Start by marking “The Wolf and the Woodsman” as Want to Read:

The Wolf and the Woodsman

In the vein of Naomi Novik’s New York Times bestseller Spinning Silver and Katherine Arden’s national bestseller The Bear and the Nightingale, this unforgettable debut— inspired by Hungarian history and Jewish mythology—follows a young pagan woman with hidden powers and a one-eyed captain of the Woodsmen as they form an unlikely alliance to thwart a tyrant.

In her forest-v
Published June 8th 2021 by Del Rey

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 08, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of THE WOLF AND THE WOODSMAN by Ava Reid.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 7298 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 14 - Jun 28, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf and the Woodsman, please sign up.
    Angela By The Bookcase Adult. The intended age is adults, the sophistication of the themes is geared towards adults, and the age of the characters are decidedly adults too. …moreAdult. The intended age is adults, the sophistication of the themes is geared towards adults, and the age of the characters are decidedly adults too. Younger readers could read it (note TWs for gore and violence) but they aren't the target audience and may not find it interesting/relatable or appreciate the depth of the story depending on what they are looking for. (less)

Start your review of The Wolf and the Woodsman
    chai ♡
    First of all, you cannot liken this book to both Naomi Novik’s Spinning Silver and Katherine Arden’s The Bear and the Nightingale and not expect me to go unfathomably unhinged ...more
    Alix Harrow
    Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    this book. has everything?? a nuanced and brutal view of the violence of nation-building and the complexities of cultural identity, AND ALSO a prideful, tortured prince brought to his knees--his 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝓮𝓼--by his doomed and fragile love--

it has the unsettling-but-compelling gore of henderson's The Year of the Witching, the folkloric lilt of The Bear and the Nightingale, and the moral complexity of Seeing Like a State. i'm......obsessed.
    ELLIAS (elliasreads)
    Apr 30, 2021 marked it as to-read
    an adult inspired fairy tale-esque book ??!! GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE!!!
    Cait (Caitsbooks)
    Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!
    Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Quick Stats:
    Overall:
    5/5 Stars
    Characters: 5/5
    Setting: 5/5
    Writing: 5/5
    Plot and Themes: 4.5/5
    Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
    Review in a Nutshell: It’s official. I’m adding this book to my "books I will not shut up about" list.

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Mature Content, Self Harm (for Magic/Religion), Child Abuse, Abuse, Animal Death, War Them
    Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
    I received a copy of this book to review. This in no way changes my opinion of the book.

Rated 4.5/5 stars!

This is the kind of story that seeps into your very bones.

It's both haunting and beautiful, brutal and magical. It's so many contradictions in one, and yet it all just works. The mythology is so prominent within the story, and you can really feel the atmosphere seeping into your skin as you're pulled in.

This isn't a story for the faint hearted - while seemingly whimsical with its magic an
    Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
    a beautifully wrought and surprisingly romantic tale that is rich with real-life political allusions. rtc!

> 4 stars

why yes, I am absolutely obsessed with the fact that so many dark woodsy books with wolf in the title seem to be coming out in 2021!!

okay fine maybe it's like . . . 2 books . . . this one and For the Wolf

a note: a lot of people are marking this as YA but it's actually adult pals <3 just a heads up

thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review!
    Ava Reid
    Dec 17, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Since ARCs of my book are beginning to enter the world (and I am henceforth banning myself from Goodreads, which is a space for readers, not authors), I thought it would be a good time to provide some grounding and content warnings for THE WOLF & THE WOODSMAN.

I've pitched this book as having a "magic system based on body horror," which is I think apt - and so, naturally, there are a lot of graphic, on-the-page depictions of gore. (I've listed out the various iterations of that below).

I think i
    Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
    I am so, so in love.

If you stare long enough into the darkness of the forest, eventually something will stare right back.

CW : (view spoiler)

Above everything, The Wolf and the Woodsman is about the power of stories , how they shape and mold us — how they can soothe us and yet pierce our h
    Samantha Shannon
    Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    As this is still a few months away I won't spoil too much with a long review, but The Wolf and the Woodsman is an extraordinary debut. Every single facet and detail, from the first page to the last, is so beautifully wrought, from the lyrical descriptions of nature to the tortured, slow-burn romance.

Pre-order this as a gift to yourself for the summer.
    Romie
    full review here

I'm in pain. the way this book was so deeply Jewish hurt my heart. I feel like I've just read a love letter to Jewish culture and history. I absolutely fell in love with Évike and Gáspár, mean girl and soft boy of the month.

I can't exactly why I'm writing this and crying at the same time. this book simply meant a lot to me, and finishing it seriously feels like saying goodbye to a part of myself. watch me reread it whenever I need to feel seen and loved.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
    TW: gore, genocide, abuse & torture, antisemitism

Such a beautiful, heart-rendering book.

It goes without saying, I truly loved The Wolf and the Woodsman, and I'll try to convey why in my brief review (with my health these days, it's difficult to write anything long and analytical, so I hope this will suffice). But the most important aspect is the representation, including Jewish representation, survival of abuse, and the honest depictions of persecution, oppression, and ethnic cleansing--all of w
    Elle
    Apr 21, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    Yes I would like all the Eastern European inspired fantasies thank youuuuuu ✨
    anna (½ of readsrainbow)
    take a shot every time gáspár kneels

rep: Hungarian-coded setting & cast, Hungarian-Ottoman-coded disabled li, Jewish-coded characters, sapphic side characters
    tw: magic requiring self harm, blood, body horror, eye horror, gore, dismemberment, torture, antisemitism, ethnic cleansing, child abuse, animal death
    Robin
    Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    WOW. full rtc
    WhiskeyintheJar

“The Woodsmen,” she gasps. “They're coming for you.”

When the Woodsmen came for Evike's mother, the seer Virag took her in, now fifteen years later, Virag is facing her mother's fate. Evike is “barren” she has no ability for the three skills, forge metal; flame; and healing, blessed from their god Isten, so in order to save Katalin, the young seer,
    Alyssa
    I really, really enjoyed this book. What a masterpiece of lore. The author combines Jewish ethnoreligious culture and dark fantasy into an entrancing and fearful story. I think I will reread this book before writing my review.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: this book is an adult fiction novel. NOOOOOTTTTT Young Adult fiction.

TW: mutilation, body horror, violence.

*** Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog ***

The Wolf & The Woodsman by Ava Reid
    Publisher: Harper Voyager
    Publication Date: June 8, 2021
    Rating
    Shelley Parker-Chan
    Oh world, you aren’t ready for this magisterial, stunningly aesthetic work of faith and mythology. Do you maybe like beautiful, mutilated enemy love interests who look good on their knees? DO YOU?
    Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
    Sometimes you read a book and feel as though you just don't have the words to adequately describe the ache of emotion it's left within you and the brand it's blazed across your soul. This is one of those books for me.

First, I want explain just why I chose to pick this book up. It wasn't just that it's been likened to two of my personal favorites: The Bear and the Nightingale and The Witcher. Those comparisons surely fit. It wasn't just that it has a dark, woodsy fantasy setting, with a wild girl
    Beatrice in Bookland
    Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
    "I won't believe you, unless you kneel."

Such a good debut, not perfect by any means but I was glued to the book from the very first page.

The atmosphere was fantastic, the woods and the city felt like real places and Ava accomplished that without writing the typical boring descriptions that are long just for the sake of being long.

The entire storyline revolving around Évike and her father? Amazing. I could actually feel how much our protagonist was yearning for that bond and seeing her father emb
    charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
    i am RUINED

Rep: Jewish characters, sapphic side characters

CWs: magic requiring self harm, eye horror, gore, dismemberment, torture, animal deaths, Antisemitism, ethnic cleansing, child abuse
    ✨ A ✨
    Jan 26, 2021 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2021-release, arcs, adult
    you mention spinning silver and the bear and the nightingale AND I AM THERE.

CONTENT WARNINGS (as provided by the author)
    (view spoiler)
    Carole (Carole's Random Life)
    This review can also be found at https://carolesrandomlife.com/

I loved this book! Every once in a while you stumble upon a special kind of story that completely transports you to a different world. I almost felt like I was living in the book with the characters while I read this amazing story. I cared about the characters and wanted to see things work out for them. I found the book impossible to set aside once I started reading and thoroughly enjoyed the entire reading experience.

Évike lives in
    Brigid
    Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    description

Find this review and more at The Alliterates

Trigger Warnings: dismemberment, amputation, mutilation, whipping, self-harm, antisemitism, ethnic cleansing, cultural genocide, physical abuse by parental figures/parents, vomiting, animal death, torture.

Thank you to Harper Voyager for providing an e-arc via Netgalley.

The Wolf and The Woodsman by Ava Reid is like being caught in a wolf’s gaping maw, such an awe-full and wild creature. The writing is old and true, every word and sentence on fire and a
    Nasi
    May 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
    I am so so sad that this didn't work out. With all the comparisons with Naomi Novik and Katherine Arden I was sure it would be my favourite. Now I'm worried about For the Wolf , another upcoming release that is compared with Novik and Arden.

The entire plot of this story revolves around heroine trying to save the people who severely abused her all her life. Personally, I found that extremely triggering and can't continue with this book. Personally, I believe that it's not the responsibility of
    Renaissance Kate
    Mar 10, 2021 is currently reading it
    I've heard so many good things about this book and the premise sounds amazing!!

Thank you to Avon and Harper Voyager via Netgalley for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
    Brittany Smith
    Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the publishers and Edelweiss for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I also won an ARC from Ava Reid’s Instagram and got it personalized! Thank you so much Ava!

First off, I would agree that this title is comparable to Katherine Arden’s Winternight trilogy and Naomi Novik’s Spinning Silver, yet remains all its own. Regardless, if you liked those either of those series/books, I guarantee you’ll like this one!

The Wolf and the Woodsman follows Evike, a magic-less girl in a village
    ivan
    Feb 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
    out of all the hungarian names did they really have to be named ÉVIKE AND GÁSPÁR i sadly cant take these names seriously
    ---
    for someone who hates living in hungary i sure add books mentioning hungary awfully fast(even tho i have no idea how this is related to hungarian history but ig i’ll find out)
    Dannii Elle
    Évike is the only woman, residing in her small Pagan village, lacking any magical powers. It first ensured she was outcast and then that she was sacrificed to the king. A Woodsman was tasked with bringing her to court but when a monster attacked them and their soldier guards slaughtered, these two enemies had to find a way to work together in order to survive. Évike discovered a lot about herself during this time, and just as much as the individual, travelling under the disguise of a Woodsman, w ...more
    gauri
    Jun 15, 2021 rated it liked it
    the wolf and the woodsman was one of my most anticipated books but i found it underwhelming for most parts but not entirely a bad read.

what i liked: the atmosphere. i LOVE such settings and Reid's writing truly transports you to the place with the metaphors. the dark fairytale aesthetic was on point. it was beautifully combined with the magic system, folklore and the different religions to exist that gave deep insight into the worldbuilding. the story gripped me in the first half.

i didn't care
    Brittany (whatbritreads)
    Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: adult, romance, fantasy
    Honestly, it had me at the gorgeous cover, map and pronunciation guide. It really only got better from there. This was literally flawless!!!! Completely worth all the hype - read it.

Where do I even start? The writing here was absolutely gorgeous, I’ve never read body horror so poetically. The world was so gradually and thoroughly introduced, it felt so fairy-tale like in its execution. There was no info-dumping or confusion, it felt so easy to jump into. Truly a magical little gem of a book. It

• For the Wolf (Wilderwood, #1)
    • She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor, #1)
    • A Dowry of Blood
    • Down Comes the Night
    • The Beautiful Ones
    • Realm Breaker (Realm Breaker, #1)
    • A Spindle Splintered
    • The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)
    • The Love Hypothesis
    • Malice (Malice Duology #1)
    • The Ones We're Meant to Find
    • The Maidens
    • Ariadne
    • In the Ravenous Dark
    • The Shadow in the Glass
    • The Dead and the Dark
    • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
    • All the Murmuring Bones
    See top shelves…
    Ava Reid was born in Manhattan and raised right across the Hudson River in Hoboken, but currently lives in Palo Alto, where the weather is too sunny and the people are too friendly. She has a degree in political science from Barnard College, focusing on religion and ethnonationalism. She has worked for a refugee resettlement organization, for a U.S. senator, and, most recently, for an AI robotics ...more

Articles featuring this book