Start by marking “Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)

Strange Love

(Galactic Love #1)

He's awkward. He's adorable. He's alien as hell.
Zylar of Kith Balak is a four-time loser in the annual Choosing. If he fails to find a nest guardian this time, he'll lose his chance to have a mate for all time. Desperation drives him to try a matching service but due to a freak solar flare and a severely malfunctioning ship AI, things go way off course. This 'human being'
Published January 15th 2020

Start your review of Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)
Alexis Hall
I really enjoyed this. It takes real skill not to let a batshit premise overwhelm the actual story you’re telling—and while Strange Love is unabashedly a romp (it has talking dog for heaven’s sake), it takes itself and its characters exactly seriously enough.

Beryl, a hot mess of a human from contemporary earth (along with her dog, Snaps) is accidentally abducted by an alien being called Zylar and whisked back to his own planet to partake in a ritual after which she will become his life partner.
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 3.5 Stars

Story 5 Strange but Sweet Love Stars

THIS story had everything I love in Sci-Fi Romance.

Little to no relationship angst – The h gets taken by an alien. Instead of freaking out completely and for an extended amount of time, she goes with the flow. I know that’s unrealistic, but it’s what I prefer.

Little to no couple separation – For the most part, it’s a close proximity romance/relationship which allows for no ridiculous misunderstandings.

A true ET Hero – The H is a cross between an
Rachel
5 Stars

Delightful! This story features my new favorite pairing: cinnamon roll falls hard for sunshine MC.

From the first scenes, I was hooked. I adored these two gentle and soft characters, often laughing out loud at their early miscommunications. I was highlighting every other section, until it seemed liked I was highlighting the entire story!

Unlike many scifi stories, where the two MCs fall madly in lust upon first sight, things are more nuanced with this couple. They appear completely "alien"
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

Are you ready to walk a bit outside your romance comfort zone? If the answer is yes, Strange Love might just be the romance for you. As a fan of Star Trek when I became an adult, I wondered what some of the interesting pitfalls a couple might have if they were from two separate species. James T. Kirk always seemed to fin
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
43853453._SY475_

Zylar from Kith B’alak colony Barath is getting desperate.
After being rejected for a nest-mate at the choosing on numerous occasions he has arranged through an alien matching service for an off-world companion.
But instead of his arranged intended he accidentally abducts Beryl Bowman and her dog Skip from Earth after a solar flare manages to disrupt his Onboard AI Helix.
Now with no way to return her and knowing this is his last chance for a potential match he offers her the same deal as his previ
I don’t believe you can read this online anymore but it can be purchased as an ebook (or read in KU if you have a subscription). I’ll be posting a proper review soon but this really is an adorable romance between a human & an alien that looks like a giant beetle. Yup, I’m surprised how on board I was for that too but Ann Aguirre makes it work LOL
___________________

New online serial from Ann Aguirre, you can read it on her website here: http://www.annaguirre.com/strange-lov...
aarya
“There you go, some common ground,” she said, smiling.

The translator must have fritzed because Zylar took a step toward her, churring, and he said seriously, “No ground that you stand upon could ever be common, Beryl Bowman.”

This is so funny and charming. A sci-fi romcom with aliens. I started laughing when the dog started talking and never stopped. Nuanced worldbuilding and the sex was so well-done.

Andrea
3.75

"Being abducted really is the best thing that ever happened to me."

I've read similar books before, but I just thought the characters were so darn cute together!

description

Also some of the dog scenes, and Beryl's goofy humor really did make me laugh out loud at times.
I really had a lot of fun with this one- check it out if you have KU.

Hearts And Tea Cups
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aliens
I'm a sucker for Alien Abduction romances, and it had been a while since I read one. When I read the blurb of this book it picked my curiosity.

My alien males are usually strong Alpha types whereas here the alien is sweet, shy and a bit awkward. And really looks like an alien, not just a humanoid male that's silver, black, Grey, blue or even purple. It was a nice change. In this case it was the human woman who had "balls" and was the Alpha of the relationship if you will. It was an interesting d
Helen
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent !
Mei
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Here we have a truly wonderful and very adorable beta alien hero!!!!
I also like that the heroine wasn't whining all the time, but acted in an intelligent way!
A truly beatiful love story!
Amanda
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I see your true colors shining through!

4½⭐︎ rounded up.

Zylar has never had the luck—not the good kind, anyway, he is the Jan Brady of his line, always compared to an undeserving Marsha—and his time is running out. Having failed 4 times at the Choosing, he knows he's on borrowed time with his fifth coming up. He fails to be Chosen again, he will be neutered, evicted from the family home, and forced into the life of a service drone, shaming his family one last time. It's bad enough that Zylar was
Bree Lauren
Jul 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
♡ Scifi Romance
♡ Alien robot hero
♡ Romcom
♡ Hilarious talking dog
♡ Cinnamon Roll hero

I know, those bullet points sound ridiculous, and that's because they are, but omg this was so cute. I laughed out loud so many times, especially during the talking dog scenes. Also, if you ever wondered what a cinnamon roll alien robot hero would be like, look no further. I did have a hard time with the steamy scenes because they were just... super weird, but not necessarily in a good way. You'll have to read it
Rosabel
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Strange Love was strange indeed but endearing as hell.

I love when the main guy is not an entitled prick who thinks he's irresistible and that by showing his dick women will fall all over him. This guy/alien was a little bit insecure, a little bit of a nerd and apparently not very appealing based on his people standars. After failing 4 times to secure a mate he has a last shot, so he accidentally kidnaps a human girl to compete in The Choice and choose him.

The worldbuilding is really good, the w
Patron Saint Fitzwilliam
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 very weird stars. I mean. *clutches pearls* THIS. BOOK.
I read a lot of weird stuff, funny stuff, hot stuff, absurd stuff (hello? men wanting to please women as their goal in LIFE is most definitely fantasy!) BUT I DIGRESS.

THIS. BOOK.

How, Ann? How did you make me finish this book? I just can't. Zylar is NOT IN THE LEAST BIT HUMAN. I mean, he's a sweet cinnamon roll. Rejected by his alien kind as undesirable. Desperate for a mate. But for all intents and purposes he's a friggin alien insectoid b
SheLove2Read
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Ann Aguirre is a hit or miss for me. Luckily this time was a pleasant surprise, and I enjoyed reading something a little different. Lots of smiles and a few laugh out loud moments! 3.5 stars
Kelly
I am very much a mood reader and my mood lately has been pretty solidly in the "alien finds love with a human" range. I believe I can emphatically say I have a fair amount of literary experience in this particular scenario at this point in time. So when I say OMG! ZYLAR AND BERYL ARE SO FREAKING FUN you're just going to have to trust me. THEY ARE SO FREAKING FUN!

Our alien hero is seriously sweet, sort of prim and repressed when all is said and done, and very, VERY desperate for a mate. Not becau
Jessie
Wow. Just wow. I'm still processing.

IT'S OFFICIAL–THIS IS NUMBER ONE ON MY LIST OF BEST REALISTIC AND HILARIOUS SCI-FI ROMANCE STORIES.

description

This story was adorable, hilarious, innocent, uncanny, cutthroat, kinky and everything else in-between.

The thing that I love most about this book is that I had no idea where it was going. None. Unconventional praise I know but the plot was fucking genius.
AvidReader
Loved the story and concept but the hero and hot scenes were a little too alien-ish for me.
Safe.
Motaung
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars of what the hell happened to the cute book I started with!

I read this book as a Sci-fi May book of the month for Gotta Have Romance with a Kick group. I wasn't planning to write a review until I started putting my thoughts down in the group thread and I realised that I had so much to say. So I have just copied my comment from the group to here.

"So I read this and I liked it okay, it was funny at times and a whole lot of cute, until it wasn't. It sort of felt like someone different wrot
Ariadna
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'd seen a promo about this book and, based solely on the fact that it sounded CRACKY AF + how much I'd enjoyed this author's The Third Mrs. Durst, I decided to buy a copy of it.

Started reading it last night and ended up practically devouring the novel until the wee hours. There was SO MUCH I liked, y'all.

The blurb is pretty good as far as giving readers an idea of what kind of adventure this book might be. Though I do have to point out that the plot ends up being way meatier and fascinating.

OT
Hart_D
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I borrowed this from KU on a whim, and I'm so glad I was adventurous. I definitely wasn't expecting to absolutely love it. But it's a really warm and sweet romance, with a good plot and unusual sex scenes.

And just not heteronormative at all! I was thinking that all along, but then Beryl turned out to be bi/pan, so it makes sense. Additionally, the aliens' gender roles don't match human ideas. There is also a nonbinary side character, a plantlike alien, who is on their own path in lif
The_Book_Queen
4 1/2 STARS

Very fun! Especially with Snaps, the talking dog.

I'll be honest: I didn't think I'd end up rooting for an insect-like alien hero but he was very sweet to the heroine and I really liked how Ann approached sex for these two (definitely not heteornormative in any way, and I fucking loved that!). I really want to know what other stories Ann will tell in this world, I know her note at the end mentioned the AI and I am very curious to see that.
Barbara Elsborg
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. What a breath of fresh air. A humorous, touching alien love story. I rarely read MF romance these days but since our hero isn't the M I'm used to, LOL, it was such a treat. The pace never flagged, the emotions were real, the dog was so cute. I struggle sometimes with the detail in sci fi stories but not at all in this one. I could actually picture the hero in my head (though the cover helped) It was pure magic! Well done. ...more
Amanda
I already love the written version of this story, and when I saw it available on Audible—and on SALE!—I decided to give it a go for times when I want to listen to a story I love and am unable to read. The narration on this one is a perfect fit and added to the experience. She had a nice subtle way of changing her voice for each character so I always knew who was speaking in scenes with multiple characters.
Jeanne
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC! Full review coming.
Mara
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
It was fun, and cute. Definitely icky.
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
Jun 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Really liked it! Zylar is so amazing! He’s so sweet and kind. I love him so much. Beryl was great too! She’s so strong and brave. I am so happy they found each other.
❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS
As a huge ginormous & obsessed fan of anything alien/sci-fi and or apocalyptic (which Ann Aguirre does well) I was so looking forward to this book and couldn't wait to see this author's take on a sci-fi romance. I am happy to report I loved this book and the original concepts the author brought to the table. This is no typical I was abducted by an alien and now we fall in love book. Beryl, the heroine, is taken by Zylar, mistaken for his mate and brought to his home-world. Once the two realize a ...more
Jaye Berry
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so good wtf. This book was everything I needed, don't @ me.

Strange Love is about a woman named Beryl who gets abducted by an alien named Zylar. Zylar has lost the Choosing four times and this time is his last. Unless he and his intended win, he has to give up everything, including ever having a mate. With no other ideas, he tries a matching service but after a freak solar flare that messes up his ship AI, things go off course and he accidentally abducts Beryl and her dog.

I feel like Ann

• Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Homebound
  • Two Princes of Summer (Whims of Fae, #1)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3)
  • Rend : A Short Story
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • Heart's Prisoner (Dark World Mates #1)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Broken Earth (Argurma Salvager, #1)
  • The Luminous Dead
  • Savaged
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions, #1)
  • Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)
  • Beyond the Next Star (Love Beyond #1)
  • Saving Askara (Saving Askara #1)
See top shelves…
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Ann Aguirre has been a clown, a clerk, a savior of stray kittens, and a voice actress, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in Mexico with her family. She writes all kinds of genre fiction, but she has an eternal soft spot for a happily ever after.

Galactic Love (3 books)
  • Love Code (Galactic Love, #2)
  • Renegade Love (Galactic Love #3)

Articles featuring this book

Talia Hibbert is a USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. A lifelong bookworm, she’s known for haunting the local library,...
“As the combatant fell, she shouted, “This is Sparta!” Because obviously.” 4 likes
“Snaps fell back onto his butt, staring at the seedlings with wide eyes. “Am I…a father?” “Sort of,” Beryl said. Zylar churred, amusement overwhelming him. Then Snaps lay down in front of the plants with a determined sound. “I will protect you, tiny green dirt dogs.” 3 likes