Start by marking “What's Wrong, Little Pookie?” as Want to Read:
What's Wrong, Little Pookie?

What's Wrong, Little Pookie?

POOKIE'S UPSET AND POOKIE'S MOM cannot figure out why. And Pookie isn't helping, either. This familiar scenario is told with Sandra Boynton's signature humor, in both story and art. Caregivers and young children will laugh their way out of their sorrow as Mom and Pookie work things out. Never fear, a happy ending is on the way! Perfect for toddlers having a meltdown, or ...more
Board book, 18 pages
Published August 14th 2007 by Robin Corey Books

To ask other readers questions about What's Wrong, Little Pookie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Wrong, Little Pookie?

Start your review of What's Wrong, Little Pookie?
Tim
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, cathartic, unsurpassed in its sublimity. With a refreshingly chestnut afterglow and a lugubrious sense of wet leaves stuck to your forehead on an April afternoon in a low-income Paris suburb.
RLL22018 Danielle Razo
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sandra-boynton
I enjoyed this book because it keeps young readers in suspense! The book also prompts little ones to make their own guesses as to why Pookie is upset. The illustrations are bright and colorful. The main character of this book is Pookie and he is accompanied by his mother who wants to know what bothers Pookie.
I think kids would really like this book because it is silly and adorable. I would emphasize that sometimes we may not know why we are upset, and that's okay. As long as we have a shoulder
Mary
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is our current favorite nighttime book with two-year-old Jacob. He has the whole thing memorized and LOVES it when I let him answer the questions to Pookie: "Are you sick?" "No." "Do you need a cold drink?" "No thank you." "Are there five lazy frogs in your bed for a snooze?" "That's silly too!" It rhymes and has a terrific ending. I like most of Sandra Boynton's books, but this has to be my favorite.
midnightfaerie
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A typical Boynton with nothing out of the ordinary besides the cute illustrations. It was fun to see the adorable ways in which little Pookie says no, and it was something that my preschoolers could relate to, although there wasn't enough to keep their attention. Not something we'll be reading again.
Katherine
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My 23 month old daughter gives this book 5 stars plus.
Mallory
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute addition to the little Pookie book series. Little Pookie is upset and mom doesn't know why. A great way to teach your little one about feelings.
Sorento62
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun book with a sweet message. Text and illustrations both by Sandra Boynton for a perfect combo.
John
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because the mama asks silly things and Pookie says [spoiler alert] "I don't know" at the end, but then I think he remembers.
Tawnie
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Pookie is upset but doesn’t want to tell his mom why. In an attempt to get him to open up, his mother starts to ask him a series of question. At first the questions are quite serious, but as they are not the root of Pookie’s problem, his mother starts to ask more and more ridiculous questions. The simple cartoon style pen and ink drawings with minimal color are very typical of Sandra Boyton’s illustrations. The layout works well for the story with two different fonts being used to represent ...more
Marcie
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with toddlers
We checked this out from the library and Amelia has demanded it be read to her three times a day--at least-- every day since. Really, she'd prefer reading it more, but Mommy can only handle so much of Pookie each day. It's a cute story though and I think what Amelia enjoys so much about it is the interactive nature of the story--she loves saying, "NO" to all of the questions-- and that it ends with a laugh; she starts laughing as she's turning to the last page. She'll definitely be getting this ...more
Ms. Arca
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one is great because it can be simple, but it lends itself to extensions as well. This makes it perfect for literacy practice since kids will have heard it a bunch of times and then can start doing some higher level thinking. What might be wrong with Pookie? What inferences could you make? What do you get upset about? How does —— help you feel better? It’s a great book that is light to talk about feelings and how they pass. Also it’s fun and I love when a mom character gets to be silly :). ...more
Isabella
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was super cute. Sandra Boynton is usually a big hit with my students. She knows when to be real and when to be ridiculous in the proper timing. Never fails to make my students laugh and me chuckle. :)
Kimberly
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Sandra Boynton, and I am totally going to steal her interrogation ideas.
Hope L. Justice
Just a sweet mother distracting her upset toddler. Adorable little Pookie!
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
I absolutely LOVE Sandra Boynton books! Little Pookie is a favorite! The books are so cute!

[image error]
Beth
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun.
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter l-o-v-e-s this book. It's definitely one of my favorite Boynton books for great rhyme and super silliness.
Kate
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
Very cute and silly. Exactly the kind of thing we like in this house.
Sara
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for some interactive reading! My daughter takes on the role of Pookie and repeats all of things Pookie says. We love the Spooky Pookie book, too!
Dan Hyer
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The Pookie stories are some of my children's favorites. We started reading them when they were around 3, and at 3.75 years old the girls are still enjoying them.
R.
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Kim
Nov 19, 2018 marked it as children-s-literature-own
Shelves: aac
Core AAC:

I use picture books to help my nonverbal son learn to use his augmentative alternative communication (AAC) device to speak. This book has been great for us to practice the words listed above.
Cara Byrne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
My toddler is a dedicated Pookie fan, though this book didn't resonant with her as much Let's Dance, Little Pookie or Spooky Pookie (which we read year round). As a parent helping my kiddo through toddlerhood, I laughed out loud and appreciated Boynton's humor.
Kathleen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's important for kids to know that it's okay to be sad or upset, even if they don't know why. While mommy pookie never really quite figures out why Little Pookie is crying, little ones can relate to sometimes just being sad.
Hannah
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soo funny!!
Emily Orgill
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of her books annoy me, but some are really cute. This definitely fits motherhood.
Emily Dougherty
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
o Grades K-2
o Animal fantasy
o This gives the child perspective that the thing that is making them upset is probably not tha big of a deal.
Robert Beveridge
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, What's Wrong, Little Pookie? (Robin Corey Books, 2007)

Boynton's first (of five, at least as of this writing) Pookie books features Pookie the pig and his long-suffering mother trying to figure out why the petulant little Pook is in a foul mood. Anyone who has ever had kids, or been in contact with them for a substantial amount of time, is going to empathize all too well, and Boynton's abilities with rhythm and rhyme are well-documented enough, I think, that I can simply mention
Joanne
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Sandy Boynton has a new book for kids! This one, like the others, features her cartoons of animal characters and is very funny. Unlike the others, it has kind of a call and response, so when I'm reading it to our oldest, he can do the parts of the piglet in the book.

The New York Times recently ran an article about Boynton, if you're interested: The Power of Whimsy.""
Erika Greenberg
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 11-month old son absolutely loves the Little Pookie books. I initially bought them because we've been calling him Pookie since he was born. I was delighted to find that the whimsical way the characters are written are both entertaining to my husband and me, and giggle-inducing to my little boy. This was the first board book my own little Pookie took interest in as anything more than a teething toy. He loves to look at the sweet pictures and turn the pages, and listen to us do the voices of ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
  • Gossie
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Baby Signs
  • Dr. Seuss's Book of Colors
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Rocket Science for Babies
  • Cement Mixer's ABC (Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site)
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad
  • Ten Tiny Toes
  • Jamberry
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Fox in Socks
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, ...more