Start by marking “Don't Call Me Dirty” as Want to Read:
Don't Call Me Dirty

Don't Call Me Dirty

After some time in a long distance sort-of-relationship with his crush, Shouji is crestfallen when weeks of getting ghosted finally result in a confession: his boyfriend just isn't gay. Having struggled with his sexuality for years, Shouji throws himself into his work to distract himself from the rejection but when a young homeless man called Hama shows up at the shop, ...more
Published December 31st 2019 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call Me Dirty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call Me Dirty

Start your review of Don't Call Me Dirty
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
An ARC was provided by TokyoPop/Diamond Book Distributors via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Gorou Kanbes Don't Call Me Dirty is the story of a chance friendship between a vagrant and a liquor store owners son that peeled away all insecurities until pure love revealed itself to these two young men whom society deemed dirty.

I was skeptical about getting a review copy of this book because the cover wasnt that appealing to me. Art plays a huge role in my decisions when it comes to picking manga
Vendea
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've received an e-ARC of this manga by publisher through Netgalley in exchange for honest review.

There's never enough BL and yaoi manga. Not for me. I was pleasantly surprised to find a few of them on Netgalley. When rating BL, I generally don't care for story as much as for the portrayal of actual relationship, sex scenes and for the most part, how much of blushing trash I become.

Don't Call Me Dirty by Gorou Kanbe is being published by Tokyopop and came out 31st December 2019. Compared to
Sherry
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it

The message of this manga is "Don't judge a book by its cover".

Hama is homeless, he's dirty and most people avoid him because a homeless man must surely be a bad person. Shouji, however, sees his pure heart and is determined to become Hama's friend. His efforts aren't quite unselfish though, because he's suffering from a break-up and he distracts himself by helping Hama.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a romantic build-up to their relationship.

Is there dub-con/non-con?
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Shoji is heartbroken when he realises that his boyfriend doesn't really love him. His boyfriend has simply been experimenting and using Shoji to see what it is like to be in a relationship with a man.

Shoji is heartbroken by his boyfriend's callous behaviour but these difficulties do not stop him from showing compassion to a homeless man called Hama.

Shoji works in his dad's shop and also helps out at his elderly neighbour's shop. As Shoji works out the pain of his broken heart he comes to
Cirilla
Great detailed art, lovely characters, nice story... and a wonderfully shy love story that isn't too dominant.
A.M.
This was honestly too cute. I've been wanting to read this for a while but it's been a hassle getting a hold of an app that can read the file type
Prince_Of_Books
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was...okay? The characters themselves are nice and I really connected with the main character Shouji...Like his story hit a little bit too close to home for me 😅

But the reason why this is a 3 star read is because...the relationship felt so rushed??? Like it wasnt slow burn...it was just...I dont feel that way about you to Oh snap I LIKE YOU TOO??

And Im just like...come on...gimme good relationship slow burn dang it
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is a stand alone story told in several chapters about life in a small town in Japan. The story focuses on boyish adult Shoji mostly but also brings in a host of small town characters. The plot is about what you would expect, though perhaps not with a focus on finding a hot guy in a homeless man so much as village life and getting over prejudices. The title refers both to homeless young man "Hama" as well as gay
H. Bentham
I needed a quick, light read between intense novels and I chanced upon this one while browsing for graphic novel ARCs and this was the perfect one for me!

Because I haven't read a lot of non-fantasy manga, I thought this was going to be a v light comedy and it kind of did start that way, with the same beat as K-dramas and J-doramas with a main character with a heart of gold crossing paths with an unlikely character in the form of a homeless man. And then it got a little darker when it is revealed
Vanessa (bookfairy95)
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was provided an eARC of this manga by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This has been the first manga I've read in about 1.5 to 2 years and I liked it.

First of all, I feel like the description promises something entirely different. The description says "When a young man takes in an unfortunate vagrant, helping him clean up and get back on his feet" and honestly this is not true at all. The young man befriends the homeless man, but he does not take him in, nor does he help him "clean
M.J. Lyons
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, lgbt, boys-love
Shouji is a young, emotionally volatile gay mess working at his internet-addicted fathers liquor store, while also often looking after neighbouring Old Man Kajis convenience store next door whenever the octogenarian(?!) increasingly falls asleep on the job. After a devastating breakup from his straight-curious boyfriend, Shouji finds himself comforted by Hama, a tall, quiet, honorable neighbourhood homeless man who pops by Kajis Convenience for cheap noodle cups.

Dont Call Me Dirty is a slice of
Siina
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: yaoi, e-books, beta-review
I was slightly skeptic about Don't Call Me Dirty, since the cover isn't the best really. Or the title either. I was wrong, this is actually a good yaoi story. It centers around Shouji, who works at a sake shop with his dad, but helps out the old man at the snack shop next door. Shouji's relationship with his boyfriend is not working and suddenly he meets this homeless guy, who calls himself Hama. Shouji learns to understand stuff through Hama and eventually falls in love with the literally dirty ...more
サヘリー
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this manga in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like when it comes to manga, you have to "judge" them with a different yardstick from the one you'd use for a Western novel.

I live in Japan, currently, but I'm a foreigner.
I see these attitudes (the ones towards Hama's homelessness and Shouji's homosexuality) even in the metropolis all the time, so it wasn't something that was alien or even particularly shocking to me. Sad?
Dylan
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, dirty!!! This manga was a huge surprise to me. I went into it expecting a decent cute BL story. What I got was one of the cutest BL stories I've ever read. I cried reading this, because the themes are so human and real. Wanting to belong to someone, longing for acceptance, anxiety, feeling "dirty" because of your sexuality.
What I really love about this is how it discusses misconceptions about both homeless people and being gay. We look at a homeless man and think "Ew, he's gross." When
Rena Freefall
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story tackled some heavy issues that I totally didn't expect. I'm not convinced that QUITE pulled it off, but they definitely made a good go of it, and made some really solid commentary on how society behaves around both the homeless and homosexuals with its different uses of the word 'dirty'.
The only reason I'm not sure it quite worked is because I felt some sort of disconnect with the story. I can't really say why - I don't think I grew as fond of Hama as I wanted to. I loved Shouji
Lecy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
This is a manga/graphic novel that I chose because the description sounded very interesting. However, when I read it, there were a few different things going on but none of it wound into a coherent story. I also struggled with the illustrations. They were done in a black and white pencil shading style and my eyes had a difficult time focusing on them. I didn't connect with this piece as a whole, but if you are into manga, you should give it a try. Someone who is into the genre might appreciate ...more
Nicki Markus
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-lgbt
Don't Call Me Dirty was a 3.5-star read for me. I liked the way the story looked at how the homeless and gay people can sometimes be viewed, with those attitudes helping to tie the characters together. I found some of the LGBT portrayal a little off-putting, but that may be because I am reading the story from a different cultural standpoint. Overall, though, it was a sweet story with a good message.

I received this book as a free eBook ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Tathy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This story is about a young man whoshows kindness to a homless man and along the way they develope feelings for eachother.

It was very touching, I really enjoyed their relathionship and the way it developed.
I also enjoyed how the word "Dirty" is used to reference the things that are deem wrong or disgusting by their society,like the homeless or homosexuality, booth of which are slightly touched on and affect the characters actions.
Lillian Francis
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute BL manga.
Slice of life story focused on a couple of shops. Gentle plot focused on an ailing shopkeeper and the young adult next door who helps him out. Comparisons are drawn between
Shouji's homosexuality and Hama's homelessness and how both are regarded in Japanese culture.
There are some lovely funny scenes with the children who regularly visit the store.

Clear consistent drawn characters.
Dani(elle)
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everything I was hoping for. The ages are a little too old for this to be called shonen-ai but it's not steamy enough to be much else. Super sweet, the manga addresses issues of homelessness and draws metaphorical parallels between that and homosexuality in away that clearly frames both in a empathetic and progressive way. Very nicely done. Major take away is dont date straight.
sam
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this manga was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was really cute at times and I enjoyed reading it, but it could have been a lot better. I liked the characters but it was slightly confusing at times. I wish they wouldnt just assumed that Hama was straight because it was obvious he felt something for Shouji.
Fae's Finds (aka Corrie)
DNF'd @ pg 58

I am so confused by what this story is supposed to be. It seems to be going in a couple different streams with no coherency. Props for the attempt. And the illustrations itself are nice.

If manga is your thing, give it a shot. Maybe you will understand it more than I did.
Jeff
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a different genre for me and I really enjoyed it. The illustrations are very nice and an interesting story. I thought it was a meaningful story exposing community and personal attitudes toward the homeless with a romantic twist.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Shelby
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought just based on the title that this was going to lean more towards comedy, but it was a surprisingly sweet, cute manga. I wasn't crazy about the art, but other than that, I can't say there was much to dislike about this.
lover-of-good-books
I expected more. As a person who enjoys manga and LGBTQ themes, I thought I would enjoy this and it was just meh. I couldn't get invested in the characters and it almost felt like I was going back and forth between time lines. The drawings were fine, but the story line needs a bit more work.
Alina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute B/B manga the tells a story of love lost and love found in the most unexpected place in a small prefecture in Japan. The story was interesting, cute, and a unique one shot. The drawing/illustrations are well done. The colors are warm and mute. I very much enjoyed this story.
Coltostallion
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute one-shot read. Not a lot of characterization for the MLI but can't be helped really. The ending was pretty sudden but again, it's a one-shot so to be expected.
Elaine White
** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Copy received through Netgalley

I loved this! It was a super cute story, with a lovely message, and some great art work.
I was nervous to start, because I thought it would be all about the love story of Shouji falling in love with a homeless man and taking him in, cleaning him up etc, but it was actually about a lot more than that.

This is a yaoi with heart, a touch of romance, and a whole lot of life lessons. From how to treat people, to hurt
Captain Comic Book
I went into this not expecting much but hoping for a solid love story. When I finally finished the book I was surprised by how emotional it had made me. Not to say that it doesn't have its problems - there are a lot of holes in the narrative that are left out for the sake of drama or to keep things brief - but I empathized with the main character and didn't find the story offencive or obnoxiously tropey.
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

While this book is about the budding romance between Shouji and Hama, it also forces the reader to take a look at their prejudices. In the case of this book, how people think of gay and homeless people and the labels we assign to them.

When it gets down to it, this book is adorable and also had me emotional. I really started feeling for the characters and getting so mad when others were being

• 凸凹シュガーデイズ (Deboko Sugar Days)
  • RePlay
  • Our Dining Table
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • そらいろフラッター 3巻
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 2
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1
  • 飴色パラドックス 4 (amber paradox #4)
  • Yarichin Bitch Club, Vol. 2