Start by marking “Do Not Feed the Clown” as Want to Read:
Do Not Feed the Clown

Do Not Feed the Clown

Do Not Feed The Clown is a box full of satirical delights and irreverent parodies. Consisting of 34 short works, it highlights the absurdities of our socio-political climate, tackles the mayhem of our news cycle, and highlights the inconsistencies of our cultural norms. This is a countercultural book, a bit of a challenge to the system, but in a lighthearted way and in the ...more
Published 2019 by Tenth Street Press (first published June 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Do Not Feed the Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Not Feed the Clown

Start your review of Do Not Feed the Clown
Judge Burdon
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Matt Nagin cooks up his innovative wit flavored with satire challenging traditional beliefs. Do Not Feed The Clown is a buffet of hysterical commentary on socio-political subjects most would consider taboo. Religion, Homosexuality and Racism along with many other entrees are all on the menu. This book is a must for anyone and everyone that enjoys laughing at society's contradictions.
The clown is a hungry jokester when unfed.
Judge Santiago Burdon
Sabrina
Romance today, like the sea, is a chemical-ridden, genetically-modified cesspool likely to poison you to death.

First things first, you absolutely need to be okay with dark humour to enjoy this book. As long as you remember not to take this seriously, you'll be fine! I certainly raised my eyebrows many times, and had to remind myself that Nagin doesn't mean everything he says, especially as most segment are written from the perspective of either a parody of a famous figure or an imaginary pe

Simon Gary
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt Nagin is a writer, educator, actor, filmmaker, and standup comedian from New York City.
In other words, Nagin is a man of many parts and many talents. In the book "Do Not Feed The Clown," we find him living at the extremes of that identity.
If Lenny Bruce was alive and writing in 2020, this might be a book that he would create. In a collection of smouldering vignettes, Nagin holds up the mirror at much that is abhorrent in this world and then promptly rubs our collective noses in the filth.
At
Sue Roulusonis
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than a big shtick

There is a sort of manic brilliance at work here. A single paragraph can contain more information than most are used to processing in one take.

What makes comedy work is how *real* it is; even when the analogies seem way off base a good comedian can drive a point home. What may appear in this book as shock for shock value is actually a sly, upper-level satirical view. Sometimes we need to get hit over the head with something before we can see. The best part is, you'll be la
T Lewis
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matt Nagin is a remarkable stand up comedian. I'm psyched that some his hilarious insights on modern American life and culture are now available in a book format.
Whether its reading through the array of perverse phony Craigslist ads, the rejection letters for famous authors, or imagining the daily drudgery of life after death in hell, Do Not Feed the Clown, does not fail in hilarity; I laughed out loud.
Nagin is unapologetic and never shy’s away from finding humor in the most taboo topics. I deli
L DeLong
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This humor collection is a satirical look at today’s society. With sections titled: ‘Brutally Honest Marketing Copy’, ‘A Misanthropic Guide to the Holidays’, and ‘Rejection letters for Famous Authors’; Matt Nagin takes irreverent shots at society at large. Challenging the system, this book is great for any parody, dark humor reader.

I received this book for free for this review.
Natasha
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good read: accessible, topical, humorous.
Jonathan S
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok am I the author's brother, but I still think this book rocks, its hilarious. Who doesn't want to hear a #MeToo Story from a plants perspective after Harvey Wienstien masturbates into her soil and wipes his member on her leaves, or read online postings for acting work exposing the ridiculous extent of what actors do to get famous. Some of the stories that standout in my opinion are: LSD Trip Adviser, Suicide is in again, In Love with a Suicide Bomber, Letters from Management, Stock picks from ...more
Larry Ryals
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nagin’s Do Not Feed the Clown is that singularly rare compendium of scorching social commentary and absurd comedy.

Not taking the easy way of promoting a pre-formed agenda but scrutinizing every norm in a not only outside- but nowhere-near-the-box way has become the hallmark of Nagin’s work.

Also not taking the easy way is his use of wildly creative acerbic constructions as opposed to the usual carefully spun propaganda-pabulum to make his points.

Personally, I’m more inclined to apolitical, pur
Divyanshi Sharma
Quick Review: A hilarious read with dark, witty undertones.

Matt Nagin’s ‘ Do Not Feed The Clown’ is more than a book to make you laugh. Well of course it tickles your funny bone but at the same time it will often make you scratch your head and re-read a few sentences with raised eyebrows. Caution: This is not for the faint-hearted or for the staunch followers of ‘The System’. (Leave your ego at the doorstep, please.)

‘Do Not Feed The Clown’, time and again, not only challenges societal notions bu
Ophelia Kee
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Hilarious

The plant had me laughing outloud at the gym. Wilma and Santa, Lol. I can't give it away, but Insensitivity training cracked me up. Buy this book and get multiple doses of the best medicine.
Bethany Martin
I very much enjoyed my first foray into comedy fiction. Matt Nagin's Do Not Feed the Clown pulls no punches and no one is safe.

Written as a series of shorts, Nagin experiments with form to deliver solid humour. Some are written as adverts, while others are monologues from famous faces. My personal favourites included:

New Apps: a series of apps partially in development or would be developed in the future.
Zombie Apocalypse Insurance: an idea that I can't believe isn't already a thing.
Confessions O
Michael Sandels
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny, confidently written collection

I enjoyed this book immensely. Perfect for picking up and reading for short periods of time as well, since every chapter is a different story, all of them very creative, intelligent and funny. Kudos to the author. Well done.
Judy Ferrell
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh till you cry!!

Having a bad day? Need a laugh? Read this. I laughed till I cried. Hilariously funny satire. this book will keep you in stitches from the first paragraph. Matt Begin has a sense of humor that is unparalleled.
Kiran Kanwar
May 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun reading this witty book and coming to think of it, has any stand-up comedian catered to the needs of book readers before? If yes, kindly mention them as I would love to read them.

Along with the mild ones, some extreme issues are also discussed in the book. The author has provided a satirical account of the disturbing issues that we come across daily either in news or in our surroundings. So many diverse topics have been dealt with. The author touches on sensitive issues throu
Chantal Bellehumeur
Truth be told, I didn't find the book as funny as I was expecting it to be, but it's probably just because I discovered that I personally don't share the same sense of humour as the author.
I did chuckle many times though, and I can see how other people would love reading this book. Most of it reads almost like a stand up comedian telling jokes, or humorous little sketches from a late night comedy show.
Although some of the humour may have gone over my head which made me unable to fully appreciat
Hebru Young
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading Do not feed the clown by Matt Nagin.
It’s cleverly written, he touches on things that we all think about but don’t necessarily talk about. He delivers this with detailed narratives and witty punchlines...it’s lol funny, I really enjoyed it, you should check it out on Amazon
Patrick James
Dec 10, 2019
Julie Kusma
Dec 10, 2019
Matt Nagin
Dec 16, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Trafton Crandall
Goodreads Librari...: SEPARATE TOOL/SEPARATE BOOKS 5 119 Mar 02, 2021 11:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine Editions 1 13 Nov 19, 2019 07:28PM

• The Adventures of a Chocolate Bunny
  • Josef The Writer's Cat
  • Kong Boys: Seven Friends from Hong Kong Take on Eleven European Cities for Their Thirtieth Birthdays
  • Beneath a Blanket of Snow
  • TRUCE: Novis Initiis
  • Mindfulness for All: How to Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life Using Everyday Meditation Techniques. (The Secret to Becoming Peaceful & Happy).
  • She Named Me Wolf (The Many Lives of Wolf, #1)
  • Mom’s Favorite Reads eMagazine March 2021
  • The Professor
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Awakening (The Dragon Heart Legacy, #1)
  • The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
  • I'll Take You to See the Ocean
  • Advice and Recipes for People with Crohn's and Colitis
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
  • Fairalon
  • Jumping Over The Rainbow
Matt Nagin is a writer, educator, actor, filmmaker, and standup comedian. In December 2019, Matt's humor book, "Do Not Feed The Clown" was published by Tenth Street Press, and, since then, has obtained a bit of a cult following. In 2018, Matt's poem, "If We Are Doomed," won The Spirit First Editor's Choice Award, and the following year, another poem, "Birds Singing In My Chest," was published in t ...more

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...