Start by marking “Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)” as Want to Read:
Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)

Shots on Goal

(Stick Side #3)

Recently traded to the newly formed Vermont Trailblazers, professional hockey player Roman Kinsey needs to focus on helping the team win games and filling the stands, not on the blond, bespectacled part-timer who works at the library he volunteers at. He knows all too well that outing himself equals heartache and ridicule…or worse.

Cody Evans, psych major and grad school
Published January 7th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Shots on Goal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shots on Goal

Start your review of Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
Cadiva
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this one is my favourite so far.

Sorry! I didn't get a chance to write the rest of the review so here it is 😁

I loved pretty much everything about this latest ice hockey romance from Amy. There was such a great dynamic between Cory and Roman and I loved how Cory's demisexuality was explored and was part of the plot without it being made into a big deal

There was plenty enough sports to keep me interested and I liked how each of the MCs had issues relating to trust and feelings of abandonmen
BWT (Belen)
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, I don't even know how I apparently skipped book two, The Nature of the Game , but thankfully it didn't impact my enjoyment reading Shots on Goal at all. Also, I have purchased The Nature of the Game and will be definitely reading it.

BUT! On to the review of book three in the Stick Side series Shots on Goal, an absolutely lovely one-sitting read that I couldn't power through fast enough. Something about the way Aislin writes makes me forget how much I usually dislike a book th
W.
 3.5 Stars

Reviewed on January 7, 2020

Format: Kindle Edition

Shots on Goal is an easy to read , contemporary, MM, sports , hurt/comfort romance. It's low on angst , low on steam and high on sweet and cuteness.

Even though is being promoted as a standalone , I suggest you read previous two books ; as I had to do. Overall, I was entertained reading this book. I liked it but don't love it. I prefer more UST and heat in my romance novels.

Received and read a copy of Shots on Goal through LesCourt and a
michaela ⚘
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, m-m, arc, sports-rm
“Roman had spent years making sure nobody got too close to him and now he was crushing on a guy trained to look beneath the surface.”

After losing everything Roman loved letting anyone get close again is just not something he is willing to risk. He shapes himself into a prickly hockey player with a don’t fuck with me attitude. He throws himself into the game showing his team he’s worth keeping even if he doesn’t form relationships and he’s fine with it. Just fine. Things change when he is traded
Bev
4.25 stars. Enjoyed this one. The male characters throughout the series have all been really good...hated Mitch and Dan's mum, but hey, you can't have everything 😏. Is this the end of this series? No idea, but everyone seems to be paired up at the end of this story so maybe? And it would definitely help to read the entire series, as characters thread throughout the stories.

Have to say though that there is not really a lot of hockey in the series, it's character driven.
Apolishedreader
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
My fave in the series. Review to come.
Sebastian
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, arc, m-m, 2020
Shots on Goal is the third book in the Stick Side series but it can be read as an standalone (I wouldn't recomend it). Here we have Cody (Mitch's best friend from book 1) and Roman Kinsey (the 'asshole' hockey player from book 2). I loved book 2, liked book 1 and Shots on Goal is right in the middle. I didn't remember much of Cody to have an opinion on him so let tell you that the man that we meet here is simply a delight. A bookworm, who enlist the help of a grumpy hockey player to save the lib ...more
Amy Aislin
Sep 10, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Mateo
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I just want to read a sport M/M romance.
Ruthie Taylor
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series. We first met Roman Kinsey as the unpopular loner who ate everything he could in book 2. He has now been traded to a newly formed team, and is once again feeling unsettled and temporary. In book 2 I liked that Dan was not so swift to judge Kinsey as the team, but little did I think that his backstory would be so moving.

Kinsey is so careful of not relying or trusting others that even
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Roman was betrayed by those who supposedly loved him most. Now he's closed off and unwilling to let anyone in, thanks to this betrayal. But when he meets Cody, suddenly the psych student and library lover is getting under his skin in a way he's entirely uncomfortable with. Can Roman open himself up and let Cody in? And what about Cody's own issues? Are they any less significant than Roman's demons?

I absolutely loved this story! Roman and Cody are so good together, allow themselves to love the ot
Dee
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve enjoyed the first two books in the Stick Side series, but Shots on Goal is easily my favorite. The story hooked me from page one, and I stayed up reading well into the night because I couldn’t put it down. The storyline flowed well and the characters are so wonderful. The secondary relationships that developed between Roman and his teammates and the lifelong relationship Cody has with best friend Mitch, are just as well-developed and essential to the story as the one between the main charac ...more
Veronica
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Roman Kinsey made my heart ache. His back story made me angry I cried to Roman when I saw how hard it was for him six years later to trust people, to even make basic friendships. Cody, a psychology major, could tell that Roman’s stand-offish behaviour was just a front and I loved that he was so giving and patient with Roman. But Cody isn’t perfect and has his own issues.

While this story is set around the world of hockey, I l
Anabela.M.
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everybody in the hockey world knows Roman as this grunting,gruff a**hole,avoiding all social and team interactions. Learning the reasons behind his behavior broke my heart. That's why I found him all the more endearing when,once traded to a Vermont team,he tries to change and make friends despite how much it goes against his defensive instincts.

He also meets Cody,an outgoing librarian. Watching their relationship unfold was so sweet. They're amazingly paired,the surly loner versus lively and ea
Marlobo ♥ epilogues
I slept as little as possible the three days it took me to read this story, which I adored.

Yet I must make it clear that this series has come to occupy a place among my favorites despite the challenging factor to swallow, such is extreme parental villainy. However, the case of Roman's family sounds so more plausible than what occurs in On the Ice.

It's a trait that, along with the overdone sweetness, and some weak points in the plots of her early books, Aislin has been debugging and polishing by
ML
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roman hasn’t had the easiest time in life. It’s heartbreaking really. His loneliness. Cody is definitely a bright spot in his otherwise monotonous routine..

I felt a bit edged in this book. Sex off page left me feeling pretty disappointed especially because Cody had never even had sex and I felt like I was left out of their intimacy. Sex and hockey go together. One without the other makes it feel off.

Alas, the story is very good though and I loved the ending.
Jennie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hockey player Roman's story had me invested right away.
He become friends with student and part time library volunteer through the library.
Together they bond over mutual friends and a love of reading.
Both of these men have issues because of their past.
I loved how they worked together to overcome their fears and worked together to save the library.
A sweet, romantic feel good story of friends, hockey, trust and making family.
ReadingAllNite
Jan 23, 2020 marked it as maybe-later
Shelves: amazon, m-m
Maybe I’ll read eventually. Another demisexual? And I’m seeing reviews about off-page sex, low steam, no UST. I can read a book without sex but that’s really not what I want from a hockey romance. I liked the first two but this sounds like too much of the “same old” from this series. Kind of sorry I bought this.
Jess
This book was given by the author and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted at Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews.

When given the opportunity to review this book, the third in Amy Aislin’s “Stick Side” hockey series, I was more than thrilled. These books are top-quality and always filled with amazing chemistry and unique dynamics between the characters. Though this one was a little slower for me, I still adored it, and I’m even more hyped to read more of the series—
Claudia
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet read. I really like them together ... and Romans development is so well done

Really sweet
Jennifer Reilley
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved and adored Roman and Cody. I could not put this book down
Essie
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good story with nice characters but unfortunately all the sex was off page. I like a bit more steam with my romance!
Quirks
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, m-m
3.5 Stars

I really wish I could skip the synopsis just this once and get straight to the good stuff. Alas, that can't happen so...

The protagonists are Roman Kinsey and Cody Evans. Roman is an NHL player. And because of some terrible events in his past, he doesn't trust people. He doesn't let anyone get close to him because he thinks that they'll just hurt him in the end. And if you knew what he went through, you wouldn't fault him for his caution. Unfortunately, no one knows. So everyone just thi
Amanda
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

Shots on Goal is the third stand alone in the Stick Side series by Amy Aislin. This is a MM hockey romance series that you will fall in love with.

Professional hockey player Roman Kinsey tends to close himself off which causes him to come off as a jerk. He has recently been traded from Tampa to the newly established Vermont team. Due to past trauma as a queer teen he doesn't trust anyone, keeping everyone at arms reach. It's easier to stay in the clo
Katherine
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Maybe my highest goes up to 3.5 stars. I liked this, but compared to book one and two, my enjoyment was not as high. I think it's a combination of the writing here, which I feel was more dry, kind of not that realistic to the environment, and tell rather than show, as well as my lack of perceived chemistry between Cody and Roman.

I felt the journey the characters went through wasn't all that compelling or told well, with Cody's attachment hangups because his dad was minimally present in his life
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
I’ve heard, “Never be a prisoner of your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.” Shots on Goal is an example of why our past should not consume us. As a fan of Amy Aislin’s standalone Stick Side series I didn’t see this match-up coming… and yet it works!

Roman Kinsey is your classic (maybe crass) LGBTQ heartbreak-to-triumph story, with all the emotional scars and misunderstandings to prove it. When Cody meets Kinsey, his reputation proceeds him, so he’s taken aback to find the man read
ButtonsMom2003
Shelves: blog, favorites, purchased
Fantastic!

I have loved this series so much and Shots on Goal is a fantastic addition. In my review of book two, The Nature of the Game, I said I hoped that Kinsey would get a book. He does and Shots on Goal is it. You don't need to have read the previous books to enjoy Shots on Goal but you'd be missing two wonderful stories if you don't read them.

Shots on Goal takes place in 2011, towards the end of the timeline of The Nature of the Game. Roman Kinsey has been traded from Tampa's NHL team to th
Didi
4.5 Stars

SHOTS ON GOAL is so good - my favorite of Aislin’s “Stick Side” series! When I first saw Cody paired with Kinsey (well, he was Roman to Cody but readers of this series recognized him as Kinsey first), I was curious but wary on how things would go about bringing them together. I should’ve put more trust in Aislin’s delivery. This third installment packed with emotional roller coaster of romantic, familial love, but also friendships.

Kinsey was always said as an asshole though I had never
Reflections of a Swede
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Shots on Goal is a hockey romance of the M/M, jock-meets-nerd variety – which I love. And I thought I knew exactly what I’d be getting with this read. I chose it more or less as a comfort read; a familiar storyline of closeted athlete meets out-and-proud, sprinkled with angst and sexytimes followed by a happily ever after. And in a sense, that is the gist of the story, but it was a bit more than that.

This is actually the third installment in the Stick Side series. And no, I haven’t read the two
Carra
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can I just tell you right up front how much I loved Cody? He’s a bit quirky and I love that he works in a library. He is an excellent match for Roman, perfectly balancing out Roman’s seemingly uptight, loner manner. Cody plays a big part in Roman’s attitude change, helping to lighten things up.

The fact that Cody is demisexual and Roman’s reluctance to enter into a relationship with a man (there’s that “no coming out in sports” thing for you) both contribute to the relaxed, slow evolution of firs
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Blindside Hit (Toronto Wolverines #1)
  • Roughing (Portland Seabirds, #1)
  • Changing the Rules (Crashing, #3)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Power Play (Denver Direwolves, #1)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Trade Deadline (Hat Trick, #3)
  • Name From a Hat Trick
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Next Season
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
  • Sugar and Ice (Arizona Raptors, #4)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Guarding Garrett (Hockey Allies Bachelor Bid)
  • Out in Spring (Out in College, #6)
  • Locked Heart
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
Amy's lived with her head in the clouds since she first picked up a book as a child, and being fluent in two languages means she's read a lot of books! She first picked up a pen on a rainy day in fourth grade when her class had to stay inside for recess. Tales of treasure hunts with her classmates eventually morphed into love stories between men, and she's been writing ever since. She writes eveni ...more

Stick Side (4 books)
  • On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Risking the Shot (Stick Side #4)