penguin Random House for allowing me to download the advance copy of this book!***

Welp, it's the holiday break and that weird in-between time where it's the end of the year/beginning of the next year and you don't really even know what day it is but who cares?! Yes, if you're thinking that it's the perfect time to binge read books, you're correct! Imagine my excitement to gain access to an early copy of Kristan Higgins' upcoming novel. Amazing!

I'll be honest:
    Janet
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book and many more today.

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story
    Tiffany Foskey
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Kristan Higgins books are always a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!!! Love her stories sooooo much and was sooooo glad to get an ARC of this newest one. Her stories you can always relate to and you enjoy them soooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Peggy
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Beautifully drawn characters in this family drama. There was both comedy and tragedy. Both so well written.
    The subjects of infidelity, aging, life choices, love and joy are all represented fully and lovingly. I enjoyed every word and will read it again and again.
    Susan
    Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: women-s-fiction
    3.5 stars. I thought this was going to be standard, cliched Women's Fiction for the first half of the book. I was certain that the two slightly estranged sisters would bond when their father suffers a traumatic brain injury, while the sister who is married with children and a successful job realizes you can't Have It All, and the sister who is trying to make it as an artist in New York City returns home and realizes that she can only be happy in small town Connecticut (with her high school ...more
    Katie Katieneedsabiggerbookshelf
    Sadie and Juliet are very different for being sisters. Juliet was the child her mother yearned for, and adored from her first breath. Sadie was the surprise baby several years later, who was her fathers pride and joy. While each has a parent on their side, it doesnt change the jealousy they feel over the others relationship with the opposite parent. Meanwhile, John and Barb have been together 50 years and she is ready to end that when John has a stroke. When John moves home and needs round the ...more
    Sandy
    Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
    ***Thank you to Berkley Publishing and Shelf Awareness for an ARC of Kristan Higgins new book***

Meet Barb and John Frost, your typical couple married 50 years. Parents to two daughters - Juliet, the favorite of her mother. The "perfect" successful architect with a family of her own. And Sadie - John's favorite, the struggling artist/art teacher who couldn't wait to leave the small town she grew up in. And the man she never stopped loving.

Just as life is - things seem great until the house of
    Linda George
    Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020
    Barb and John Frost have been married for fifty years, but something is not right. The day John has a stroke everything falls apart. Barb finds out that John is having an affair and, even though she was planning to divorce him, she is crushed. Their daughters rush home to help deal with the crisis - Juliet who is Barb's favorite and Sadie who is John's favorite. The two women could not be more different. Juliet is a successful architect, wife, and mother and yet she is spending an increasing ...more
    Shoshana G
    Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: grown-up-fiction
    I read almost all of Higgins' books this year, and I really liked most of them! There's something enjoyable and relaxing to reading about normal everywomen finding themselves and love. Some I liked more than others, but they were mostly easy to fall into, with charming settings and relatable, yet imperfect characters.

This was fine, but it was not one of my favorites. I really disliked Sadie. Obviously there's a place for an unlikable woman and unlikable characters, but this style of book doesn't
    Evelyn
    Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Married for nearly 50 years with two grown daughters, it seemed Barbara Frost had been just going through the motions of being married for as long as she could remember. She was actually thinking of asking her husband John for a divorce on their anniversary. But when John has a stroke the day before it, she learns while waiting in the ER that hed been having an affair. Has her whole like been a
    Mary Robinson
    Always the Last to Know relates the lives of a mother (Barbara Frost) and her two daughters (Juliet and Sadie), from Stoningham, CT (also featured in Life and Other Inconveniences. On the eve her 50th Wedding Anniversary, Barb recieves the news that her husband, John, as had an accident while riding his bicycle. By the time she reaches the hospital, it has been determined that his fall was caused by a stroke, and he is wisked into surger. Told in alternating narration by the three women, the ...more
    Laura Hill
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
    Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on June 9th, 2020.

Another feel good book by Kristan Higgins full of her trademark humor, smart, snappy prose, likable characters, and uplifting endings. A good palate cleanser from all the serious reading Ive been doing. I love the way she has continued to embed love in all forms in this book, along with the requisite rediscovered lost true
    Beck
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Higgins is just one of those authors that you want to read. There is no forethought when deciding whether to read a book by Higgins - there just IS. You really can't stay away. Reading Higgins is like diving into a pool of warm chocolate syrup.. if you can visualize that. I just love her books.

This is about a marriage in trouble and how not all is as it seems. It's about love, loss, and struggle.

I love books about family issues. They are so real. There is no facade. No fakeness. Higgins has a
    Nicole Duling
    Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Unfortunately, this is my least favorite book I have read from Kristan Higgins. It was so slow paced and I had to force myself to keep reading hoping that something exciting was going to happen, but it never did.
    While at certain points in my life I have felt like Barb, I still didnt connect with her. In fact, I didnt feel a connection with any of the characters. Sadie absolutely got on my nerves with all her blabbering.
    And the text messages sent between John and WORK were the worst!!
    I really
    Deb
    Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Higgins includes in her stories great characters with insecurities. A mother who is no longer (after 50 years) in love with her husband. The favorite daughter who has always tried to be Perfect and is now having meltdowns in the closet. The youngest daughter, an artist, who is always trying to prove to herself that she is an artist. These insecurities are what all of us feel at some time in our lives. The support of friends and family get us through these rough times as it did the Frost women.
    Joanne
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I love the way this author writes. You want to keep reading and see where her characters will go. There wasn't a heck of a lot of plot here but the character development was excellent as it usually is for Higgins. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
    Heather
    Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I was lucky enough to receive a early copy of Kristan Higgins latest. I am a huge fan and this book did not disappoint. She wrote of family, relationships, finding yourself and other heavy topics in a way that is just so relatable. A few chuckles definently here and there. Would recommend adding this to your to be read pile.
    Jackie Rogers
    Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is a novel about family. It is rather real as this family has problems. The folks turn into your own family as you read the book from the characters point of view. It wont be out until June. Mark it on your to read list as you will love it. Thanks to Goodreads.
    Beth Perry
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Always the Last to Know is a complex story of relationships, family and the secrets they keep. A Father's injury brings two sisters together and explores why the family is fractured. Kristan Higgins always delivers great reads with diverse characters.
    Terry McGrorty
    Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Very much enjoyed Always the Last to know. First I loved the Minnesota speak and reference don't cha know. I could relate to the characters and their stories. Well written and a joy to read. Thank you.
    Julia | gameofreading
    Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020, arcs-2020
    I always love the realistic family drama Kristan Higgins brings! I could easily see this family in my life. The story had fun, hilarious moments, and also really heartfelt, emotional moments. No one combines these two feelings in a more realistic way than Higgins!
    Karen Troutman
    by Kristan Higgins
    Berkley Publishing Group
    You Like Them
    Berkley
    Women's Fiction

Kristan Higgins is an author I look forward to reading. Sadly, to say this book was not one of my favorites. I will not be rating it high or recommending it to our library patrons.
    Sanders Theresa
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
    First of all I want to say thank you Kristan Higgins for picking me as a winner on goodreads for your new book.

I love the story, it was heartbreaking, and gut retching. A story of lust, love, and betrayed. In the end everyone got their happy ending and was able follow their Hope's and dreams.
    LibraryLaur
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: adult, netgalley
    Another winning family drama from Kristan Higgins. A good book club pick; discussion questions are even included!

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
    Joyce
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    An intimate look at the Frost family with all their warts. The trials and tribulations of the individuals
    and how they address their issues bringing them all to fruition. A really feel good read. Good summer read.

• What You Wish For
    • The New Husband
    • He Started It
    • I Was Told It Would Get Easier
    • What Lies Between Us
    • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
    • Home Before Dark
    • On Ocean Boulevard
    • The Wives
    • You Are Not Alone
    • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
    • The Wife Who Knew Too Much
    • Hello, Summer
    • Beach Read
    Kristan Higgins is the New York Times, USA TODAY, Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of 19 novels, which have been translated into more than two dozen languages and sold millions of copies worldwide. Her books have received dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Kirkus, The New York Journal of Books, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal , People and ...more