Jump to ratings and reviews
Elite bodyguard and P.I. Rick Bannerman's job is to protect. He doesn't get emotional with his clients, but when a woman from his past is threatened, his next job becomes personal.

Family lawyer Abigail Laine is the target of a client's vengeful husband, but refuses Rick's offer of protection. He walked away from her four years ago, and she swore to forget him.

Now her reluctance to accept his help could cost Abby her life.

285 pages, Kindle Edition

Published January 13, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Peggy Jaeger

47 books1,624 followers
Peggy Jaeger is the award winning author of the popular WIll Cook For Love series which includes Cooking With Kandy, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... and A Match Made in Heaven Series, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Peggy is a contemporary romance writer who writes #RomComs about #strong women, the families who support them, and the men who can’t live without them.

#Family and #food play huge roles in Peggy’s stories because she believes there is nothing that holds a family structure together like sharing a meal…or two…or ten. Dotted with humor and characters that are as real as they are loving, Peggy brings all topics of daily life into her stories: life, death, sibling rivalry, illness and the desire for everyone to find their own happily ever after. Growing up the only child of divorced parents she longed for sisters, brothers and a family that vowed to stick together no matter what came their way. Through her books, she has created the families she wanted as that lonely child.

Her #hobbies include #painting #crafting #scrapbooking and #decoupaging old steamer trucks that she then gives as gifts to her friends

As a lifelong diarist, Peggy caught the blogging bug early on, and you can visit her at peggyjaeger.com where she's blogging about life, writing, and stuff that makes her go "What??!" daily.

She's a lifelong and avid #romance reader and writer, is a member of RWA and her local New Hampshire RWA Chapter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,780 followers
January 27, 2020
Lawyer Abigail Laine is tough as nails and has seen her share of abuse while practicing family law but when a husband of one of her clients goes after Abby, she’s in over her head. But she’s sure she can handle it, she has before. But when her sister calls in a favor, Private Investigator Rick Bannerman shows up at her office and offers his protection. He’s the one man who stole her heart and rejected her four years ago, the one man who can make her melt with a glance. Walls around her heart melt as they reignite their passion for each other. But as the threats amp up and danger encircles Abby, can he keep her safe from a crazed lunatic?

This is a new series from Peggy Jaeger and it delves into a new genre, romantic suspense lite. From the first chapter, I grasped this was going to be sizzling suspenseful romance. The heat between Abby and Rick is so hot, it’s enough to melt the North Pole. But it’s not just about romance here. The suspense subplot deserves just as much limelight as it kept me ripping through the pages. The characterizations of Abby and Rick, as well as the other characters, are intricate with plenty of complexity. The romance is HOT HOT HOT! By the time I finished, I was hyperventilating with an erratic pulse. Such a great reading experience, I can’t wait for the next book in the series.

Peggy Jaeger’s romantic suspense lite side is a beautiful blend of Patricia Rosemoor and James Patterson. Highly recommend!

Favorite Character/Quote:

Rick. I really like him as a tortured hero. He tries to stay away from Abby for her own protection, but he finally realizes where he belongs. Every woman needs a man like Rick in their life.

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N

This review first appeared: https://www.nnlightsbookheaven.com/po...
Profile Image for Tena Stetler.
Author 23 books499 followers
February 28, 2020
Elite body guard /PI, Rick, and family lawyer, Abby, are both strong, stubborn well-rounded characters with a history that colors their perception of each other.
Rick is tasked with protecting Abby from a vengeful client’s husband. But untimely there is more going on. Abby is out to help those who need her regardless of the dangers. She doesn’t want Rick’s help. Until…
There are lots of twists and turns. I love an unpredictable tale. Not quite a thriller, but more than a mystery are tangled up in this romantic story. The descriptions are vivid enough to make you feel like you are inside the story. I love that. I highly recommend this tale by Peggy Jaeger.
It can be read alone, but having read Kandy and Gemma’s stories add to the enjoyment.

Thank you to netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Brit Andrews.
271 reviews18 followers
January 31, 2020
Abby is your classic no nonsense strong independent woman who happens to be a family lawyer that has built up her own practice. She’s use to dealing with all sorts of people through her work so she isn’t all that worried when an angry man bursts into her office threatening her. It’s happened before irate abusive spouses is just part of the job. But since her sister witnessed this incident her family gets very worried. She doesn’t believe she needs any protection until it becomes clear that maybe just maybe she does...

Enter Rick... he owns a private investigation business with two Abby’s brothers-in-law. The men know that Abby would not take too kindly to offers of protection but Rick knows he’s going to make it happen no matter what. For years the two of them have had an attraction between then but four years ago at her sister’s wedding when Abby made a move he declined for “reasons”. So naturally he is the last person she wants hanging around but he manages to be in her office at just the right time to insert himself into her life to protect her.

Romance, drama, suspense, banter... oh my. They both have alpha personalities so naturally they clash but when two people are so attracted to each other and are forced to spend time alone together of course the fireworks ignite. But he will of course have to keep her safe if they ever want to get to that happily ever after

This was my first time reading from this author and I would read her work again.
Profile Image for Christine Galletly.
1,001 reviews3 followers
February 8, 2020
I thought that this was a really good story - I felt that it was very well written, it had a fast pace and I read it in one sitting.

The characters were strong and very well developed and the book had me hooked from the outset through to the excellent ending. I thought that the plot was excellent!

It is 5 stars from me for this one - it is definitely one I will be very highly recommending!
Profile Image for Peggy Jaeger.
Author 47 books1,624 followers
March 22, 2020
This book was so much fun to writer because when you take 2 powerfully independent ALPHA people and force them to be together and depend on one another, you can't help but have fun writing all the ways they avoid - and then eventually - come together! I hope you love Rick and Abby as much as I do.
Profile Image for Charlotte O'Shay.
Author 13 books363 followers
January 13, 2020
When domestic relations attorney Abby Laine, the epitome of a strong, sexy woman and Rick Bannerman, ex-military bodyguard and investigator meet, sparks fly all over the place. But their emotionally stunted childhoods give them no reason to think the other would stick around for the long haul. So instead of even hooking up they stay well away from each other. Unfortunately because Rick has known Abby’s brother-in-law since childhood there’s no way to escape numerous social gatherings where Abby and Rick toe an awkward line between lustful glances and strict avoidance.

Until Abby’s life is threatened by not one but two persons connected to cases Abby’s worked on. Then all bets are off. Abby reluctantly acknowledges her life is in danger and, at the urging of her family, allows Rick to provide the necessary protection. Which means lots of alone time with no family or friends in sight!

Because this is a Peggy Jaeger novel there’s lots of banter, lots of food and lots of family interference. Every character in the crew and every scene is richly drawn. The story leaps from the page much like Abby’s adopted three legged cat Moonlight.

The ending was sweet and swoony and wow—Rick is a hero for the ages. Sexy, strong and vulnerable. Well done. Can’t wait for the next installment!

Profile Image for Downward dog.
1,785 reviews12 followers
February 16, 2020

Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this book via Cocktails and Books and Netgalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

Peggy Jaeger writes an intense and seductive story with suspense and intriguing characters. Rick works as a private investigator and bodyguard and he is the perfect protective alpha hero. However, his issues cause him to keep to himself and it is difficult for him to get close to people.

Rick and Abby have known each other for a few years and although there is a lot of simmering heat between them, they have kept their distance. Everything changes when Rick has to protect Abby from a client's crazy ex-husband. As they spend more time together, they find it hard to fight the attraction. As they get to know each other their respect grows along with their attraction.

Abby is a dedicated and hard working attorney. She cares about her clients and puts them before anything else. Rick likes everything about Abby and the more he gets to know her, the more he is drawn to her. Abby is smart and feisty and keeps Rick on his toes.

I liked both Rick and Abby and enjoyed their story. They are a good match and when they are together, they help each other overcome their issues. I also enjoyed Abby's family and all the interesting secondary characters. This is another heartwarming story by Peggy Jaeger.
Profile Image for Kimberly List.
226 reviews1 follower
February 19, 2020
My favorite genre of reading is romance but what I love the most is a romance with a strong female character and this book gives you that. Abigail, or Abby as she likes to be called, is one of six girls in a family of strong women. They were raised by a single mother and experienced everything from homelessness to seeing their mother work 2 jobs to take care of them. Rick was brought up in much the same way. His father not only hit his mother but also was abusive with him and after his mother's death his father is now in jail. This book not only brings together these 2 strong independent characters who want to prove to the world that they can be more than what their families were but 2 people who are stubborn and strongly independent. I loved the dynamic that Abby had with her other sisters and I plan on going back and reading both Kandy and Gemma's stories.

Profile Image for Joanne Guidoccio.
Author 13 books398 followers
February 26, 2020
Reading a Peggy Jaeger novel is a delightful experience, one that I highly recommend. I am amazed by the depth and breadth of the many series she has launched in the past six years. In A Pride of Brothers, she features two strong and sexy protagonists—Abigail Laine and Rick Bannerman—who struggle with abandonment issues from their troubled childhoods. But the sparks that fly cannot be ignored. And nor can the amped-up tension that kept me reading well into the night.

A sizzling read and perfect start to an exciting new series!
3,041 reviews15 followers
January 10, 2020
The characters are great and develop and grow throughout the story. The story line is interesting, well written and holds your attention from beginning to end. There's action, adventure, murder, suspense and drama that add to the depth of the story. Definitely recommend!

Profile Image for T.
21 reviews
February 3, 2020
I feel like the title of the series was a little misleading as the book centered on Rick and Abby and didn't have much male support on the brotherhood front. Rick is a private investigator who works with Abby's brother in law's but there wasnt a while lot of involvement from them in this story. Possibly that will change going forward and I am interested to see where the author takes this series.

The book was well written and the characters remained true to who they were throughout the book. There were a lot of supporting characters and I felt like I was able to get a real feel for who they are. And in a family of seven sisters, two of whom have spouses it would have been easy to avoid creating such distinct personalities right off the bat. Which in the first few chapters was a little confusing at first until I understood who was who and their dynamics. Overall the author did it smoothly and made each character seem natural.

I voluntarily received an advance review copy of this novel via Netgalley and I am leaving an honest and unbiased review. I have no affiliation to this author.
Profile Image for Fleur.
2,947 reviews20 followers
January 13, 2020
Solid 4.5 star
this is the first in the A Pride of Brothers series and I am already hooked as it has the perfect blend of mystery, suspense, lustful attraction and great characters. Rick and Abby are great as they are as stubborn as each other and don't like letting people in however their attraction to each other that has been viewing for the last 4 years is about to come ahead. I really enjoyed getting to know Abby and Rick as well as learning more about the others that work with Rick along with Abby's family all of which are fantastic and can't wait to read more in this series!!

Profile Image for Sheena ☆ Book Sheenanigans .
1,409 reviews332 followers
January 18, 2020

This was a fine read and despite the notion that someone was out to get out lead heroine Abigail, there was much action or suspense to completely win me over. I will notate I did like the dynamic between Abby and Rick, and their whole enemies/friends turned lovers bit but its just… it lacked that something something to make this an excellent read. Nevertheless, this was a swoon worthy read filled with some fun banter, mature romance, steamy moments, and strong leads that would definitely peak your interest.

Profile Image for Joyce Black.
1,018 reviews4 followers
January 9, 2020
Lovely Familial dynamics; seven sisters - wow.

The main male and main female character`s were well described and did learn and grow throughout this story. Very good story that was well written and was so much more than `just`a romance tale; murder, mayhem, action, adventure, drama, trauma. Yet through all of this love bonding a family and then, the main male and female character`s.

Great reading that is highly recommended.

I voluntarily received an advance review copy of this novel via Booksprout and I am leaving an honest and unbiased review. I have no affiliation to this author.
45 reviews
January 17, 2020
I think this may be my new favorite series by Peggy Jaeger if this first book in her new series, A Pride of Brothers, is anything to go by. Rick is tough but so is Abby, and she doesn't need anyone to protect her. The back and forth and chemistry between these two is excellent and makes reading this book a joy. There's danger and steam and family and friends, all tied together in this story that will keep you turning the pages to reach the end.
Author 40 books75 followers
January 29, 2020
I LOVE this book! Both Abby and Rick have realistic problems but compassionate natures, and watching them learn to work out their problems was a joy. Their relationship is HOT! and also very romantic. The suspense is compelling and I found myself turning the pages quickly to find out how things would evolve, both for the suspense and for the romance. I am a fan of Peggy Jaeger's books and I think this one is my favorite (so far)! I give it an A+ !
8,191 reviews93 followers
January 23, 2020
This is the 1st book I've read written by Peggy Jaeger; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Profile Image for Jacki.

The characters
Part of a series: A Pride of Brothers
Standalone
HEA

I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC from Booksprout.
Profile Image for Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff.
1,410 reviews121 followers
February 2, 2020
It started out somewhat interesting but then it kind of went downhill, i didn't like any of the characters even though the story was a bit interesting here and there, but i don't know - sometimes it was a bit too much?
Profile Image for Barbara.
16.6k reviews8 followers
January 10, 2020
Part of the A Pride of Brothers a well written story with a very good storyline the story flowed smoothly from page to page. This is Rick Bannerman and Abigail Laine's story, there is suspense, drama, danger, twists, turns, shootings, and romance. I want to read more in this series. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Carmen Davis.
413 reviews3 followers
January 11, 2020
I loved this book so much! It was exciting, sexy, and hilarious. Rick and Abby were perfect. I loved their banter! The side characters were just as perfect and the plot really sucks you in right from the beginning. Rick and Abby have crazy chemistry and I loved watching them fall in love.

Profile Image for Vinessa.
1,932 reviews18 followers
February 14, 2020
How many chances will Rick get to apologize or even show her he is sorry.
Refusing his protection and apology was the mist immature this she could of done
Now even though her heart is tempted to forgive him for his abandonment she may not get the chance.

Profile Image for Ashleigh.
3,411 reviews1 follower
February 14, 2020
Romantic Suspense has NEVER looked Sooo Good!

I found this to be a superb storyline that grabs you right from the start keeping you engrossed and on edge throughout the whole book!

Great characters that will keep your interest extremely well.
The chemistry, sweetness, and twists in plot kept things interesting.

I received a copy of this book. This review was posted voluntarily.
487 reviews5 followers
December 21, 2019
This book is about a family lawyer named Abby who needs protection from a vengeful husband, and others, too, as it turns out. Rick works as a bodyguard, and chooses to protect her even though he was afraid to get close and fall in love with her four years before. But now, four years later, he moves in with her to keep her safe, as she is in great danger from someone who causes suspicious accidents and makes vicious attacks. Can Rick find the culprits responsible before Abby gets hurt? As he does indeed fall in love, can they have an HEA?

Profile Image for Jan Sikes.
Author 24 books153 followers
February 18, 2022
Two strong characters bring an element of automatic conflict to this story. Abigail Laine is an attorney. She fights for the underdog, the defenseless and abused. She's good at her job but often has to deal with retaliation, as is the case at the beginning of this story. When an abusive husband threatens her for helping his wife out of the marriage, things heat up. Abby's sister is witness to the imminent attack and turns to her husband, who owns a PI firm, to help protect Abby.
Rick Bannerman is a loner. He's a PI and a damned good one, not to mention drop-dead sexy oozing pure raw masculinity.
Rick and Abby are thrown together in an effort to keep Abby out of harm's way, but oh so much more passes between them. I love the way the author builds the sexual tension between the two and how they each resist their growing feelings, firmly determined to never open their hearts to love. Their childhood traumas have destroyed all hope of ever being in a loving relationship.
But fate has a way of intervening. This is the first book I've read by Peggy Jaeger and it certainly won't be my last. If you love a sizzling romance with lots of tension, deep-rooted psychological issues, and suspense, you will love this story!
9 reviews
Read
April 30, 2021
I really enjoyed this story- atough hero and a smart and sassy heroine, a match just waiting to combust into fireworks!
Profile Image for Bella.
926 reviews3 followers
March 13, 2020
Rick and Abby are dancing around eachother for years and it isn't until Abbys live is in danger that something happens between them. for me an amazing story that I really enjoyed reading. It has al the right ingredients for a great book. Hot sexy Hero, strong stubborn Heroine, amazing chemistry between them, a little bit of suspense, a little bit of action a house pat, family drama and a lot of humor. An amazing book that I recommend reading.
I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for NetGalley
Profile Image for Illustrious Illusions.
1,058 reviews27 followers
February 24, 2020
Sweet and steamy romance with a strong female lead and alpha male. I wouldn't target anything as suspenseful, yea she's got a stalker type crazy after her, but you kind of know who and what and nothing puts you on the edge of your seat. but the relationship between Rick and Abby is great and well worth the read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.