Jump to ratings and reviews

At Last

Quinn was always the sultry one, the one who turned heads the moment she walked into a room. Claudia was the feisty one, tiny in size but huge in spirit, who never backed down from a fight. And Henley, well…Henley was the nice one. She cared about everyone. The three of them had been best friends since their freshman year at boarding school.

Years later, Henley’s life is pretty fabulous. Her work is creative and exciting. Her amazing friends and her beloved dog fill her life with love. Only problem? MEN. Men she dates. Men at work. Men saying the right things and doing the wrong things.

She’s dated a long string of men who have broken her heart without a second thought or a look back. The night her latest boyfriend kisses an almost naked blonde in front of the three friends, Henley vows to give up men. She was done with dating…until her lonely walk home from the bar leads her to a gorgeous, reclusive artist who captivates her first with his art and then with himself. Henley can’t resist giving love one more chance. Her friends object because they know her heart always overrules her head, especially where men are concerned. When Henley’s life is rocked by overwhelming loss and devasting lies, she wonders if her friends might have been right…because when Henley turns to her artist for comfort, she finds even more lies. His lies.

285 pages, ebook

Published February 14, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lee Wheeler

3 books13 followers
Lee started dreaming of being a writer when she was six. It took lots of years and a boring detour as an attorney, but now she’s the author of the new book, At Last.

Lee is dog mom to Tanner the Lab, whose head is as big as a Maytag, Pollock the Borzoi, who sees ghosts around every corner and does not go bravely to meet them, and Ansel the Italian Greyhound who is gloriously evil and smarter than she is. She writes with the dogs at her feet—that is when they aren’t eating the woodwork, chewing the rugs, destroying their toys or digging massive holes in the yard. Lee spends her days in Pennsylvania. When she’s not writing or playing with her dogs, she’ll be behind a camera or a telescope.

Her best advice—never give up your dreams.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
1 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Laz the Sailor.
1,445 reviews74 followers
March 14, 2020
This is a romance novel with a moderate level of angst and a few passionate R-rated scenes. There are several secondary characters who provide humor and support. Henley has been successful overcoming many challenges, and survives even more here. The drama flowed well, and the details really contributed to the overall environment. There are many parallel elements which could be distracting, but I found that they reinforced both the turmoil and the resolution.

This is not overtly erotic, but there are many sensual moments, including many descriptions of fabrics, colors, flavors, and fragrances. It might mean more to someone who knows high fashion.

Not bad for a first effort. I'll read the second story to see how it builds from here.

NB: I was a beta reader for this story. The published version has plot improvements, and the writing is smoother. Nicely done.
Profile Image for Dawnny.
Author 1 book19 followers
June 11, 2020
This was a new author to me. I loved this. It's artsy, lyrical and witty. Henley swears off men after one too many heartaches. Until she meets an artist hoping he will be different than the last. I loved the friendship of the girls and how they supported eachother. There are some spicy romance scenes. A story of family, friendship and betrayal. I loved it.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
200 reviews
November 9, 2020
I enjoyed this heartfelt romance. The characters were raw and real and had great chemistry. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Tandalaya Stitt.
67 reviews3 followers
February 8, 2020
There is a break before any spoilers...

Henley is the quiet one amongst her trio of friends. She's also the one who has the worst luck with men. When she's out with her friends Quinn and Claudia one night, they all see her latest boyfriend kissing a woman who just stepped out of a pool.

Henley vows to be done with men. That is until on her walk home she meets a mysterious artist. She can't stop thinking about him and decides to give love another chance. Quinn and Claudia aren't too thrilled about it because they are very familiar with Henley's track record when it comes to men.

Henley deals with a devastating loss, and discovers almost everyone she loves lied to her.

I received a free copy and I'm volunteering an honest review.

I didn't like the book. I'm not a fan of the author's writing style, and the story was very predictable. There was nothing fresh about the story and I couldn't connect with any of the characters.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

As soon as I knew Henley's client was Italian like her new artist friend, I knew they were related and that Henley was chosen to head the project because of it. When G said he didn't know the family, I knew those were "his lies." There was a lot of unnecessary filler in parts of the story. I hate when authors feel the need to fill pages with stuff that isn't pertinent to the story. There's a lot of it in this book.

Then to have Henley grow up thinking her father was dead to only find out he's been alive and is well aware of who and where she is was such a terrible adoption to the story. I'm sure some readers were shocked, but the story emphasized Henley having no family left to much for this to be true. And, for her aunt to care so much about kids, but to drop her own family off at a boarding school and never visit seemed stupid. How did they ever get close if her aunt was never around? She was closer to her neighbors than she was her own niece.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who likes quality wiring.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
319 reviews3 followers
February 4, 2020
Lee Wheeler, ‘At Last’.

As a Hidden Gems ARC reader I received a free copy and promised an honest review. Here it is.

Rating: 5 stars (of 5).

In general: Original novel about an exciting love .

Main character:
- Henley Rana; she’s a talented, succesful architect living in New York.

Her boyfriend cheated on her before her eyes during a pool party. She escaped the party and walked towards her home in the middle of the night. Then she sees a shop window with a clear blue light. In the shop a painter works. She’s curious, enters the shop and is fascinated by the painting he’s working on. They start a conversation and get interested in each other.

It’s the beginning of a well written book that had an original plot with unexpected turns and a lot of beautiful, nicely merged storylines:
- Henley’s love life,
- her relationship with her aunt Izzy and other family,
- her great group of friends (Claudia/Quinn/Simon) and
- the intriguing complications at her job. All these aspects are described in detail, with feeling and insight.

In addition wonderful, credible characters and dialogues which are often vivacious: funny, sassy or emotional. For me it made this charming book an easy to read page tuner, so I could hardly put down my e-reader.

R. Huiszoon.
1,205 reviews2 followers
February 6, 2020
What a wonderful story. It involves family, friends, betrayal and love. Henley did not have the best of luck with men, but she Hunter cared about her That was the first betrayal when he kissed a half naked woman right in front of her. The same night she meets an artist that she is intrigued by. Her friends are appalled and try to talk her out of it. When her beloved Aunt Izzy died, her world came apart with what she discovered cleaning out her aunts belongings.
The story was so good, I didn't want to put it down. The characters were so likeable and real. I love all of them. Are two of her friends together? I hope will be revealed in future books.

I got this book from HiddenGems for an honest review
Profile Image for Peggy.
1,777 reviews2 followers
February 14, 2020
A new author to me. I believe this is the author’s debut novel - so pretty good for a first book. This reminds me of a hallmark romance, a bit predictable but still romantic and a good decent read. This story is about Henley. I read other’s write story last so I’m wondering if there are more but this is the only story that comes up for me in Amazon. Henley didn’t seem to have much luck in regard to love and her latest romantic disappointment she watched a storefront where a man is painting a picture that calls to her. The painter calls himself G but she finally thought she’d found the love she craved. I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book.
Profile Image for Rick Hardesty.
Author 3 books8 followers
March 21, 2020
I loved this story! It was a very well written book portraying the close and supportive relationship between four friends. The main character of this story has several family and relationship hardships that challenge her spirit. The support of her friends helps her through these trials. I enjoyed how she met each circumstance with the help of her friends. I highly recommend this book, very nice read!!!
11 reviews2 followers
May 13, 2020
At Last

I don’t usually review books. But this is a special book about loss and love found. For a first book, this one is outstanding. Wonderfully written and smooth as silk.
Profile Image for Patricia Baxes.
2,296 reviews10 followers
February 14, 2020
This is a good solid read with a strong storyline; excellent characters; interesting twists and turns; with a long awaited and totally awesome HEA. Definitely add this one to your TBR list. (I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book and enjoyed it.) ❤️
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.