Start by marking “A Very Scalzi Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Very Scalzi Christmas

A Very Scalzi Christmas

Deck the halls with boughs of holly! ’Tis the season…for Santa’s lawyer to talk about the legal status of the workshop elves, for Christmas to arrive in an unexpected month, and for the innkeeper at the nativity to spill the beans about what really went down on that one night in Bethlehem.

It’s not just Christmas. It’s A Very Scalzi Christmas.

New York Times bestselling
Published November 30th 2019 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about A Very Scalzi Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Scalzi Christmas

Start your review of A Very Scalzi Christmas
Claudia
“When you give a gift, you are presenting kindness. You are showing the person that you see them. That you appreciate them. That you want something for them that will ease their burdens and the load they carry. You want to make them happy, if only for a moment.“
I couldn’t agree more with Scalzi. And if you see them happy, you are happy as well.

I bought this one last Christmas because I thought it would be an amusing reading and I was right, it is. I also got copies for myself. They are not your
Briar's Reviews
If you're looking for a humorous, seasonal book packed full of holiday comedy, you need to pick up A Very Scalzi Christmas by John Scalzi.

I am new to John Scalzi. I have been informed his writing is superb and he can be quite snarky, so of course I was in. To top it off, who doesn't want some Christmas cheer during a time like this?! Even if it is making fun of the whole holiday season! Honestly, this book was exactly what I needed in my life right now.

This collection holds fifteen short stories
Mel (Epic Reading)
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
This collection of 15 snippets (stories, interviews, poems, lists, etc) is very well done. So many ironic statements about how ridiculous the holidays are. But also some sentiments about remembering to be kind, selfless and loving at Christmas.
I need to read more Scalzi because this was sooo good.
Here's some notes on each story/piece:

1 - Science Fictional Thanksgiving Grace
A hilarious little thanks to god for not allowing all the events of famous science fiction movies or stories to happen on
Mike
This read was a humorous and heartfelt collection of writing in ode to Christmas. It certainly had Scalzi's trademark snark in spades but some of the stories wouldn't be out of place on the Hallmark channel. Scalzi clearly adores the holiday even as he pokes irreverently fun at it. While most of the entries had been previously published/released I had not come across them before so it was all new to me. My favorites were the interviews with various Christmas affiliated folks (Santa's lawyer, San ...more
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
If you want a stocking-stuffer guaranteed to produce roughly an hour or two of amusement and giggles for any of your family members, this book is for you. At just 144 pages, this is a quick read that will feel even quicker because you’re just enjoying it so much. Because this is a mini book, I think it’s fitting to give it just a mini-review, so here’s what you need to know:

John Scalzi has written a lot of humorous pieces about Christmas, and here, he has decided to gather them all in one place.
Kaethe Douglas
2019

I took my Christmas book credit and spent a tiny bit of it on a Christmas book. In part, because I really like Scalzi and I enjoy rereading him. And also in part because I couldn't get at my other Christmas books this year, which I think left me rather lacking in seasonal cheer. It has been a season of pneumonia (the Spouse) and lethargy with a side of struggle.

For example, after quite a few years of use and storage (more than six, less than fourteen), after carefully cleaning them and reins
Shell S.
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Lesa
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Christmas books. I enjoy mysteries set during the holiday season, and romances set at Christmastime. But, every year I look for an unusual Christmas book, one that isn't sweet or one that is humorous. It's one reason I've always loved Connie Willis' collection, A Lot Like Christmas. There's a little bit of everything, laughter, romance, and tears in her book. John Scalzi manages to induce quite a bit of laughter and a tear or two with his new collection, A Very Scalzi Christmas.

John Scalz
Lou Jacobs
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa!! What a fun ride. John Scalzi, highly acclaimed science-fiction writer, best known for his marvelous "Old Man's War" series ... treats us to a potpourri of 15 irreverent shorts ... all dessert, no vegetables. Nothing is sacrosanct as he pokes fun at the commercialization and religious tone to this beloved holiday. It's fair game to interview numerous characters of local color ... Santa's lawyer, Santa's Reindeer wrangler, the Christmas bunny, an elf, and even the Nativity Innkeeper who co ...more
Thomas
This was a fun collection of Scalzi short stories, all themed around Christmas or Christmas-adjacent holidays (Thanksgiving and New Years, I'm looking at you). As with most short story collections, this is hit and miss, but more hit for me. A few of these pieces I remember reading for free on Whatever, his blog, a few years ago. Others were brand new to me despite having been written and published over a decade ago.

The Thanksgiving prayer, the interview with Santa's lawyer, the movie adaptation
Kathleen
Between the elf who fulfills Christmas wishes without considering the consequences, the interview with Santa's lawyer, and the irreverent idea of the Christmas Bunny, this collection has plenty of salt to keep the stories and poems funny. Scalzi also has a few genuinely touching Christmas tales here, though, and it's obvious that the satire comes from a place of love. My personal favorite was the exploration of Christmas in July, but the list of worst Christmas specials ever made for a close sec ...more
Christine
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
A lot of fun as always when I listen to John Scalzi!
Jenna
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audio-a
3.5 stars. Some of the stories were funny, some were interesting, some were silly, and the last one I didn’t enjoy. Good for the Christmas season for sure.
Barb in Maryland
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
Entertaining collection of short pieces.
Scalzi's stories run the gamut from snark to silly; from sweet to serious.
I laughed, I cried, I had a good time reading.
Merry Christmas!
Christopher
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was this good? Man, it was great. and the story that he wrote just to make people cry? yeah, it worked.

I believe that all of the stories are available elsewhere and for free but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check this out. buy one so you have a copy to lend to people so they can read it too.
Daniel
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.75 of 5

There are only a handful of authors whose work I will go out and buy as soon as I am aware of a new published work. John Scalzi has become one of those authors for me.

If you're familiar with Scalzi you can probably already imagine that a book titled A Very Scalzi Christmas is going to be irreverent and sarcastic and full of humor. And you'd be right. Scalzi's wit is in full force here.

One of the main features of this col
Bandit
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Scalzi has always been good at entertaining, so it’s no surprise he managed to put out a perfect Christmas book. I found this on Netgalley a while back and saved it strategically for December 25th and it was just the thing to do. First off, because it’s so short, you can easily read in in under 90 minutes and not take too much time away from spending the time with your loved ones. Secondly, because Scalzi is a total Christmas fanboy and it comes across in every story. These brief delights a ...more
Z
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As John Scalzi states in the introduction, “Christmas (and the holidays on either side of it) gives me something to write about and have fun with on an annual basis”, and for some years he’s done so on his author website and other places. If you’re a fan of his fast-paced science fiction novels, this may -- or may not -- be for you. I don’t know. All I know is that sometimes the need for escapism manifests as a need to laugh, and this collection, which includes three previously unpublished piece ...more
Cale
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Scalzi does the winter holidays. You'll know whether you'll like it or not based on any previous experience with Scalzi. For the most part, it's par for the course; snarky humor, some very... creative interviews with seasonal characters you wouldn't normally think of (the Christmas Bunny was my favorite, I think), and a cute little poem that would make a decent if somewhat cliche Christmas special. And then there's the story thrown in to make his mother-in-law cry, which will be pretty obvious w ...more
Jennie Seaman
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny and heart-warming and a great start to the holiday season! It was so adorable and fun. I loved it so much. I laughed and I cried!

A Very Scalzi Christmas is a collection of holiday-themed short stories, interviews, and poems. From the comical interview with the Christmas Bunny to the heart-warming story about a Christmas Eve baby, this book is such a fun addition to the holiday repertoire of yearly fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end! (Also the audiobook
Pedro L. Fragoso
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a few gems in this little collection, namely "Science Fictional Thanksgiving Grace" (so much fun), and the 4 last pieces, of which "Script Notes on the Birth of Jesus" is the standout. "Sarah's Sister" is a tour de force, Scalzi proving categorically that he definetely can write a canonical Christmas tale, a true classic in the most hallowed tradition. The rest was basically passable. Both Subterranean Press and Audible did amazingly polished jobs, John Scalzi is truly blessed on that ...more
Kirby
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This book is positively delightful! As a long time fan of Scalzi, I knew it would be charming but this little themed work is just next-level fun. Every chapter is stand alone and entirely different - poems, short stories, interviews with the reindeer manager - but they are all chock full of satire and playful twists on classic Christmas themes. I'm not even Christian and it brought a smile my face. Thanks for giving me a little holiday cheer!
Christen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is laugh-out-loud funny in several places. My favorites were Science Fictional Fictional Thanksgiving Grace (I may try it next year at dinner), A Bitter November, the four Interviews, Christmas in July, Script Notes on the Birth of Jesus, and the Resolutions. If Chuck from Accounting hadn't bothered me, I might have been able to read this straight through in one sitting. Take the hour or so to read this book to get into the Christmas spirit. You will be glad you did.
Meredith
Cute set of stories with some laughs. Some repetition with the exploration of legal ramifications of various aspects of the Christmas season, but humorous still. I am pretty sure I accurately identified the story Scalzi says he wrote to make his mother-in-law tear up. Also, I love Natalie Metzger's illustrations, they are so cute and work very well with the stories.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is a collection of 15 short writings by John Scalzi, some touching and some laugh out loud funny, but always delightfully fantastical.
Lukas Lovas
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun, unsurprisingly :) I found the interviews to be the best - interview with Santas lawyer made me crack up hard :) Worth a read!
Kitvaria Sarene
Quick and fun Christmas read!
I listened to this whole baking the first batch of Christmas cookies this year, and it kept me well entertained. It's a weird mix of short stories, funny (fake) Christmas facts, and interviews with all sorts of "Christmas people" like Santa's lawyer.

It had me smiling, snorting and even chuckling along a few times.

There's also one story (the author tells you in the foreword that he wrote one story especially to make his mother in law tear up, and if you could guess
Julie  Capell
Best Christmas present this year! Just when I needed them, Scalzi's scifi laughs got me through the stresses of the past holiday season. I listened to the audio book, which unfortunately did not feature Wil Wheaton (whom I love and who narrates almost all of Scalzi's books), instead there was a rotating cast of performers who did a fine job.

As with any humor, some of it falls a bit flat but a lot of it made me laugh out loud. The stories that were interviews with various holiday-related minor c
Cmoore
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always looking forward to the Christmas season because I love Christmas stories and I love finding that perfect tale of home, love, and hope, from authors that I adore... And so I chose this book...
There are several stories in this collection that are very typical Scalzi: Amusing, witty, etc, but I don't suggest that you buy this one at full price, unless that is, you're a huge Scalzi fan (raises own hand). LOL!
But, there are at least two stories in here that very much fills my needs: Christ
Janet
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I wasnt expecting to get emotional while listening to this, but I was mistaken.

I was driving and heard this part from the reindeer wrangler and literally snorted.

"Where do you get the reindeer from?"
"Craigslist"

The one that got me sniffling was the baby sister story. I knew how it was going to go, but it still got me.

I have to advise people to get the audible version of this book, the full cast made the stories and interviews so much better.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add a new edition of "A Very Scalzi Christmas" 2 27 Dec 24, 2019 12:18PM

• Laughter at the Academy
  • The Fallen Angel (Gabriel Allon, #12)
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 2
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
  • The Hive
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Verse and Vengeance (Magical Bookshop, #4)
  • Her Mother's Lies
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories
  • Master of Restless Shadows (Master of Restless Shadows, #1)
  • The Gossamer Mage
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)