Start by marking “Mr. Malcolm's List” as Want to Read:
Mr. Malcolm's List

Mr. Malcolm's List

It is a truth universally acknowledged that an arrogant bachelor insistent on a wife who meets the strictest of requirements--deserves his comeuppance.

The Honorable Jeremy Malcolm is searching for a wife, but not just any wife. He's determined to elude the fortune hunters and find a near-perfect woman, one who will meet the qualifications on his well-crafted list. But
Expected publication: July 28th 2020 by Berkley (first published February 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Malcolm's List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Malcolm's List

Start your review of Mr. Malcolm's List
Amy
2019 Review
Still a fabulously fun read, but this time I think I enjoyed Incognito better. I recommend reading both. (Not as much a fan of The Celebrated Pedestrian )

2018 Review
So first you read Jane Austen. And Jane's great! Iconic, even! But sometimes, deep down, you have to admit...she isn't where you go for a comfortable romance.
Then you discover Georgette Heyer. And she's amazing! Readable, fun, romantic...everything you've hoped for. Until eventually, you run out of her books to read.
Now
Kylara Jensen
This is a fantastic study on how not to write a regency romance.

Let me just start by saying that Selina is more than a tolerable main character. I liked her a lot. I don't think I would have been able to finish this book if I had to deal with an annoying mc on top of everything else.

Let's just run through it.

Setting: Awful.
It's like Allain read one regency romance and then decided to write her own, with no knowledge of history or Britain. The language is so very modern. They might as well have
Emmy
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian-regency
Update 6/29/15
I'm knocking this down a star because, despite the fact that I read it 3 weeks ago, I can't remember a single thing! It's that forgettable.

*****

This book could have used a bit more fleshing out. At only two hundred pages, there was plenty more opportunity to delve more into the characters and spend more time examining their motivations. Particularly the second half of the book, it felt like things were magically resolved a bit too much.
Brenda
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book last evening, having read the first chapter online, and could not put it down.

I recently discovered the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig and this was very similar in atmosphere and temper. Light-hearted, well crafted, and a very easy read. I think that fans of Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen will find this book a pleasant romp. Mr. Malcolm is reminiscent of Mr. Darcy, a bit rigid in the beginning but quite pliable in the end.

I read this in a single sitting. It is a
QNPoohBear
This light romantic comedy is filled with the usual cliched characters and plot devices. I didn't like the relationship between Malcolm and Selina. I felt it could have been better developed aside from mere physical attraction. They are both intelligent and witty but most of their interactions are sparse on dialogue. Malcolm mostly comes across as a snob who doesn't really know what he wants. Selina is a bit too nice at first but she improves as her temper is tried. Another character ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
After reading Ingocnito by Allain I had to see what other books she had written, which is how I found Mr. Malcolms List. This was probably just as fun as Incognito, both are lighthearted regency novels. I thought the story idea was fun, the characters likable and of course I love the regency setting. I admit, I did not love Mr. Malcolm, but he did grow on my throughout the story. I definitely think its a good idea to have a general idea of what qualities you look for in a spouse, I just didnt ...more
Aernestine
I read the book as I have heard of the adaptation (and saw its first part on Youtube). While I understand there can hardly be a second Austen or a second Heyer, Allain's book leaves much to be desired. The story itself would be fun and charming and the author definitely posseses a talent for inventing with witty puns but the writing itself is too much of tell and no show. I missed more complex characterizations (and human-like believable characters in general) and also more plausible regency ...more
Lesr Kew
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and many laugh out loud moments. It started out a 3 for me and got better and better as it went along.
Christine
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, fun Regency romance that would be good for fans of Georgette Heyer or Fiona Hill
Beth Bedee
I've never actually read a book from this genre before. I know, I know...have I been hiding under a rock? What can I say, Cliffs notes were my friend in school.

After reading so many "romances" that are in your face with the content, I was wondering how I'd respond to the subdued nature of the the content of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I flew through the book finishing it in 2 days.

It was well-written, and the dialogue was extremely clever. I really enjoyed the characters. Even
Heather
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Well this was dee-lightful! As the subtitle suggests, it's more farcical than Jane Austen, but it sure scratches the itch.

If you haven't seen the Refinery 29 short film of the same name, click this link immediately: https://youtu.be/5WIcqyHDuIg

I really, REALLY hope the rumors are true that they are making a feature film. It looks to be awesome, especially if they keep this cast. It would also be great if they reprinted the book as a movie tie in or whatever (though I generally don't like movie
Cassandra
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an eARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was a cute comedy of manners but without a lot of depth to the characters or stakes regarding the circumstances. Funny dialogue and everyone gets the match they deserve. Was this adapted from a screenplay? The copywrite listed a previous date publication and I see to remember hearing about a YouTube show with this name.

This was a fast read (less than an hour) and might be appealing as a quick escape during stressful times.
Jenny
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute, if predictable, but the characters were entirely too modern-minded for the setting. They were also kind of flat, to me. No one was particularly compelling. Each only had like one quality that made them who they were, with little complexity to them.

The whole thing felt more like a rom-com that the author decided at the last minute should be in Regency England than a true Regency romance. I never quite felt swept away by anything.
Shauna
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun romantic tale. Ive known several people with lists for future spouses. Good luck finding the perfect mate.

I have felt judged by past boyfriends. Thankfully I dont have to worry about that anymore.

Trailers for the movie look wonderful with an interesting cast.
Emma
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesy and not realistic to the time period, but a cute story nonetheless. I loved the build up, but the end was disappointing in the sense that it ended as predictably and dramatically as any young adult novel in general. I would only recommend it if you love sappy romance novels.
Meghana
Hilarious. Ridiculous. Great writing? Well... But will it make a great movie? Here's hoping!
Suzanna J Linton
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A delightful, easy afternoon read. It's a romance that at no point takes itself seriously. The ending could have happened sooner, with one last scheme feeling forced, but all in all a good book.
Sam
More like 2.5

This was cute enough but I'm more excited for the film adaptation starring Gemma Chan and Freida Pinto
Melody
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a super fun book! I quite enjoyed it! It's funny - I thought, after looking at the synopses, that I would like another book of Suzanne Allain's (Incognito) better, but this one was better, in my opinion.

Essentially, this is a Regency period romantic comedy. Mr. Malcolm is the second son of an earl, but has inherited a large estate and a huge amount of money, so he is a popular guy with the ladies. To make sure he finds everything he wants in a woman (and protects his heart), he's
Andrea Lundgren
I was prepared for this to be not-Georgette-Heyer going into it. I wasn't prepared for the areas where we lose the big things that made upper class Regency society what it was. At one point, the heroine and hero are together, in an alcove at a ball...and when he tries to kiss her, she succumbs. Where was the hitting-him-with-her-fan for his advances? Assuming she didn't want to become his mistress, what was she thinking? Gentlemen don't take advantage of young women when their foot has demanded ...more
Alyssa
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer
I'm so glad I found this gem of a book on GR and would highly recommend this to anyone wh likes reading well written, clever historical romance with a lot of humour and a delightful cast of characters. In the beginning, we are introduced to Mr Malcolm, a fastidious eligible bachelor with a list of criteria of what he looks for in a bride. Unfortunately for him, one of the ladies he had turned down found out about his list, and with a bad case of sour grapes, she enlisted her attractive friend to ...more
Beth
Typical Regency romance with spunky heroine, interference, misunderstandings, and resolution.
A much sought-after gentleman has a list of qualities he expects in a woman.
A spurned lady decides to turn things around by introducing another lady who fulfills all his requirements, but then have this lady reject him.
Not a Georgette Heyer, but in that vein.
Light and fluffy.
Carolyn
I really love books about the Victorian era in which passion has to be suppressed by societal conventions and manners. This story is that type. I actually would give it two and a half stars, if that were possible, because it is not all that well-written, but it was "cute." There is some clever, laugh-out-loud repartee between the main characters. Not great literature, but an enjoyable read.
Alice
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regency Wit and Humour

A Regency Romance filled with devious plans and counterplans that leave our hero and heroine in confusion. Yet their witty dialogue carries the tale as they genuinely fall in love contrary to the manipulation of their friends.

A sweet, clean love story told with humour. Light and fun.
Abigail
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book! Suzanne Allain's style of writing reminds me a lot of L. M. Montgomery (her short stories, not A of GG). There is the development of characters, the conflict, and resolution complete with a moral. It's succinct, and a very quick read. I highly recommend this delightful book!
Genean
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well paced charming book that is built for farce! If a man were to be hung by his own petard it could only be by a woman without an agenda to her own cause. A light hearted read well stocked in follies that leave the reader with lots of laughs. Not a must read, however a good why not poke a bit of fun from this one?
Leaffrog03
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a very quick read and I found it to be pretty funny. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy reading Jane Austen. I also really liked this author and now I want to read some of her other novels.
Michelle
Very Austen-ish, but without all her splendid detail about everything. The story was a fun, lighthearted romance. Mr. Malcolm has a list of requirements for marriage, and comes to find out that the person he loves is more important than any list.
Charlotte Shea
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this again after watching the short film. Love the characters, love the sticky situations (or rather, drippy ), love the romance, love the author. My husband (yes, he read it too!) and I cant wait for the feature film. ❤ ...more

• Venetia
  • Arabella
  • The Grand Sophy
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Girls' Last Tour, Vol. 1 (Girls' Last Tour, #1)
  • No Accounting for Love
  • L'Amour dans les pays musulmans : A travers le miroir des textes anciens
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Folly (The Daughters of Mannerling, #4)
  • The Deception (The Daughters of Mannerling, #3)
  • The Banishment (The Daughters of Mannerling, #1)
  • The Romance (The Daughters of Mannerling, #5)
  • The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling, #2)
  • The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)
  • Henrietta (Regency Love, #1)
  • The Indignities of Being a Woman
  • Molly
  • The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)

News & Interviews