Start by marking “Valley of the Shadow (Elemental World, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Valley of the Shadow (Elemental World, #4.5)

Valley of the Shadow

(Elemental World #4.5)

“I’m sure of you. Everything else, we’ll figure out along the way.”

For eight years, Baojia and Natalie have pursued their goals: family, career, friendship and love—trying to carve out an ordinary life in an immortal world. And for eight years they’ve been mostly successful save for a world-bending adventure every now and then.

Except that their life was never ordinary. It
Published December 10th 2019 by Recurve Press LLC (first published December 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Valley of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of the Shadow

Start your review of Valley of the Shadow (Elemental World, #4.5)
Elizabeth Hunter
Nov 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Valley of the Shadow, my new holiday novella, is now live!!

Valley of the Shadow is LIVE and I'm so excited!😊 For many years, Natalie and Baojia, who started their journey in Blood and Sand, have popped up in various Elemental books. We’ve gotten glimpses of their life, but there was always one question hanging over them.

In Valley of the Shadow, you get to see the conclusion of their story. Or maybe it’s the start. Either way, I’m thrilled to share this little holiday novella with you. With lots
Kate
Ever since I read Blood & Sand I have been waiting ages to see how Natalie's and Baojia story continues.

Fortuna is not on her side and her time has come. However there are some loose ends to tie up. Their are the kids to take care of and a smooth transition is needed.

It is a known fact that I am biased when it comes to Ms. Hunter's books and the world created by her awesomeness, being honest here though it this book isn't my usual cup of tea. It is sweet but quiet. It is clear that having an a
Tabs
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
CW: Cancer

The blurb is vague and the reviews I’ve seen don’t mention it but breast cancer and the grief and disruption it can cause, even when you have a supernatural solution, is a major driver to the story. The supernatural solution may not resonate well with all readers and I’m not sure how I entirely felt about it.

On the other hand, I thought this story did a really good job of showing how unexpected major life changes can involve grieving the choices that you weren’t able to make yourself
Lin Cunningham
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this novella featuring Natalie & Baojia whose story really needed to be told. They chose their own path previously but this has to change due to new circumstances. Their family interactions were beautiful & the added bonus of meeting old friends for a Christmas holiday. It’s always good to catch up with the other couples from this most excellent series making it a very enjoyable read.
I have yet to come across a bad book in the entire series so if you haven’t read the others do it no
Gigi
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Valley of the Shadow,’ was a wonderfully written novella. It brings us back into Natalie and Baojia’s world and the life they created with one another. A perfect world that revolves around his wife and two lovely children, from sunset to midnight. That is until their world is turned upside down... this Novella was incredibly sweet and heartwarming. I absolutely loved it!
Norma's Nook
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Valley of the Shadow is a beautiful novella that catches up with almost the entire Elemental World, but especially Natalie and Baojia. Set at Christmas, this sweet story runs the gamet of emotions I've come to know and adore from Elizabeth Hunter. Tears led to laughs and pain becomes love and second chances. This book is all about the curveballs that life throws and the strength and perseverance needed to get that happy ending. A lovely story of family coming together and a perfect way to celebr ...more
Angela Hillier
Shelves: arc-s
I was very excited when I received this early copy of valley of the shadows for my honest opinion.
Firstly because I love Baojia and Natalie. I was so thrilled to get to read how their lives are progressing and what is happening in their world.
Second revisiting this couple and their chosen family will leave you warm and satisfied. Dive in and catch up with this amazing bunch of characters as they support one of their own.
Heartwarming and thoughtful this is a wonderful continuation of this branc
Angela Whitmore
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had mixed feelings reading this one. It brought back some very recent, very painful memories for me and I cried buckets. It is also about my favourite Elemental couple, and is a wonderful story of family coming together to help one of their own in need.
Although it's set at Christmas time, it's not one of those niche stories that can only be read at that time of year. Any day is a Baojia day as far as I'm concerned.
I've waited a long time for Natalie's story to continue, and this does her proud
C
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I would be giving up everything to love you. I wanted a family. I wanted a normal life. I wanted what my parents had no matter how it ended. Do you know what loving you would mean for me? For my life?”
“Yes. Love me anyway.”

Dragged a bit at some parts, but was also pretty emotional at others. Loved how we got inside some of my favorite characters heads though. I also really liked seeing everyone's families and kids now that they have all been together for awhile. Also, that afterword part? So
AJ
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

Woohoo! We’re back in the Elemental World series, and I love it! This novella is a follow up story for Baojia and Natalie, and should not be read as a standalone. Beware that it also has spoilers for the Elemental Legacy spin-off series. So this is definitely one for the fans, who will adore catching up with so many of their favourite characters.

It’s been eight years since Baojia and Natalie met and fell in love. They have created a life together they have a family, and they live as no
Janine
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s like we invited our favorite characters over for wassail and cakes.

Valley of the Shadow is an opportunity for Hunter fans to snuggle up with something (or someone) warm, grab a glass a wine, and catch up with some of our favorite characters from the Elemental Series. (Events take place after Night’s Reckoning , so be sure to read that first.) Natalie and Baojia’s story continues over the winter holidays when unexpected circumstances cause plans to change. Several of our favorites sho
Virginia Hill
What a lovely HEA for Baojia and Natalie. Valley of the Shadow was a very rewarding gift for this human admirer of theirs. ❤️
G.M.
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review
Valley of the Shadow is Elizabeth Hunter’s holiday novella. This is the second release from her in the last month. Merry Christmas to all of us!

Valley of the Shadow is a continuation of Natalie and Baojia’s story. I loved Blood and Sand as I felt that their relationship was perhaps one of the most difficult and the most human of Elizabeth’s characters. I loved and respected their choices and their priorities. I adored the love that Baojia had for Natalie and that she in turn had for him. I have
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A lovely, holiday-themed conclusion to Natalie and Baojia’s story from “Blood and Sand.” Fans of Elizabeth Hunter’s “Elemental World” quartet will enjoy the return of several characters from the series, who have come together in “Valley of the Shadow” not just to celebrate the season, but to help Natalie deal with one of life’s more difficult curveballs. Choices must be made, and not everyone is certain Natalie is choosing wisely!

I loved having the chance to read an early copy of this story; i

Elsabe Botes
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet again I was not disappointed. Such a family book. Everybody pitching and and supporting the main characters and a surprise visit by Carwyn and Brigit (love the two of them). Surprised when Natalie had to change her diet and am looking forward to see if she features in the future books. Tears in my eyes as I had a similar scare but was lucky as it was only a scare and not real. Thanks again Elizabeth for being such a talented wonderful author and many blessings on your future writings.
Sam Hamilton
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella felt like inviting over my favorite people for a holiday gathering. Getting to visit and catch up and love on everyone. Natalie and Baojia are two very interesting characters in the Elemental World and they just work together. Seeing how their lives have grown and settled is so comforting and getting to catch up with many of the favorites filled my heart with joy.
Nena
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story! I love the reunion and bonding of this vampire family. It flew by so fast though. When I got to the last page I was dismayed... if it was physical book I would have been turning it around to see if there were more pages. There is a little boy in this story that stole my heart. I hope he will show up in the future ❤️. My favourite quote from this book is this one:
“Want to get a horse and ride into town so I can get a tattoo from a guy who tattoos people in his kitchen?” 😂
Shelly K
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Baojia and Natalie have it all. A home, kids, successful careers until it all comes crashing down. Old friends gather around for a trip to Patagonia. What happens there is wonderful and frightening and hopeful. This is a fantastic novel about the power of love. It can tear you to pieces then heal you into something so much more. A beautiful story.
Chantell Reid
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Per usual with Hunter’s work, I couldn’t put it down.

Finally! Natalie and Baijio-I’ve been wanting more forever! And the snippets of B and Gio and Carwyn and Brigid are the icing on the cake.

My only disappointment-when the words “The End” appeared. Even at 1:30am, tired from all the thanksgiving food, I wanted more!
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Elemental World  is a PNR spin-off series from the Elemental Mysteries which was more urban fantasy following one couple.  Elemental World series starts during the Elemental Mysteries but has a different couple in each book.  I don't recommend reading the series out of order - I never do - but with the ongoing story
This Literary Life
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this wonderful, sweet book! I was so thankful to get this early and to have something be able to heal my heart from the tension and insanity of Nights Reckoning. This book is to Nights Reckoning what The Devil and the Dancer was to Blood Apprentice. It was a moment to stop and catch your breath and submerse yourself back in with the old characters that are so dear to your heart. Reading this book made me feel like I was wrapped up in a cozy blanket in front of a roaring fire and sharing a bot ...more
Monadh
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Difficult decisions and a Christmas with friends and family

The long-awaited conclusion to Baojia and Natalie’s story that merges into a Christmas get together of all our favorite vampires (and humans) from the Elemental World. Baojia and Natalie’s book Blood and Sand was the second in the spin-off series, and though it was a standalone, it always felt kind of unfinished. After a whirlwind courtship Natalie and Baojia are left in a good place and they decide to have children, but for that to be p
Mari (Smut Duchess)
3.5 ⭐

I liked this book , didn't love it. The novella continued Boajia and Natalie's story from Blood and Sand (Elemental World, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter . I listened to the audio in 2015 and I'd forgotten the details of their romance. Boajia was a water vampire and Natalie was a reporter investigating missing women. Solving that mystery they fell in love. Present day, they are married and have 2 children. The plan is to turn Natalie into a vampire when their kids are older. Unfortunately, Natalie is diagnosed with breast cancer. They decide to turn
Robin
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Hunter -Valley of Shadows : An Elemental World Holiday Novella

What a wonderful pre-Holiday surprise. Not only does this Novella have a reunion of many of my favorite characters from Elemental World but it also features two characters I’ve been a long time to see their story continue to unfold. This is truly a wonderful gift, thank you Elizabeth!
Natalie and Baojia’s story started in “Blood and Sand”, which was an amazing novel . The sexy water vampire (Baojia) mate with Natalie, a dedic
Danielle
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seriously Hunter - what a story! I LOVED Natalie - she was a force in her very own way, and funny too! From Blood and Sand and through the entire Elemental World, I have enjoyed N&B story and tidbits. I have missed them, mostly because "George" is so controlled and Natalie...is...not.
This story had the heart warming moments, the kissy parts, the heart break, the laughter and the big questions. I truly enjoyed it and would tell everyone who reads the Elemental World books to get your hands on thi
Karen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this series since the beginning with the Elemental Mysteries and am always happy when a new book from any of the various offshoots from the original. The characters have always been vividly drawn and lively making for a fun group. The world they inhabit is equally vivid which means you can recognize the real world among some of the imaginative parts. The writing is superb and always brings me back for more. I love this author!

This book brings together many of the couples fro
Leanna Wiley
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet little addition to the elemental world Ms. Hunter has created. It was nice seeing practically all my favorite people in one place and seeing how their lives have grown. There wasn't any large plot reveal/progression. That's not really a complaint though, I feel like I could read a book of these people just sitting around watching TV because they feel so real, like family even. Definitely a pleasant palette cleanser from Night's Reckoning ...more
Erin Fraser
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Baojia and Natalie are my favorite Elemental power couple, so I am thrilled that they have their own Christmas novella in Valley of the Shadow.

Natalie is one of the few heroines in Elizabeth Hunter's books that is not a vampire, but she and Baojia have always made it work. Seeing the family dynamic they have created with their children Jake and Sarah is sweet and sassy, which is nothing less than I'd expect.

Based on the previews for this book, we see that for Natalie, "it's time to come home."
Sarz
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't read.

I don't want to leave a poor rating, because there's nothing wrong with the writing at all. It just needs a 'Cancer trigger warning' for anyone currently in the middle of anxiety about that subject. I had a panic attack and abandoned it.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3.5

Um. As a breast cancer survivor I struggled a bit with this novella. I enjoy Ms. Hunter’s work and she writes with sensitivity yet as one other Goodreads reviewer stated that the ‘supernatural solution’ in “Valley of the Shadow” might not ‘resonate’ with some.

All personal feelings aside “Valley of the Shadow” brought together many characters from the Elemental together in an thoughtful manner. They had some fun times too that gave this a lightness to to the matter. Did I need this extension t
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Witching For Grace (Premonition Pointe, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Sucks To Be Me (First Fangs Club #1)
  • On the Rocks (Becker Brothers, #1)
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft (Grimm Cove, #1)
  • Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes (Grimm Cove, #2)
  • Halfway There (Midlife Mulligan #1)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Let it All Burn (From the Ashes, #1)
  • Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #23)
  • Writing Wrongs (Crow's Feet Coven #1)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Magical Midlife Dating (Leveling Up #2)
  • Spellcasting with a Chance of Spirits (Grimm Cove, #3)
  • Second Chance Magic (Order of Magic, #1)
  • Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants, #1)
  • Refuge (Relentless, #2)
ELIZABETH HUNTER is a USA Today and international bestselling author of romance, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal mystery. Based in Central California, she travels extensively to write fantasy fiction exploring world mythologies, history, and the universal bonds of love, friendship, and family.

She has published over thirty works of fiction and sold over a million books world-wide. She is the

Elemental World (4 books)
  • Building From Ashes (Elemental World, #1)
  • Blood and Sand (Elemental World, #2)
  • The Scarlet Deep (Elemental World, #3)
  • A Stone-Kissed Sea (Elemental World #4)