Start by marking “Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves: a collection of short stories about devious behavior” as Want to Read:

Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves is a unique collection of short stories celebrating the distinctive styles of thirteen emergent independent authors from across the United States, as they reinterpret and reimagine the concept of crime using their personal artistic voice. From doctors with a taste for the macabre to cat burglars who would rather give than take, this collect ...more
Paperback, 1st, 266 pages
Published February 4th 2020 by Reed Press

To ask other readers questions about Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves

Start your review of Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves: a collection of short stories about devious behavior
Emilahoo
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is much more than meets the eye. What I love about this collection of short stories is that each author really takes a unique approach to the theme, “Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves.” The twists and turns are met not only with suspense and revenge, but also humor, wit, and sadness. In each story, you find varying elements of the human condition. The writers each have individual styles with descriptive settings and vibrant characters.

I liked them all, but my favorites were:

“Genuin
Cass
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-reviews, read-20
Thank you to the editor/contributing author for this copy in exchange for an honest review!

What you’ll find in Miscreants, Murderers, and Thieves is a wide variety of intriguing acts of deviant behavior with a range of severity in criminality level. There really is something for every true crime junkie in this collection of works from various, talented authors.

I enjoyed almost every story included in this collection, all thirteen authors are immensely talented and I look forward to discovering s
Chelsie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves is a nice broad compilation of short stories that involve; murder, drugs, sex, mystery, horror, historical and just overall good story telling that can be read in one sitting.

This is a compliance of fourteen authors work, and they are all different but all good reads. My favorites were The Temperature at Which Love Freezes (this is probably my favorite!), Mercy in the West, Last Night in Quartzsite, Behind Those Veils, and The Scoop. So if you are wanting to skip
Colin Garrow
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This collection of stories from independent authors is edited by Samuel W Reed, who also contributes one of his own tales. Authors include Don Bapst, David Beeler, Shawn D. Brink, Dori Ann Dupre, Gabriel DiDomenico, Dane G. Kroll, Ethel Lung, Casey Mensing, Suzanne Crain Miller, Katherine Tomlinson, Will Wallace & Nicholas Zemin, with illustrations by Jared Sloger.

As with any collection of stories, you never know quite what you’re going to get. In this case, there are the inevitable few that sta
Bisanne Masoud
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of short stories, with something for everyone. All are joined (as the title suggests) by themes of mischief, whether criminal or otherwise. All of the pieces are great, but here are some of my favorites: Sky Riders by Will Wallace. This story has a steampunk-y vibe, complete with the requisite airships. Sparkling characters and a surprise twist make sense considering Will is a TV writer. Such a cool, original concept (sky pirates!) This one would make a great TV se ...more
Amy
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this down and was disappointed when I finished! The stories thrilled me with pulpy and superhero action adventures, excited me with mysteries, and moved me to tears with passion and tragedy. The characters were all so strong, each author a master of their stories. I couldn’t believe how many different worlds I was transported to in such a short amount of time. Loved it!

Five stars for the anthology and for each story!
Frank Frisson
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of crime fiction short stories with attractive titles to read during daytime breaks in your living room is a great way to enjoy your time at home. This special collection of thirteen short stories, which I felt happy to review, is called Miscreants, Murderers & Thieves: A Collection of Short Stories About Devious Behaviour. The reader enjoys a well-formatted book with nice and simple art to support each story. It is perfect for breaks and short intervals from work.

The Temperature a
Gordon Long
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a short story anthology with a slightly misleading title, especially the exclamation mark. Some of the characters portrayed in these stories fall under those categories but many do not. In any case, most of them are entertaining, emotion producing or thought provoking. If there is any exclamation as you read, it is due to the enticing twists of the plots, not to suspense and action.

The best story has to be “Murder at the Magic Castle,” discussing the fine distinction between committing m
Portia
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-author
Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves is a collection of 13 short stories mind-altering mystery/crime stories. Written by 13 different authors with pronounced style and writing. It’s like nibbling the short stories that leave a charming taste in your mind.

From quirky, witty to heart-wrenching stories of people. As the title suggests, you have all the elements present in these stories. The common denominator is the characters that are pleasant and invigorating.

Few of my favourites are,

Murder at the ma
Dawn
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves is a collection of stories that are each unique and a bit off the wall. I liked most of them, but my favorites were Beneath the Veils, Equity, and The Scoop.

I could tell these stories were written by different authors because the writing style was a little different each time. There was one story, The Win, that although I liked the story overall
Rachael
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This fun, new short story anthology jumps around in themes - an ironic burglary, a vengeful wife, a magic-filled noir with a dark secret at its heart -- all centered around misdeeds and misadventures. The different tones work well together and allow for a fun read, even while reading about some pretty dark topics. Two particular stand outs are the Murder At The Magic Castle, which is legitimately twisty despite being upfront about trying to deceive the readers, and Sky Riders, an original and fu ...more
Suanne
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves compiles stories around a broad range of topics, all out of the norm—a bit of something for everyone with stories that can be read in one sitting. The leitmotivs that run through them include drugs, sex, murder, child abuse, mystery and others. The genres range from noir to sci-fi to steampunk.

One of my favorites was "The Temperature At Which Love Freezes” by Katherine Tomlinson. You’ll vow to treat your spouse better after reading it! For an unreliable narrator
Jeffrey De
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Smorgasbord of creepy, mysterious, suspenseful stories

A wide diversity of styles and eclectic storylines, and a great introduction to many new authors. These authors know their way around the craft of writing. An expertly assembled collection.

When I read a collection of short stories like this, I always expect that a few will pop out as gems and a few will underwhelm. Not Miscreants. Each one keeps you on your feet until the last page. My favorites were Equity, Tada!, and Murder at the Magic Cas
Reeca Elliott
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my usual genre. But, I found these stories unique and creative. Anytime you have this many diverse stories in one place, you are bound to find at least one that stands out. I found all of these stories to be outstanding. Did I enjoy them all equally? Of course not! But, all these tales are exclusive and very uncommon. I so enjoyed each one in their own individuality. There is a lot of talent in this collection!
Todd
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super fun with a really wide assortment of perspective and imaginative storytelling. This anthology has something for everyone: A western. A superhero (supervillain) tale. A Lovecraftian horror. A sad, but introspective story of love and loss. Gritty noir-ish crime. Even a bit of steampunk action. This is a super-fun anthology where every story offers something unexpected. A real treat. Recommend.
Reads A-Lot
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of tales about devious deeds.

Stories were, overall, well-written. I understand that shreds of irony were perhaps supposed to tickle at these tales, but I’d say they were more complex than what I wanted. There definitely was an air of sophistication, which imbued them with intelligence and splendor; however, I didn’t exactly get that into them. They’re smart reads though.
Shawn Brink
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want to get a sample of great writing from multiple, top-rate authors, then this is the book to read. Every story is unique, with a sense of urgency that demands the reader keep turning the pages. My only regret is the fact that eventually the pages do run out. Hopefully, there will be sequels to this series and the adventure can continue.
Dori Dupré
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Interesting collection of stories by an eclectic group of writers!
Boundless Book Reviews
I have had the pleasure over the years to read many short story collections. I have read none quite like this, though. This was not a set written by just one author but was written by many. This, in itself, makes this book unique.

When I began to read this book, I did not know what to expect. I enjoyed each story, and each story was very well written. You can pick out different writing styles. Each story was unique and a bit strange, which is okay, based on the title and all...haha.

I had one stor
Rowena Hoseason
Jul 26, 2020
Janina
Mar 12, 2020
Samuel Reed
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tonya
Rick Lunkenheimer
Mar 01, 2020
Fred Nahs
Dec 23, 2020

• The Woman of the Void (The Kota Series Companion Stories, #1)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Romantic Pact (Kings of Football, #2)
  • The Inspector David Graham Series: Books 1-4 (The Inspector David Graham Series Boxset)
  • The Case of the Missing Letter (Inspector David Graham #5)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Office Grump
  • The Devil Drinks Coffee (A Kate Saxee Mystery, #1)
  • Finding Tomorrow (Bluebird Bay #1)
  • The Devil Wears Tank Tops (A Kate Saxee Mystery Book 2)
  • The Case of the Pretty Lady (Inspector David Graham #6)
  • Tracker: A Fox Walker Novel
  • Still Not Over You (Enguard Protectors #1)
  • Sharon Tate and the Manson Murders
  • Still Not Into You (Enguard Protectors #2)
  • The Water Cure
  • The Case of the Forsaken Child (Inspector David Graham Mysteries Book 7)
  • The Night Stalker
Producer, Director, and Amazon bestselling author Samuel W. Reed cut his teeth writing for award-winning documentaries and feature films before completing his first novel, "The Fabulist," in 2017. His follow up, "Miscreants, Murderers, & Thieves" is a collection of short stories featuring the work of independent authors from all over America, highlighting a diverse range of characters and themes. ...more