Start by marking “Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)

Voices in the Snow

(Black Winter #1)

Clare remembers the cold. She remembers abandoned cars and children’s toys littered across the road. She remembers dark shapes in the snow and a terror she can’t explain. And then…nothing.

When she wakes, aching and afraid in a stranger’s gothic home, he tells her she was in an accident. He claims he saved her. Clare wants to leave, but a vicious snowstorm has blanketed the
Kindle Edition

Start your review of Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
Latasha
I'm still kinda new to Darcy Coates. This book was picked as the January group read for (the group) Creatures, Creatures Everywhere. i bought it and began reading a little early. Darcy weaves an original tale full of foreboding and unease. I enjoyed this setting, the huge, empty and creepy old house. i liked the characters and didn't even mind the little bit of romance thrown in. i didn't mind that some things were not fully explained. (view spoiler) ...more
NicholeReadsWithCats
Wow! This is absolutely one of my favorite reads by this author. Once I was a few chapters in it became impossible to stop reading but I also wanted to slow it down so it lasted longer!

I'm going to try to do this with no spoilers.
Dorran and Claire quickly became two of my favorite characters from a fiction book. They were unique, quirky and lovable. The story was a new spin on a subject that frequents supernatural fiction. I really enjoyed the authors interpretation.

I personally enjoyed the
Becky Stephens
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Darcy Coates is an excellent storyteller, and this book is no exception!

Dropping right into the action, this is a rollercoaster of emotions, with a nice twist toward the end.

The only downside is that I have to wait five months for the sequel. Speaking of which... While this book does have a tidy ending, it certainly leaves the plot open for more action.

I recommend to all fans of horror who also don't mind a bit of romance.
Jamie Davis
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darcy Coates writes horror in a way that creates both dread at what’s to come and fascination about what the next pages will bring—exactly what I look for in this genre.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Black Winter, but Dorran and Clare’s story created a perfect blend of those qualities and ended at the perfect place to lead up to book two. A blend of horror, apocalypse, and dystopian created a fantastic plot, and I’m waiting with great anticipation for April when book two releases.

I’ve yet
Brandy
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A world event that leaves citizens confused, scared, missing and in grave danger. News reports are confusing and conflicting, but one thing is for sure — whole cities are going dark and those who enter don’t come out. Clare, living hours from her family, tries to reach them by car as the dark areas spread. She then wakes up in an isolated mansion with a handsome stranger who saved her life and has no recollection of how she got there or what happened to her on the way. Unprecedented snow buries ...more
Brenda
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different but good

Black Winter was different from what I expect from Darcy Coates, but different can be a good thing! This story unfolded in such a way that I kept guessing about what was going on. Thing is what I kept thinking was nothing compared to what the storyline provided . The plot was gripping , and alive visually. I could imagine the areas of the castle as well as the characters, some of which were to scary to even imagine. The ending was unexpected and leaves me anxious to read the
Marian
This is the third full novel of Darcy Coates’ that I have read (I’ve also read a novella by her) and probably my least favorite so far, but it was still reasonably entertaining.

This one was a little different from her others, but also a little of the same. It’s still a horror, and still contains monsters, which I think Darcy does really well. The scares were spine-tingling and she did a really good job capturing an eerie, oppressive environment.

The differences lie in the fact that this is the
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
This was my first Darcy Coates book, but won't be my last! I ended up reading this for 3 reasons. One, it is the January group read for "Creatures, Creatures Everywhere!", two, for the #LadiesFirst20 challenge and three, for the free space in the Cancelathon readathon going on this month.

It starts off with Clare wanting to relax like she normally does on Sundays, with a good book, but it seems cities all over the world are suddenly going quiet. They can't be contacted. Anyone who goes in never
Eddie York
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book one and a sequel is on the way which I will be looking out for.

This is very well written and quite long which is impressive given the very small cast and limited location. Set entirely in and around a house in the middle of a forest.

Clare is on her way through the snow during an unspecified disaster. She crashes and wakes up in Winterbourne Hall surrounded by deep snow. Her only companion is a taciturn man with many secrets. Is he good or bad?

The story keeps you guessing for a long
Matthew King
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book one and a sequel is on the way which I will be looking out for.

The story keeps you guessing for a long
Katelyn
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great horror story for winter. The chilly and bleak atmosphere of winter is integral to this book. I only wish I'd read this curled up next to a fire while it snowed outside.

When Clare wakes up in a sprawling manor home with only one current resident, she can't remember the events leading to her car crash including why she was out in such a bad snow storm. The man who found her helps her recover, but she starts seeing strange, monstrous things. Faced with missing memories and horrific
Roxanne M.
Definitely much different story than I expected!!
It becomes a story about apocalyptic events around the world transforming humans into flesh eating I half insect zombies. With all my heart I wish the book would have continued on and developed into a stronger story about the blossoming romance between the two main characters.
The whole zombie thing totally ruined the book for me. The preview of the story says there’s something waiting for the female character than is dark and foreboding so I
Christine Lamitina
This felt like a huge departure from the author's other books. Which suffice to say, was a huge disappointment. I loved her traditional atmospheric gothic books (The Carrow Haunt, Haunting of Ashburn House) and even her more recent book (Haunted).

In contrast, this read more like a PG-13 romance for the first 60% of the book. Neither of the characters seemed realistic, nor was I invested in their development. Having read in other reviews that the book takes a detour in tone/character around the
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

***A Favorite Read of mine in 2019/2020***

4.5 stars.

This is a really great read. Darcy Coates never fails.

I take half a star off though because the twist (view spoiler) didn't really add anything special.
I didn't like it. It would have been better without it.

Also, (view spoiler)
Jye
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
a good enough story, the characters feel like they are written a bit oddly but overall likeable. I enjoyed the first 65-70% of the book much more than the remainder of the book as it seemed to change genres and felt like the book become an entirely new story (view spoiler)

I’ll read the next one to see how it goes but unless it is better
Celeste
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speechless!!!

I downloaded this book to my kindle by mistake and decided not to waste it so I started reading a bit. In all honesty I haven't been able to easily put it down since. This was a page turner!!! It's a thrilling, sci-fi, romance and horror all rolled into one.

I can't wait to read part 2!
Alli
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just ok

Sad this one fell a little flat for me. I usually love her books but unfortunately this one was not my favorite. This was definitely a departure from her normal ghost stories. It is about an apocalypse of sorts that affects the human race. It will be told in 2 books and I will probably read the second one to see what happened though.
Cristy Bramhall
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and frightening new world of what could become. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. The endless possibilities of what can happen in a world that seems normal and then one day everything is not as it seems and everyday is a survival of not only the mind but your life. Can't wait for the next installment ... Way too far away.
Gmaharriet
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clare loses control of her car in an early fall snow storm. She wakes up in a large mansion owned by Dorran, who rescued her and brought her home. Trapped for weeks by the snow and cold, they seem to be alone, except that she keeps seeing human-like monsters that he can't see.

The story is unusally bloody for a Darcy Coates book. A very chaste romance develops, seemingly aimed at young teens, but the violence is more adult. I deducted one star for that. I enjoyed the story. A sequel is coming out
Jessie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant!
Start to finish, I was captivated by every word. My first read by Darcy Coates and I've got to say she is one hell of a writer. Every scene was finely written and scared my socks off! The characters were realistic, their emotion and feelings expressed in gut-wrenching detail. My goodness. I can't wait for book two.
Rebecka
Review will be coming soon, but I loved this. It was very different to standard Darcy Coates fare but it contained much of what makes a Darcy Coates book distinctly hers. I preordered the second book as soon as I finished it, and now I have to wait until April : ( would highly recommend.
Mary
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Not my favorite from this author, but kept my interest. She created a great atmosphere inside the mansion. The main characters were alright, if not predictable. I will read follow up novel.
M.M. Wedin
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I love end of world mysterious scenarios and this one fit the bill perfectly! I'm not one for series, but as soon as I finished this one I wanted to grab the second!

Highly recommend for readers of horror, suspense and post apocalyptic.

A well deserving 5 stars from me
Serenity
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Darcy Coates is such a great writer! I've read several of her books, and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. The twist in this book was awesome! I definitely didn't see it coming! Definite recommend!!
Heather
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend! So happy when she a new book out and this one doesn't disappoint!

Darcy is my favorite writer, I love her books and this one didn't disappoint. I like the characters, the mysteries and even the length of the book (of course it could have been another 200 pages and I would have been thrilled) . I look forward to the next book, part 2. If I had a complaint, which I don't really, it would be that it wasn't quite as scary as some of her other books. But honestly there were some
Abigail M.Q.
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At her finest

Darcy Coates mesmerized me with this tale of reluctant affections and heinous villains. I cant say enough good things about this captivating work.
Amy Wissing
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Darcy Coates gets better and better. Creepy with several mysteries working at once. Ends on a cliffhanger and I was so bummed to learn i have to wait until April 2020 for book two.
Nancy Drew
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Alexis
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Usually love Darcy Coates books, but this was not my favorite...
Karen Barnes
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done and interesting if a person likes post-apocolyptic stories. Recommend ...more

• The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • This Haunted World Book Three: Highgate: A Truly Haunting Supernatural Thriller
  • Escape From Hotel Necro
  • The Haunting of Silver Creek Lodge (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 15)
  • The Haunting of the King's Head
  • The Experiments (The Bayou Hauntings Book 5)
  • The Strangler's Daughter
  • Anger and Death: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Tormented Souls Series Book 2)
  • The Haunting of The House on Hill Road
  • Shepherd's Warning
  • Natural Born Witch (Witches of Palmetto Point #8)
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • Billy Whistler
  • Dark Halls
  • Coffin Cemetery: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Tormented Souls Series Book 1)
  • In the Dark
  • Eve: A Christmas Short Horror Story
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a

Black Winter (4 books)
  • Secrets in the Dark (Black Winter Book 2)
  • Whispers in the Mist (Black Winter #3)
  • Silence in the Shadows