Start by marking “Here Lie the Secrets” as Want to Read:
Here Lie the Secrets

Here Lie the Secrets

Mia’s best friend Holly died when they were thirteen. But years later, Holly still hasn’t left her.

Spending the summer in New York, Mia is hoping to escape the visions of Holly that haunt her life at home. There she meets Rav, a parapsychology student, who convinces her to take part in a study into why some people see ghosts. Soon she is caught up in the investigation of H
Published May 14th 2020 by Stripes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Here Lie the Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Lie the Secrets

Start your review of Here Lie the Secrets
Schizanthus Nerd
Do you believe in ghosts?
Mia is visiting her aunt in Brooklyn over the summer and plans on hanging out with her friend, Tamara, as they save up for their planned road trip.

Meeting Rav was not on the agenda, nor was spending time with him and his colleagues from the Parapsychology Research Institute as they investigate a potential haunting.

Mia is already haunted by the death of her best friend, Holly, and is certainly not wanting to cross paths with any other ghosts.

It is clear the autho
Gayle Noble
Mia sees her best friend Holly everywhere: in class, in the street, in her bedroom. The problem is, Holly died when they were thirteen. When she goes to stay in New York, Mia hopes to lay Holly's ghost to rest, but she becomes involved in a parapsychology study and the investigation into Halcyon House, supposedly the site of a poltergeist haunting which caused the death of a young girl.

I thought this was an okay read. Although the characters were well-written, I didn't really feel drawn into th
Rianne
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here lie the secrets is a book about grief, forgiveness, and dealing with ghosts from the past. But it's also a book about ghosts, which I was not expecting. I thought part 1 was a bit slow, but I got really into part 2 and the scenes in Halycon house, and understand the need for part 1. The actual thrilling parts probably could have been longer, but they did keep me on the edge of my seat and had me scared, so I guess Young succeeded with her thriller writing, even if it was a little short for ...more
Heather Love
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is promoted as a tense psychological thriller. It’s not. However, it’s a thought provoking story about guilt, loss, grief and forgiveness, which I enjoyed very much. Quite an emotional read.

It didn’t hook me straight away, rather a slow start, then Young introduced some twists and turns towards the end of the book.

There were a few difficult topics covered which Young wove into the plot sympathetically, including bullying, domestic/child abuse, alcoholism, mental illness, loss, grief an
Sammi
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
First off I want to thank NetGalley and the publishers for giving me a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Here Lie the Secrets is about a young woman named Mia who lost her best friend at the age of 13 and it haunts her, literally. Mia decides to spend her summer in New York with her aunt Sadie and meets Rav, a student of parapsychology who ropes her into his study looking at ghosts and the reasons why people see them.

First off, the premise for this was fascinating. I studied par
Vee
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm also a Book Blogger
(Received free for unbiased review)

This story is centered around a girl who is from Yorkshire, who travels to live with her aunt for the summer in New York. This was amazing for me, as I'm also from Yorkshire and it was clear that the author was too. There was a lot of references to Mia's home town that made me feel nostalgic - I moved to Somerset a few years ago.

Mia has been seeing the ghost of her best friend who died for a few years, and wanting to know why that was hap
Bec
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)

This is one of the rare books in which it is exactly what the synopsis says it is. That is, if you ignore the line about it being a psychological thriller (it is not) and comparing it to One of Us is Lying and A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (not even CLOSE).

Here Lie the Secrets is an exploration on grief, as well as where the worlds of the paranormal and the explainable
Laura McToal
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Eighteen-year-old Mia is spending the summer in New York with her aunt and American best friend Tamara before returning to England to begin her psychology degree. What most people don't know, is that Mia hasn't stopped seeing childhood best friend Holly - even after Holly died right in front of her,

In New York, Mia meets Rav, a parapsychology student. She decides to take part in his study to find out if she really is seeing Holly's ghost or if it's all in her head.

This was a quick, enjoyable rea
Johnna Whetstone
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I really didn’t know that this book was going to be so chillingly scary! I did find it to be on the darker side, which is definitely okay with me; as I love darker and disturbing reads. It hooked me from page one with it’s absolutely intriguing story. Character development really was amazing, making me more vested in the story! Lots of twists and turns, scares, chills, thrills, and shocks await these pages. Unputdownable, realistic! Highly, highly recommend!
I will buzz around platforms and
Sasha Zatz
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Here Lie the Secrets was an enjoyable and intriguing story of grief and letting go of the past mixed with mystery, excitement and plot twists!
I wasn’t immediately captured by this book - I didn’t dislike it the opening but I didn’t feel particularly hooked for the first 100 or so pages. I kept going because I was intrigued by the ghost aspects and had a lot of curiosity about where the story was going. I was hoping for a really big plot twist to surprise me! I got more hooked about half way thro
Isabella
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is brilliant! I've expected it to be pretty obvious what it is about, but boy was I wrong. I like how the plot twisted during the second part of the story and when it was about so much more then what you may expect.
So many diverse and great characters, maybe too many at some point. F.e. I would have loved to get to know MIa's aunt better.
The main question of the plot is "How do you live on when you know you may be guilty of something that you cannot undo?". Mixed up with a supernatural
Heather James
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
My recent reads have included YA set in the Dominican Republic, Paris and now New York. I am taking full advantage of my lockdown travel options and bringing little glimpses of the world into my tiny English garden. Here are three reasons I would recommend heading to NYC with Here Lie the Secrets:

1. This story was so tense! I had to stay up late to finish it because I couldn't go to sleep until I knew what was going on. It has all the suspense you'd expect from a story about ghosts and the paran
Jacqueline Allan
Mar 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
A sincere thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me an ebook copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. Unfortunately I didn’t finish this book. I didn’t like how it was written and too much going on all the time. Moreover I didn’t identify with, or believe, any of the storyline.
TBHONEST
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Given the sensitive subject matter handled within the story, Emma Young deals with it wonderfully, weaving it so casually and thoughtfully in to the plot that it creeps up and resonates with the reader as they read. The characters are well crafted and each has a purpose and adds something to the overall story. Here Lie The Secrets is an enjoyable and thought provoking read.
Liam
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating ghost story about a young girl haunted by her dead friend, who meets a group of professional, academic ghost hunters. I loved it!
Fraser's Fun House
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
As a teenager Mia’s best friend Holly passed away and she has been haunted by it ever since. Everywhere she goes Holly follows, everywhere that is except New York where Mia feels she is able to relax without the fear of encountering the ever present spirit of her dead friend.

Flying into New York to spend the Summer with her Aunt Sadie, Mia hopes to leave her worries behind and have some fun with her friend Tamara working to make money for their road trip, but all that changes when she meets Rav.
Anna || BooksandBookends
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book has a fantastic concept and the tagline saying it's perfect for fans of One of Us is Next and Good Girl's Guide to Murder had me sold, I love both of those books.

The story is an intriguing tale of grief, guilt and ghosts! Mia has been haunted by grief and the ghost of her best friend Holly, who passed away when she was 13 years old. She's travelled to New York to stay with her aunt, Sadie and to see her friend Tamara whilst she's there. She wasn't expecting her aunt to have a lodger, n
Gillian
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A tale of ghosts, grief and guilt
It hooked me from page one with it’s absolutely intriguing story. Character development really was strong, with
lots of emotional twists and turns making me truly invested in the story! Lots of scares, chills, thrills, and shocks with the Parapsychology Research Institute. A real page turner !
Chantelle Hazelden
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it

I'll say first that I don't think I was the target audience which is why it probably didn't rate as high for me.

Over all a good story which has obviously had a fair amount of research to do with paranormal activity.

I have to say it was refreshing to have a YA book not primarily based around romance.

Over all a good story just not my cup of tea.
Mitja
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was ok
2,5/5
RV
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like ghosts and dark contemporaries, this technically brings that but it didn't feel like that.

Got this book for Review off NetGalley, honest review and all that.
Actual review here.
ashortbooklover
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I really enjoyed diving into this quieter, emotional paranormal mystery. A key theme of the book is grief and loss, in so many ways and the way that Young utilises this devastating experience to really draw you in and connect to as a character is brilliant.

The exploration of grief is shown in a variety of ways and reactions, emphasising its nuanced and tricksy nature. In this way, it is the perfect theme to link to elements of a ghost story. In Here Lie The Secrets, we focus on the shadows of me
Fabienne Schwizer
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Mia was thirteen, her best friend Holly died. But to Mia, Holly isn’t truly gone, though she’s never admitted that to anyone else. Years later, Mia is spending the summer in New York, when she meets Rav, a parapsychology student and ends up involved in the investigation of a haunted house. While Here Lie the Secrets is about ghosts and mysteries, it ends up being much more about self-discovery, dealing with trauma and growing up. It is a wonderful example of YA truly written for a teenage a ...more
Tasha Louise

• The Collective
  • The Day I Disappeared
  • The Other Passenger
  • Wall of Silence
  • Hacking, Heists & Flaming Arrows (Robin Hood, #1)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Blood Moon
  • Love Is for Losers
  • Daisy
  • Stim: An Autistic Anthology
  • The Apartment
Emma Young is an award-winning science and health journalist and author. She has a BSc (Hns) in psychology from the University of Durham and 20 years’ experience working on titles including the Guardian, the Sydney Morning Herald and New Scientist, for which she worked as a senior online reporter in London and Australasian Editor in Sydney. Now employed by the British Psychological Society as a St ...more