Start by marking “Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)

Breaking: After the Thaw

(The Thaw Chronicles #2)

Only the chosen shall breed.

Four teens must face the fallout of the Proving. Three have made it through. One has not.

Nova. Kian. Dex. Wren.

Four lives defined by the outcome. Four lives who thought the Proving was the most difficult test they would ever have to face.

Published February 21st 2020 by Sequel House

To ask other readers questions about Breaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking

Start your review of Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)
PreePree
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
Like I stated before, this book reminded me of the Maze Runner mixed with a Netflix show I love to watch called 3%. The drama and controversy in this book makes it hard to put down. The emotions and tension are like a roller coaster ride. I normally have a favorite character but I like them all individually for their own reasons. Although, I do want to slap Shiloh in the face; thats only because I am biased (Go NOVA). I cant wait for the next book.
Mrs LIR Linda
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book continues the story of Askala and it's Bound and Inbound inhabitants.
It focuses on Wren, Kian, Dex and Nova after their proving tests.

The story is full of twists and turns which I cannot revealbas it would spoil the narrative.

It is an excellent read and I look forward to buying the next book.
Isabella May
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping adventure!

This proved (scuse the pun!) to be not only a riveting lockdown read, but a follow up full of twists and turns. And the parallels to the current world situation, and the way life can change so quickly and without warning, were more than uncanny and really made you think as a reader. Forbidden love adds another layer of complexity to a superbly plotted story. What will become of Askala and its people in the next titles...?
Kate Mary
Finished book 1 and started book 2 right away, only to finish it later that evening. A very interesting dystopian that definitely keeps you guessing. I like the wide range of emotions I feel toward the characters and how I'm not sure who to root for. Looking forward to reading more.

My only complaint was that the timeline was a bit fuzzy here and there. It isn't often mentioned how much time has passed, so there were places where I thought it had only been a matter of days and then something happ
Sandra "Jeanz"
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, must-read, dystopian
I found myself really eager to read Breaking the second full length book in the After The Thaw Series. I honestly, really love the covers of this book series. The birds that became more relevant to those that live in Askala in Rising, and in this book the birds are Ravens that carry messages to and from Wren. I think using the different coloured birds on the different books will make these books really cohesive as a series and stand out together on a book store shelf.

Breaking starts up right whe
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THEY DID IT AGAIN.

Y’ALL.

I’ve been in the worst reading slump ever recorded in the history of readers for about the last 3 years. THREE YEARS. Then one day, whilst bumbling through Facebook (as one does), I stumbled across these authors promoting the prequel for their new book series. The story sounded intriguing, so I picked it up. And it changed my life.

I haven’t enjoyed reading in a long time. All of a sudden, I’m flying through this series and *hungering* for more every time I turn the last p
Katheyer
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
„Breaking“ is the second installment the Burning Series set in a dystopian version of our own earth where - due to some cataclysm - humans struggle to survive in extreme environment. The story follows seamlessly the events depicted in “Rising”.

Askala, which is in fact Alaska in an undetermined future, after a climatic cataclysm has rendered the planet for the most part inhabitable, was created with the objective to help the earth to regenerate and become hospitable again. In order to due so the
Theo Kallström
THE CAWPILE OF 'BREAKING'

Faced with new challenges and positions within their society, the main characters from Rising are greatly developed here, and allowed to take on new responsibilities. There are bigger gaps created between the central character and they find themselves on different sides of the growing unrest. Kian takes some unlikely drastic steps towards the darker side and acts incredibly naively at times, which seems out of character. Nova, Callix and Dex have some interesting charact
Billie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Only the chosen shall breed.
Nova. Kian. Dex. Wren.
They all assumed Askala was safe, but a link to the Outlands has been established and a Remnant invasion is now a threat. In a starving, damaged world, Askala has what others want.
Except the fight for survival is far more complicat
Tamara
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Following the results of their Proving, the four main characters find themselves facing the future but not how any of them imagined it would be. Kian, Dex, and Wren are now Bound, Nova is Unbound. Poor Nova has a lot of changes to deal with in the book. Her world is shattered, she's facing a life without Kian, and finds herself without a purpose. Kian finds himself torn between duty to Askala and his love of Nova. Dex discovers secrets that shake his view. Wren moves forward with her plans that ...more
Jan farnworth
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breaking is the sequel to Rising in a series about a world very much like ours but is also vastly different. The earth has been destroyed by previous generations of humans to the point where a society has been set up to determine who is worthy of breeding and continuing to save the Earth. Askala is basically Alaska from our world and at this point in the story the proving tests are over and the generation of Bounds (rulers of Askala) and unbound (those not worthy to rule or breed) has been chose ...more
Tiffany
After reading this book, I wanted to write and post this review to share my honest experiences toward the story.

Before I go any further with this review, I would like to reiterate how exciting and amazing I found the first book in the series. Because book 2 takes us on a more thrilling and amazing roller coaster ride, with so many more twists and turns. I mean, I did not expect Nova to be made unbound when I was reading the first – sweet, innocent, empathetic Nova—but that was just the Proving…n
Jessica Landberg
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book starts exactly where Rising stopped. With Kian, Dex and Wren being Bound and Nova Unbound, I wasn't sure at first where the authors were going with the story. Sweet, caring Nova being Unbound seem to upset a lot of people and they're not sure how to handle the situation. But eventually we get the simmering of a revolt...

I really like the message that everyone's equal. That, along with the climate change, feels very present, although this series take place in the future. I'm a bit disap
Steiner
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so so good.
After the cliffhanger I was a little afraid to read it.
While reading we understand there is much more to every character like old Sam or Callix.
I really don't like how the Bound treat the Unbound while saiying their are empatich, espacially Magnus who is always behind Kians's back.
I found myself to appreciate Callix more and more as the story goes further even is his plotting and making sacrifices.
People from the Outland are coming and it's revealed that Wren is the d
DragonReader167
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books-read
Genius!

We follow Wren, Dex, Kian, and Nova, our four beloved main characters. This book picks up right after the events of Rising and the results of the Proving.

As we venture through the story, we learn not all is as it seems. Events are taking place that will change the future of Askala, but will it be for better or worse?

I absolutely love this story! The characters are developing beautifully, and I cannot give the authors enough credit for their writing. It's wonderful and intuitive, and I ke
Ali
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well... I started off thinking this would be a terrible follow on from the first book Rising.
Shiloh - urgh
Kian was double urgh
Nova needed to figure out something that was blatantly obvious haha

But then I hit about 60% and found myself actually enjoying where the story was headed. It drew away from the Hunger Games vibe I found in the first book and then surprised me right at the end.
It went from being a regular carbon copy of things I've read before to something that surprised me and now has me
Starr Davies
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was so much better than the first one! The first book felt like it was all about character development and the plot was a bit lacking (and often predictable). This book picks up right where the first book left off -- with Nova in the room as she gets her results of the Proving.

My favorite thing about this was all the twists and turns (a nice change from the first book), the emotional depth/struggle of Nova and Kian and Dex, and the way Kian sort of became the antagonist. I don't want
Sherry
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh ! My! Terra!

Wow, just wow!!!! What a great book! You know how you're dying to know what's going to happen so bad you just want to get to the end but you don't want the book to ever end at the same time ? THAT IS THIS BOOK!! I was turning pages like someone demented and had to keep slowing myself down! Oh my gosh and you know what's coming but then they throw these plot twists at you and they're coming from every direction and I was just "What just happened?!" and "No they didn't! " and "I did
Mackenzie
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, dystopia
“Askala is built on pain. Its foundations are the suffering and death of those not deemed worthy.”

I love how this series plays on the lifelong held beliefs of the four main characters. Challenging them to view their world differently. Loyalties and alliances change and gutwrenching decisions are made in this installment of the series. I have been waiting awhile for a great new dystopian series and I definitely have found it in the after the thaw series. It’s rare to connect to all of the main c
Josie-Leigh C
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult Readers
An incredible second installment to "Rising". At first I was reading this book angrily. I was angry at the end decision in the first installment but now I am calm and excited for what I will uncover in the third installment of the series.

It starts off slow, giving you an insight into how all of your favourite - and not so favourite (Shiloh) characters are feeling. You get a couple of surprises throughout and you learn to hate a character but then gain respect for them all over again.

I cried, I c
Julie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!

Omg the ending !!! Loved this second book in the series ( there is a prequel too incase you've missed it, which sets out the story of how Askala became) . The book was fast moving and storyline flowed from character to character's individual story. I loved it . The four main characters evolve well and the drama surrounding them continues to grow as they follow different paths but emerging ones. I cant wait for book 3
Michelle VanDaley
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic continuation of the story. I am completely captivated by this series. The characters have so much depth you can't help caring about them and their journey. The world building is on point, so descriptive I have no problem visualizing the story taking place as I read. I am excited for more. ...more
Tammy
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I go back and forth on this one. Never know if I will love or hate a character at any given time. Grow to love one only to have him/her do something that makes me not like them. Not a fan of this but the underlying story is still good. I was going to give this a 3 star but I did really like the ending so it bumped it up to a 4.
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
Mar 15, 2020 marked it as read-for-review
*I received an early copy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

As with the first, I really enjoyed this one! Fast-paced and high emotions made reading this so much fun! I found this one a bit more complicated to guess characters' motives and spent much of the time trying to decide if I liked that or not, but overall really enjoyed it, and can't wait to see how things turn out!
Stacey
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great continuation of the first book. After reading the end of the Rising, I had to start this book immediately. Needing to know what happens. It was a little slower as far as action, but still a good fast read. I’m anxious to start the 3rd book, Falling. See how it continues.

Really enjoying this series.
Christine Cazeneuve
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thrills continue

So good that I read in one night. This is the second book in the series and the story continues to unravel. This time there were events that I didn't see coming and the story just grabs hold and doesn't let up. Characters continue to evolve and new ones are introduced. Can't wait to start the next one. Maybe I should take a sick day tomorrow?
Caroline
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing series.
I’m completely hooked.
I can’t wait for book 3 - Falling - to be released.
The grand finale is going to be epic.
Fans of dystopian like Divergent and Hunger Games you will love it.

Michelle Boyer
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book. I love the changes being made in Askala, some by the last High Bounds that made some of the old rules and some by the new High Bounds. I’m excited to see how these changes will affect all of Askala and the remnants in the next book.
William Vegvari
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great tale. The characters are brilliant and the story flows right on from the first book. You come to the end and you want more, no, you need more. Absolutely love it and cannot wait for the next chapter.
MaryAnn Quellos
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Understanding now why Nova was unbound

This is a better understanding of what is going on in this series. I love that fact that Callie messed with the chips that were inserted into the hands of the new unbound.

• A Gallery of Mothers (Brathius History #2)
  • Dark Days of the After (Dark Days of the After #1)
  • Earthdom (Ether Collapse, #3)
  • City of the Dead (The Alchemist,#1)
  • Edge of Madness (Edge of Collapse #2)
  • Seeking Safety (Gateway to Chaos #1)
  • Shadow Fall (Shadow Fall, #1)
  • The Tainted (Dominion of Ash #1)
  • Advent (Red Mage, #1)
  • A Gracious Enemy
  • The Gender Secret (The Gender Game, #2)
  • The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)
  • The Princess Crown (The Princess Trials, #3)
  • The Princess Games (The Princess Trials, #2)
  • Flow (The Flow Series Book 1)
  • Immersive (The Elite Trials #3)
  • Quell (Flow #4)
  • The Acceptance (The GEOs Book 1)
Tamar really struggled writing this bio, in part because it’s in third person, but mostly because she hasn’t decided whether she’s primarily a psychologist who loves writing, or a writer with a lifelong fascination with psychology.

She must have been someone pretty awesome in a previous life (past life regression indicated a Care Bear), because she gets to do both. Beginning her career as a youth w

The Thaw Chronicles (9 books)
  • Rising: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #1)
  • Falling: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #3)
  • Reckoning: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Extant: Beyond the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #5)
  • Exist: Beyond the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #6)
  • Exile: Beyond the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #7)
  • Expose: Beyond the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #8)
  • Tournaments of Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles #9)